Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
it's about three years since i built my gaming pc and it still works with occasional upgrades, and i'm incredibly fucktarded

if i can do it, so can you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Remember to smear thermal paste on everything. Guaranteed to keep things cool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Logical Increments is garbage and the PC Building thread in SH/SC will tell you why.

I've already read that part of the OP before and I don't disagree that going by their price points and good/bad system is entirely arbitrary. Their star rating system is just bad and sort of pointless. If you did deeper research you could certainly find parts that would combine better with other stuff on the list whether they'd be more expensive or not. But also, if you want to build a PC that will play every videogame you could ever want to play and you are like that guy that doesn't want to read up on part compatibility (which is why I posted the link, because on Logcial Increments you don't have to do that), Logical Increments will do you just fine and you won't have to buy a drat Steambox.

It is better to do your own research when building a PC for yourself but there are alternatives if you don't want to. But don't buy a Steambox.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 6, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CJacobs posted:

I've already read that part of the OP before and I don't disagree that going by their price points and good/bad system is entirely arbitrary. Their star rating system is just bad and sort of pointless. If you did deeper research you could certainly find parts that would combine better with other stuff on the list whether they'd be more expensive or not. But also, if you want to build a PC that will play every videogame you could ever want to play and you are like that guy that doesn't want to read up on part compatibility (which is why I posted the link, because on Logcial Increments you don't have to do that), Logical Increments will do you just fine and you won't have to buy a drat Steambox.

Or you could just use the Build Thread itself and not have to worry about whether anyone you suggested Logical Increments to got stuck with an AMD CPU or a Gigabyte motherboard or a Crucial SSD or whatever. Remember that either the person who bought such a build or whoever they paid off to build it is going to be stuck with the tech support, so your "doesn't want to read up on part compatibility" claim is recklessly ignorant at best.

I'm not saying that anyone should get a prebuilt Steambox either and I can't even understand how you'd draw that conclusion. I AM saying your advice to use Logical Increments if you're not up for doing your homework to build a computer is bad for the same reason Logical Increments itself is bad.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 6, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

steambox sounds like it should be a lunch special at a chinese place

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
It sounds like it should be constantly hissing and threatening to explode

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Awesome! posted:

steambox sounds like it should be a lunch special at a chinese place

Well good thing they don't call it that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Or you could just use the Build Thread itself and not have to worry about whether anyone you suggested Logical Increments to got stuck with an AMD CPU or a Gigabyte motherboard or a Crucial SSD or whatever. Remember that either the person who bought such a build or whoever they paid off to build it is going to be stuck with the tech support, so your "doesn't want to read up on part compatibility" claim is recklessly ignorant at best.

I'm not saying that anyone should get a prebuilt Steambox either and I can't even understand how you'd draw that conclusion. I AM saying your advice to use Logical Increments if you're not up for doing your homework to build a computer is bad for the same reason Logical Increments itself is bad.

I built my PC with parts almost entirely cribbed from Logical Increments and I haven't had a single problem with it, at all, and I've put several upgrades into it since putting it together with no compatibility issues; so perhaps there's an element of confirmation bias on my part. The parts I chose were pretty standard "I want to play all the videogames" either way. I guess I can't really speak for whether Logical Increments is good OR bad because it worked out fine for me at a very reasonable price, but maybe it wouldn't for others with different needs. I wasn't saying that you were implying people should buy Steamboxes though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well good thing they don't call it that.

oh, word?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

About the only trouble with building a PC these days is making sure your PSU is good enough quality and has enough wattage to cover your CPU and GPU and that your CPU is inserted correctly without any bent pins. The rest is basically a matter of screws and connecting cables to whatever your motherboard manual says you've to connect to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What's the difference between Wasteland 2 and Wasteland 2: Digital Deluxe Edition?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Jamfrost posted:

Water-cooling is good, but thermal-paste-cooling would be better.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

What's the difference between Wasteland 2 and Wasteland 2: Digital Deluxe Edition?

Steam posted:

Classic Edition:
A free copy of Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic.
Mark Morgan's Wasteland 2 original sound track in digital format.
An incredible digital concept art book showcasing many of the world's characters and environments.

Digital Deluxe Edition:
A free copy of Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic.
A free copy of The Bard's Tale.
Three digital novellas set in The Wasteland world.
Mark Morgan's Wasteland 2 original sound track in digital format.
An incredible digital concept art book showcasing many of the world's characters and environments.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

You get the questionable quality Bard's Tale game and three novellas that should probably be grounds for the summary execution of their authors. Yes I read them, I wish I didn't.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ahh yes, pay money for "free" stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

You get the questionable quality Bard's Tale game and three novellas that should probably be grounds for the summary execution of their authors. Yes I read them, I wish I didn't.

Wasn't Patrick Rothfuss or someone writing a 'novel' for the game too, or was he in it for Torment? Who were the "authors" who wrote the novels for W2?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Wasn't Patrick Rothfuss or someone writing a 'novel' for the game too, or was he in it for Torment? Who were the "authors" who wrote the novels for W2?

Well, Stephen Blackmore and Nathan Long are two of them, and look, they're okay but nothing remarkable. That said, Nathan Long co-wrote two of the novellas with Michael Stackpole, soooooo.

And Pat Rothfuss is on Torment, yeah. Which you know, he's a good writer but his tendency towards Mary Sue so far might be a problem for a video game.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 6, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So this Savage Lands game that came out on Steam today is looking really interesting. I'm really tempted to pick it up. It's basically Skyrim meets a multiplayer survival sandbox simulator. It has all the rudimentary stuff survival games have like a need to eat, managing body heat, and hunting. Except it takes place in a low fantasy setting filled with monsters and horrible death awaiting around every corner.

Someone I was talking too on steam told me how a dragon torched the village they set up and chased everyone into the wilderness. Then a horde of skeletons ambushed the group and murdered everyone while they were huddled around a fire they had built outside to keep from freezing to death. It sounded pretty hilarious.

Anyone else have any experience with it? It's apparently in a really early alpha state so i'm leery of making a relatively blind purchase.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 6, 2015

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

WickedHate posted:

I...think I'll just get the SBX.

If you have an actual computer store somewhere around you, they'll likely be able to help you build a PC. Most places are cool like that if they're not a giant box store. They might charge you $100 to slap it together for you, but you'll get a better build than the cheapest steambox.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

So this Savage Lands game that came out on Steam today is looking really interesting.

Anyone else have any experience with it? It's apparently in a really early alpha state so i'm leery of making a relatively blind purchase.

When I played the pre-alpha-alpha or whatever two weeks ago it was awful. The dragon didn't do poo poo, the island is boring and the combat and survival mechanics are dull and lifeless.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Orv posted:

When I played the pre-alpha-alpha or whatever two weeks ago it was awful. The dragon didn't do poo poo, the island is boring and the combat and survival mechanics are dull and lifeless.

Goddamnit. Maybe I was being bullshitted then. I was really starting to get hyped for an honest to god survival sim in a fantasy setting too. :(

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Orv posted:

The Bard's Tale is hilarious, well worth it for the comedy value alone (and the gameplay, while unremarkable, is not bad). But you can get it cheaper standalone than through the Wasteland 2 DD edition.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Grimby posted:

If you have an actual computer store somewhere around you, they'll likely be able to help you build a PC. Most places are cool like that if they're not a giant box store. They might charge you $100 to slap it together for you, but you'll get a better build than the cheapest steambox.

This is a really excellent middle-ground solution.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Grimby posted:

If you have an actual computer store somewhere around you, they'll likely be able to help you build a PC.

I don't.

It'd be cool if the controller works just for the PC. Then I might just get it, because while TV gaming is nice and that'd be pretty awesome, all games forever being controller compatible is way cooler.

Also, a friend convinced me to get the Alienware one because they assured me their stuff is top notch. It kind of looks cool, too. I like the red and black colors, and the little alien symbol.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 6, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is it worth waiting to pick up Resident Evil 5 while it's on sale right now? Some have said that it's still integrated with GFWL, and that the DLC from the console versions will be added later.

In addition, is the DLC only for the multiplayer?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 6, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jamfrost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s--YUBNkHc8

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Anyone got thoughts on Tormentum - Dark Sorrow? I love classic adventure games and the art looks pretty good.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Why are there so many loving open-world survival games on steam? Now that's a genre that is oversaturated, moreso because it seems rare that they're legit good.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Did they disable comments because everyone kept telling them what a ludicrous amount of paste they were using?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Testekill posted:

Why are there so many loving open-world survival games on steam? Now that's a genre that is oversaturated, moreso because it seems rare that they're legit good.

Minecraft.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Is it worth waiting to pick up Resident Evil 5 while it's on sale right now? Some have said that it's still integrated with GFWL, and that the DLC from the console versions will be added later.

In addition, is the DLC only for the multiplayer? I've heard that the single player campaign for RE5 isn't that good if you're playing solo.

At some nebulous point RE5 will use Steamworks for its multiplayer but at this moment it still uses GFWL (which still works). The DLC will most likely be added for purchase at the same time that switch to Steamworks happens.

Having played the DLC on the PS3 with a friend it won't be any better playing it solo than the regular campaign, if not a bit more frustrating. You can still play it by yourself but I wouldn't recommend it if you have the option not to. The Jill/Chris campaign is sort of a slower paced puzzle thing, most of the time, where you constantly have to avoid an invincible (to your weapons) boss by manipulating various environments, ending with a second Wesker fight (the one in the flashbacks). The Jill/Josh campaign is basically more single player, but with an added Score Attack element.

If Steamworks is the reason you're waiting to buy it you might as well wait because there's been no further news on it since it was initially announced.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

mr. nobody posted:

This is a really excellent middle-ground solution.

I do this because sometimes they get better prices on the parts and because I can just send it there for repairs (two year warranty on the whole thing is really nice)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Testekill posted:

So much of the genre is about wandering around murky environments, struggling with a lovely UI, and dying suddenly to unfair bullshit that it's really easy to pull an Emperor's New Clothes and sell a broken unfinished game that nobody will acknowledge is terrible.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

More to the point, Minecraft became hugely popular with YouTube personalities and then by extension their fans. Then it became survival games in-general, and YouTube personalities would buy them on release day, play them, and then thousands of people would buy them because of the videos.

It doesn't matter how lovely they are, if a popular YouTuber plays it it'll make a ton of money.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That's, uh, just a bit too much.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Please be not-poo poo new RCT game. :ohdear:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Mr E posted:

Not for an AMD CPU :ohdear:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mr E posted:

Please, if you're not even going to immerse the entire thing in mineral oil then what's the point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

surprise it's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

"I'll just spread this around a little oops need to switch sides here well it's a bit over the eh this should work"

• Locked thread