Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Les Affaires posted:

What? No they don't.

So how come I don't get to be king?

WHAT NOW LES AFFAIRES

WHAT NOW

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
I want to be King of the Dongs

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Economic class is based on the distribution of numbers and colourful pieces of paper.

AM I BLOWING YOUR MIND

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Endman posted:

So how come I don't get to be king?

WHAT NOW LES AFFAIRES

WHAT NOW

:thurman:

The system works.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Me posting ITT:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
No rights but property rights

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

No rights but property rights

No rights but eat the rich.

Endman
May 18, 2010

hooman posted:

No rights but eat the rich.

This but unironically.

Spend Australia's entire R&D budget on supplements that make cannibalism safe then sell Gina, Clive, Twiggy, etc. to the National Pie company.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Tasmania: Does Pies & Cannibalism better.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i will defend clive to the death

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Endman posted:

Me posting ITT:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman posted:

Tasmania: Does Pies & Cannibalism better.

Lot of people getting baked in Tasmania.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

How long before Tone and Julie beg and grovel to get these drug fiends pardoned and sent home?

Threats of invasion. etc etc

the moment they die the libs will lose interest.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Taking a principled stand on capital punishment will mean a lot of nervous sidelong glances at the Americans, not to mention our concentration camps.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Kommando posted:

How long before Tone and Julie beg and grovel to get these drug fiends pardoned and sent home?

Threats of invasion. etc etc

the moment they die the libs will lose interest.

I think the smugglers will be executed well before abbott and bishop pass away, so this is a pretty big rabbit out of the hat...

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I support executions. I want to see people executed for every offense. I want pensioners hanged for jaywalking. I want students hanged for texting while walking. I want vegans hanged for veganism. I want to be hanged for shitposting. I want everyone to die, I want Australia to be an empty land owned only by kangaroos and feral cats. It is time. Let us have sex.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman posted:

Taking a principled stand on capital punishment will mean a lot of nervous sidelong glances at the Americans, not to mention our concentration camps.

Look at this person, look how naieve he is.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Avshalom posted:

I support executions. I want to see people executed for every offense. I want pensioners hanged for jaywalking. I want students hanged for texting while walking. I want vegans hanged for veganism. I want to be hanged for shitposting. I want everyone to die, I want Australia to be an empty land owned only by kangaroos and feral cats. It is time. Let us have sex.

You've found the one reasonable position to take in opposition to the reclassification of indigenous peoples as human beings rather than fauna.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Endman posted:

You've found the one reasonable position to take in opposition to the reclassification of indigenous peoples as human beings rather than fauna.
Well, I'm not a racist, so when I say "Execute all humans" I mean indigenous Australians as well. However, if a loophole can be arranged, I'm happy to see this proud sunburnt country return to its original owners once everybody else is dead. If that means classifying them as a species of wallaby then so be it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

I think the smugglers will be executed well before abbott and bishop pass away, so this is a pretty big rabbit out of the hat...

huh?

While a pleasant thought, abbot and bishop pushing daisies, i was meaning the moment the smugglers are declared dead the libs will move onto the other atrocities on their agenda.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What's with the sudden outbreak of quality posting?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Kommando posted:

huh?

While a pleasant thought, abbot and bishop pushing daisies, i was meaning the moment the smugglers are declared dead the libs will move onto the other atrocities on their agenda.

Oh. Ohhhhh...

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The terrorists engineered a sexually transmitted strain and now I'm spreading it to all corners of the globe.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anyway let's not discuss class and its origins, it is a futile discussion.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's because I am posting again.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Fruity Gordo posted:

It's because I am posting again.

Once again proving that the existence of matter requires the existence of anti-matter.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

:flame:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Oh sorry I forgot my passport

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Avshalom posted:

Well, I'm not a racist, so when I say "Execute all humans" I mean indigenous Australians as well. However, if a loophole can be arranged, I'm happy to see this proud sunburnt country return to its original owners once everybody else is dead. If that means classifying them as a species of wallaby then so be it.

The marsupials just stole Australia from the monotremes anyway.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

Anyway let's not discuss class and its origins, it is a futile discussion.

-- the bourgeoise

Endman
May 18, 2010

cpaf posted:

-- the bourgeoise

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Endman posted:

Oh sorry I forgot my passport

*Closes the grill, calls in the guards*

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

All glory to Auspolzka

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Gentleman Baller posted:

Agreed thats why I vote 1 greens 2 lnp. No real difference so who cares

Labor are better than the Liberals. This isn't a high bar. It's also certainly not enough of a bar for me to come out swinging in defense of the Gillard ministry.

Here's an example. In NSW, the possible privatisation of VET funding is an issue. The Liberals are implemented the "Smart and Skilled" reforms, with an aim of eventually making all VET funding contestable. Labor have responded with a 30% cap on contestable funding and a $100m increase in VET funding.

Labor's plan actually results in MORE profit directly from the treasury for private third-party VET providers than the Coalition plan.

As far as the lowest possible effort form of engagement with politics goes, sure, Labor deserve your second pref over the Libs. That's basically it, though.

Endman posted:

You should vote 1 Greens, 2 PUP to reward the courage displayed by comrade Clive in his attempts to get Tony to kill heself.

Unironically voted Greens 1, PUP 2, KAP 3, Labor 4, Liberal 5 last Federal election, and kept the same order (with extras inbetween) for the Senate. Come at me, bro.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

cpaf posted:

-- the bourgeoise

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

What a shame everyone in Australia isn't privileged enough to be able to vote 1 Andrew Wilkie and preference the Greens

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

cpaf posted:

What a shame everyone in Australia isn't privileged enough to be able to vote 1 Andrew Wilkie and preference the Greens

Endman
May 18, 2010

I voted 1 Wilkie, 2 Greens, 3 ALP and then the rest of the conservative rabble.

This was before I joined the Greens though.

Our Denison candidate, Anna Reynolds, hasn't really made much of an impression on me, to be honest.

So many TasGoons ITT

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Endman posted:

I voted 1 Wilkie, 2 Greens, 3 ALP and then the rest of the conservative rabble.

This was before I joined the Greens though.

Our Denison candidate, Anna Reynolds, hasn't really made much of an impression on me, to be honest.

So many TasGoons ITT

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if half the Denison Greens didn't vote 1 for Wilkie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Senate could investigate foreign bribery claims against Australian corporations

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/06/senate-could-investigate-foreign-bribery-claims-against-australian-corporations

quote:

Some of Australia’s top corporations, including BHP Billiton, Thiess and Leighton Holdings, could be brought before a Senate inquiry into foreign corrupt practices.
Labor senator Sam Dastyari told the Senate under parliamentary privilege on Thursday night that he has evidence to implicate a number of senior business figures in corrupt behaviour and will shortly move to establish an inquiry into the matter.
The probe will also take in the role of the Australian Security and Investment Commission (Asic) and the Australian Federal Police in tackling foreign bribery claims.

“Tonight I shall name persons associated with Leighton Holdings, Leighton Offshore and mining contractor Theiss. Let me be clear: I am not proposing an inquiry simply into Leighton, but Leighton serves as a powerful case study for foreign corrupt practices and how the powerful can exploit the system,” Dastyari said.

The senator outlined a number of allegations.
He said he had documents from a whistleblower that kickbacks “were paid to Leighton staff to divert steel from the construction of a barge in Batam … to build another barge for the Adani Group” in Gujarat, India.

“The memorandum states that approximately $500,000 Singaporean dollars worth of high tensile steel was procured but not required for a barge – the Eclipse – that Leighton was contracted to build.”
Dastyari said he also has a “transcript of a memo handwritten by another former Leighton CEO, David Stewart, that alleges Leighton paid millions in bribes via an NSC. An NSC is a nominated sub-contractor, which appears to be the preferred method of funnelling kickbacks.”
“Leighton employees Barry McCalla and Alan Fenwick allegedly witnessed bribes and corruption,” he said.
Other documents “suggest that Leighton’s subsidiary was paying Indonesian commandos and paramilitaries to do their dirty work during an industrial dispute with indigenous workers”.

“As part of the inquiry that I will propose, I will invite those named to present their side of the story but, I hasten to add, after consultation with law enforcement agencies I intend to use every power available to me through the Australian Senate to ensure that the allegations of corrupt behaviour by Leighton Holdings are properly aired,” Dastyari said.
“The scope of this issue is so large and the concerns are so many that, when you look at Leighton Holdings and BHP and start talking to the law enforcement agencies, the attorney general’s department and other relevant parties, we are going to find that it is even bigger, and needs and deserves to be explored,” he said.

Dastyari said that concerns that BHP Billiton was engaged in bribery before the 2008 Beijing Olympics also needed to be addressed.
The Labor senator said he wanted the inquiry to look at the powers of different agencies in tackling corruption overseas by Australian companies. The inquiry has the backing of the Greens a number of crossbench senators.
Dastyari points to the Australian Wheat Board oil for wheat scandal as an example of Australia’s poor track record on stamping out foreign corruption practices.

• Locked thread