Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea. they fixed that on the wii u at least :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone know any decent apps for this game? I checked out the GB beginner's guide and one of the dudes suggested using an app but didn't say which one.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Which resources, exactly? :shrug:

I think it's S.Magala's Caress+, which Kiranico says is a break item from that claw on Magala's wing and quest reward from the gathering hall rank 7 quest. I guess that kind of answers the question though, I'll just have to get better at the fight to be able to win it more consistently.

Jack Van Burace fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 6, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone know any decent apps for this game? I checked out the GB beginner's guide and one of the dudes suggested using an app but didn't say which one.

They're all android, but apparently mh4u hunters guide is good

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Got this sticker today:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I'm using "Simulator for MH4G" on iOS, it's a little janky since it's translated from Japanese but it has official English names for stuff and even has an rear end function

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CJacobs posted:

Once you get to a state where you have enough of these:

Always bring:
- 10 potions
- 10 mega potions
- 10 herbs (for making more potions on the spot)
- 10 blue mushrooms (same)
- 10 honeys (for making those potions into more mega potions)
- 10+ Whetstones, just in case
- The max of the best pickaxe type you have available
- Bug nets, although I don't really know if you'll use them that often
- Antidotes/other status ailment cures not provided by the mission box

Maybe bring:
- If you prefer using meat to regain your stamina, bring meat, otherwise just stick to the rations
- Extra paintballs in case you miss with the freebie(s) they give you
- Poop bombs on missions with multiple big monsters, for scaring the extras off so you can hunt them one on one

The reason I say "once you get to a state where you have enough" is because once you do get a full loadout, you can save it as an item set. Then you can go to the box outside of the area where you depart for the quest and choose to equip the set to automatically refill everything, as well as dump any carves you got in the box.

.... the gently caress...

20 mega potions and 10 Whetstones to kill one monster? Do you just constantly trade hits with it until it dies, while sharpening every time you lose 1mm of sharpness bar? Joking aside, this is what I bring to end game runs (I have wide range+2 and mushromancer, so the blue mushrooms and regular pots are for healing other people):

- 10 regular pots
- 10 blue shrooms
- 10 dragon shrooms
- 10 antidote
- 5 pickaxe/net
- 3 Whetstones
- 4 welldone steak
- 3 paintballs
- 1 shock trap
- 1 pitfall trap
- 3 dung bombs
- 3 lifepowder
- 1 armorpowercharmtalon (4 slots total)

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Note: When I say I brought all the stuff, I never use 95% of it, it's just me being festidious and a carry-over from when I was playing FU and having issues starting out in G rank.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

How do I do the Guild Rank 7 Molten Tigrex quest? Kiranico says one exists but it is not on my list.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Do monsters who run away regain health? Chain this kecha all over the dam place.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Verisimilidude posted:

He is probably talking about pings dex which is a windows application that has all the information if you are near a computer while hunting.

https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex/en_us

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Ethiser posted:

How do I do the Guild Rank 7 Molten Tigrex quest? Kiranico says one exists but it is not on my list.
You have to hit the HR requirement, I think it's HR50? It's not immediately unlocked.

Bombadilillo posted:

Do monsters who run away regain health? Chain this kecha all over the dam place.
Only if they sleep, and even then, it's a small amount. Congalala can eat certain mushrooms to heal.

cat doter posted:

I hate nintendo
If you're in the same gathering hall, you can send a friend request via the in game menu, which is an actual friend request instead of code trading.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

I have played this series for nearly 10 years now, reaching end game with everyone I've played.

And I never knew you could do this, I always assumed you could only have one set :negative:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Thanks.

If I want to farm something that's not a big monster is there a way to just go into the wilderness? Or do I pick a easy get 5 mushroom quests to do it.

The 'just one more thing' grinding is getting a hold of me, I can upgrade my axe with just this, or just that.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Thanks.

If I want to farm something that's not a big monster is there a way to just go into the wilderness? Or do I pick a easy get 5 mushroom quests to do it.

The 'just one more thing' grinding is getting a hold of me, I can upgrade my axe with just this, or just that.

Later on you get missions where you can just go into areas with no objectives and gather/hunt to your heart's content. Just carry on with the story and they should unlock.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It might not be very good for HR..

But i'm so cute I don't even care :allears:

Fashion Hunter is always the correct choice.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 6, 2015

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Had a fairly productive expedition just now.
Found 2 pieces of rusted blademaster chest armor (30 def, +2 avarice/20 defense +2 status resist)

Caught my first and second monsters (Velocidrome and Yian Kut-Ku), I think I might actually have a decent understanding of how to do trap poo poo.
And managed to take down a second velocidrome through a combination of beating on it with a long sword and managing to feed it some paralyzing meat.

Couple questions:
How do I make the rusted armor usable? I have abrasives, but I can't figure out how to use them on the pieces in my storage.

And where in the hell can I find medium monster bones so I can upgrade my long sword. I'm still using the Large Bone.

I'm fairly early in the game, literally just unlocked the merchant guy. I've just been grinding monster bits so I can complete a set of velociprey armor before I go to the next area.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

the_steve posted:

Had a fairly productive expedition just now.
Found 2 pieces of rusted blademaster chest armor (30 def, +2 avarice/20 defense +2 status resist)

Caught my first and second monsters (Velocidrome and Yian Kut-Ku), I think I might actually have a decent understanding of how to do trap poo poo.
And managed to take down a second velocidrome through a combination of beating on it with a long sword and managing to feed it some paralyzing meat.

Couple questions:
How do I make the rusted armor usable? I have abrasives, but I can't figure out how to use them on the pieces in my storage.

And where in the hell can I find medium monster bones so I can upgrade my long sword. I'm still using the Large Bone.

I'm fairly early in the game, literally just unlocked the merchant guy. I've just been grinding monster bits so I can complete a set of velociprey armor before I go to the next area.

You need to talk to the Relic NPC near the Harth chief to use abrasives. If you don't know how to get to Harth then you're not far enough into the game.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
The way I understand cutting: you can do all of the damage to, say, a tail with a hammer. Then someone just needs to cut the tail off with cutting damage.

Someone was saying this changed in 3U. Is that true?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So Ruby Basarios is just a random chance to find in expedition? I need crit draw gems, this is some bullshit

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
loving hell, the game is actually taunting me at this point. I have four Magala plates, but I'm still short 1 feeler and like a dozen shells or some crazy number. Similarly, I have 4 or 5 Rathalos plates but I'm short Tails and Shells to trade for Duramboros parts (and also for upgrading weapons but I want that sweet Beefy Barbarian armor).
I've played every game past MHF, and I've never managed to get more than one Plate/Gem/Mantle from anything before, if that. MHFU even had that godawful massive-dragon-element GS that required 5 of each Rath plate to rub it in. This time round it seems the opposite, I have more plates than I can actually use, because I don't have the common and uncommon materials to make loving anything. It's a weird feeling being annoyed getting a plate from a tail carve.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Riftling posted:

The way I understand cutting: you can do all of the damage to, say, a tail with a hammer. Then someone just needs to cut the tail off with cutting damage.

That's the way that cutting damage worked in MHFU and earlier. In Tri they changed it so only cutting damage contributes to the tail coming off.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

BabyRyoga posted:

.... the gently caress...

20 mega potions and 10 Whetstones to kill one monster? Do you just constantly trade hits with it until it dies, while sharpening every time you lose 1mm of sharpness bar? Joking aside, this is what I bring to end game runs (I have wide range+2 and mushromancer, so the blue mushrooms and regular pots are for healing other people):

- 10 regular pots
- 10 blue shrooms
- 10 dragon shrooms
- 10 antidote
- 5 pickaxe/net
- 3 Whetstones
- 4 welldone steak
- 3 paintballs
- 1 shock trap
- 1 pitfall trap
- 3 dung bombs
- 3 lifepowder
There's no reason to not bring a full stack of something. It's not like you have a weight cap, you just have a slot cap. I've never been like "I have 23 extra paintballs left, what a drag."

e: My full loadout that is excessive but I see no reason to pare down is:
10 Potions
10 Mega Potions
2 Max Potions (for if I cart)
Power/armor stuff
10 Well-done Steak
5 Mosswine Jerky
15 Paintball
5 Flash Bomb
10 Sonic Bomb
10 Dung Bomb
6 Tranq Bomb
1 Pitfall Trap
1 Shock Trap
5 Mega Pickaxe
5 Mega Bug Net
16 Whetstone
1 Farcaster

And if I'm actively using Widerange, I'll bring a stack of herbs/mushrooms. With the addition of the field pouch there's a ton of room and it's better to be overprepared.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 6, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm progressing through the story and I just got Wystones. Not sure if I should take a break here and head for HR 7 instead or what because I feel like I should be upgrading my stuff, but I can barely upgrade any of it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
What's a good early G-rank S+1 armor set? I just finished caravan HR and I'll probably be done with Guild HR soon.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ambi posted:

loving hell, the game is actually taunting me at this point. I have four Magala plates, but I'm still short 1 feeler and like a dozen shells or some crazy number. Similarly, I have 4 or 5 Rathalos plates but I'm short Tails and Shells to trade for Duramboros parts (and also for upgrading weapons but I want that sweet Beefy Barbarian armor).
I've played every game past MHF, and I've never managed to get more than one Plate/Gem/Mantle from anything before, if that. MHFU even had that godawful massive-dragon-element GS that required 5 of each Rath plate to rub it in. This time round it seems the opposite, I have more plates than I can actually use, because I don't have the common and uncommon materials to make loving anything. It's a weird feeling being annoyed getting a plate from a tail carve.

For the feelers, at least, break Gore's head while he's enraged and has those feelers up. That will be a 100% chance of them dropping. Otherwise I think they're a not-too-common capture drop, and that's it, you don't get them otherwise. So that would solve that one problem of yours at least.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I try to keep my inventory as lean as possible to shorten the item scrolling heh

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why would you ever take a stack of just 3 dung bombs

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Same with whetstones, you can carry 20 and they're super cheap

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Help Im Alive posted:

Same with whetstones, you can carry 20 and they're super cheap

I only take 10 whetstones because of all the value lost if I mine something and I get a whetstone I can't carry.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Ojetor posted:

I only take 10 whetstones because of all the value lost if I mine something and I get a whetstone I can't carry.

Same. That 80z adds up. I also raid the supply chest for paintballs and ammo if there are no gunners because free is free.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It might not be very good for HR..

But i'm so cute I don't even care :allears:

What armor is this? I need it for online.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Riftling posted:

Apparently this was only true in 3U and previous versions. In 4U each part has a specific health for the required damage to cut/break it and no amount of the incorrect damage point will help in cutting/breaking the part. That said, not many parts do this, it's mostly just tails.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thoom posted:

What armor is this? I need it for online.

It's the Bhanabara armor. It's a pain to get because you have to kill bugs with poison to be able to carve them, but that's the price for being a princess.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Haquer if you spin in a circle you can get out of the snowball faster

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
What's the incentive for completing all the quests in a tank for online of offline? I know doing villager requests Is good and gets new stuff.

I'm Hunter rank 5 and 9 for guild and story respectively, I feel like I should have seen a Brachydios by now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Was just playing the MH4U demo to test out a new weapon class, during it the cats that the demo gave me turned into a battle tank and started shooting fireballs.

Both cats were piloting the tank together. :stare: I've never seen that before.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Zaphod42 posted:

Was just playing the MH4U demo to test out a new weapon class, during it the cats that the demo gave me turned into a battle tank and started shooting fireballs.

Both cats were piloting the tank together. :stare: I've never seen that before.

That's the Wrath of Meow ability, and it's pretty great. There's others where the cats jump on a monster's face and start clawing its eyes out and things like that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Moon Man posted:

What's the incentive for completing all the quests in a tank for online of offline? I know doing villager requests Is good and gets new stuff.

I'm Hunter rank 5 and 9 for guild and story respectively, I feel like I should have seen a Brachydios by now.

There's a Brachydios quest in Caravan 6, it's part of a questline. You should really just do every quest in Caravan since they can be pre-reqs for unexpected things. I think there's a Brach fight in HR3 or so, though.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
It's nice that this series still honors traditions. Like Rathalos still having a mindbendingly bullshit homing poison claw.

Gonna go crazy if I don't find a way to fight HR Ruby Basarios soon. I need sheathing jewels or I'll need a new 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Sard posted:

It's nice that this series still honors traditions. Like Rathalos still having a mindbendingly bullshit homing poison claw.

Gonna go crazy if I don't find a way to fight HR Ruby Basarios soon. I need sheathing jewels or I'll need a new 3DS.

I have a ruby basarios guild quest, hop into the irc and yell at me and I'll send it to you

You'll have to grind it up to HR if I understand how sharing guild quests qorks but it's better than nothing I guess? v:v:v

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 6, 2015

• Locked thread