Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It'd either have to be really sturdy or really cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

^^^
Yep, I got your solution right here!

warderenator posted:

Someone needs to design a robot that can clear minefields. Seems like it should be doable.

Human life is cheaper, especially in places recently devastated by years of civil war.

:(

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
My dad took part in the revolution (Iranian), and he put it really well. Iran has always been a leader based culture, one of the reason the Arab spring really didn't gain ground there and partially why the green revolution puttered out. There was no leaders for the communists and the war with Iraq sped things up post revolution. After that a bunch of them were executed and a lot just fled the country. It will be hard for Iran to really give up the idea of having revolutions or try change without leading them. Look at the sect of Islam that they follow, it is all about 12 divinely inspired imams coming back and leading them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fade5 posted:

Well, the Kurds taking Gire Sipi/Tal Abyad may have just gotten harder/more bloody:

ISIL is putting up a loving minefield west of Gire Sipi/Tal Abyad.:stare:

Crazy motherfuckers, they really are in this for the long haul.:stare:

Mines are warfare 101, of course they will use mines if they have any available. Everyone uses them when possible. But worry not, they will not inconvenience combat operations that much!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Mozi posted:

It'd either have to be really sturdy or really cheap.

http://www.wired.com/2013/03/minesweeper/

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

That really is a beautiful design/photo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i am like 95% certain that the job could be done cheaper and better by trained dudes with the appropriate gear

clearing mines really isn't that expensive, which only makes it more atrocious that we're so loving slow about it

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When the US invaded Iraq I recall one member of the coalition offered monkeys that you would set loose in a minefield to disarm it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I remember that. Where did Canada even find those monkeys?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

McDowell posted:

When the US invaded Iraq I recall one member of the coalition offered monkeys that you would set loose in a minefield to disarm it.
Were they french?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Grouchio posted:

Were they french?

No I think they were from Southeast Asia.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grouchio posted:

Were they french?

The French weren't part of the Coalition, don't you remember the era of "Freedom Fries" and all that dumb poo poo?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

The French weren't part of the Coalition, don't you remember the era of "Freedom Fries" and all that dumb poo poo?
I was trying to make the zinger you cheese.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Guys it was Morocco with the monkeys, in the lounge

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jagchosis posted:

Guys it was Morocco with the monkeys, in the lounge

Monkeys are an effective means of mine disposal.

Too bad the Assyrians chopped down all the forests of the mid-east, those monkeys would've come in real handy right about now.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There are actually specially bred/trained rats that can smell and identify mines. It's kinda neat.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like the solution after World War 2 where the allies made the Germans clean up their own mines, and then made them march over the locations afterward to make sure that they were extra thorough.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://news.yahoo.com/bulldozed-ancient-assyrian-city-nimrud-iraq-govt-203312292.html
God it breaks my heart seeing priceless historical sites being needlessly destroyed. :smith:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

I like the solution after World War 2 where the allies made the Germans clean up their own mines, and then made them march over the locations afterward to make sure that they were extra thorough.

Except the Germans, being Germans, had marked the location of every mine and kept the records. The fun came when they had to clean up other people's mines.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

achillesforever6 posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/bulldozed-ancient-assyrian-city-nimrud-iraq-govt-203312292.html
God it breaks my heart seeing priceless historical sites being needlessly destroyed. :smith:

Seeing historical artifacts destroyed is preferable than seeing ISIS earn money from selling them on the black market.

Not that it matters for historical sites like this. I doubt they'd rake in the tourist dollars anyway.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Scaramouche posted:

There are actually specially bred/trained rats that can smell and identify mines. It's kinda neat.

Yeah. They're three feet long and commonly found in Brooklyn.

No, I'm not joking. Nambian Pouched Rats, if I recall correctly.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Monkeys are an effective means of mine disposal.

Too bad the Assyrians chopped down all the forests of the mid-east, those monkeys would've come in real handy right about now.

How about unleash some honey badgers on the minefields, they are tough little critters

quote:

During the British occupation of Basra, in 2007 rumours of "man-eating badgers" emerged from the local population, including allegations that these beasts were released by the British troops, something that the British categorically denied. A British army spokesperson said that the badgers were "native to the region but rare in Iraq" and "are usually only dangerous to humans if provoked".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_badger

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Scaramouche posted:

There's also this. Not practical for this situation but might be handy for places that aren't active battlefields.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Scapegoat posted:

How about unleash some honey badgers on the minefields, they are tough little critters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_badger

Military simulation software program Far Cry 4 demonstrates that Honey Badgers could be quite effective in solving the ISIS problem as well.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jonad posted:

Military simulation software program Far Cry 4 demonstrates that Honey Badgers could be quite effective in solving the ISIS problem as well.

As it also suggests that eagles would be by far the most affective tool in taking care of any armed militias and religious fundamentalist, I'm not sure it's predictions can be entirely trusted....

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Yeah. They're three feet long and commonly found in Brooklyn.

No, I'm not joking. Nambian Pouched Rats, if I recall correctly.

Spelling error aside, he's really not kidding.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Welp, i never thought i would ever say that but "i am happy European powers pillaged so many important historical artifacts from the middle east during the previous two centuries to put them inside their museums".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Al-Saqr posted:

because it's a natural ending to a dictator who with full support from the west destroyed any possibility for democracy and peaceful change in his country through a huge police state, and when the revolution kicked off he killed thousands of people with the army, leading to only the most radical people to end up being strong enough to take control once he hosed off.

gee I wonder what other countries in the region fit that description?!

Besides there being more head scarves in the streets, the youth of Iran is still very much in touch with Western fashion trends, actually. It didn't die out with the Shah's fall.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

Seeing historical artifacts destroyed is preferable than seeing ISIS earn money from selling them on the black market.

Not that it matters for historical sites like this. I doubt they'd rake in the tourist dollars anyway.

The cynical view is that ISIS have already looted the portable stuff from the museum in order to sell; what's being smashed and bulldozed is the stuff that's too inconvenient to move. Rather than being a high-minded religious thing, it's quite a useful distraction from where the rest of the exhibits went. As distractions go it's a good one, because it's appalling.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
In the book version of Fight Club Tyler Durden wants to blow up museums to free people from the past.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

richardm posted:

The cynical view is that ISIS have already looted the portable stuff from the museum in order to sell; what's being smashed and bulldozed is the stuff that's too inconvenient to move. Rather than being a high-minded religious thing, it's quite a useful distraction from where the rest of the exhibits went. As distractions go it's a good one, because it's appalling.

P.sure this is true. On the radio the other week someone who used to head the Mets art crime unit said there's been a huge spike in artifacts from the middle east being sold.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

fade5 posted:

I get that there was the Islamic Revolution in 1979, but God it's depressing knowing that Iran once looked like that. Seriously, how the gently caress did everything change so fast, and so drastically?

:sigh:

If you think thats depressing then just go Google Afghanistan in the 60s.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So it looks like those tiny pockets of ISIL fighters are just about gone on the Euphrates river. Shiyukh is now fully in YPG/J control, and ISIL has retreated to Jarabulus.

https://twitter.com/mib___/status/573733812674433024

quote:

Shiyukh now fully in YPG/J control. ISIS blew up the bridge to Jarablus when their remaining forces fled.
Oh yeah, ISIL blew up the loving bridge to Jarabulus after retreating, because "salt the earth" is apparently SOP for them.:stare:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 6, 2015

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Dilkington posted:

I'm going to plagarise myself:

Khomeini outmaneuvered the anti-imperial left by taking the embassy and calling the siege of Mecca a false flag operation by the USA. He blamed acts of anti-government terrorism on SAVAK (so leftist guerillas wouldn't get credit). Most importantly, he and Shariati contextualized the people’s struggle as having continuity with Shia national and religious myth: the men, women, and children tortured or shot in the streets were martyrs after the followers of Al-Husayn ibn Ali, and the shah a modern Yazid (no relation to the Yazidis), the legendary rassenfeind.

This succeeded in creating a a rhetorical continuity between the struggle against foreign domination and the internal struggle against the secular modernists.

The Tudeh Party made the mistake of thinking they could survive by using the Islamists against competing leftist groups while conducting their own political retrenchment (until such time when their Soviet masters would have them put Khomeini against the wall).

Oops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1hcWTbeM4M&t=63s
دهانمان را بو كردند
حرف عشق را زده بودیم
به تازیانه مان بستند

The Tudeh Party was thoroughly marginalized by the time of Iran-Contra; there was very little "exposing" to be done. Khomeini had the Pasdaran and the Basij and the army. He had made sure from the beginning he controlled the revolutionary narrative. The idea that they could have usurped the revolution from the Council, especially after betraying anti-Khomeini groups, is fantasy. By 1983, the only thing that could have saved them was a Soviet invasion.

Can you recommend some reading material?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I've heard it mentioned that when Iraq fell and the army was disbanded, a good chunk of the now unemployed officer corps ran off to join the various islamist militias.

I've always wondered why? Wasn't the officer corps nominally Baathist? And wasn't Baathism supposed to be a secularish pan-arab ideology?

Did they just pay better than the non-islamist militias?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grouchio posted:

I was trying to make the zinger you cheese.

:spergin: 4-lyfe

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

fade5 posted:

So it looks like those tiny pockets of ISIL fighters are just about gone on the Euphrates river. Shiyukh is now fully in YPG/J control, and ISIL has retreated to Jarabulus.

https://twitter.com/mib___/status/573733812674433024

Oh yeah, ISIL blew up the loving bridge to Jarabulus after retreating, because "salt the earth" is apparently SOP for them.:stare:

Blowing bridges to slow the progress of your opponents is retreating 101

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah I wouldn't put the destruction of bridges on the same level as looting and destroying museums or scorched-earth tactics.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Bulldozing Nimrud is not.

We can't kill these fucks fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

richardm posted:

This is exactly what it is. Your typical agencies have been cracking down in response, but it's still a huge source of revenue for ISIS.

• Locked thread