Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Er, did a recent patch make it so you can't use seeds on any of the characters when unlocking the Lost?

I just attempted to unlock him using the seeds for Isaac, Maggy, and Judas on this page. But when I died as Azazel, nothing happened.

I was definitely stepped on by Mom during my Judas run, and I let Satan shoot me to death in his second phase. I did not seed Azazel.

I didn't even have the classic music mod in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I really wish I had more incentive to go to Sheol. To be honest since I finished all the Lamb unlocks, I haven't bothered going to Sheol more than... Once or twice? And that was by accident.

Getting the chest items is just so fun :3:

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Codiekitty posted:

Er, did a recent patch make it so you can't use seeds on any of the characters when unlocking the Lost?

I just attempted to unlock him using the seeds for Isaac, Maggy, and Judas on this page. But when I died as Azazel, nothing happened.

I was definitely stepped on by Mom during my Judas run, and I let Satan shoot me to death in his second phase. I did not seed Azazel.

I didn't even have the classic music mod in place.

Did you die to satan's brimstone? Don't do that, just run into him until you die. You can use seeds.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I just had an infinite Undefined run going that I ended after getting nothing but HP Ups. That was fun. A bit disappointing when my giant scythes got overwritten, but not as disappointing as knowing it's impossible to break the game any harder than I already did.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Pivotal Lever posted:

Did you die to satan's brimstone? Don't do that, just run into him until you die. You can use seeds.

It wasn't his Brimstone, but his spherical shots. I'll try direct contact after gather the will to try again.

Do you have to have the Missing Poster unlocked to unlock the Lost?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I was going to do a quick throwaway Azazel run to try and get the last two items, I need, but when the game hands you Ludovico first thing you might as well see it through to the end as thanks.

Edit: Or maybe I should discard this run out of spite for letting me fight Steven and then giving me Little Steve.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

I just had an infinite Undefined run going that I ended after getting nothing but HP Ups. That was fun. A bit disappointing when my giant scythes got overwritten, but not as disappointing as knowing it's impossible to break the game any harder than I already did.

It feels like certain things just "stick" when you're rerolling your whole character. Once you're lord of the flies, it's not going away. It doesn't seem like the HP ups go away either. I had a fun D100 game going the other day, but I ended up with a Cursed Eye/Soy Milk combination that would never go away.

I think one or two rerolls with a dice room or something is the optimal play. Everytime I've rerolled into something insanely broken, it's been on the first or second.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've seen the Monster Manual literally one time since December, even with D6 Isaac runs. I'm beginning to think level 4 Meat Boy and Bandage Girl don't exist and are some kind of elaborate joke I'm not in on.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I finally cleared Family Man by ending up with a level 3 Bandage Girl, without trying for it. Probably for the best that didn't happen on a real run, or I'd have been pissed.

I just need to clear Dark Room with Azazel, and then I'm done with everything except meat boy/bandage girl and The Lost. Ergh.

Edit: Oh, also, I'm still running 1.0.1 on Vita. Last I checked, the current Vita version is 1.0.3, and I've lost track of which updates in which versions have which bugs. Any reason I shouldn't update finally?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 6, 2015

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

PostNouveau posted:

It feels like certain things just "stick" when you're rerolling your whole character. Once you're lord of the flies, it's not going away. It doesn't seem like the HP ups go away either. I had a fun D100 game going the other day, but I ended up with a Cursed Eye/Soy Milk combination that would never go away.

I think one or two rerolls with a dice room or something is the optimal play. Everytime I've rerolled into something insanely broken, it's been on the first or second.

Lord of the Flies and Guppy both stay even if you reroll, since they aren't items, just triggered states. You'll also retain credit towards building them if you reroll their components, you don't need three guppy items at the same time to trigger cat mode. Health seems to work the same way, and I think some (all?) stats do as well but haven't confirmed.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I filled my donation machine only for it to blow up and go down to 0 coins? That's sure a pain in the rear end.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Xeras posted:

I filled my donation machine only for it to blow up and go down to 0 coins? That's sure a pain in the rear end.

You went over 999. :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rollersnake posted:

I just need to clear Dark Room with Azazel, and then I'm done with everything except meat boy/bandage girl and The Lost. Ergh.

Edit: Oh, also, I'm still running 1.0.1 on Vita. Last I checked, the current Vita version is 1.0.3, and I've lost track of which updates in which versions have which bugs. Any reason I shouldn't update finally?

You can't get The Godhead (and hence RPG) on 1.01

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finally got Real Platinum God! Got the Epic Fetus, Pyromaniac, Sharp Plug combo that let me roll the chest into a monster manual that eventually yielded a bandage girl.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

SavTargaryen posted:

that's totally Capricorn. Good find, self.

Libra with ipecac and that setup is not recommended unless you want to personally experience what it's like to get shelled.

If the top line of Libra wasn't curved it'd look like an equal sign. Maybe this is a thing that only works for me but that's how I remember.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Looks like the Omega symbol to me, as in "your broken run ends here" (unless you find soy milk).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Capricorn is like an n with a curly tail, Libra is an underlined omega.

I still check on http://platinumgod.co.uk when I'm picking up drugs/zodiac items :ssh:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The ones I always mix up are Gemini and Pisces, as well as Scorpio and Virgo. Thankfully they're all worth picking up, so it doesn't really matter.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Oh I meant I could keep using Undefined in the Chest to teleport into the I Am Error room, thereby restarting the Chest. Yeah it sucks that you can get Soy Milk with any of the character-reroll effects and the damage down will stick forever. It should be overwritable - of course the tradeoff is that you can lose Guppy or Lord of the Flies, but whatever.

Also, in hindsight, I realized that most of the items that Edmund spoiled for Rebirth during its hype phase were items no one would ever really want... or mediocre at best:

Starter Deck
AAA Battery (Trinket)
Monstro's Lung (I've learned to love this item as long as my tear rate is fast enough)
Guppy's Collar (Really does nothing except be a Guppy item)
The Jar
Wiggle Worm/Ring Worm
Mom's Perfume
Champion Belt (I take it if I have the money and am already super powerful, but kind of meaningless in hard mode)
Tiny Planet

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
The starter deck is absurdly powerful and you should pick it up every time you see it.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Hooray! While trying to get my Lamb kill on Hard with Maggie, I actually managed to get a full Bandage Girl! Now all I have left is Satan and Lamb and Boss Rush on The Lost and I think 6 items to find. It's only taken me a few hundred hours! :suicide:

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I still check on http://platinumgod.co.uk when I'm picking up drugs/zodiac items :ssh:

I see that chart is organized alphabetically, but if you don't know what an item is called how are you supposed to find it? I would have grouped the items by color.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Codiekitty posted:

I see that chart is organized alphabetically, but if you don't know what an item is called how are you supposed to find it? I would have grouped the items by color.

If you know vaguely what an item does, you can type that in to narrow down the possibilities. You can even type "zodiac" to search for all the zodiac items. And if you don't know what an item does at all or what it's called, you obviously haven't been playing enough Isaac and you should pick it up anyway because that's part of the game!

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

If you know vaguely what an item does, you can type that in to narrow down the possibilities. You can even type "zodiac" to search for all the zodiac items. And if you don't know what an item does at all or what it's called, you obviously haven't been playing enough Isaac and you should pick it up anyway because that's part of the game!

Though, even for a player like me (im at ~75 hours, so not new but not near the 300+ of some of yall) it is sometimes hard to remember what an item does when seeing it on the pedestal, because quite a few items look very similar. And then I'll spend like 5 mildly annoying minutes searching platinumgod for the item. :effort:

But overall yes platinumgod is an incredibly handy tool.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

TheModernAmerican posted:

The starter deck is absurdly powerful and you should pick it up every time you see it.

Absolutely, 2 emperor cards or emperor and chaos makes the end of the game a breeze, and this is just the most obvious combo I could think of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Spoken like someone who hasn't done enough Lost runs.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Codiekitty posted:

There's an option to sort them by color instead of alpha.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

chrisf posted:

There's an option to sort them by color instead of alpha.

Oh, I missed that because I had NoScript in effect. My bad.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh I meant I could keep using Undefined in the Chest to teleport into the I Am Error room, thereby restarting the Chest. Yeah it sucks that you can get Soy Milk with any of the character-reroll effects and the damage down will stick forever. It should be overwritable - of course the tradeoff is that you can lose Guppy or Lord of the Flies, but whatever.

Also, in hindsight, I realized that most of the items that Edmund spoiled for Rebirth during its hype phase were items no one would ever really want... or mediocre at best:

Starter Deck
AAA Battery (Trinket)
Monstro's Lung (I've learned to love this item as long as my tear rate is fast enough)
The Jar
Wiggle Worm/Ring Worm
Mom's Perfume
Champion Belt (I take it if I have the money and am already super powerful, but kind of meaningless in hard mode)
Tiny Planet

Champion belt is a large damage up, I always go out of my way to make sure I can get it if I see it in the shop. Tiny planet can be great with the right setup: coal, parasite and crickets body are all good with it, it takes a while to ramp up but then will destroy everything.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
That said, the blog played it up as a tradeoff that would make the game more difficult when in actuality it makes playthroughs a lot easier since more champions = more pickups. So I'd say failed in that purpose, but it's still a really good item.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Pivotal Lever posted:

Absolutely, 2 emperor cards or emperor and chaos makes the end of the game a breeze, and this is just the most obvious combo I could think of.

Well it's way more than nifty combos (or blank card shenanigans) it's stuff like blowing up mushrooms and getting cards with a higher chance than getting cards from skulls, or getting mom's bottle of pills and having 4 cards pop out, or finding the 5 pill super secret room and having them all be cards. It's just fantastic, especially because the came considers runes cards so you find them all over too.

And champion belt is a must buy if you're in normal mode, but it's a bit iffier in hard. The guaranteed drops are a godsend sometimes.

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 6, 2015

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So I tried to unlock the Missing Poster just in case it's needed to unlock The Lost? Got to the Dark Room, and got ripped apart by a double Adversary room :toot:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Which reminds me, the other day I had a double Adversary room in the Chest and they killed each other with their Brimstone attacks. :v:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Codiekitty posted:

So I tried to unlock the Missing Poster just in case it's needed to unlock The Lost? Got to the Dark Room, and got ripped apart by a double Adversary room :toot:

Don't even think about the lost until you have all of the character unlocks and the ____boy achievements.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

senae posted:

Don't even think about the lost until you have all of the character unlocks and the ____boy achievements.

Oh, I wasn't planning on using him because I already know I'll be lucky to make it out of the basement with him, just having that one missing character was gnawing at me.

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.

Anyone else been making their own custom sprites after getting real platinum god?

a cloth map
Oct 29, 2011

No thanks. I'm a Government man.

0haiThere posted:

Anyone else been making their own custom sprites after getting real platinum god?

Those look great! You should bundle them in a mod.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

senae posted:

I was having a think about this, and maybe you want to unlock as few items as possible. The idea was to have greater chance to get Guppy early, and give you less useless items as The Lost that can spawn. Sure the idea is harder and maybe better reserved for a second fresh file. It's a way to go, and you should have a solid chance of getting the various no damage achievements on the way. The Holy Mantle both does not need to be unlocked and is not considered a special item iirc, so there's a decent chance of getting that if you have less overall unlocked items to wade through as well. Would get The Lost out of the way ASAP and allow you to concentrate on the fun characters (ie anyone who is not The Lost).

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.

Toothache posted:

Would get The Lost out of the way ASAP and allow you to concentrate on the fun characters (ie anyone who is not The Lost).

I put off doing the lost for two months because it didn't sound fun at all, but I ended up being able to do all the hard mode runs in just one evening/morning, resetting to get dead cat.
Personally, I'd also say get it over with. It wasn't as bad as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

:allears: