Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's Dragons: The Movie: the Set: The Game

It kind of comes with the territory

And my favorite, Dragons: the Flamethrower! :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Dragon Maker sorcery seems weird at Mythic. Hour of Need had similar functionality at instant speed and was an uncommon.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry Grimace posted:

Dragon Maker sorcery seems weird at Mythic. Hour of Need had similar functionality at instant speed and was an uncommon.

Blue.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Does that really justify making it a Mythic though? Seems like this could have been done at rare + sorcery speed.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Ehhh, its closest relative is Devout Invocation, which is also mythic.

And painful to compare. But I guess you get the option of transforming their Siege Rhinos and Tasigurs into dragons which is very something alright.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't want good cards to be mythic. Good cards that are going to be format staples should be uncommon or rare, as long as the impact on Limited is not too severe. I rejoice at lovely mythics because I won't see them much, and the actually good cards won't have to be super expensive.

Even my phone knows what's up, after typing "lovely mythics" it autocorrected "because" to "nexuses".

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

This card with Dragon Tempest is beyond insane as a finisher, especially in the color of Dragon Fodder (how amusingly literal) and Hordeling Outburst. Still too expensive to see Standard play probably.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Blood Chin Fanatic 1BB
Creature - Orc Warrior
1B: Sacrifice another warrior, target player loses X life and you gain X life, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.
3/3

Too bad about that not being able to sac to yourself.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
They really want Warriors to be a thing in Standard, huh.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They seem to be pushing for a new (or underused) Tribe every block to be playable. Minotaurs was T2 but fun as hell, Warriors is/was the same.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Maybe if they had a card that could tutor it would be workable, but as is It doesn't seem strong enough to be viable

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

The Lord of Hats posted:

They really got my hopes up with the Preeminent Captain reprint in M15. And then the swerve. :(

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Minority Deport posted:

Feast of Dragons - 4RR
Sorcery
Sacrifice all creatures you control. For each creature sacrificed this way, put a 4/4 Dragon token with flying on to the battlefield.
OR
Destroy any number of target creatures, for each creature destroyed this way, its controller puts a 4/4 red dragon creature token into play.

Not sure which is right.

With the number of 'Dragons Matter' cards we have so far, they really missed their chance to make this a Tribal Sorcery - Dragon

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Devor posted:

With the number of 'Dragons Matter' cards we have so far, they really missed their chance to make this a Tribal Sorcery - Dragon

Yeah, that's because they're imbeciles who have decided not to use the tribal type at all anymore, especially when it would make perfect sense.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe if they had a card that could tutor it would be workable, but as is It doesn't seem strong enough to be viable
Linna-Fenza, Defiant Hero? Be careful what you wish for.

Starving Autist posted:

Yeah, that's because they're imbeciles who have decided not to use the tribal type at all anymore, especially when it would make perfect sense.

Tribal was a terrible implementation of a good idea that got hobbled into something klunky and over-complicated because of how the rules work, and they should have shelved it and figured out something better another time. Instead they botched the job and poisoned the well.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Blood Chin Fanatic 1BB
Creature - Orc Warrior
1B: Sacrifice another warrior, target player loses X life and you gain X life, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.
3/3

this will go great in my Cao Ren, Wei Commander Commander Deck

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm glad that you're forcing this meme of yours.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I guess you can attack with Bloodsoaked Champion for 2, sac him for 1B, put him back for 1B.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

RME posted:

this will go great in my Cao Ren, Wei Commander Commander Deck

I was thinking it'd have more synergy with my Kresh the Bloodbraided edh deck.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

Tribal was a terrible implementation of a good idea that got hobbled into something klunky and over-complicated because of how the rules work, and they should have shelved it and figured out something better another time. Instead they botched the job and poisoned the well.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Isn't Merfolk both a Modern and a Legacy deck?

I'd say they did fine. Once.

Maybe twice, do we count Goblins?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Isn't Merfolk both a Modern and a Legacy deck?

I'd say they did fine. Once.

Maybe twice, do we count Goblins?

Tribal, the card type.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't see how tribal is difficult to understand. What was the issue?

I mean ok I'm sure somewhere some idiot was trying to find the power and toughness on the card then starved to death, and Maro will never forgive himself for the horrors he unleashed but seriously, where is the fault?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Tribal, the card type.

I never understood the rear end in a top hat elf thing people talked about in lorwyn until I read that flavor text.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Hey if anyone sees a Brittle Will card floating about it is most likely fake.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I would love to see another attempt at a green villain in a block, by twisting the concept of "survival of the fittest" into trying to establish a meritocracy. They probably could have pulled that off with the Lorwyn elves but they were mechanically committed to giving each tribe at least two colors so they had to add black on to their identity (which worked regardless)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean ok I'm sure somewhere some idiot was trying to find the power and toughness on the card then starved to death, and Maro will never forgive himself for the horrors he unleashed but seriously, where is the fault?

It isn't really difficult, its just mostly for fluff, and you could probably redesign Lorwyn without it and not change very much about the set. Complexity is a finite resource, the more complicated your game the more people get turned off of it and don't spend money. It took them like 15 years to figure out how to make Magic really grokable to new players and a lot of that was really figuring out how to make cards for enfranchised players and new players at the same time. The answer is really all about complexity, and how much you can have, etc. Enfranchised players look at sets and outside of limited formats, care about 10-20 cards per set. Those are usually the 10-20 cards where the majority of the complexity lies. People misunderstand the hell out of NWO as a concept, but it has produced some of the best Magic sets of all time. We went from insane poo poo like Mirrodin, and Time Spiral to well tuned machines like Innistrad and Khans.

Tribal adds some complexity to cards, and for very little gain. It isn't hard for a new player to get what Tribal Instant - Goblin means on tarfire, but it takes a lot longer for them to realize that they can build UB fae and champion Mistbind on Bitterblossom to shut it off and close out the game. The trade off of those few interactions where tribal does matter isn't really a good reason for tribal to exist imo.

I suppose in this argument somewhere lies the idea of "goodstuff" cards vs. synergies. Some people enjoy the feeling of being smart when they get how Mistbind works with Bitterblossom, vs. just going Goyf, Lili, Siege Rhino. Funny enough, cards that are just good generally trump clever poo poo. I'm thinking mostly from the perspective of modern, when the design power of goodstuff vs. synergies is obvious. UB Faeries is a synergy deck is less good, even Affinity, though obviously good. People claim to hate the hell out of goodstuff decks like GBx, but I honestly think its more due to price than the actual way the deck works. If Goyf was $30 and LoTV was $25 per, I'd bet there'd be less bitching about goodstuff vs. synergy.

:goonsay:

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 6, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Spiderdrake posted:

If this started around Invasion, it probably what have been kept. They weren't willing to errata back everything so it played with previous blocks.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Blood Chin Fanatic 1BB
Creature - Orc Warrior
3/3

I'm curious what sort of mental contortions are necessary to believe that horses can actually run like that.

Maybe it's a psionic levitating horse.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Spiderdrake posted:

I suppose it's that Tribal cards require other Tribal cards in order to be worth it. Both in the "we're bringing back this kind of obscure supertype" sense and in the sense that there have to be multiple ways to care about a creature type besides caring about creatures, which is really weird to do.

It also doesn't make flavor sense sometimes: Diplomacy of the Wastes causes 2 damage if Obsidian Battle-Axe is on the battlefield, even though there's no one to wield it, as though the mere association of the axe with the profession is enough to chop someone. Diviner's Wand can be tapped to Azami or Patron Wizard. Clickslither can eat the abstract concept of Boggarts engaging in shenanigans.

If they do, it's not something they can slap on two or three cards without it not making a whole lot of sense.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

tirinal posted:

I'm curious what sort of mental contortions are necessary to believe that horses can actually run like that.

Thats the guy that the orc threw at somone.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

tirinal posted:

It's clearly using the power of the undead to have sick ups and is in the middle of a sick jump.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Thats the guy that the orc threw at somone.

This one wins.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a bunch of extra text that only interacts with a very small number of cards while confusing new players. Maybe it would be worth reviving in a tribal set but it's actually a very insular mechanic that would make little sense as an evergreen.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
It's actually not that confusing, and it's really insulting to the intelligence of the average person to suggest otherwise. They're cards that aren't creatures that count as having a creature type. That's literally all it is.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I suppose it's that Tribal cards require other Tribal cards in order to be worth it. Both in the "we're bringing back this kind of obscure supertype" sense and in the sense that there have to be multiple ways to care about a creature type besides caring about creatures, which is really weird to do.

It also doesn't make flavor sense sometimes: Diplomacy of the Wastes causes 2 damage if Obsidian Battle-Axe is on the battlefield, even though there's no one to wield it, as though the mere association of the axe with the profession is enough to chop someone. Diviner's Wand can be tapped to Azami or Patron Wizard. Clickslither can eat the abstract concept of Boggarts engaging in shenanigans.

If they do, it's not something they can slap on two or three cards without it not making a whole lot of sense.

Tribal isn't a supertype, which is part of the rules weirdness around them.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

tirinal posted:

Magic players are gonna be awfully confused when they realize the card doesn't have flying and horsemanship.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

If this started around Invasion, it probably what have been kept. They weren't willing to errata back everything so it played with previous blocks.
Oh the expectations problem, right. That makes sort of a saddening sense. It is a good idea, but it definitely needed to happen way further back.

Lorwyn block is a low point for the game so it isn't much of a surprise they want to just avoid it. Cue JerryLee crying a single drop onto a tear stained Kithkin, etc.

It also doesn't make flavor sense sometimes: Diplomacy of the Wastes causes 2 damage if Obsidian Battle-Axe is on the battlefield, even though there's no one to wield it, as though the mere association of the axe with the profession is enough to chop someone.
I think it really depends on how you mentally parse the abstractions inherit in magic. To me, diplomacy of the wastes is empowered by like, warrior spirit, so that one works. You have the power to chop, so chopping occurs.

But yeah Clickslither eating an abstract concept to power up is a big damp flavor fart. A lot of tribal stuff is problematic like that, though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Starving Autist posted:

It's actually not that confusing, and it's really insulting to the intelligence of the average person to suggest otherwise. They're cards that aren't creatures that count as having a creature type. That's literally all it is.
Yeah, it's not difficult to understand what it is. But it's hard to understand what it's for when there are such a tiny number of cards that interact with it. A new player might be fooled into thinking that all that extraneous text is there for some reason other than to make the card work slightly better with Dragonlord's Servant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

And it adds nearly nothing to the game. I mean, why do we give a poo poo about making this bulk mythic rare tribal? For the loving flavor reason, or are we actually going to pretend it would matter if the cost was reduced by 1 by the 1/3 dude?

I mean I guess it's cool that my eye of Ugin makes All is Dust cost 5, or that Goblin Matron can find tarfire instead of goodcard Gempalm Incinerator, or that I can harbinger up my Nameless Inversion for SIIICK RIPS BRO in a lovely block deck, but outside of the 1 tribes-really-matter-guys block that had it, it would do practically nothing of real value for an added layer of complexity. And complexity for complexity's sake isn't good game design.

• Locked thread