Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No one knows what fridging means.

Its not a term that is used in comic books, its only really used outside.

It would make no sense considering its based on a DC story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spider-man has seen the Nolan Batman films, I'm sure they know what fridging is.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's nearly as ham-fisted as someone in a Spider-Man comic saying "Dan Slott? Man, I love that guy!"

The only people who would know what "fridging" is are people who follow Gail religiously, or post very regularly on places like 4chan, SA, ect. A casual comic book fan is not going to know what fridging is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flameingblack posted:

It's nearly as ham-fisted as someone in a Spider-Man comic saying "Dan Slott? Man, I love that guy!"

The only people who would know what "fridging" is are people who follow Gail religiously, or post very regularly on places like 4chan, SA, ect. A casual comic book fan is not going to know what fridging is.

Did...did this happen?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StuffedIntoTheFridge

http://www.themarysue.com/fridging-supercut/

http://www.feministfrequency.com/2011/04/tropes-vs-women-2-women-in-refrigerators/

http://www.comicvine.com/women-in-refrigerators/4015-43763/

http://fanlore.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators

http://www.slashfilm.com/christopher-nolans-longstanding-practice-of-fridging-female-characters/

https://ladygeekgirl.wordpress.com/2014/07/02/breaking-out-of-the-fridge-subverting-womens-victimization-in-pop-culture/

People know what fridging means, grandpa.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Is there even such a thing as a casual comic book fan?

I would assume that term doesn't really apply to any niche market.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
You linked a bunch of niche websites to prove what I said about no one knowing what it meant except for dedicated fans was true so

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is there even such a thing as a casual comic book fan?

I would assume that term doesn't really apply to any niche market.
There are people who only get Spider-Man and Batman comics and don't go online to talk about them, and considering their sales compared to most other comics there's probably quite a few people?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My roommate's entire comic book reading experience is basically Chris Ware, Daniel Clowes, James Kochalka, Kate Beaton, random other indie books, and about half of the Invisibles, but she pays attention to the Internet and likes sci-fi/fantasy television and film and she is familiar with the term "fridging" and has used it to describe the treatment of female characters in fiction outside of superhero comics.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

My roommate's entire comic book reading experience is basically Chris Ware, Daniel Clowes, James Kochalka, Kate Beaton, random other indie books, and about half of the Invisibles, but she pays attention to the Internet and likes sci-fi/fantasy television and film and she is familiar with the term "fridging" and has used it to describe the treatment of female characters in fiction outside of superhero comics.
My brother owns the entirety of 52, and a bunch of Batman TPB (Almost every notable one), I asked him what fridging means and he has no idea? It just depends on if a person really follows comics on the internet or not. At that point it's less leisure and more hobby isn't it

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Spider-Gwen is a comic nerd, gimmie my no-prize

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was in Daily Life, which is a FairFax publication, which means it got shared around to all major Australian papers.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/dl-people/dl-entertainment/superheroes-need-to-stop-fridging-their-girlfriends-20150214-13dwu1.html

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CharlestheHammer posted:

No one knows what fridging means.

Its not a term that is used in comic books, its only really used outside.

It would make no sense considering its based on a DC story.

DC comics do exist in the Marvel universe tough. Characters like Batman and Superman get referenced frequently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Decius posted:

DC comics do exist in the Marvel universe tough. Characters like Batman and Superman get referenced frequently.

They've also crossed into the MU a few times. Hawkeye called the Justice League a crappy ripoff of the Squadron Supreme.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Decius posted:

Vice versa is also true, there's been at least a few times where characters like the Flash have mentioned X-Men comics or the like. Or even movies. It seems to be a mutual tongue in cheek thing they both do, where each other exist as comics in their universe.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Flameingblack posted:

My brother owns the entirety of 52, and a bunch of Batman TPB (Almost every notable one), I asked him what fridging means and he has no idea? It just depends on if a person really follows comics on the internet or not. At that point it's less leisure and more hobby isn't it

Yeah fridging is a comic book term and used by a specific audience. This is all just Hopeless' writing which comes off poorly a lot of the time. I mean you can go into long winded arguments about whether Gwen should know about fridging but that doesn't explain other 4th wall breaking bits/forcing references for a specific audience.

Like how last issue Carol was going on about how everybody will be so happy Jess is changing her "awful" costume while she's oblivious to it and then has the next issues she's going on about how embarrassing it was from googling the Manara cover. It all comes off as bad pandering to a specific audience rather than naturally expanding a books reach.

Then all that aside you have the compare and contrast with how Spider-Verse ended for Peter and for Jess. Peter ended with him realising that there is no big or small or "normal" crimefighting, as long as he's helping people that's all that matters. Jess leaves the event wanting to get back to a normal life by just punching random z listers, which turns out she's poo poo at.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah fridging is a comic book term and used by a specific audience.

Fridging is a comic book term, but in recent years I've seen it referenced more and more in other 'fandoms' such as those for TV shows; it's a useful shorthand that's grown beyond its original context.

That doesn't make the line any less clunky - though admittedly I laughed at it - but to say "only comic nerds know this turn of phrase" is a little myopic.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Fridging is a comic book term, but in recent years I've seen it referenced more and more in other 'fandoms' such as those for TV shows; it's a useful shorthand that's grown beyond its original context.

That doesn't make the line any less clunky - though admittedly I laughed at it - but to say "only comic nerds know this turn of phrase" is a little myopic.

The fact that it's referenced in "fandoms" kind of highlights it's a dumb comic term that only a specific audience uses though. You can rephrase it to geek/nerd instead of comic audience. Like it's not a term people use casual outside of nerdy stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Who outside of the nerdy audience is reading Spider-Woman, exactly?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

Who outside of the nerdy audience is reading Spider-Woman, exactly?

I said specific nerdy/comic/whatever audience. Not everybody that reads comics or potentially could read comics uses terms like fridging or fandom or what have you. It's basically just a bad attempt at pandering rather than in something like Batgirl which feels like a genuine attempt to appeal to a broader audience.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If it works it's not really a bad attempt, is it?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Blockhouse posted:

If it works it's not really a bad attempt, is it?

I guess it depends what you define by works. It'll need to wait and see how the sales are on the book to see if it's a commercial success, i just don't think creatively it works.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

And when Spider-man is cancelled for low sales, THAT will be conclusive proof that it happened because one time a character talked about fridging!

Least we forget this all occured during Spider-verse, a story which was about finding a way to get every iteration of Spider-man ever involved in one story.
And when you start bringing in non-comic versions of a character into a comic story, the fourth wall has to get punched as part of the joke.

If you are putting in the movie Spider-man(s) you have to make a joke about how they look like Toby Maguire or Andrew Garfield. Since otherwise how will the audience know which iteration of Spider-man you are talking about?
The same for Newspaper Spider-man, Capcom Spider-man or Ultimate Animated Spider-man.
The story was always going to have elements of fun in it. It's not like in the middle of a serious domestic violence storyline, Gwen makes fridging jokes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

And when Spider-man is cancelled for low sales, THAT will be conclusive proof that it happened because one time a character talked about fridging!

Least we forget this all occured during Spider-verse, a story which was about finding a way to get every iteration of Spider-man ever involved in one story.
And when you start bringing in non-comic versions of a character into a comic story, the fourth wall has to get punched as part of the joke.

If you are putting in the movie Spider-man(s) you have to make a joke about how they look like Toby Maguire or Andrew Garfield. Since otherwise how will the audience know which iteration of Spider-man you are talking about?
The same for Newspaper Spider-man, Capcom Spider-man or Ultimate Animated Spider-man.
The story was always going to have elements of fun in it. It's not like in the middle of a serious domestic violence storyline, Gwen makes fridging jokes.

Sadly there wasn't nearly as much fun as a book advertised as 'every Spider-Man ever' should have (at least not in the main book). They somehow managed to squander a loving giant robot. HOW DO YOU DO THAT? gently caress Morlun merry murderspree, I want to just see alternate Spider-Men team up and bounce off each other. I want to see Kaine trying to be hardcore except Ben Reilly won't let him. I want to see Miles MoraIes shoot the poo poo with Peter again. I want to see Spider-Gwen & the anarchic Spider-Man rib each other over their taste in music. I want to see Spider-Ham & Leopardon defeat a Pym-Particle-abusing alternate Sinister 6 through the use of gargantuan Hostess Fruit Pies while Superior Spider-Man is outraged at the absurdity of it all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Because "fridging" is a term used to describe something in comics or other forms of media. What Gwen was essentially saying was "An alternate version of me was killed off by writers to add drama and motivation to the male hero by choosing to have me thrown off a bridge."

So unless you're fine with calling real life murders of women that affects men as them getting fridged, it's a clumsy and hackneyed attempt at being meta.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Codependent Poster posted:

Because "fridging" is a term used to describe something in comics or other forms of media. What Gwen was essentially saying was "An alternate version of me was killed off by writers to add drama and motivation to the male hero by choosing to have me thrown off a bridge."

So unless you're fine with calling real life murders of women that affects men as them getting fridged, it's a clumsy and hackneyed attempt at being meta.
I've used it in a (tongue-in-cheek) real-life context at least a couple times. Particularly because people in my community tend to have a much higher murder rate than the average, my best friend has said to me "please, don't get fridged to advance my character development."

Besides, Gwen's comment was in the same event where Miles said "my life just jumped the shark."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
You guys sure are mad about a throwaway line.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Castomira posted:

I've used it in a (tongue-in-cheek) real-life context at least a couple times. Particularly because people in my community tend to have a much higher murder rate than the average, my best friend has said to me "please, don't get fridged to advance my character development."

Besides, Gwen's comment was in the same event where Miles said "my life just jumped the shark."
This whole argument is dumb but "Jumping the Shark" has been a phrase in the mainstream for decades and it's not even close to comparing it to something that happens in a niche community in a niche hobby.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Speaking of Miles how is the storyline with Miles in All New X-men?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Speaking of Miles how is the storyline with Miles in All New X-men?

Not good.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.

Flameingblack posted:

This whole argument is dumb but "Jumping the Shark" has been a phrase in the mainstream for decades and it's not even close to comparing it to something that happens in a niche community in a niche hobby.
If what you're saying is that fridging only happens in comic books, I don't know what planet you live on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

You guys sure are mad about a throwaway line.

This is the same forum that got into a heated debate because Ms. Marvel referenced an internet meme.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Castomira posted:

If what you're saying is that fridging only happens in comic books, I don't know what planet you live on.
The phrase "Fridging" not the action of a female dying to advance a male's plot. Do I have really bad English or can goons have problems processing words?

TwoPair posted:

This is the same forum that got into a heated debate because Ms. Marvel referenced an internet meme.
In the first issue she was talking about her Hero x My Little Pony fanfiction so I don't know what else people expected in a comic about a teenage girl who spends a lot of time on the internet.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

The phrase "Fridging" not the action of a female dying to advance a male's plot. Do I have really bad English or can goons have problems processing words?
If you think the phrase "fridging" is only used prominently in regards to criticism of superhero comics, you're myopic as gently caress, because it's been used in the context of television, video games, novels and film for a long time now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TwoPair posted:

wait, what

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Goons hate memes because they are popular and thier inclusion in Ms. Marvel revealed that our old asses weren't the target audience.

In summary:

Dang whipersnappers with their memes! I'm still the core audience if they don't listen to me the won't get my haypenny! Why in my day potato salad hairbrushzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 6, 2015

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
BSS posters haven't talked to a teenager since they were teenagers, news at 11.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In other news, teen girl reads tumblr.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Focusing on a phrase like fridging is missing the forest for the trees of what was a poorly written issue that threw out a lot of character development for what will no doubt be an unacceptable attempt to duplicate Batgirls success.

It's nothing to do with kid's nowadays or whatever goons are dumb meme people want to spout.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Goons lecturing people on how teens talk will always be funny.

You all are so hip :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Waterhaul posted:

Focusing on a phrase like fridging is missing the forest for the trees of what was a poorly written issue that threw out a lot of character development for what will no doubt be an unacceptable attempt to duplicate Batgirls success.

Yeah, stupid Marvel trying to duplicate Batgirl's success, which was y'know, predicated on DC trying to ape Ms. Marvel's success and Marvel's success in that demographic in general and DC's long publicized inability to engage in that area. Uhhhh.

• Locked thread