Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I hope my GFX and CPU won't melt playing that..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-04-new-witcher-3-gdc-gameplay-footage

I didn't preview this one but if it's new gameplay footage it's probably worth posting, our game is dope as gently caress.

:vince:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

I didn't preview this one but if it's new gameplay footage it's probably worth posting, our game is dope as gently caress.

I noticed Geralt does a combat roll. Is that instead of or in addition to the dodge dash we've seen in previous videos?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - if it's this close to the end I doubt they'd remove animation and gameplay. Probably in addition to. Maybe it's a skill you have to buy or something.

"This isn't even our final form highest setting."

Yeah, it'll be a slap to my face alright. Keep on teasing what I'll never see even when I get the game. :mad:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I bought a GTX 970 specifically for this game. Starting to regret not going for a 980.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I love that there are no lens flares, even when the light hits the camera.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

I love that there are no lens flares, even when the light hits the camera.

So I'm not the only one annoyed when video games pretend they're shot with cameras?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Senjuro posted:

I noticed Geralt does a combat roll. Is that instead of or in addition to the dodge dash we've seen in previous videos?

Geralt has a variety of combat moves. The roll is distinct from the dodge dash but have pretty similar functions (gettin out the way of teeth and claws and stuff).

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As someone who has had disdain for TW2's combat AND who has played TW3, are you :smith: or :unsmith:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Haha that point of the new spell floating in the air and the guy just quickly running away. Looks pretty good for a massively downgraded game though.
Also, playing with a controller looks pretty annoying since you either have to lock on or work hard to keep the enemy in your view.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GrossMurpel posted:

Haha that point of the new spell floating in the air and the guy just quickly running away. Looks pretty good for a massively downgraded game though.
Also, playing with a controller looks pretty annoying since you either have to lock on or work hard to keep the enemy in your view.

I'm a keyboard and mouse man myself, but I've never had any major issue with third person knifey games and using a gamepad.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drifter posted:

I'm a keyboard and mouse man myself, but I've never had any major issue with third person knifey games and using a gamepad.

I guess you can still accurately attack dudes by aiming with the left stick but I'd get annoyed as soon as enemies start circling around me, out of view.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GrossMurpel posted:

I guess you can still accurately attack dudes by aiming with the left stick but I'd get annoyed as soon as enemies start circling around me, out of view.

What are you talking about? You just have to balance the gamepad on your leg, put your left thumb on the left stick, right thumb on the right stick for the camera, and then use your pointer and ring fingers on the face buttons while your middle finger does the right trigger.

Duh. It's like, the simplest. I call it the "Eagle Claw" position. Gamepad4lyfe

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
you guys suck at videogames

also

:unsmith:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm gonna have an absolute hell of a hard time trying to scrape together enough money for a serious PC upgrade, before I can even dream about playing this. :smith:

But, the game looks amazing and seems great otherwise too, so I'm happy for all you guys at CDPR. :unsmith:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 6, 2015

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I may be able to play it but it sure ain't gonna look that pretty.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've peeked at release calendar for PC games and it looks like the only RPG worth mentioning that will release in first half of 2015 is Pillars of Eternity. From initial sales standpoint it's good release was postponed or they'd have to contend with surprisingly good Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

alex314 posted:

I've peeked at release calendar for PC games and it looks like the only RPG worth mentioning that will release in first half of 2015 is Pillars of Eternity. From initial sales standpoint it's good release was postponed or they'd have to contend with surprisingly good Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Did we play the same Inquisition?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I liked Inquisition alright. I got on board with the story once Act 2 started and I realized it was all just a big silly D&D campaign. I got down with the quest design once I realized it was basically single-player WoW.*

I eventually had to stop though because I hit a progression break bug. In the quest with the big ball at the palace I was unable to exit the foyer and go into the ballroom, the game would just freeze on a black screen every time I did.

*If wow were playable with the controller I'd probably starve to death in my chair, unable to even get up to feed myself.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

On a scale of Dragon Age 2 to Mass Effect 2 it was closer to the latter. Most of companions are decently interesting and likable, story is consistent (despite overall weak arch and finish). Gameplay mechanics reek of MMO, but compared to previous instalment and stupid lazy mob waves it's massive improvement. I haven't finished it yet, but it's my fault for being a completionist and doing one too many of optional bullshit worthless fetch quests. And then TW:Attila came and I've lost interest.

But even if Witcher 3 is better looking, has better story, controls and mechanics CDProjekt cannot content with EA on marketing front, so not having other heavy hitters in the same time means their marketing effords will be more efficient.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
We've actually been doing a pretty excellent job of marketing, I think. We might not be able to compete with EA in terms of dollars spent, but we also have a generally pro-consumer corporate attitude that counts for a LOT of good-will.

If we had launched at the same time as them I think it would have been very interesting and not as one-sided in terms of marketing as you might think.

Of course if we had launched at the same time as them our game would not have been... polished, to the degree it needed to be, so it's kind of pointless.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

I got on board with the story once Act 2 started and I realized it was all just a big silly D&D campaign.

You should never expect a Bioware game to be anything else. This is what Bioware does. Sometimes they do it well, sometimes they don't. But it's what they do.

Also EA has gotta be hitting diminishing returns with its marketing budget at some point anyway.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:flashfap: I thoroughly enjoyed both prior games and look forward to getting my grubby mitts on my sweet, sweet collectors edition.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Archimago posted:

Has anyone read the fan translated version of books? Are they as terrible as the phrase "fan translated book" makes me think?

They are really good. Even fan translated. Depending on the versions you can find, the language can be clumsy at some points but you can definitely tell they are really really well written. The use of metaphors and changing narration styles is great. It's like Game of Thrones before Game of Thrones was a thing. Even when the translation's are clumsy you can see how he is setting up ideas and set pieces to be used later. A Very well woven together story. I also liked how novel it's approach to literature often was. I read a lot, so seeing the same style over and over gets boring.

Although I thought the ending was kind of shite, but that's just me.

GrossMurpel posted:

I think at one point Mousesack drew a rune while Geralt was looking and Geralt just nodded knowingly, I still don't know what that was about. Something about Pavetta being about to use magic, I'm sure.

I loved the silent conversation between Mousesack, Geralt and occasionally Pavetta. Where they are all just eyeing each other not talking.

"They were forming runes which joined up - for a moment - into a word. A question. Mousesack waited without taking his eyes off him. Geralt, almost imperceptibly, nodded. The druid lowered his eyelids and, with a stony face, swiped the crumbs off the table."

"The medallion on Geralt's neck twitched. The witcher caught Mousesack's clearly uneasy gaze. He shook his head a little and raised his eyebrows questioningly. The druid also shook his head and, with a barely perceptible move of his curly beard, indicated Urcheon. Geralt wasn't sure."

"Geralt, still disturbed by the way his medallion was quivering, looked around the hall. Suddenly he saw Pavetta's eyes, emerald green like her mother's. The princess was no longer hiding them beneath her long lashes - she swept them from Mousesack to the witcher, ignoring the others."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Count me among the people who need a computer upgrade for this.

It looks soooooooo good

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
God I hope it plays as good as it looks, and doesn't pull a Dragon Age Inquisition. It's a single player rpg, not an mmo.

:argh:

:ohdear:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
http://www.jadorendr.de/new-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-screenshots/

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Vesemir!
Geralt!
Whores!
:swoon:

May is so far away...which is a good thing, since I need to upgrade, badly :P

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
I demand exclusive PC gameplay footage.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Crap, that looks good.

I'm replaying 2 -Roche's path, Dark mode- in anticipation. Grinding for the dark gear feels very counter to how I usually play this. Still, thanks to the combat system, you can get by fine with just the gear you loot. I'm probably just gonna get the chapter 2 dark gear and skip the rest.

Also, the story in Roche ch2 is pretty drat complex. I feel like it's only now, the second time, I'm starting to fit all the connected and overlapping side-quests together. Just the fact that there are two curses you need to lift was very confusing the first time around. Being more familiar with all the names that get thrown about also helps.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Will Dark gear carry over?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What was 'dark mode'? Is that a difficulty state or just a play path, like no-kill ghosting in Dishonored?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
An added difficulty that makes the game ridiculously hard and unforgiving. The main feature is its ironman gameplay in which if you die it wipes the save.

Details via a ten second Google search

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Drifter posted:

What was 'dark mode'? Is that a difficulty state or just a play path, like no-kill ghosting in Dishonored?

It's a difficulty level that includes special crafting diagrams that aren't available in the other difficulties.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

An added difficulty that makes the game ridiculously hard and unforgiving. The main feature is its ironman gameplay in which if you die it wipes the save.

You're confusing it with Insane.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 7, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That page says you can use your saves but then immediately says you can't. gently caress that page.

e: Nope, that page is just very poorly worded.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

It's a difficulty level that includes special crafting diagrams that aren't available in the other difficulties.

Does it really add much to the gameplay? Were they balanced interestingly at all?

I'm not really much of a crafter, and the most recent game with simple crafting I played was Dragon Age 3, and all that poo poo kinda blended together into a giant boring mess after a while.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The dark swords have an audio/visual effect that is annoying as gently caress to me.

Some people think that dark armors make the game easier than Hard.

Of course, you could just not craft the armor and play it as Super-Hard if you want. That's perfectly doable if Hard has gotten too easy for you.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Details via a ten second Google search

It's not really that hard. If you can dodge things on Easy, you can do it just as well on Normal, Hard or Dark (or Insane I guess but that's for insane people :v:).
The only problem for me were gargoyles because they home in on your roll.

Drifter posted:

Does it really add much to the gameplay? Were they balanced interestingly at all?

I'm not really much of a crafter, and the most recent game with simple crafting I played was Dragon Age 3, and all that poo poo kinda blended together into a giant boring mess after a while.

Well I liked Dark because for once you couldn't just stand around between 5 swordsmen and survive by just left clicking, until you got that skill that makes your sword hit everyone at once at least.
The crafting itself really isn't interesting, you need to get a lot of money so you can't just hold onto every crafting material you find, you have to sell most of them unless you want to farm forever. I looked up beforehand what kind of materials I'd need and made sure to stock enough of them.
Even so I ran out of materials and money in chapter 2 and had to do the harpy gully run about 10 times or so.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, at least without the new equipment, you can only afford one mistake against most enemies. So you need to be on your toes even in random encounters.

Having to farm isn't fun at all though, especially since I'm doing an alchemy-run and have to save most ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Senjuro posted:

I bought a GTX 970 specifically for this game. Starting to regret not going for a 980.

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/18805/the-witcher-3-to-be-bundled-with-high-end-maxwell-graphics-cards.html

Son of a bitch.

• Locked thread