Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'd KILL for Avalon City after leveling to 50 in classic zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Genesis PvE was broken in a good way, and it still sucked.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I hope Uthgard keeps in it's busted rear end grouping code where the highest player can't be more than like 5 levels above you. Power leveling sucks rear end.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

PriNGLeS posted:

I hope Uthgard keeps in it's busted rear end grouping code where the highest player can't be more than like 5 levels above you. Power leveling sucks rear end.

Who in their right mind would think that would be a good idea? How did people (try to?) PL then?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, uth was really good about pling. They'd probate you for multiboxing and if the leader was level 50 the exp sucked rear end. The best way to pl was with a 48 cabby on the pygmies but then they took out the command to stop getting exp. Which, in turn, encouraged grouping and teamwork.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

Who in their right mind would think that would be a good idea? How did people (try to?) PL then?

Hire a shaman to stand around and buff you/frigg you so you could chain solo oranges. That's how I ended up leveling my Berserker, some random hunter sent me a tell one day and we just poopsocked to 49, him paying Shaman's 1-2p/hr to afk/buff/heal.
But mostly people didn't, so there were actually groups.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
In a week I've managed to get all my Mid slots filled, 4 of them to Molvik and the rest still in thidranki. It is crazy fast to just group with a few people in BGs, do the quests and be into the next bg in an hour.

If you see a Tuurd or any variation of Turd that will be me. I may have been sucked back into paying and playing, at least for the rest of the winter.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

WonderfulWino posted:

In a week I've managed to get all my Mid slots filled, 4 of them to Molvik and the rest still in thidranki. It is crazy fast to just group with a few people in BGs, do the quests and be into the next bg in an hour.

If you see a Tuurd or any variation of Turd that will be me. I may have been sucked back into paying and playing, at least for the rest of the winter.

I've got a 49 skald and 24 shadowblade, and a uh.... something 39 thane. I don't particularly care for Molvik, it's just tower camping and ganking xpers.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
There weren't really any groups at all unless you happened to fit the ideal picture of what the only group running in each level range needed for the perfect self-pl. Sometimes there were AOE groups, sometimes there were standard tank/buff/heal/etc groups. If you weren't a great group char you had to solo virtually all the time.

Since it had (whatever version's) group penalty people didn't want anyone along that wouldn't more than pull their weight. Soloing was also awful.

This was about a year before closure. I know it wasn't as bad in the early days, but when the community shrunk people's tolerance kind of went along with it. :shrug:

I much preferred the Genesis way of handling groups since, at least while it was popular, you had no problem getting a group no matter what you were playing because everyone contributed more EXP at least! Can't get any WORSE!!

You could get any weird spec to 50 you wanted pretty quickly. I imagine even if it stayed popular the gravy train would slow down as more people got to 50 (and stayed there) there wouldn't be 10+ exp groups running and more people roaming for some easy kills in the frontiers.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

I'm currently inactive as none of my irl buds would play and it got somewhat lonely but I'm considering reupping again.

Also, I know it was closed for a reason but i'd kill for a new Mordred.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Rannison posted:

I'm currently inactive as none of my irl buds would play and it got somewhat lonely but I'm considering reupping again.

Also, I know it was closed for a reason but i'd kill for a new Mordred.

Some of my best daoc memories are from Mordred/Andred. I was that guy who would perf you off a horse in camp forest.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
That was both true and not really true for Uthgard, after you had your core classes (some kind of tank, a healer, and a buffer/endurance regen char) people would invite whatever, but usually not before they had the core. As long as whatever spot they were doing/felt like doing could support it, anyways. The problem I ran in to most on Uthgard were the "nah, just gonna solo" people. Cya at 50 in a couple years, dumbass. A lot of people just didn't understand the mechanics of xp in daoc. And if you weren't actively making your own groups of course you had to solo all the way to 50 because everyone else was also lazy and soloing to 50, because dumb as heck.

XP on Genesis was broken as hell and not in a good way, either. It took less time to get to 50 on Genesis than it does on live.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Some of my best daoc memories are from Mordred/Andred. I was that guy who would perf you off a horse in camp forest.

hello youre the reason I never made it past 30 on mordred.
That and radar skalds. Those were cool too.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Eh, I think quick group EXP is exactly what the game needs, although skewing it more towards being in the frontiers would have been better. Same EXP in frontiers, but less in the old world where it's safe.

If they hadn't made such horrible decisions and upgraded the server, I think Genesis could have sustained a pretty healthy population, and the quick EXP rate would have helped with that despite the vocal minority who absolutely hated it.

Now with that said I'd play pretty much any new DAoC server, even Uthgard, which I had a horrid experience with towards the closure, like most new players at that time it seemed.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm also in the camp that absolutely loved the vastly increased grouping exp on Genesis. It made levelling for certain classes/specs doable or even better awesome.
I never had to search longer than 5 minutes for a group with my healer or even with my hunter.

Increased exp gain, while grouping and being social, can never be a bad thing for a game whose greatest selling point is the lvl 50 RvR.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

When Uthgard comes back I will lead summoner and sidi raids to get everyone leveled and geared. We all know Albion is the one true realm.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

How in hell did I ever run 8 hour sidi raids? I felt like a general manager for over 100 employees. Delegating roles and herding sheep. Assigning like 5 people to help me sort loot as I individually had to macro their stats before you could drag and drop. Not to mention the crazy amount of parsing for the lotto and dealing with angry people who dropped or were afk too long and died or wanted loot for a different class etc etc etc. And I was only like 16 or some poo poo.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Evernoob posted:

I'm also in the camp that absolutely loved the vastly increased grouping exp on Genesis. It made levelling for certain classes/specs doable or even better awesome.
I never had to search longer than 5 minutes for a group with my healer or even with my hunter.

Increased exp gain, while grouping and being social, can never be a bad thing for a game whose greatest selling point is the lvl 50 RvR.

Fast XP was one of the few things Genesis got right. Leveling was fun, no single XP spot outstayed its welcome, and people were pretty friendly since grouping was orders of magnitude better than soloing, and the only reason you'd really deserve getting kicked from a group was if you were being a complete dick.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I'm a firm believer in "sunk costs" (in both time and money) in MMOs leading to long term player stability. One of the reasons why Genesis had massive hemorrhages of players every time a bug cropped up (that were actually fixed extremely quickly, usually less than 24 hours), was because it took 8 hours to level to 50, and then 8 hours of farming TG or the dragon zone to get enough plat to make a template. People had no loyalty to the server/attachment to their characters. Another good example are the myriad of instant 50 pvp/rvr servers that crop up, get 100+ players for a weekend, then are dead until they shut down.

Anyways, they didn't even do it on purpose, they just didn't know what a decimal was and hosed up the group bonus which they ended up "fixing" well after the server was dead.

If you Do It Right even Uthgard isn't a slog. Unless you want to level a beastcraft hunter or something else completely stupid. SH raids will take you from 38-50 in a couple shots if someone is organizing them. I mostly saw them on Alb, and only once on Mid. I imagine shortly after release they'll be an every day/weekend occurrence.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

How in hell did I ever run 8 hour sidi raids? I felt like a general manager for over 100 employees. Delegating roles and herding sheep. Assigning like 5 people to help me sort loot as I individually had to macro their stats before you could drag and drop. Not to mention the crazy amount of parsing for the lotto and dealing with angry people who dropped or were afk too long and died or wanted loot for a different class etc etc etc. And I was only like 16 or some poo poo.

I look back and wonder how I did a lot of poo poo at that age, like running PL groups in CF for 12 hours at a time and Galla raids, and DF raids. I'd blow my brains out if I sat on that hill in Cursed Forest pet pulling Finns again.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

When mordred hit I was easily playing 8 hours a day. Before that my Eldritch had 100 something days played. I know there are people with much more but holy poo poo that was a ton of playtime. I look at my steam games and see 100 hours here and there and think that's insane.

Daoc hit at a horrible time for me, 19 living away from parents for the first time, making a lot of money doing IT during the dotcom era and living with a friend who played it more than me.

I still haven't found a game that captures the realm pride and general community attitude of Daoc, at least for the first few years before it became 8mans errywhere.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 23, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Uth will hopefully come out before Camelot Unchained or it seems I'll just be playing that instead. For which I hope Hellraid comes out soon to pass the time.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Well, rumor is they brought on an extra dev from Genesis to help out since none of them have all that much time to work on the server. Maybe soon.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

anyone dtf on live?

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Kazvall posted:

My irl buds/gaming buds all rolled Mordred as soon as it was released but since we still hadn't hit 50 on the normal servers kind of had no idea what to do. I think we had enchanter [me]/hero/minstrel/healer/blademaster/nightshade or something and were leveling out in Salisbury one day and my irl friend, the nightshade, saw a solo leveler, stealthed over and killed him. The guy, as people tended to do on Mordred, said all of the "ILL BE BACK WITH MY MAIN" and such.

45 minutes later a 50 troll skald rolled up with a giant glowy hammer, one hits the nightshade and gives the rest of us each 200g "for scaring us" and then proceeded to camp the NS all day.

I loved that place.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll never forget watching my friend, playing his SM, ungroup from a raid party of 100 while everyone was lottoing and just pbae about 50 people down before getting killed himself. He was never allowed on any raids ever again.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?

Kazvall posted:

I'll never forget watching my friend, playing his SM, ungroup from a raid party of 100 while everyone was lottoing and just pbae about 50 people down before getting killed himself. He was never allowed on any raids ever again.

I did that to a Sin Vida ML raid with quite a few people on my SM. I loved bombing ML raids and running small mans in Goth...Oh how I miss those days.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I always love hearing daoc stories. It's definitely the core of my teenage nostalgia.

In other news: Uthgard finally posted another official update. It's getting close(r). uthgard.net if anyone cares to read it.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

I always love hearing daoc stories. It's definitely the core of my teenage nostalgia.

In other news: Uthgard finally posted another official update. It's getting close(r). uthgard.net if anyone cares to read it.

Uthgard is essentially Half-Life 3. That poo poo is never coming out.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Woodhouse posted:

Uthgard is essentially Half-Life 3. That poo poo is never coming out.

They've decided to ditch SI lands for now, and everything else is done (or nearly so). They're currently testing/bug fixing OldRA's/relics/keeps. The fact that the necromancer is done speaks volumes, given Blue's unfettered apathy for the class. It's very near completion. Which surprised the hell out of me. I figured it would forever be in limbo.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Leveling on mordred was had some high highs and loow lows. Fighting other leveling groups, everyone wearing poo poo gear, was fun. They would sometimes go and exp elsewhere then come back.

I remember leveling in some pretty remote places, even grinding greens now and then.

I tried playing the eq2 pvp server and it wasn't near the same. Haven't played anything like it. Part of the draw for me I think was fighting in places that previously had been PvE only.

Kind of like a shootout at Disneyland.

Early Sin Vida, what I can remember of it, was a riot. We would camp chokepoints, bridges where the horse route slowed down, drop off points, camelot entrance. Then we got a lot of people and started taking keeps and doing ml's and poo poo. I guess that was fun too, but the earlier feel was more like a band of shithead teenagers egging cars and poo poo.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Uthgard will be back. Blue is just a perfectionist/sperglord. He always hated the underlying code that Uthgard was originally based on. It doesn't surprise me that he's used this opportunity as an excuse to tear out the proverbial floorboards and redo everything.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Joined CU's alpha this week. This is hyping me up again so I really hope Uthgard will be up early so I can get my fix. There is no way I am joining the live server again though, and not only because it's paying.

I don't mind not having SI island in Uthgard either, besides maybe for some of the levelling spots and the jewelry quests. My ideal Freeshard has :

-Old Frontiers
-Darkness Falls
-SI Classes
-2.0 RA's
-Nothing from TOA (obviously)
-Mild grouping exp bonus (I liked it on Genesis, but maybe it was a bit too high)
-Housing
-Player Crafted gear being the endgame gear.

I don't want too many special features, but the following has to be followed :
-Realm balance can be steered by GM with exp bonuses or such, but in no case by migrating players with a max lvl toon +10p like Genesis did
-Server stability please :D

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

madpanda posted:

Leveling on mordred was had some high highs and loow lows. Fighting other leveling groups, everyone wearing poo poo gear, was fun. They would sometimes go and exp elsewhere then come back.

I remember leveling in some pretty remote places, even grinding greens now and then.

I tried playing the eq2 pvp server and it wasn't near the same. Haven't played anything like it. Part of the draw for me I think was fighting in places that previously had been PvE only.

Kind of like a shootout at Disneyland.

Early Sin Vida, what I can remember of it, was a riot. We would camp chokepoints, bridges where the horse route slowed down, drop off points, camelot entrance. Then we got a lot of people and started taking keeps and doing ml's and poo poo. I guess that was fun too, but the earlier feel was more like a band of shithead teenagers egging cars and poo poo.

I remember the first days of mordred opening, in albion the mages and stealth classes all mostly started in the same forest and it was a race to leveling up fast enough for the wizards to one hit everyone and the infiltrators to one hit the rest with pvp flags turned off early.

You had to go to some pretty remote locations to avoid being seen and trying to walk out of that forest and not using the road without getting lost or being able to afford a horse ticket while dying all the time was rough.

There may of been some uneasy truces and leveling groups early on in salisbury plains and camelot hills in the popular spots like the earth elemental hill and the /task bridge.

I rather enjoyed killing people with a dwarf healer all the way to 50, had enough resist buffs to handle the more popular casters and you had a damage reflection so powerful you could usually kill berserkers without hitting them yourself.

Later on it became routine to check any dungeons where level 38+ players would hang out with your roaming 8 man gank squad when it was a slow day, just to see if anyone was green or above to get some quick RP, then you'd revive them and be on your way out, you'd also check any of the other popular leveling spots like various wights in the frontier and I think poohka or ghost lebrechauns or ghost trees in some dark forest in hib I've long forgotten the name of.

ML raids on mordred were hardmode because you couldn't AOE the swarms of enemies without also nuking your unguilded friends, lot of necromancer abuse to tank bosses back then when you could get away with it in the early ML, I remember Ml6-7 in the volcanic area being the biggest hurdle because of endless swarms of minotaurs.
And then you had to do the ML raid in as much secrecy as possible because in no time you'd have rival guilds show up to crash the party when you could barely handle that minotaur fort siege to begin with.

Does anyone else remember a all kobold guild early on in Mordred that spoke weirdly and would just swarm all over certain towns?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 6, 2015

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Evernoob posted:

Joined CU's alpha this week. This is hyping me up again so I really hope Uthgard will be up early so I can get my fix. There is no way I am joining the live server again though, and not only because it's paying.

I don't mind not having SI island in Uthgard either, besides maybe for some of the levelling spots and the jewelry quests. My ideal Freeshard has :

-Old Frontiers
-Darkness Falls
-SI Classes
-2.0 RA's
-Nothing from TOA (obviously)
-Mild grouping exp bonus (I liked it on Genesis, but maybe it was a bit too high)
-Housing
-Player Crafted gear being the endgame gear.

I don't want too many special features, but the following has to be followed :
-Realm balance can be steered by GM with exp bonuses or such, but in no case by migrating players with a max lvl toon +10p like Genesis did
-Server stability please :D

I'm with you on everything on your wishlist except the new RAs. While I appreciate what the new system was meant to do, I feel it made it a lot harder for low RR groups to beat high RR groups. The old system was flawed to be sure, but I think it was a lot more balanced overall.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does anyone else remember a all kobold guild early on in Mordred that spoke weirdly and would just swarm all over certain towns?

That was Shadowclan, they were pretty fun to play with honestly. TRIBUUUT! They are still around in other games like WoW etc.

I had a friar named Chanterz when Mordred came out because I thought I was sneaky and everyone would think I was a caster. I remember hanging around Ardee > Magmell and PK Bridge all the time baiting stealthers to fight me. I'm just hoping CU brings the same feel that DAoC does, because I've been chasing it for years and have yet to find a game like it.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
All other games since clearly revealed the exact class your target opponent is. "Masking" your class was a real thing in DAoC.

I remember a Midgard full mellee 8-man with 5 Trolls and 3 Dwarves, with a Troll shaman hiding in the assist train and mostly only using the insta PBAE disease.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Just out of curiosity what realm would everyone be rolling initially when Uthgard finally comes around?

It was nice having a bunch of goons around on Genesis, even if only briefly.

Given old RA's and the fact that I've got my fill of Midgard for awhile I'll probably be rolling around Hib again. BM or Hero. Not sure.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Woodhouse posted:

That was Shadowclan, they were pretty fun to play with honestly. TRIBUUUT! They are still around in other games like WoW etc.

I had a friar named Chanterz when Mordred came out because I thought I was sneaky and everyone would think I was a caster. I remember hanging around Ardee > Magmell and PK Bridge all the time baiting stealthers to fight me. I'm just hoping CU brings the same feel that DAoC does, because I've been chasing it for years and have yet to find a game like it.

I was in Shadowclan on an alt, it was pretty fun. The language is quick to pickup and demanding tribut owned.

I looked a while back and they seem to be mostly dead. The WoW guild had maybe 5 actives etc.

Last night i spent some time looking for a mmo with a pvp server but all of the gameplay footage i've seen looks like crap with all the hotbars and ui poo poo. It looks like a wow raid but with players. Open world idk brawling is what I more look for.

ESO looked decent but I made it about 2 hours into that game before giving up.

edit: hib loop best loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I don't care much, I like Mid most because the Healer is my favorite class in the game by a wide margin. (Possibly in any game ever made)

But I wouldn't mind playing Hib or Alb the next time around (if there is another opportunity soon that is).

• Locked thread