Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I think we'd all be a lot more agreeable to your obstinacy on this point if it were actually a pain in the rear end to get on the right side of the law, setting aside for now the reasonableness of those laws and the likelihood of you actually getting caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
What I learned from this whole exchange is that I'm never making a prop gun again. :stare:

Normally I play board games on Wednesdays but thanks to barely any snow and a ton of traffic my drive home took over an hour so I stayed in and made my Witch King helmet pattern instead. Bonus shots of my new costume planner book that my friend made for me for Christmas, I love it and also I clearly need to get used to drawing larger.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

McPantserton posted:

What I learned from this whole exchange is that I'm never making a prop gun again. :stare:

Normally I play board games on Wednesdays but thanks to barely any snow and a ton of traffic my drive home took over an hour so I stayed in and made my Witch King helmet pattern instead. Bonus shots of my new costume planner book that my friend made for me for Christmas, I love it and also I clearly need to get used to drawing larger.

Your friend is awesome.

A question for everyone: when you started out, whose brain did you pick? Where did you go for advice when it came to picking out materials or appropriate fabric, or just going over concepts?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

foxatee posted:

Your friend is awesome.

A question for everyone: when you started out, whose brain did you pick? Where did you go for advice when it came to picking out materials or appropriate fabric, or just going over concepts?

Right? I was kind of amazed because I put the Enchiridion on a wishlist that my husband wanted me to put together for Christmas just to be snarky and my friend didn't even know. Totally love it.

Actually now that I think about it when we first got into big costumes, I didn't really know that the online community was so big. I had a few big name people that I followed on facebook like Volpin, Yaya Han, etc. but mostly I consulted with my buddy forums lurker Maeloke, we co-built our Big Daddy suit from Bioshock way back in the day. After that project was a ton of fun and a big hit, I started following a lot of other builders like Kamui Cosplay, Blind Squirrel Props, and tons more and I got a lot of new ideas from reading over their build logs and watching how they made stuff. I think over the years I've used Blind Squirrel's techniques more than anybody else's and he has also always answered my emails when I've asked him about stuff he's done, his work is fantastic.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

McPantserton posted:

Watch out on that mask. Folded like that, it looks like a lower receiver and, therefore, a firearm.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Just don't have a cavity in it that could move bullets from a magazine to the chamber. All it has to be is a solid piece of plastic in the middle, which makes for less work if you're carving. It's more work if you're 3d printing from a schematic of a "real" gun, because then you have to alter the file and it uses more plastic since it's solid and not hollow obv.

Then there's the wisdom of having highly realistic gun props but that's not a BATFA issue.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Tamir Lenk posted:

Watch out on that mask. Folded like that, it looks like a lower receiver and, therefore, a firearm.

Actually on that particular model, the upper is the serialized part. Therefore the lower itself is not a firearm. :colbert:

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
To be as precise as possible, you can build all the real firearms you want in the United States as long as they are for personal use and not for sale, as well as not readily modifiable to be fully automatic. People make their own AR lowers legally all the time using mills and drill presses. You can not sell them unless you are a licensed manufacturer, but you can make them. Now, as for carrying one around, that could be problematic at some venues. Since PAX South is in Texas, it's really up to the convention rules(and possibly city ordinance) since it's not actually illegal to carry a rifle in public in that state. There's a whole Open Carry movement that does that around there all the time (dumb as they may be).

So, I would just like to reiterate that the other TFR goons here are right that if you plan on selling prop guns that are based on real designs that you make sure that they are as completely non-functional as possible. The BATFE has been known to seize airsoft guns that they deemed to be too close structurally to real firearms. It's best to play it safe as you should never take your rectal health for granted.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

To be as precise as possible, you can build all the real firearms you want in the United States as long as they are for personal use and not for sale, as well as not readily modifiable to be fully automatic. People make their own AR lowers legally all the time using mills and drill presses. You can not sell them unless you are a licensed manufacturer, but you can make them.

You CAN sell firearms made for personal use without a manufacturing license, so long as you didn't manufacture the firearm with the intent to sell it.

There's too much in firearm law that relies on intent or prior knowledge that the BATFE (and really big fires) can make your life hard.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Just don't have a cavity in it that could move bullets from a magazine to the chamber. All it has to be is a solid piece of plastic in the middle, which makes for less work if you're carving. It's more work if you're 3d printing from a schematic of a "real" gun, because then you have to alter the file and it uses more plastic since it's solid and not hollow obv.

Then there's the wisdom of having highly realistic gun props but that's not a BATFA issue.

It's really less the magazine area, and more the fire control group area that you need to be concerned about. They make a number of single-shot AR style lowers that either have a solid, or no magazine well, and are still a firearm.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Becoming TFR! Cosplay Creation Thread

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

McPantserton posted:

Awesome! Another Witch King! I'm still working on mine, getting it weathered and all that. A bunch of great dudes over at the RPF helped point out some parts that need work, namely that I need more robes (not like it isn't already hot enough here.), so gonna be trying to get those done soon!

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

oneof27 posted:

Becoming TFR! Cosplay Creation Thread

TFR goons can like cosplay too, y'know. I like seeing cool poo poo: cosplayers make/come up with cool poo poo on a regular basis.

MajorGravy posted:

Awesome! Another Witch King! I'm still working on mine, getting it weathered and all that. A bunch of great dudes over at the RPF helped point out some parts that need work, namely that I need more robes (not like it isn't already hot enough here.), so gonna be trying to get those done soon!

Cool poo poo like this, which is goddamned fantastic. Seriously the only real improvements possible here are adding a) more black, tattered cloth or b) having someone make the helmet and armour our of steel(which would be goddamned expensive)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

MajorGravy posted:

Aaaa yes, this looks awesome!! What did you make yours out of? I ended up with about a half sheet of worbla left over from my last costume unexpectedly so I'm using that, cardboard for stabilizing, and apoxiesculpt for the deeper details. I'm so glad the movie pieces look so textured, I'm never doing woodglue surfacing again on worbla (it has been A PROBLEM on my Edea helmet). I'm super happy you did the sword and not his mace, the mace is bigger and more dramatic but I think it looks soooo goofy and I'm leaning towards sword too.

e. I am completely devastated by the news of Leonard Nimoy's passing and am considering scrapping every single cosplan I have to cosplay as Spock 100 times.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 27, 2015

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The mace is great, but it'd just look goofy without having some serious weight to it, which would probably end up turning it into a real weapon(fun fact: flails/morningstars are prohibited weapons in Canada)

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

MohawkSatan posted:

TFR goons can like cosplay too, y'know. I like seeing cool poo poo: cosplayers make/come up with cool poo poo on a regular basis.

Cool poo poo like this, which is goddamned fantastic. Seriously the only real improvements possible here are adding a) more black, tattered cloth or b) having someone make the helmet and armour our of steel(which would be goddamned expensive)

That helmet in steel would weigh a ton. Casting it in aluminum OTOH . . .

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Just make sure that helmet has the cavity filled in so that it isn't functional as a conduit to Sauron or the Maiar might seize it as a prohibited accessory of evil. Never take your spiritual health for granted.

(it's beautiful work)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

So, I would just like to reiterate that the other TFR goons here are right that if you plan on selling prop guns that are based on real designs that you make sure that they are as completely non-functional as possible. The BATFE has been known to seize airsoft guns that they deemed to be too close structurally to real firearms. It's best to play it safe as you should never take your rectal health for granted.

The ATF is generally amazingly dumb. They've not only hosed with airsoft guns that could theoretically be converted with precise milling, but they've even tried to seize guns that aren't dimensionally similar, lacking the space or holes for real fire control parts (because they're an empty shell with a gearbox and motor inside), purely because they look like the real thing and they figure that it must just be really easy to convert them. You don't even need to make an 80% lower for cosplay to get them riled up, because their agents have literally looked at plastic replicas that require as much effort to convert to a live firing weapon as making a zip gun from scratch and said "Yes, these should be illegal."

This did give us a wonderful video where an ATF agent being interviewed tried to show off the SCARY BLACK AIRSOFT GUN while trying to force the magazine in backwards.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, I have a question about something that was brought up earlier. Some cons don't allow guns of any kind? Even if it's a solid piece of plastic or wood?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

10 Beers posted:

So, I have a question about something that was brought up earlier. Some cons don't allow guns of any kind? Even if it's a solid piece of plastic or wood?

Correct. Every con will have their own rules as to what kinds of props are allowed, as well as what kinds of materials those props are made from. Always check the dress code/costume rules before attending a con!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
My husband got sent back to his room with an obviously fake prop rifle (WITH NO MOVING PARTS OR POSSIBILITY FOR MOVING PARTS) at AMKE, yeah.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Here's where Angmar ended up today, base worbla piece cut and shaped with the raised bevel details sculpted on in clay. I decided that it probably doesn't need a stabilizing layer after all and tossed that out, tomorrow I'll sand these clay raised parts a bit to blend them better and then cover the whole thing in its 2nd sheet of plastic, add some distress with my dremel, then get my antler game goin'.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How do you go about making convincing antlers? Or branches, for that matter? I've got a thing I wanna do for Halloween if able, and my choices are basically either make something, go outside and get some branches, or buy some antlers. I figure actual branches would snap too easily once they're dry, and actual antlers would cost a small fortune to acquire where I live.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Foam? Expanding foam?
Edit: http://jolien-rosanne.deviantart.com/art/making-of-antlers-441820885
Like dis?

foxatee fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 1, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Man, this is like one of those 'draw a horse' guides from when I was a kid. We need three more steps between 'pile of cheese whiz' and 'shaped like actual horns'

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I've been working on an outfit and I wanted to take advantage of the snow. Even though it's not finished, I think the pictures came out pretty good. These aren't intended to be final shots or anything, but to give me an idea of how it looks. I know, glasses.

Almost everything has been made from scratch. Aside from things like the buckles themselves, I made everything except for the boots, pants, and shirt. Tunic, belt, shield, everything I made. The fabric is all wool, so I wasn't too cold.

I haven't put a fastener on the cloak yet. Although it looked really cool blowing in the wind, it was a pain keeping it on. Next big piece is going to be the chest plate of the vest.

Detail of the shield, quiver, and tunic.

The bracers were designed in Illustrator and "printed" using a laser cutter at the local makerspace. This shot shows the detail I got. Using the laser cutter wasn't super easy; it took a few tries to get the settings right.

The quiver was done by hand.

Before assembly.

Feedback, critique, criticism, all welcome. This is my first time making everything I can from scratch.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

McPantserton posted:

Aaaa yes, this looks awesome!! What did you make yours out of? I ended up with about a half sheet of worbla left over from my last costume unexpectedly so I'm using that, cardboard for stabilizing, and apoxiesculpt for the deeper details. I'm so glad the movie pieces look so textured, I'm never doing woodglue surfacing again on worbla (it has been A PROBLEM on my Edea helmet). I'm super happy you did the sword and not his mace, the mace is bigger and more dramatic but I think it looks soooo goofy and I'm leaning towards sword too.

Using my usual mix of 6mm EVA foam and 4mm foam! Mostly lots of shaping using the heatgun, then glued together with superglue and contact glue. The little antler bits are each held in place with half a needle, sawn in half.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Pagan posted:

awesome stuff

That is looking great so far (and the second picture is lovely, I'm jealous of wherever you are). How heavy is that shield? It looks like it would get annoying to carry around after a bit, but I guess that would add to the realism :v:

I'm working on something in a similar fantasy-medieval vein for the AZ ren faire going on right now, my stuff's mostly scavenged/altered clothes from Goodwill though. I just finished this and it's cobbled together from like five different brown belts, plus some hardware and faux fur I had lying around. Pretty pleased with how it turned out even if it's a little rough on the inside. Hooray for glue.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Squarely Circle posted:

That is looking great so far (and the second picture is lovely, I'm jealous of wherever you are). How heavy is that shield? It looks like it would get annoying to carry around after a bit, but I guess that would add to the realism :v:

That a park near my house in Providence, RI. We've had about 6 feet of snow in the past 6 weeks, so there's no shortage of it. The "bridge" is just a small overpass, but I've always thought it would look good in pictures.

The shield is heavy as hell. It's thick enough for real combat; 2 layers of 1/4" plywood then the strips, all glued and pressed in a mold. I plan on building a much smaller one to carry at cons.

Squarely Circle posted:

I'm working on something in a similar fantasy-medieval vein for the AZ ren faire going on right now, my stuff's mostly scavenged/altered clothes from Goodwill though. I just finished this and it's cobbled together from like five different brown belts, plus some hardware and faux fur I had lying around. Pretty pleased with how it turned out even if it's a little rough on the inside. Hooray for glue.

You're off to a good start, what kind of outfit are you planning on?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Squarely Circle posted:

This looks pretty great, and at first I thought it was a close up shot of a dog collar or similar, and I was trying to imagine how bad-rear end your :black101: WAR HOUND :black101: would look.

So, for once I've come into some money, and I'm looking to actually make something I want to make for a change. To start, I want to make a pair of these stilts. I'm trying to source the materials for it, but frankly I have no clue where to even begin looking. Can anyone recommend suppliers that are reasonably priced and relatively close to Western New York?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

This looks pretty great, and at first I thought it was a close up shot of a dog collar or similar, and I was trying to imagine how bad-rear end your :black101: WAR HOUND :black101: would look.

So, for once I've come into some money, and I'm looking to actually make something I want to make for a change. To start, I want to make a pair of these stilts. I'm trying to source the materials for it, but frankly I have no clue where to even begin looking. Can anyone recommend suppliers that are reasonably priced and relatively close to Western New York?

That link includes some online sources for the materials. Most of the listed materials (metal stock, fasteners, etc.) should be available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. The only things you may not find there would be the sintra and aircraft cable. If so, drop that poo poo into an Amazon search. I find almost everything there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tamir Lenk posted:

That link includes some online sources for the materials. Most of the listed materials (metal stock, fasteners, etc.) should be available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. The only things you may not find there would be the sintra and aircraft cable. If so, drop that poo poo into an Amazon search. I find almost everything there.

Wouldn't you know it, I had discounted the website links because the guy's Canadian, and I figured most Canadian suppliers wouldn't ship to the US, but there's a Metal Supermarkets location literally 5 minutes from me and I never knew that it existed. So tomorrow I'll be heading there and pricing things out and looking at other stuff. Here's hoping.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Long live the King! :black101:

After these photos I did a few more adjustments to the bottom of the faceplate so it's closer together now and I'm really happy with the overall look. Spent maybe 8-10 hours on the whole helmet from start to finish, going to hit it with spray tomorrow morning. I have no idea when I'm going to make the rest of the costume but whatever, I really liked working on something fast before I get into my huge WoW build.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

McPantserton posted:

Long live the King! :black101:

After these photos I did a few more adjustments to the bottom of the faceplate so it's closer together now and I'm really happy with the overall look. Spent maybe 8-10 hours on the whole helmet from start to finish, going to hit it with spray tomorrow morning. I have no idea when I'm going to make the rest of the costume but whatever, I really liked working on something fast before I get into my huge WoW build.

Thou fool! No living man may cosplay a witch-king!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

SpartanIV posted:

Thou fool! No living man may cosplay a witch-king!

But no living man am I!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm late to this but

McPantserton posted:

But no living man am I!

:boom:
:drat:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I have a bit of a conundrum. I need to get some velcro straps for the stilts I'm making. The instructions tell me that making my own will be cheaper and result in stronger straps, but I don't have access to a sewing machine and can't sew to save my life. Does anyone have any good tips or products to recommend for making velcro straps?

Alternatively, I've found several different velcro straps on Amazon and a few other sites, but I don't know how strong they are. Considering they'll be holding my legs and feet in the stilts, they'll have to hold quite a bit of weight. Can anyone recommend some specific straps that are heavy-duty enough for that sort of job?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You could look into Quakehold! products. Their safety straps utilize some pretty hardcore velcro to help keep furniture stable in earthquake conditions. v:shobon:v

http://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-4162-15-Inch-Furniture-Antique/dp/B000FJP24U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425951487&sr=8-1&keywords=quake+straps

Here is an example.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hmm. The only thing that might not work about those is that the 2nd half of the velcro needs to be stuck to something, rather than the strap sticking to itself. I'm beginning to wonder if I could possibly skip the velcro altogether and find a different alternative? I get that the velcro is ideal because you can fine tune how tight it holds you in, but there's gotta be some other buckle or clip or something I could use to do the same job.

EDIT: What about either the ladder lock buckle, or the cam buckle? Anyone have experience with either of those?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 10, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I can't seem to find any turnbuckles with a load bearing weight greater than 130lbs. I specifically need two that are 5/16 x 9 inches eye-and-eye and rated for at least 600lbs each. The problem is that my googling around is only either yielding inexpensive ones that will definitely fail, or ones that will support the load they need, but are $40/each. Anyone have any ideas on where to go?

Would going with a different, slightly larger turnbuckle yield generally stronger components, you think? Or is this a question for a different thread, maybe?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I can't seem to find any turnbuckles with a load bearing weight greater than 130lbs. I specifically need two that are 5/16 x 9 inches eye-and-eye and rated for at least 600lbs each. The problem is that my googling around is only either yielding inexpensive ones that will definitely fail, or ones that will support the load they need, but are $40/each. Anyone have any ideas on where to go?

Would going with a different, slightly larger turnbuckle yield generally stronger components, you think? Or is this a question for a different thread, maybe?

Are you like 500 pounds or something? The directions on the page just say "verify that their weight limit is greater than your weight." I don't know why you'd need them to be able to hold 600 pounds if you're nowhere near that heavy.