Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the idea is that it's "brittle" compared to Force of Will since it's not a hard counter? But yeah it would break every format ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the idea is that it's "brittle" compared to Force of Will since it's not a hard counter? But yeah it would break every format ever.

How would it break every format ever dude

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

There's already specific templating for Faerie Creatures vs Faerie Cards.

I don't really buy any explanations involving things being "counterintuitive" because that's so subjective I mean like breathing through one's nostrils is counterintuitive to literal mouthbreathers. I think there is some mechanical complexity with poo poo like mutavault with lords active and people not immediately making the connection that lord of atlantis grows mutavault, but I feel like that's more specific to mutavault than with tribal cards in general.

Like I don't think anyone's perplexed after five seconds of light contemplation tops in MMA or TPF when Blightspeaker or Amrou Scout go and find a Bound in Silence but I'll admit I do take some of this stuff for granted.

Its more confusing than you're suggesting because it breaks your normal expectations about a Faerie or a Dragon or a Rebel is. It is not in fact obvious that when you search your library for a "Faerie" that you could search for an Instant.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You couldn't tap out to any deck ever because every single deck ever can play that card because there's no actual color requirements nor restrictions on what it can target.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

gently caress playing on curve ever again basically.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Except MM is irrelevant in a Standard format like 99% of the time. This card would be completely relevant in every deck all the time to the point it would be better than Force of Will in Standard because everyone could play it since it doesn't require you to either reveal the card or the card to even be blue.

I get that any deck could cast this against reasonable targets but I think the drawback for the benefit is actually injurious enough such that it would only really get powerful as you move backwards through formats, and even then it is not strictly as powerful as mental misstep was in those formats.

This card does two things:

protects a combo piece from discard without your opponent being able to interact (since it's the cost).
is a daze for a card draw instead of a land drop.

Daze wasn't really playable in Standard and even to this day only really sees play in aggro tempo decks because otherwise it is too easy to play around and the drawback is too great for the effect.

I think most of the time in a Daze deck you would want Daze over this as the drawback is less injurious (you were probably gonna miss land drop 3/4 anyways so Dazing and replaying a land on turn 3/4 isn't negative).

However, this would probably an an auto-include in storm decks/storm sideboards and other unfair blue combo decks as it is another tuck effect to protect your important card, which is separate from the (comparatively lovely) counterspell effect, plus it would then give you the ability to run 4 FoW, 4 this, and some number of spell pierce / flusterstorm for a critical mass of reasonable to play counterspells, and for non-TES/ANT decks you typically have a card(or cards) in hand that you don't give so many shits about so the drawback is minimal (if you're gonna show and tell griselbrand on turn 2 who gives a gently caress what the other 4 cards in your hand are?)

I think you'd see a strong shift towards combo/control (ie, Show and Tell, High Tide, something I'm probably forgetting) and the meta would evolve into Blue Control decks and Blue Combo decks and since this, like mental misstep, would still be lovely outside of blue decks, you'd gently caress the whole meta again and warp it into something godawful, but rather than it being A Wide Variety of Blue Tempo Decks it would be powerful combos and guns aimed directly at powerful combos that would get taken out by the idiots who didn't realize that Maverick was not competitive against the Tier 1 combo deck and could only prey on the Tier 2 Control deck.

But this is all masturbatory because that card isn't real.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sigma-X posted:

I get that any deck could cast this against reasonable targets but I think the drawback for the benefit is actually injurious enough such that it would only really get powerful as you move backwards through formats, and even then it is not strictly as powerful as mental misstep was in those formats.

This card does two things:

protects a combo piece from discard without your opponent being able to interact (since it's the cost).
is a daze for a card draw instead of a land drop.

Daze wasn't really playable in Standard and even to this day only really sees play in aggro tempo decks because otherwise it is too easy to play around and the drawback is too great for the effect.

I think most of the time in a Daze deck you would want Daze over this as the drawback is less injurious (you were probably gonna miss land drop 3/4 anyways so Dazing and replaying a land on turn 3/4 isn't negative).

However, this would probably an an auto-include in storm decks/storm sideboards and other unfair blue combo decks as it is another tuck effect to protect your important card, which is separate from the (comparatively lovely) counterspell effect, plus it would then give you the ability to run 4 FoW, 4 this, and some number of spell pierce / flusterstorm for a critical mass of reasonable to play counterspells, and for non-TES/ANT decks you typically have a card(or cards) in hand that you don't give so many shits about so the drawback is minimal (if you're gonna show and tell griselbrand on turn 2 who gives a gently caress what the other 4 cards in your hand are?)

I think you'd see a strong shift towards combo/control (ie, Show and Tell, High Tide, something I'm probably forgetting) and the meta would evolve into Blue Control decks and Blue Combo decks and since this, like mental misstep, would still be lovely outside of blue decks, you'd gently caress the whole meta again and warp it into something godawful, but rather than it being A Wide Variety of Blue Tempo Decks it would be powerful combos and guns aimed directly at powerful combos that would get taken out by the idiots who didn't realize that Maverick was not competitive against the Tier 1 combo deck and could only prey on the Tier 2 Control deck.

But this is all masturbatory because that card isn't real.

I agree with what you're saying except saying it wouldn't be good in Standard because Daze wasn't good in a Standard from almost 2 decades ago that most of us probably don't remember. The difference between Daze and this card is that you have some reasonable indication that someone could play Daze. You can't play around a counterspell that's playable in every single deck where the only real requirement is having 2 cards in your hand.

I get what you're saying - it does less for you to win the game than other cards do (especially in Standard that has no combos). But it doesn't matter - enough people *would* play it to completely ruin the format and make it miserable. If my opponent has three untapped islands and I tap my three mountains to cast Goblin Rabblemaster and it gets Dissolved, well I took a calculated risk in casting that spell. If my opponent has three tapped mountains and his own Rabblemaster, and then I cast a Rabblemaster, and then it gets countered, I'm going to be justifiably pissed off.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 6, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah OK I guess it's probably not good in EDH.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Its more confusing than you're suggesting because it breaks your normal expectations about a Faerie or a Dragon or a Rebel is. It is not in fact obvious that when you search your library for a "Faerie" that you could search for an Instant.

I mean at one point I didn't know creatures were counted in spells but once I learned that was a rule I felt like the concept of tribal wasn't weird. In fact, I had been playing magic for about a year when they did the legend creature type to legendary creature rules change and I didn't actually realize that rules change meant anything.

I mean, I think they should emphasize the card part more but it's a game about wizard poker people should look forward to having their expectations broken because that's what makes wizards cool in the first place.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

You couldn't tap out to any deck ever because every single deck ever can play that card because there's no actual color requirements nor restrictions on what it can target.

Ramos posted:

gently caress playing on curve ever again basically.

Unless I'm tapping out to play something big or it will absolutely lose me the game as a result, I'll personally generally be pretty happy that you've pitched two cards to counter my one.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I agree with what you're saying except saying it wouldn't be good in Standard because Daze wasn't good in a Standard from almost 2 decades ago that most of us probably don't remember. The difference between Daze and this card is that you have some reasonable indication that someone could play Daze. You can't play around a counterspell that's playable in every single deck where the only real requirement is having 2 cards in your hand.

I get what you're saying - it does less for you to win the game than other cards do (especially in Standard that has no combos). But it doesn't matter - enough people *would* play it to completely ruin the format and make it miserable. If my opponent has three untapped islands and I tap my three mountains to cast Goblin Rabblemaster and it gets Dissolved, well I took a calculated risk in casting that spell. If my opponent has three tapped mountains and his own Rabblemaster, and then I cast a Rabblemaster, and then it gets countered, I'm going to be justifiably pissed off.

I started playing competitively during Urza/Masques and later Masques/Invasion block. I actually do remember it and foil / thwart were much more playable (and still not heavily played except for small #s in nether-go decks).

Sure it would suck to get countered by this spell in Standard. But your opponent just spent 2 cards for your 1 and while I fully admit I'm not playing Standard right now I can't imagine it's suddenly become a format about fundamental turns where card advantage isn't king over perfect timing.

And in the situation where you're trying to run a rabblemaster into their own rabblemaster instead of killing theri rabblemaster you're probably losing anyways, since they're going to untap as a red deck and kill your rabblemaster for only 1 card instead of 2, meanwhile you could have played your 2-mana 3 damage kill spell on the enemy rabblemaster which is both the correct play and naturally plays around this fake-rear end card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unless I'm tapping out to play something big or it will absolutely lose me the game as a result, I'll personally generally be pretty happy that you've pitched two cards to counter my one.

The actual strategic implications of that card (while certainly relevant) aren't nearly as important as the fact that it is very poor game design.

Sigma-X posted:

I started playing competitively during Urza/Masques and later Masques/Invasion block. I actually do remember it and foil / thwart were much more playable (and still not heavily played except for small #s in nether-go decks).

Sure it would suck to get countered by this spell in Standard. But your opponent just spent 2 cards for your 1 and while I fully admit I'm not playing Standard right now I can't imagine it's suddenly become a format about fundamental turns where card advantage isn't king over perfect timing.

And in the situation where you're trying to run a rabblemaster into their own rabblemaster instead of killing theri rabblemaster you're probably losing anyways, since they're going to untap as a red deck and kill your rabblemaster for only 1 card instead of 2, meanwhile you could have played your 2-mana 3 damage kill spell on the enemy rabblemaster which is both the correct play and naturally plays around this fake-rear end card.

I'm not saying the game would fundamentally break or you couldn't play around it. I'm saying that card is the opposite of fun. All it does is add randomness to the game and makes it seem less structured by rules.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 6, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

The actual strategic implications of that card (while certainly relevant) aren't nearly as important as the fact that it is very poor game design.

It's a fake card made by an idiot on the internet, I think it goes without saying that it's bad game design.

Talking about the implications this bad design would have is fun to me though :)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having your turn 3 play countered for zero mana by a deck that can goldfish you in 4 turns seems pretty fun.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 6, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Having your turn 3 play countered by a deck that can goldfish you in 4 turns seems pretty fun.

So this goldfishing deck goes

T1, 5 cards in hand
T2, 3-4 cards in hand
T3, 1-3 cards in hand, emptying out to counter your spell
T4, swing and cast the 1 cards remaining?

And you've made no plays on turn 1 and 2 and they were on the play?

Here's pretty much the only deck that can run this counterspell:

Mt, Gob Guide, 18
Mt, GG#2, Bolt. 11
Mt, Bolt , COUNTER YOUR poo poo 4
Bolt, -3 (or fireblast for -4)

But that's not a standard deck and it's a literally perfect burn draw to just barely get there.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Almost any 7 card Sligh hand does it I think, although the level of early interaction is obviously way higher in modern. I just goldfished 5 times and succeeded three times with
T1: Mountain, Swiftspear (19 health, 5 cards)
T2: Mountain, Swiftspear, Titan's Strength (12 health, 3 cards)
T3: Titan's Strength (5 health, 3 cards) [spend two cards countering Drown/Anger/Courser]
T4: Hammerhand (0 health, 1 card)

T1: Mountain, Foundry Street (20 health, 5 cards)
T2: Mountain, Swift, Swift (15 health, 3 cards)
T3: Dragon Mantle, Titan's Strength (5 health, 3 cards) [-2 cards for counter]
T5: Hammerhand, or indeed any other spell (0 health, 1 card)

T1: Mountain, Swift (19, 5)
T2: Mountain, Crusader, Hammerhand (14, 3)
T3: Mountain, Dragon Mantle (7, 3) [-2]
T4: Nothing (0, 2)

So actually on second thoughts I've changed my mind, please print this card Wizards.

Anyway I proved nothing but I at least had fun with my goldfishing, peace.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 6, 2015

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
After 2 months of losing every round, last night I drafted 3-0 and just wanted to say Alesha + Ponyback Brigade + Collateral Damage is the best thing ever.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Almost any 7 card Sligh hand does it I think, although the level of early interaction is obviously way higher in modern. I just goldfished 5 times and succeeded three times with
T1: Mountain, Swiftspear (19 health, 5 cards)
T2: Mountain, Swiftspear, Titan's Strength (12 health, 3 cards)
T3: Titan's Strength (5 health, 3 cards) [spend two cards countering Drown/Anger/Courser]
T4: Hammerhand (0 health, 1 card)

T1: Mountain, Foundry Street (20 health, 5 cards)
T2: Mountain, Swift, Swift (15 health, 3 cards)
T3: Dragon Mantle, Titan's Strength (5 health, 3 cards) [-2 cards for counter]
T5: Hammerhand, or indeed any other spell (0 health, 1 card)

T1: Mountain, Swift (19, 5)
T2: Mountain, Crusader, Hammerhand (14, 3)
T3: Mountain, Dragon Mantle (7, 3) [-2]
T4: Nothing (0, 2)

So actually on second thoughts I've changed my mind, please print this card Wizards.

Anyway I proved nothing but I at least had fun with my goldfishing, peace.

Excuse me its

T1: R/w Land (20 / 6)
T2: Hero's Blade + Mountain (20 / 6)
T3: Anax and Cymede + Land (20 / 5) [-2]
T4: Titan's Strength + Temur Battle Rage (-2 / 1)

WITH A CARD LEFT OVER

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Note that the image is from an article, and also the collector's number does not make sense if you compare it to Anticipation (it should have a higher number since it comes later alphabetically).

Also it's a colourless turn one counterspell how could anyone believe this

Fakest card I've ever seen

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Blood Chin Fanatic 1BB
Creature - Orc Warrior
1B: Sacrifice another warrior, target player loses X life and you gain X life, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.
3/3

Too bad about that not being able to sac to yourself.

I really wish they would stop trying to make warriors a thing

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bhsman posted:

Hey if anyone sees a Brittle Will card floating about it is most likely fake.

Page 43, guys. :eng101:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hey, if anyone sees Will Brittle, he owes me fifty bucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

So Force and Daze wouldn't big deals, right? It's not like Tasigur and Rabblemaster are fans of free counterspells.

Have you ever been Dazed?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't see how tribal is difficult to understand. What was the issue?

I mean ok I'm sure somewhere some idiot was trying to find the power and toughness on the card then starved to death, and Maro will never forgive himself for the horrors he unleashed but seriously, where is the fault?

There's just a lot of weird things about how they ended up having to do it. The basic idea -- make this Enchantment count as a Faerie card, or make this Sorcery count as a Goblin card -- is a cool one, and lets you do neat stuff. But in development they realized that (for vague rules reasons I still don't quite grok) you can't just make a card with the typeline "Enchantment -- Faerie", because types with existing subtypes of their own can't use the creature subtypes too. Because reasons. Ask Matt Tabak. So they had to create a whole new card type (Tribal is a type, not a supertype as people who haven't played with Tarmogoyf tend to assume) just to make it work. That's just ugly even by Magic rules standards. And then you get into an issue they often have with mechanics like this, which is that there's a million past and future cards that seem like they should be tribal but aren't. Goblin Grenade isn't a goblin card? Form of the Dragon isn't a dragon card? Tribal is in a weird spot where the more they use it, the weirder it seems when they don't, and they disliked how they ended up having to implement it enough that they weren't in a hurry to keep using it again, so it fell by the wayside.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So today we have our regularly scheduled spoilers in like an hour and change, and later we get PAX spoilers (which will probably just be Sarkhan and Origins stuff) right?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Hey, if anyone sees Will Brittle, he owes me fifty bucks

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Can anyone give me a rundown on how this prelease will work (I have never done one before)? My LGS already has me signed up for it (I will be paying at FNM tonight), but I see there are 5 different D20 each correspond to a different DragonLord. I am guessing in the seeder-pack (?) depending on which dragon I pick will be the color of the said dragonlord I pick?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I was planning on going to GP Cleveland to do modern side events but they just published the price/prize structure for them and it sounds kind of poor. Is that typical for GPs? I realize they need to cover the cost of the venue, etc. but I estimate the constructed side events are at around 35% payout vs. the total pay in by players.

I especially dislike the chuck e cheese style prize wall with ticket payouts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Note that the image is from an article, and also the collector's number does not make sense if you compare it to Anticipation (it should have a higher number since it comes later alphabetically).

Also it's a colourless turn one counterspell how could anyone believe this

This card is better than Daze lol

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

This card is better than Daze lol

Daze is objectively better in one aspect, however. :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

In the aspect of existence?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It's BACK!

http://www.moxboardinghouse.com/media/dragons-tarkir-spoiler-card/

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What's with dtk and people faking free counterspells?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bhsman posted:

Existing?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Chamale posted:

Existing?

Well there is that, also, Daze isn't card disadvantage.

moxiemag
Sep 12, 2013

Offtopic is dead. Long live Offtopic
So is anyone seeing the value in buying a box yet for this release?

I'm talking pure potential on return. i'll still buy a box because i like to open product though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

bhsman posted:

Yeah, it buys me an extra turn with Stasis.

It's too bad by that point in time Stasis isn't that good anymore and the best Necropotence deck is Trix.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

moxiemag posted:

So is anyone seeing the value in buying a box yet for this release?

I'm talking pure potential on return. i'll still buy a box because i like to open product though.

Cue 4 pages of "BUYING BOXES IS THE DUMBEST THING YOU CAN DO YOU BIG FAT IDIOT"

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Ultimate Price being reprinted in a block with Siege Rhino seems like a cruel joke.

mcmagic posted:

In the aspect of existence?

Chamale posted:

Existing?

Yep.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'm late for this, but RE: Tribal mechanic. Part of the problem isn't even the complexity of it being a type. There is definitely a problem with the fact that it's a type that means nothing by itself, but there's a much bigger underlying issue. It would be almost impossible to fairly distribute Tribal types for spells. Bitterblossom is one of the premier examples of this. Why is Bitterblossom a tribal faerie? What about Bitterblossom makes it a tribal faerie and not a tribal rogue or tribal faerie rogue? Especially in the set that explicitly cares more about you being a rogue than being a faerie? In fact, Notorious Throng in the exact same set makes the exact same tokens yet is a tribal rogue.

There's very little consistency in the implementation and they have absolutely no reason to want to errata older cards that make perfect sense as tribal spells into tribals. There's no reason Boggart Shenanigans should be a tribal goblin but Goblin Assault can't be one. There's far more cards that don't have the tribal type (basically all token makers) that should have it than cards that actually have the mechanic. WotC has simply said that "this was a bad idea from the beginning, just ignore every card with the mechanic and we will never go forward with it," rather than trying to fix an incredibly broken and inconsistent framework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

bhsman posted:

Ultimate Price being reprinted in a block with Siege Rhino seems like a cruel joke.

Just think of it as in a block with Magic Origins to feel better.

• Locked thread