Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I only ever knew it from Serda Sumuncus comedy reading a few years ago and that is pretty drat hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Libluini posted:

Hitler: Sterile and lifeless art, tedious writing, excellent mass murderer.

If Hitler was such a bad artist, then how did he manage such a large cultural impact hmmmmm? Really makes you think.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Orange Devil posted:

If Hitler was such a bad artist, then how did he manage such a large cultural impact hmmmmm? Really makes you think.

Because he mostly appears in video games which aren't art.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Randler posted:

Because he mostly appears in video games which aren't art.

He has his own TV channel though.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
:nws:

http://i.imgur.com/n1Y9wmT.jpg

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I tell you, Hitler is completely underrated as a musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW7iF4kANGI

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Old, but maybe still interesting:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/eugh-urteil-zu-desertiertem-amerikaner-deutschland-muss-moegliche-us-kriegsverbrechen-pruefen-1.2368615

In 2007 a US military mechanic deserted his unit and asked for asylum in Germany. Obviously, Germany didn't want to touch that poo poo with a ten foot pole and turned him down. But he went into revision and now a EU court ruled in his favor and stated that his asylum case depends on whether he can prove that he would have been involved in war crimes in Iraq.

The funny part is that this forces Bavarian courts to actually investigate US activity in Iraq and take a position on US war crimes there.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

lmao :boom:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

waitwhatno posted:

Old, but maybe still interesting:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/eugh-urteil-zu-desertiertem-amerikaner-deutschland-muss-moegliche-us-kriegsverbrechen-pruefen-1.2368615

In 2007 a US military mechanic deserted his unit and asked for asylum in Germany. Obviously, Germany didn't want to touch that poo poo with a ten foot pole and turned him down. But he went into revision and now a EU court ruled in his favor and stated that his asylum case depends on whether he can prove that he would have been involved in war crimes in Iraq.

The funny part is that this forces Bavarian courts to actually investigate US activity in Iraq and take a position on US war crimes there.

actually that's easy: no war crimes were made, ever, by our allies

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

actually that's easy: no war crimes were made, ever, by our allies

On the other hand: Italy, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Croatia and Japan.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Yeah sure, I totally believe that guy that he only had doubts about the legality of US wars once he wad actually required to leave his cushy home base. Dude deserves whatever the US will eventually throw at him.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
I guess you misread the article because the guy had already completed an active tour in Iraq and decided to desert when he was called up to go back to Iraq. So it's not like his thought process went something like "Joined the Army for a safe gig. What, they want me to go to war now? That's not what I signed up for, better desert and make up some justification."

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Even if: you can't fault an 18 year old who signed up for what he thought was saving the world, but is actually murdering children and getting shot at for rich dude's dumb interests, and now decides he does not actually want to murder children while being shot at. There is a long row of people who bear more responsibility here than the soldier.

On the other hand, intuitively, it doesn't make much sense for Germany to host him when German soldiers are mostly less likely to commit crimes because they're fewer and get around less.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Cingulate posted:

Even if: you can't fault an 18 year old who signed up for what he thought was saving the world, but is actually murdering children and getting shot at for rich dude's dumb interests, and now decides he does not actually want to murder children while being shot at. There is a long row of people who bear more responsibility here than the soldier.

On the other hand, intuitively, it doesn't make much sense for Germany to host him when German soldiers are mostly less likely to commit crimes because they're fewer and get around less.

Won't Germany just hand him over anyways. I mean the US of A are like, our super BFF on paper.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
He will not get asylum. The SZ article is the only one I read that gives him even a slim chance.

Contrast it with Tagesschau.de http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/us-deserteur-deutschland-103.html and LTO http://www.lto.de/recht/nachrichten/n/eugh-urteil-c-472-13-shepherd-deserteur-asyl/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

Yeah sure, I totally believe that guy that he only had doubts about the legality of US wars once he wad actually required to leave his cushy home base. Dude deserves whatever the US will eventually throw at him.

It may shock you, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of US deserters living in Germany right now. For some reason a lot of our occupiers said "gently caress it" over the years and just staid here. After leaving their units a bit too early.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Libluini posted:

It may shock you, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of US deserters living in Germany right now. For some reason a lot of our occupiers said "gently caress it" over the years and just staid here. After leaving their units a bit too early.

They are taking our jobs!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Grendels Dad posted:

They are taking our jobs!

I expect this to become a cheerful expression within the next 5-15 years. At least in Germany.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Libluini posted:

I have no problems with extraditing them to the USA either.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

I have no problems with extraditing them to the USA either.

If you have no problems with extraditing German citizens to a foreign country, then you're officially an rear end in a top hat. Sorry.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Libluini posted:

If you have no problems with extraditing German citizens to a foreign country, then you're officially an rear end in a top hat. Sorry.

Pretty sure US deserters tend to not be German citizen.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Apart from that they have no problem extraditing Germans for crimes as long as the US promises to take the death penalty off the table.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

Klaas Carel Faber was a Dutch member of the SS and a convicted war criminal who Germany sheltered up to his death in 2012 with this bullshit attitude. The reason he got German citizenship? Being a member of the SS.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Riso posted:

Apart from that they have no problem extraditing Germans for crimes as long as the US promises to take the death penalty off the table.

Art 16 Abs. 2 GG

Article 16
[Citizenship – Extradition]

(1) No German may be deprived of his citizenship. Citizenship may be lost only pursuant to a law, and against the will of the person affected only if he does not become stateless as a result.

(2) No German may be extradited to a foreign country. The law may provide otherwise for extraditions to a member state of the European Union or to an international court, provided that the rule of law is observed.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

elwood posted:

Art 16 Abs. 2 GG

Article 16
[Citizenship – Extradition]

(1) No German may be deprived of his citizenship. Citizenship may be lost only pursuant to a law, and against the will of the person affected only if he does not become stateless as a result.

(2) No German may be extradited to a foreign country. The law may provide otherwise for extraditions to a member state of the European Union or to an international court, provided that the rule of law is observed.

Teleologisch reduzieren, transatlantische Freundschaft garantieren!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Another voice in the debate about immigrants being a financial net positive or net negative for the German society:
http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/kritik-an-hans-werner-sinn-in-der-debatte-um-zuwanderung-a-1022197.html
http://doku.iab.de/aktuell/2015/aktueller_bericht_1506.pdf

Haven't read it yet, though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've checked but there is apparently not Kontiolahti thread in the Sports Argument Stadium. Our Anglo-Saxon friends who run this board are confused and think ice hockey is the greatest winter sport of them all, but we know better, of course. Biathlon is king. So I just want to be happy together with this thread that we won the Biathlon relay with both the men and the women. It's no accident that we are the best Winter Olympics country in the world.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Another voice in the debate about immigrants being a financial net positive or net negative for the German society:
http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/kritik-an-hans-werner-sinn-in-der-debatte-um-zuwanderung-a-1022197.html

Looks like a healthy demography to me

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Does he include asylum seekers as immigrants?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

Pretty sure US deserters tend to not be German citizen.

Oh please this is an open secret, thanks to US deserters normally not running around telling everyone why they suddenly want to marry their German sweetheart to get Aufenthaltsrecht or even citizenship, there was even an article in the Zeit a year ago about this. (Or was it Spiegel? It's not like I have photographic memory. :v:)

Orange Devil posted:

Klaas Carel Faber was a Dutch member of the SS and a convicted war criminal who Germany sheltered up to his death in 2012 with this bullshit attitude. The reason he got German citizenship? Being a member of the SS.

Yeah no, there is more to this than just black and white. Or are you insinuating the US army is like the SS?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Libluini posted:

Oh please this is an open secret, thanks to US deserters normally not running around telling everyone why they suddenly want to marry their German sweetheart to get Aufenthaltsrecht or even citizenship, there was even an article in the Zeit a year ago about this. (Or was it Spiegel? It's not like I have photographic memory. :v:)

Just so we are clear. You are telling me that American deserters become German citizens by marrying Germans?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

Yeah no, there is more to this than just black and white. Or are you insinuating the US army is like the SS?

I'm attacking the principle that seemed to underpin your opinion.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

Just so we are clear. You are telling me that American deserters become German citizens by marrying Germans?

In a roundabout way. If I remember this poo poo right, first it's about getting Aufenthaltsrecht für Ehepartner since the deserter will soon be not having the right to stay in Germany anymore, due to not being a US-soldier anymore. This mostly goes astonishingly well, since there are a lot of US-soldiers just leaving service the normal way and staying, so many deserters could successfully evade the wrong kind of attention.

After no-one cares anymore, citizenship gets attempted the normal way.

Orange Devil posted:

I'm attacking the principle that seemed to underpin your opinion.

Extraditing your own citizens without asking why isn't a principle, though. It's not like I'm saying all criminals should be protected if they've comitted crimes outside their home nations borders, since that's unimaginable stupid. But with the many, many not really nice states out there we shouldn't immediately go "OK valued ally, here have this guy who changed his citizenship to ours recently. gently caress our laws, I guess. Torture him extra hard for making us look bad."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

Extraditing your own citizens without asking why isn't a principle, though. It's not like I'm saying all criminals should be protected if they've comitted crimes outside their home nations borders, since that's unimaginable stupid. But with the many, many not really nice states out there we shouldn't immediately go "OK valued ally, here have this guy who changed his citizenship to ours recently. gently caress our laws, I guess. Torture him extra hard for making us look bad."

I agree with you.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Libluini posted:

:agreed: That's why we shouldn't extradite American deserters imho.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A story from last week, here an example of how Bayern uses the federal government to retain their competitive advantages over the other Bundesländer:

http://www.express.de/politik-wirtschaft/bayern-statt-nrw-fahrerlose-autos-ausgebremst,2184,30077614.html

quote:

In Nordrhein-Westfalen soll es keine Teststrecke selbstfahrende Autos geben. Wie jetzt bekannt wurde, plant Bundesverkehrsminister Alexander Dobrindt (44, CSU) lediglich einen Versuch auf der A 9 in Bayern. NRW habe es „kalt erwischt“, sagte Oliver Bayer (38), Verkehrsexperte der Piraten. „Wer auf Bundesmittel setzt, ist verlassen.“ Klaus Voussem (44), verkehrspolitischer Sprecher der CDU, erklärte, NRW habe erneut eine Chance verpasst. „Bei Zukunftsthemen muss man im Vorfeld agieren und tragfähige Konzepte entwickeln, anstatt dem Fortschritt hinterherzuhinken“, kritisierte der Unionspolitiker.

So of course, only Bayern will get assistance of the transportation ministry to test driverless cars. And then this new technology will be produced by firms in Bayern, and we will hear once again how the rest of us should try to become more competitive with Bayern and change our policies. gently caress the CSU.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's only fair. If BAY has to finance together with BW the other 14 federal states they ought to get some benefits.

Right?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Riso posted:

It's only fair. If BAY has to finance together with BW the other 14 federal states they ought to get some benefits.

Right?

Seems pretty 'right' to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

So of course, only Bayern will get assistance of the transportation ministry to test driverless cars. And then this new technology will be produced by firms in Bayern, and we will hear once again how the rest of us should try to become more competitive with Bayern and change our policies. gently caress the CSU.

Oh please, everyone should have known poo poo like this would happen with a Bavarian transportation minister if said minister is also part of the Bavaria-Only-Party sometimes also known as CSU.

Everyone outside Bavaria who gives them votes only gets what they deserve.