Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Soul Glo posted:

When you're out on the map hitting stuff, there's no way of knowing what it is you're hitting if you're basically new to the series like me, though.

Like I have no idea what the very first monsters in the first map are called. I just know I kill them for raw meat. I doubt they're referred to as Walking Raw Meatasaurus.

They don't deserve names, their name is food :colbert:

Jaggi only gets a name because my girlfriend likes it when I sing Jaggi Guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Colapops posted:

The ankylosaurus-like animals you'll see way later are apceros.
The grey-brown ceratopsian-lookalikes that charge you are assholes (rhenoplos)

IDK I think the Rhenoplos look like Anklyosaurus too.

Soul Glo posted:

When you're out on the map hitting stuff, there's no way of knowing what it is you're hitting if you're basically new to the series like me, though.

Like I have no idea what the very first monsters in the first map are called. I just know I kill them for raw meat. I doubt they're referred to as Walking Raw Meatasaurus.

Those are small monsters and yeah, nobody knows the names of those in the beginning. You just have to look those up in the rare cases you need something like Kelbi Horns, but they almost NEVER matter for anything for the rest of the game.

The ones that matter are the big boss monsters and you'll know the names of those for sure.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Colapops posted:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Herbivore <-all of these herbivores show up in MH4U except epioth (it swims) and anteka (I may simply have avoided them)
There's no bullfango in 4U either. (Thank god.)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Celery Face posted:

To make up for it Rhenolops are like twice as aggressive in this game.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Celery Face posted:

Yeah, oops. I forgot about them because I was overlooking them on purpose 'cause they're ~fanged beasts~ now and aren't actually supposed to be on that page.

edit: you can get a bullfango (or was it bulldrome?) mask for your palicoes though.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pierson posted:

You should always kill and never capture because that fucker deserves death, as painful as you can make it.

You should probably kill almost every monster in the game, HR+. For some reason, it very few of the rarer drops from monsters are ever available from capping in 4u.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Capping is easier, kill those fuckers for their glorious gems and plates.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I got five Ukanlos tails from my first kill. :toot:

Ed Boon would be proud.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Elysiume posted:

I got five Ukanlos tails from my first kill. :toot:

Yea, that makes sense. Just like getting two heads from a kill.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Neo_Crimson posted:

To make up for it Rhenolops are like twice as aggressive in this game.

And the brought in the konchu, the bane of my existence gently caress those things.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Konchu is cool, and it is my friend,

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Veskit posted:

And the brought in the konchu, the bane of my existence gently caress those things.

konchu are a free stamdrain so they're OK by me

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Drythe posted:

Capping is easier, kill those fuckers for their glorious gems and plates.
Other way around, you are 'safest' carving for those unless it's a member of the Rath family for their gems or Savage Deviljho for blood, both of which are only available through capture. There's some other materials like this in both pools but you're better off wiki'ing them, like people trying to farm gore feelers.

It's kind of a wash since capturing gives you like a 70% chance for a third reward, and sometimes the drop rates for capturing the rare stuff is like 1-2% higher than the carve rates, so you're left with a choice in that case. Some monsters though have equal chances in which case it's always optimal to go for carves for the guaranteed third shot.

The whole thing is kind of annoying, just Wiki the materials you want and decide from there. If you want a general rule then I'd always kill outside of Raths/Savage Deviljho. I might be forgetting something else.

I'll admit to capturing very often in online cause people die to the dumbest poo poo and I just want the fight to be over.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Fungah! posted:

konchu are a free stamdrain so they're OK by me

The amount of times I've stolen orange essence from a konchu on monsters with a hard to hit orange zone (looking at your mono/diablos :argh:) makes them a-ok by me.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Just started monster hunter freedom unite. I've finished all the training quests and have a few questions.

What should I spend my money on?

What item is best for me? I know hammer greatsword longsword are the top 3 picks I see online, but I'm playing on a keyboard and mouse. This games hit detection is tough, I have trouble consuming items quickly in battle, and the need to also rotate the camera is another thing slowing me down. I need a "slow and steady" playstyle. Would the lance be best? Because of its high block? Or is the hammer and greatsword to good to pass up?

Anything I should know as a newbie?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I'm playing on a keyboard and mouse.

:stare:

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

WASD movement, E for sprint, numberpad 4,8,6,2 for camera, with 1 as Square, 3 as Triangle, 5 as X, and 7 as O. Haha.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That sounds awful.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Well, the camera is still digital even in 4U, so at least that part isn't really worse...

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Made the Obituary armor to try out my new bassarios guitar and jumped into online HR hunts to start learning how to horn hunt. Third hunt, host asks if we wanna try something hard and I join without looking.

It's Akantor. My first Akantor ever on my third hunting horn sortie.

:v:

I was the only one who didn't cart but I also spent half the fight running away and playing sick riffs from a safe distance.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

All the books they keep talking about throughout the game? There's a whole section in your pause menu called Hunter's Notes that has every single monster, their name, and a little picture of what they look like made exactly for this kind of question. In the game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Touchfuzzy posted:

All the books they keep talking about throughout the game? There's a whole section in your pause menu called Hunter's Notes that has every single monster, their name, and a little picture of what they look like made exactly for this kind of question. In the game.

Ok

I still wish it would pop their name up in the UI when I'm killing them, would just help someone new learn all the complicated names to all these things :shrug:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sard posted:

Made the Obituary armor to try out my new bassarios guitar and jumped into online HR hunts to start learning how to horn hunt. Third hunt, host asks if we wanna try something hard and I join without looking.

It's Akantor. My first Akantor ever on my third hunting horn sortie.

:v:

I was the only one who didn't cart but I also spent half the fight running away and playing sick riffs from a safe distance.

Akantor's actually not too bad aside from the defense debuff, which is loving terrifying. bring mightseeds and play safe and you're fine

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I think you mean adamant seeds :ssh:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

AndroidHub posted:

I think you mean adamant seeds :ssh:

Which go into might pills

he was 50/50 it's cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

whoops yeah, my bad

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Ok

I still wish it would pop their name up in the UI when I'm killing them, would just help someone new learn all the complicated names to all these things :shrug:

I don't want to dogpile but the quest or expedition info almost always shows a little icon of the monster and its name, on the first page of the info that you literally have to view when you accept the quest. If you look deeper you'll see its name mentioned a few more times as well as an objective like "Hunt a great jaggi".

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
what kind of people do event quests but don't send guild cards. How do they expect to get the bronze tickets and stuff

Err or maybe I misunderstand something

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 6, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rascyc posted:

what kind of people do event quests but don't send guild cards. How do they expect to get the bronze tickets and stuff

people think guild cards are way more important than they actually are. they think it's like a friend request or something instead of something you should just do when you enter a room

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Rascyc posted:

Err or maybe I misunderstand something

Please elaborate, how do you send a guild card and why?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

Please elaborate, how do you send a guild card and why?

hit the guild cards section in your start menu between quests and you'll see the option to send it. always send it when you enter a new room, that's how you get more hunters for hire

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Fungah! posted:

hit the guild cards section in your start menu between quests and you'll see the option to send it. always send it when you enter a new room, that's how you get more hunters for hire

You also build unity points if you play with people who have your guild card and you have theirs. Unity points give you progressively better VE tickets (until you hit max rarity, then it loops around again), which you trade in to the veggie elder for rare mats.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Oh ok bronze/silver/etc tickets come from the event quests and the VE metal tickets come from Unity, yeah.

But yeah people are stingy with guild cards wtf

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i have had exactly 2 pubbies send cards. i sent mine to another one and he friended me instead -___-

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Rascyc posted:

Oh ok bronze/silver/etc tickets come from the event quests and the VE metal tickets come from Unity, yeah.

But yeah people are stingy with guild cards wtf

I'm sure it will come with time. 3 months into 3U, I had TONS of guild cards.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pnumoman posted:

You also build unity points if you play with people who have your guild card and you have theirs. Unity points give you progressively better VE tickets (until you hit max rarity, then it loops around again), which you trade in to the veggie elder for rare mats.

Does it get progressively better, or does it skip back and forth a bit? I got a bronze, then silver, then bronze again. I now have two of each. Will I get a gold next, or is there something limiting how high a value ticket I can get? HR maybe?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Roland Jones posted:

Does it get progressively better, or does it skip back and forth a bit? I got a bronze, then silver, then bronze again. I now have two of each. Will I get a gold next, or is there something limiting how high a value ticket I can get? HR maybe?

It's tied to the # of unique quests you do. 40 for bronze, 100 for silver, 180 for gold, a whopping 370 for cosmic.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Roland Jones posted:

It gets progressively better, but it's on a person to person basis. So you got bronze and silver for one person, and bronze for a second person. Play with that first person again, and you'll eventually get gold, etc, etc.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Really annoyed at how difficult multiplayer is to get on a hunt with. 99% of the time, they're already going, so you're just standing around waiting and praying they don't immediately leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dont join rooms when they're already on a quest then. you can see that info before you join

• Locked thread