Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Awesome! posted:

i do not regret buying a vita

If you can rank your love for anime on a scale from 1 to 10 and fall into the 8.5 or higher range you will love the Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I did enjoy Persona 3 and 4, but if the underlying gameplay isn't there, I'll give it a pass. Is the story at least good? I'd probably enjoy it if writing was solid.

The story is somewhere between OK and good. It really picks up in the last quarter or so. The writing is quite similar to Persona 3 and 4, except many characters' personalities are really piled on too thick -- Teddie takes his few sexual innuendo moments from Persona 4 and turns into a giant pervert for the entire game, Kanji is frequently called out (and calling himself out) for being in the closet or effeminate or whatever he's supposed to be, Chie cares way more about meat and way less about kung fu, Mitsuru is tsundere as a motherfucker like never before, and literally everybody (even Ken) picks on Junpei for being an idiot, to the point where he basically sounds like he's going to kill himself unless you bring him in your party. It's almost as if the writers were like, OK, there may be people playing this who haven't played Persona 3 and/or 4, so let's really flesh these characters out way too much.

I liked the gameplay, but didn't like the constant in-out-in-out with the stylus. This will probably be exponentially more frustrating on a New 3DS, where taking the stylus out and putting it back in is way more involved than it needs to be. I think by a certain point, I just started bracing the stylus between two free fingers while playing -- you use it a LOT. Get one of the Etrian Odyssey 4 demos and see if you can get into the style, because Persona Q plays just like it. However, if you like the Persona series, you'll probably like it no matter what. I put about 80 hours into Persona Q (without even doing a lot of the side quests) and it had me hooked to the end, which I rarely get out of a game.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 6, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Louisgod posted:

If you can rank your love for anime on a scale from 1 to 10 and fall into the 8.5 or higher range you will love the Vita.

the vita breeds new anime blood by itself. check out the last couple pages in the thread.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
don't buy bravely default its bad

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Louisgod posted:

I kinda want a vita to play TxK because Space Giraffe is in my top ten. I don't like animes :(

Although I play Pokemon Shuffle every day whenever it lets me

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TxK is supposedly getting a PC port soon.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

A Big... Dog posted:

I don't like animes :(
you just said everyone should buy smt4 on the last page

this anime deflection sickness is a real thing and the cure is a vita

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

don't buy bravely default its bad

It's good, actually

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Saoshyant posted:

TxK is supposedly getting a PC port soon.

I'm a Mac user AKA 90s Myst Player

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Awesome! posted:

you just said everyone should buy smt4 on the last page

it isn't anime if you turn the volume down

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
As a lifelong member of The 2DS Master Race, I picked up a cheap NN3DS, and I'm really torn on whether to System Transfer Shin Megami Tensei 4 to the new console before I play it. Does the 3D add anything to a game that I'll probably just play around the house, or on long commutes?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Saagonsa posted:

It's good, actually

For every person that says it's good (ie you), 4 more come out and say it's bad.

It's bad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A Big... Dog posted:

it isn't anime if you turn the volume down

Silent anime is still anime.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bravely Default is a third of a good game stretched over the remaining two-thirds.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Louisgod posted:

For every person that says it's good (ie you), 4 more come out and say it's bad.

It's bad.

Saagonsa posted:

It's good, actually

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Louisgod posted:

It's bad.

No I'm going to jump in and say it's good.

It has it's flaws (oh heavens, yes), but overall it's good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Bravely Default is a third of a good game stretched over the remaining two-thirds.

now that's just dumb

the good part lasts like 40 hours and the dumb part people don't like takes like 5-10. it still shouldnt be there but it's nothing near a majority

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Policenaut posted:

You have it backwards.

It's two-thirds of a good game repeated over the remaining third.

And thankfully the game lets you turn off random encounters, which saves a ton of time on that last third.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Louisgod posted:

It's bad.

it's good

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
argghh, reversal of fortune. The anime brigade has done me in again.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

anime is bad apart from smt4 with the volume all the way down

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
What are the good exclusives on the Vita?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Persona 4 Golden and some other animes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A Big... Dog posted:

I'm a Mac user AKA 90s Myst Player

Well, 1) dual booting is an option, 2) thanks to Steam nearly every indie game now makes a Mac and Linux version along with Windows, so it's possible running TxK natively in OS X will be a thing

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If you're fine with playing 2/3s of a game, go ahead and get Bravely Default. Just know that a section of the game is a huge waste of time and one of the worst examples of padding.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Monkey Fracas posted:

gravity rush, p4g, tearaway (getting ps4 version), monster hunter knockoffs, wipeout, killzone mercs... thats off my head i can update later when i get home if you want

e: oh, ys memories

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 6, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
If you're into semi-Phoenix Wright gameplay, perhaps Danganronpa 1 and 2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

On to the next part of the New 3DS cycle: let's talk about screwing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Policenaut posted:

On to the next part of the New 3DS cycle: let's talk about screwing.

https://twitter.com/hodapp/status/573932799796776961

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

not exactly an exclusive, but muramasa rebirth, the swordplay is real satisfying and it's a solid game aside from a couple of badly designed bosses

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
Bravely Default is good until it's bad.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Immer posted:

Yep. Just pretend it ends at that one point (don't worry about knowing which point. You'll know when it happens). Then pretend the rest is post game and wander off to something else when you get bored of it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Good Citizen posted:

Yep. Just pretend it ends at that one point (don't worry about knowing which point. You'll know when it happens). Then pretend the rest is post game and wander off to something else when you get bored of it.

Exactly. Again, the part people disagree about is like 5% of the game, if even that. The guy that asked about SMT4 and Bravely Default earlier should still give it a shot.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Bravely Default is best played by getting the "bad" ending and forgoing the reused assets all together.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
No, the best fights of Bravely Default are all at the end of the game. Just have to go through some crap first.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How are Chibi-Robo and Mario & DK: Minis on the Move? I'm looking to spend my CN coins.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 7, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

The final boss and all the optional fights in the last chapter are really good

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Looper posted:

The final boss and all the optional fights in the last chapter are really good

The one against the summoners was loving insane, and the first time in a long time I've had to look up a boss fight strategy guide. That combo was literally unbeatable unless you figured out how to break the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Immer posted:

It wraps around to good again if you power through