Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, the whole thing is a pretty hilarious ":aaa: You mean GIRLS have money too?" moment for the Big Two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Marvel is not some saintly figure by any means, but they've been pouring money and effort into getting creators, characters and titles alone these lines for the past few years; a time period in which a senior DC figure effectively told a female fan to gently caress off when she raised the question of female representation at a convention and another had a minor breakdown when asked about their failure with regards to their commitment on hiring female creators.

To suggest that Marvel is aping DC's succes is hilariously narrow-minded.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dan Didio posted:

Marvel is not some saintly figure by any means, but they've been pouring money and effort into getting creators, characters and titles alone these lines for the past few years; a time period in which a senior DC figure effectively told a female fan to gently caress off when she raised the question of female representation at a convention and another had a minor breakdown when asked about their failure with regards to their commitment on hiring female creators.

nice username/post combo.

I think street level heroics are my favorite kind. I mean world ending destruction must be really exhausting after a few go-rounds.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

You guys sure are mad about a throwaway line.

Do you not remember the goon outrage of the use of doge in Ms marvel?

EDIT: Yes, everyone does because there is a whole nother page.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As I recall, it was the real Didio that did the hilariously dumb "ARE there any women creators?" response to someone asking why Nicola Scott wasn't doing a book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

Do you not remember the goon outrage of the use of doge in Ms marvel?

Very claws/ So amaze.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Very claws/ So amaze.

OK, can someone link me to the original meme, because I've seen it referenced in a number of places and I have no idea what it's about?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

wait, what

Start here and the next two pages are like a breakdown where discussion shifts from talking about comics into an eventual debate about memes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

OK, can someone link me to the original meme, because I've seen it referenced in a number of places and I have no idea what it's about?

http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/92361059347/comics-such-athletic-very-claws-so-amaze

The bottom left panel got posted. People were upset at a teenage girl using internet shorthand instead of proper grammar.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No, I got that. I literally didn't know what the original meme was about.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gaz-L posted:

No, I got that. I literally didn't know what the original meme was about.
It's a Shiba dog that's spelled like Doge and it has the same style of text. It became a meme, people made a thousand variations on it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yowza

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dan Didio posted:

DC are aping Marvel's revamping with Marvel Now, which isn't anything to do with this conversation. Spider-Woman is a bad writer thinking they can just throw a leather jacket and motorbike on a character because that's what worked for someone else. This book doesn't have the quality to back it up.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You are completely ignoring the wider context and history of everything you're talking about to make a shallow point. DC hasn't just copied Marvel NOW and the titles and movement were discussing don't stem solely from that branding.

Dragging this down to 'oh they both have bikes' is hopeless analysis. If that and the jacket are all you see, then I don't really think you fully understand the situation.

And if that's the level were talking here, the new Batgirl doesn't really have the quality to back it up either.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I found Spider-Woman 5 much more enjoyable than Batgirl. Batgirls new costume is rad, but it's still a terrible book that's bad in the same way most Nu52 books are bad. I dropped it after two issues.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can't speak for Batgirl because I've not read it as it doesn't interest me, but Spider-Woman is good so far and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo, are we doing that opinion thing in this thread too?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Episode 4 of the new Tina Fey Netflix show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt features an accidental parody of/tribute to Spider-Verse, it's pretty amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GraPar posted:

Episode 4 of the new Tina Fey Netflix show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt features an accidental parody of/tribute to Spider-Verse, it's pretty amazing.

There's a plot about the failed Spider-Man musical that's pretty well known but I don't remember anything related to Spider-Verse in it.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Deadpool posted:

There's a plot about the failed Spider-Man musical that's pretty well known but I don't remember anything related to Spider-Verse in it.

Uh, I was exaggerating a bit, but the plot of the musical in the show is specifically about there being too many Spider-Men around - thread favourite Dan Slott himself did comment on the similarity.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Deadpool posted:

There's a lyric something along the lines of:

"We're 50 Spider-men
with a trillion spider-eyes
We're livin' like spiders,
but they're picking us off like--
flies"

I think the joke as written was about the wild turnaround in maimed and wounded Spider-actors but the whole bit worked weirdly well as a Spider-verse thing too, even if only accidentally.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh yeah, I took that as a joke about how the injuries were piling up. But I guess you could see it that way as well.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Spider Gwen was cool. Was cool seeing Jean DeWolffe again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Concussion-hallucination Spider-Ham was not expected. And the 'concussed teenager at a bar' panel was a bit darker than I'd expected the comic to go. (Gwen's supposed to be like 19, right?)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interview with Slott about Spiderverse

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dan Slott wanted to make Gwen Stacy's costume a version of her clothes the night that she died. With a trenchcoat. How does he keep getting work.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Dan Slott posted:

Believe it or not, Slott's first reaction to Robbi Rodriguez's Spider-Gwen design was to reject it

Haha

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the other hand, I get why he kiboshed the Spider-Punk design for UK. It's neat idea, but Spider-UK really needs the Captain Britain design for the concept to play. (Says the guy who only read the Spider-Gwen issue of Edge of Spider-Verse and Spider-Woman)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Speaking of Spider-Punk, I really wish HE'd gotten an ongoing. :(

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

hiddenriverninja posted:

Dan Slott wanted to make Gwen Stacy's costume a version of her clothes the night that she died. With a trenchcoat. How does he keep getting work.

Because he comes up with characters like Spider-Gwen.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

What would we do without the creative tour de force that came up with gems like, 'what if someone else got bitten by a spider'.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I used to be on board with the idea of Slott becoming an editor so he could hand out his ideas and let people do them right but man, that bit on the costume is terrible, if he became editor he'd just enforce his bad executions.

Spider-books this week were great, at least.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Amazing Spider-Man Special was really good. I'd never heard of the writer before but he did a good job and Spider-Man teaming up with the new Inhumans was a fun time. Can't wait for the next part of the crossover.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Spider Gwen sucked and I cannot see why people are slobbering over it. None of the characters were interesting and the dialogue was far more forced than the usual Spider-Man stuff. The only cool part was her costume. Worst comic I've read in a long time. I'm glad I had Ms. Marvel to read afterwards because that was a competent book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dan Didio posted:

What would we do without the creative tour de force that came up with gems like, 'what if someone else got bitten by a spider'.

Flash Thompson as Venom. Superior Spider-Man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Slott wrote a decent intro story to Flash as Venom but I doubt a Slott run would've been memorable. Remender though had a loving amazing Venom run. Honestly wish Remender or Bunn would've killed him off though because he is doing jack poo poo in Guardians.

Spock was pretty great under every other writer besides Slott.

Basically, have other people write Slott's creations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dan Didio posted:

Hell, that wasn't even his idea, What If? did it back in 1978. It feels like he took that and Emma Stone being popular as Gwen and smushed the two together.

Warning: :arghfist::spidey:posting below.
So, Ron Frenz posted a sketch of the cover for the MC2 Secret Wars book with Mayday using her classic costume...

...but that's only for the cover. Apparently it was Nick Lowe's call, since he stated it makes her 'instantly recognisable'. So why'd he let Slott stick her in her dad's costume, then?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can't give Slott too much credit for Flash as Venom. I mean they'd just come off a multi-year arc with Mac Gargin in the suit. Going back to Eddie would have been predictable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Flash as Venom could have been loving horrible, it's not an idea that's inherently good. It was made good by a talented writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Flash as Venom could have been loving horrible, it's not an idea that's inherently good. It was made good by a talented writer.

By talented writer you forget to mention that it wasn't Dan Slott.

Look at Silk. Silk has been terrible in all her Slott written appearances but her first issue was absolutely fantastic.

• Locked thread