Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

paco650 posted:

Literally nothing she does is interesting, and in the grand scheme of things, enables far worse things to happen all around her and especially to Robb, a loving 16-year-old boy on the warpath.

Mhmmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Maarak posted:

Mhmmm...

No really. Every chapter after Bran falls is hardcore moping and doing nothing about it except let Jaime go and fail to bring her idiot son to heel. Which seems to be a theme in this book.

Comprehensive list of things your teenage son should rule:
his bedroom
his hair
the skatepark

Not:
a nation torn apart by politics and intrigue
a grieving household that holds immense political clout
a rebellion whose lynchpin relies on him NOT being a horny teen

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

paco650 posted:

So when exactly did Stannis cross the line from "contender for the throne" to "vessel for Melisandre's weird ambitions"? Because burning your own daughter alive has to be the very far end of where you could draw that line.

He never did cross that line. Melisandre will.

Melisandre is notorious for misinterpreting her flame visions. I think she will decide that Azor Ahai is not Stannis, but Jon or someone else, and she will take Shireen's life of her own volition. After all, Stannis is gone, while Melisandre is left alone at the wall with Shireen and Selyse. Maybe Melisandre will think she needs some king's blood to help save a recently stabbed Jon.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

paco650 posted:

No really. Every chapter after Bran falls is hardcore moping and doing nothing about it except let Jaime go and fail to bring her idiot son to heel. Which seems to be a theme in this book.

Comprehensive list of things your teenage son should rule:
his bedroom
his hair
the skatepark

Not:
a nation torn apart by politics and intrigue
a grieving household that holds immense political clout
a rebellion whose lynchpin relies on him NOT being a horny teen

I wasn't clear. You are listing the interesting actions she does take, but then not counting them for some reason. I am perplexed.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

He never did cross that line. Melisandre will.

Melisandre is notorious for misinterpreting her flame visions. I think she will decide that Azor Ahai is not Stannis, but Jon or someone else, and she will take Shireen's life of her own volition. After all, Stannis is gone, while Melisandre is left alone at the wall with Shireen and Selyse. Maybe Melisandre will think she needs some king's blood to help save a recently stabbed Jon.

Not to mention Melisandre serves her order, what Stannis wants and what Melisandre will do are not necessarily one in the same. Although the theory seems to be based on reddit spoilers Jon's going to get rez'd by the white walkers he could just as easily get some protection as he bleeds out from the wildlings and those loyal to him and Mel receives some sign and decides to give him a fiery kiss or he gets rez'd by the white walkers and she does some spell / blood magic using shireen as a sacrifice to make him some fire and ice death dealing hybrid.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cat swans into Renlys camp and starts dropping owns and the best "winter is coming" of the entire series. Cat is great.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Maarak posted:

I wasn't clear. You are listing the interesting actions she does take, but then not counting them for some reason. I am perplexed.

It might just be the singular tone of her chapters that makes everything she does so boring and frustrating for me to read. Like every time Robb does a thing, she almost reacts, stops herself, thinks about how "my son is truly a king, but is still half a boy" :ohdear:, says something noncommittal and then mopes about her dwindling family for 6-10 pages. Every Time.

It kind of parallels the frustration of watching Robb win but then gently caress up over and over, but at least things are happening in Robb's world.

BlindSite posted:

Not to mention Melisandre serves her order, what Stannis wants and what Melisandre will do are not necessarily one in the same. Although the theory seems to be based on reddit spoilers Jon's going to get rez'd by the white walkers he could just as easily get some protection as he bleeds out from the wildlings and those loyal to him and Mel receives some sign and decides to give him a fiery kiss or he gets rez'd by the white walkers and she does some spell / blood magic using shireen as a sacrifice to make him some fire and ice death dealing hybrid.

I wish the Children would bring Jon back Coldhands-style and he brings the fight to the Grand Ice Wizard that Mr. Freeze-d that baby in the show. That was a good ending, man.

im cute fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 6, 2015

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

paco650 posted:

It might just be the singular tone of her chapters that makes everything she does so boring and frustrating for me to read. Like every time Robb does a thing, she almost reacts, stops herself, thinks about how "my son is truly a king, but is still half a boy" :ohdear:, says something noncommittal and then mopes about her dwindling family for 6-10 pages. Every Time.

It kind of parallels the frustration of watching Robb win but then gently caress up over and over, but at least things are happening in Robb's world.

I wish the Children would bring Jon back Coldhands-style and he brings the fight to the Grand Ice Wizard that Mr. Freeze-d that baby in the show. That was a good ending, man.

Cat's chapters are the most annoying in the whole book and I was kind of relieved when someone cut her throat out.

I mean I was gutted and wept like a little baby in the fetal position for an hour but on re-reads it's punishing getting through her hand wringing over the bullshit she caused. If she wasn't so easily mis-lead and did as she was told by her lord the mess wouldn't have been half as bad as it was.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

webmeister posted:

I still can't believe so many people didn't get that a guy who spends his entire life walking in and out of the ocean had the nickname "damp hair"

To be fair to them (and me, I'm of the drat Fair-crowd), it's a phenomenally awkward name. Especially when they stress that he is not any old damphair, he is THE Damphair, as if that's supposed to mean anything to anyone. Like, I can think of a thousand more badass nicknames you could give your Viking sea-priest and none of them refer to the state of his hair.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

paco650 posted:

enables far worse things to happen all around her

Releasing Jaime does kinda set him on the path to redemption (or, at the very least, hobble him so he'll never take up the sword again). Its kinda a big "what if" had he been freed at the Red Wedding instead and returned to King's Landing intact.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I doubt the Red Wedding would had happened if Jamie has still been a prisoner.

"Our king, his mother and a ton of our lords and heirs are dead? Betrayed by an ally after being given guest rights? Welp we'll just have to take it out on the kingslayer". And the only part of Jamie the lannister a see again is his head.

Tywin would not do anything that would possibly lead to harm coming to Jamie.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Cat swans into Renlys camp and starts dropping owns and the best "winter is coming" of the entire series. Cat is great.

Yeah whenever someone says there aren't any good Cat chapters my mind just goes straight to Renly's camp; she was great there.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Not to mention if Jaime isn't released he never treats with Roose privately. I have to imagine that this meeting was in some way a catalyst for the betrayal.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I got banned from this very sub-forum by Aatrek for speaking ill of Cat, in particular show-Cat.

Her decisions are bad, but justifiable in the books.
In the show, she's nto even heard that her youngest sons are "dead", so there's no justification for her actions.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
She noticed how blood thirsty Karstark was getting and when Jaime kills his 2nd son after escaping, Cat thinks about what will happen to her daughters if Karstark kills Jaime in response. I think this was added in the show to give Cat her reasons.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was anyone else unsymapthetic to the Stark cause from the start?

Yeah, they were all mostly nice and the Lannisters were all kind of dicks, but politically, they ruined the Kingdoms. Joff as a puppet of Tywin (and we all know that Cersei alone would object to removing him for Tommen if he proved unable to be tamed) would've resulted in a decent situation for the whole realm. The Lannisters would be in charge but, hey, they came to power without starting any wars (they merely prosecute them with ruthless efficiency- and really, the only difference between Stark plunderers and Lannister plunderers is that the Starks pretend it won't happen, while Lannister directs it for strategic gain.) and they are one of the few families ready to handle the responsibility. They're rich and, despite the Wonder Twins, generally competent. Tywin, Kevan, etc.

Instead, we have dumbass Ned choosing conflict over stability in the name of "honour", dumbass Catelyn starting a war on false pretenses, and dumbass Robb escalating rather than backing down.

I was rooting for Robb to go down because he was a lovely king with no legitimate grounds to be fighting.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

paco650 posted:

Which is all fairly realistic for a woman who's husband just got executed, and is watching her 15-16 year old son be declared King and is deathly terrified of losing any more family to this war that's already consumed 3 to 4 of her kids and spouse.

That said Catelyn is a pretty savvy political operator (Yes, kidnapping Tyrion did lead to the Lannister invasion, BUT had Robert lived and Ned not been executed, Tywin more than likely would've been hosed. Joffrey coming to power and Eddard being executed are really the only reasons a big coalition of Westeros wasn't put together to stomp the Westermen..

quote:

Yeah, they were all mostly nice and the Lannisters were all kind of dicks, but politically, they ruined the Kingdoms. Joff as a puppet of Tywin (and we all know that Cersei alone would object to removing him for Tommen if he proved unable to be tamed) would've resulted in a decent situation for the whole realm. The Lannisters would be in charge but, hey, they came to power without starting any wars (they merely prosecute them with ruthless efficiency- and really, the only difference between Stark plunderers and Lannister plunderers is that the Starks pretend it won't happen, while Lannister directs it for strategic gain.) and they are one of the few families ready to handle the responsibility. They're rich and, despite the Wonder Twins, generally competent. Tywin, Kevan, etc.

This assumes that Tywin could control Joffrey, which is not a guarantee. Joffrey has shown in the past the ability conceal some of his worse habits in front of disapproving eyes. And Tywin was unable to control Aerys, so what happens when Tywin is old and grey and Joffrey is a strapping young king in his late 20s to early 30s? There's also the wrinkle of what happens if Tywin dies? Tyrion doesn't have the clout to rule as Hand of the King, he only managed what he did because his father backed him.

quote:

Instead, we have dumbass Ned choosing conflict over stability in the name of "honour", dumbass Catelyn starting a war on false pretenses, and dumbass Robb escalating rather than backing down.

If anyone overreacted, it was the Lannisters. The proper response to a kidnapping would most likely be a petition to the King, not a full-scale invasion and siege of one of the major castles of Westeros, and given that Jaime goes ahead and assaults Eddard in the streets of King's Landing, the Lannisters are still 2-1 on overreacting.

Furthermore, Robb and his bannermen's only choice after the Battle of Riverrun and the Battle of the Green Fork was between continuing to fight, or going to King's Landing to "pay homage" to King Joffrey, and living the rest of their lives as prisoners, if not outright murdered. Had Littlefinger not been a sadistic rear end in a top hat and convinced Joffrey to have Eddard's head removed from his body, Tywin and Robb more than likely would have worked out a trade and a peace. After Eddard gets the axe, the amount of crimes against the Starks by the Lannisters is too much to allow for a peace.

Seriously, why does no oe blame the real individuals responsible for the War of the Five Kings; Cersei, Littlefinger, and Varys all have their hands drenched in blood of innocents at this point, and yet it's always "Eddard and Catelyn were dumb and caused a war".

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 6, 2015

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
The Starks didn't really have a "cause ", most of their actions are reactionary. There was going to be chaos in the realm one way or another, Littlefinger made sure of that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In the great scheme of things the Lannisters made self-serving, ineffectual rulers at best, tyrants at worst. Even if you only count the competent, sane ones.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
HBO continues its attempts to corner the urban market by planning the release of the second volume of Catch the Throne.

Volume one was wonderful.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Which is all fairly realistic for a woman who's husband just got executed, and is watching her 15-16 year old son be declared King and is deathly terrified of losing any more family to this war that's already consumed 3 to 4 of her kids and spouse.

That said Catelyn is a pretty savvy political operator (Yes, kidnapping Tyrion did lead to the Lannister invasion, BUT had Robert lived and Ned not been executed, Tywin more than likely would've been hosed. Joffrey coming to power and Eddard being executed are really the only reasons a big coalition of Westeros wasn't put together to stomp the Westermen..

This assumes that Tywin could control Joffrey, which is not a guarantee. Joffrey has shown in the past the ability conceal some of his worse habits in front of disapproving eyes. And Tywin was unable to control Aerys, so what happens when Tywin is old and grey and Joffrey is a strapping young king in his late 20s to early 30s? There's also the wrinkle of what happens if Tywin dies? Tyrion doesn't have the clout to rule as Hand of the King, he only managed what he did because his father backed him.

If anyone overreacted, it was the Lannisters. The proper response to a kidnapping would most likely be a petition to the King, not a full-scale invasion and siege of one of the major castles of Westeros, and given that Jaime goes ahead and assaults Eddard in the streets of King's Landing, the Lannisters are still 2-1 on overreacting.

Furthermore, Robb and his bannermen's only choice after the Battle of Riverrun and the Battle of the Green Fork was between continuing to fight, or going to King's Landing to "pay homage" to King Joffrey, and living the rest of their lives as prisoners, if not outright murdered. Had Littlefinger not been a sadistic rear end in a top hat and convinced Joffrey to have Eddard's head removed from his body, Tywin and Robb more than likely would have worked out a trade and a peace. After Eddard gets the axe, the amount of crimes against the Starks by the Lannisters is too much to allow for a peace.

Seriously, why does no oe blame the real individuals responsible for the War of the Five Kings; Cersei, Littlefinger, and Varys all have their hands drenched in blood of innocents at this point, and yet it's always "Eddard and Catelyn were dumb and caused a war".

Besides all this, Robb in particular had to accept the Kingship and to continue fighting because if he hadn't it would've turned many of his bannermen against him and the Lannisters were unwilling to negotiate fairly, with even Tyrion sending assassins to murder Tully men and free Jaime and hoping the negotiations will distract Robb so he can be crushed by Stafford Lannister. It seems like people blame the Starks because they're under the misapprehension that medieval-style politics is all Machiavellian scheming when in actuality concepts like justice, honor, duty, and loyalty are some of the only things keeping the peace at all in a system like that.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Wait, what is this? I thought Joffrey was acting on his own (shithead) accord on that one. I thought it was pretty well established that everyone wanted Ned to take the black and Joffrey pulled a last minute fast one to show his dominance as king.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

Wait, what is this? I thought Joffrey was acting on his own (shithead) accord on that one. I thought it was pretty well established that everyone wanted Ned to take the black and Joffrey pulled a last minute fast one to show his dominance as king.

Joffrey's inherent shitheadness certainly comes into it, but Littlefinger also gives him a push in that direction. I can't remember where it's stated, but at the time Varys is trying to keep the realm together while Littlefinger wants the opposite.

Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

He's talking about the books. In the show it was all Joffrey, or at least there has been no implication that anyone else gave him the idea.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Anti-Hero posted:

It's implied that Littlefinger had a role in encouraging Joffrey's thinking on this one.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The speed with which Janos Slynt and Ilyn Payne react to Joffrey's orders suggest it was preplanned. Ned is thrown down immediately and Ilyn Payne is present and ready to act despite Ned's confession taking place in a site that is holy and supposed to be sacred.

Littlefinger is the only one on the royal dias who does not react in shock to Joffrey's command.

Varys later implies that the true blame for Ned's death is someone other than Ilyn, who swung the sword, and Joffrey, who gave the order. The "even a small man can cast a large shadow" speech is not a reference to Tyrion, it is about Littlefinger.

Littlefinger has previously manipulated people into doing what he wants without explicitly telling them to. According to Varys, it was Littlefinger who implanted the idea of incest in Stannis' mind and kickstarted his investigation.

Littlefinger is the one who really benefits from Ned's death, and he obviously has a bone to pick with the Starks.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

In It For The Tank posted:

HBO continues its attempts to corner the urban market by planning the release of the second volume of Catch the Throne.

Volume one was wonderful.

Really disappointed with the Talib Kweli song. Meh beat, terrible chorus. I expected better from you Talib, especially if you're going to focus on the one true King of Westeros. :colbert:

Edit:

First three episode titles revealed:

501: The Wars to Come
502: The House of Black and White
503: High Sparrow

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

BlindSite posted:

For best results he get's brought back by Mel, then opens the gate for the others and the army of the dead because gently caress everyone. His family was wiped out by the realm, and he was stabbed to death by the watch. He owes no one anything.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I found the revelation that Littlefinger was behind everything to be ridiculously unsatisfying and I'm entirely sick of his character.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Ballz posted:

Not wasting any time getting to the plot rolling. I'm excited about the House of Black and White

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

lifts cats over head posted:

Not to mention if Jaime isn't released he never treats with Roose privately. I have to imagine that this meeting was in some way a catalyst for the betrayal.

If I remember correctly there have already been subtle hints that Roose was planning to betray the Starks by this point. Basically every time military action carried out by Roose is described it happens to be him bleeding the forces of the Stark-loyal bannermen while conserving his own strength, and that of the Freys. I think just before his conversation with Jaime we learn how Roose got a big part of Stark/Glover/Umber soldiers butchered by the Mountain when they were trying to cross a river, which in hindsight turned out to be a huge red flag.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Littlefinger is the one who really benefits from Ned's death, and he obviously has a bone to pick with the Starks.

And specifically with Ned.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Was Littlefinger at court already when Aerys burned Ned's dad and made Brandon strangle himself? That would mirror Littlefinger whispering in Joffrey's ear to behead Ned beautifully, as his grudge against Bran must have been way bigger than his grudge against Ned.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Grendels Dad posted:

Was Littlefinger at court already when Aerys burned Ned's dad and made Brandon strangle himself? That would mirror Littlefinger whispering in Joffrey's ear to behead Ned beautifully, as his grudge against Bran must have been way bigger than his grudge against Ned.

Littlefinger was brought in with Jon Arryn. It was Varys and Pycelle who were whispering poison into Aerys' ears.

Blind Marvin posted:

He's talking about the books. In the show it was all Joffrey, or at least there has been no implication that anyone else gave him the idea.

ShowFinger feeds Roz to Joffrey in a similar way.

The "even a small man can cast a large shadow" speech is not a reference to Tyrion, it is about Littlefinger.

I wrote this post a few days ago on a different forum:

quote:

The riddle is an allusion to how Ned Stark died. The king is Joffrey, the priest is the High Septon, rich man is Baelish and the sellsword is Ser Ilyn Payne.

The answer to a riddle is never the most straightforward solution so Joffrey is out. The High Septon was speaking out against the execution on the sept after Joffrey made his decision. And Littlefinger had the most to gain as well as 'a certain influence with Joffrey' (paraphrasing GRRM's words) and also has the Goldcloaks in his pocket. All he had to do was plant ideas in Joffrey's head about needing to present himself as a strong ruler like his father and subtly question his masculinity. Baelish has the most to gain from Ned's death, by sewing chaos, getting revenge and allowing him to influence Catelyn/Sansa. Someone points out that Joffrey's 'spontaneous' decision to show strength must have been premeditated since Payne and Slynt were ready for what was to come.

Tyrion doesn't see this and takes the riddle at face-value, as a general question about power. One of the features of Varys is that he's so much smarter and more informed than the other characters that he enjoys lording over them with insults and references that they're too self-absorbed to pick up. He's operating on another level. There is also the fact someone pointed out by someone else that Varys never seems to outright lie, instead he hides the truth behind omissions and falsehoods, carefully phrasing his words to mislead whoever he's talking to.

Tyrion in his arrogance thinks Varys is flattering him by saying 'even a small man can cast a large shadow' but Varys is actually covertly mocking him because he anticipates how Tyrion will misunderstand him. The 'small man' is Littlefinger (short in the books and, of course, Little).

EDIT: Just checked and it's even more clear than I remember. Just a bit after he says the riddle:
'Some say knowledge is power. Some tell us that all power comes from the gods. Others say it derives from law. Yet that day on the steps of Baelor's Sept, our godly High Septon and the lawful Queen Regent and your ever-so-knowledgeable servant were as powerless as any cobbler or cooper in the crowd. Who truly killed Eddard Stark, do you think? Joffrey, who gave the command? Ser Ilyn Payne, who swung the sword? Or ... another?'

The rich man is the only one left - Varys' nemesis. He basically says it outright.

According to Varys, it was Littlefinger who implanted the idea of incest in Stannis' mind and kickstarted his investigation.

Really? I assumed he came up with it independently as he was sitting in King's Landing grinding his teeth about Storm's End and what he deserved. He picked up something small that would be dismissed as the ramblings of an ambitious uncle (why he needed Arryn to lend him legitimacy) and it happened to be correct.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 7, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ballz posted:

First three episode titles revealed:

And 504 is The Sons of the Harpy.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

Really? I assumed he came up with it independently as he was sitting in King's Landing grinding his teeth about Storm's End and what he deserved. He picked up something small that would be dismissed as the ramblings of an ambitious uncle (why he needed Arryn to lend him legitimacy) and it happened to be correct.

Yes. Here's the exchange in ACOK:

quote:

Tyrion adjusted the heavy cloak and paced restlessly. “You missed a lively council. Stannis has crowned himself, it seems.”
“I know.”
“He accuses my brother and sister of incest. I wonder how he came by that suspicion.”
“Perhaps he read a book and looked at the color of a bastard’s hair, as Ned Stark did, and Jon Arryn before him. Or perhaps someone whispered it in his ear.” The eunuch’s laugh was not his usual giggle, but deeper and more throaty.
“Someone like you, perchance?”
“Am I suspected? It was not me.”
“If it had been, would you admit it?”
“No. But why should I betray a secret I have kept so long? It is one thing to deceive a king, and quite another to hide from the cricket in the rushes and the little bird in the chimney. Besides, the bastards were there for all to see.”

“If you were not this whisperer, who was?”
“Some traitor, doubtless.” Varys tightened the cinch.
“Littlefinger?”
“I named no name.”
Tyrion let the eunuch help him mount. “Lord Varys,” he said from the saddle, “sometimes I feel as though you are the best friend I have in King’s Landing, and sometimes I feel you are my worst enemy.”
“How odd. I think quite the same of you.”

While it is conceivable that Varys is lying, or was himself the whisperer (although that doesn't make much sense since Varys wanted to deescalate the conflict to give time for his own plans to come to fruition), I feel like it is probably the truth because it fits so well with Littlefinger's constant attempts to escalate the war. It only make sense that he kickstarted the whole thing from the very beginning by turning Stannis (and subsequently Jon Arryn) against the Lannisters and sowing the seeds for the war in the first place.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Yes. Here's the exchange in ACOK:

While it is conceivable that Varys is lying, or was himself the whisperer (although that doesn't make much sense since Varys wanted to deescalate the conflict to give time for his own plans to come to fruition), I feel like it is probably the truth because it fits so well with Littlefinger's constant attempts to escalate the war. It only make sense that he kickstarted the whole thing from the very beginning by turning Stannis (and subsequently Jon Arryn) against the Lannisters and sowing the seeds for the war in the first place.

Oh ok, thanks. Stannis didn't seem to trust Varys at all so this makes sense.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ague Proof posted:

I wrote this post a few days ago on a different forum:

Women "sew" pants. Men "sow" chaos.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Women "sew" pants. Men "sow" chaos.

Not if they're ironborn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
We do not sew.

e: Not quite quick enough to throw in an ironborn joke.

• Locked thread