Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It seems like "for publicity" is pretty much the best way to use Kickstarter at this point. Are you open to having some goon playtests going or do you have IRL groups for that? I've got a group that's pretty willing to test out new fantasy PbTA (we did Vincent Baker's dark ages last fall) If you're letting strangers have at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It's closed playtesting, in the "ask me and I'll hook you up" sense. An online playtest would be just fine by me, as long as you aren't spreading the rules everywhere. Giving 'em to your players is a-okay.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Consider me interested, then. I have PMs and all that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Sagan posted:

It's not ideal if you're not specifically looking to do a game about D&D-style dungeon-crawling

Yeah, but then again, that's entirely the point of a PbtA game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Oh, he's still alive and still, to the best of my knowledge, acting like a cranky old man pastiche on RPGnet. And you're in luck because I believe he did Kickstart a book though I don't know if it's out yet and can't speak to its quality if so.

I think the Kickstarter has been coming "real soon now" for like a couple years. I probably would've even bought the book, especially after getting into Designers & Dragons. Except, after one of his many non-permabans from RPGnet, he went wallowing in RPGSite in a very "I am cool and hip like you kids, look how I poo poo on RPGnet." He made a lot of noise about how he's only on RPGnet now to trick those dummies into buying his book. To RPGSite's credit, no one gave a poo poo about his drat fool antics. Plus all his annoying "quirks" that RPGnet somehow hasn't perma-banned him (again) for, though I probably would have held my nose on that.

TLDR: OldGeezer is a piece of poo poo, don't buy/fund his book.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Ken Hite (Night's Black Agents, The Dracula Dossier) was on the HpPodcraft discussing Dracula.

http://hppodcraft.com/2015/03/05/episode-247-dracula-part-1/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Plague of Hats posted:

To RPGSite's credit, no one gave a poo poo about his drat fool antics. Plus all his annoying "quirks" that RPGnet somehow hasn't perma-banned him (again) for, though I probably would have held my nose on that.
He just picked up a long probation over at RPGnet and the rather curt and blunt ban message shows that even RPGnet's mods are getting tired of his routine.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

FMguru posted:

He just picked up a long probation over at RPGnet and the rather curt and blunt ban message shows that even RPGnet's mods are getting tired of his routine.

I dunno, sounds a lot like previous bans of his, including his one or two permas.

Edit: Looking at the infraction, it's pretty dry. Doesn't look like "tired of this poo poo", more like " welp, here we are again, see you the next dozen times!"

Edit 2: Really, I'll probably cut RPGnet more slack than a lot of people around here, but when it comes to OG I think they've been making mistakes for a long time. I'm morbidly curious to know what compels them to cut him so much slack. I would hope it's at least horse-heads-in-beds interesting, but I'm sure it's not.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 7, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Something about Dungeon World didn't hook me, I'm not really sure why. Both playing it and running it fell flat. On the other hand, Monster of the Week just clicked for me, so it's not an AW thing. There's just this difference in how the playbooks and moves are presented that doesn't work for me. DW's are very prescriptive, which makes sense given how it tries to cleave to the source material. Apocalypse World and Monster of the Week have this feeling of giving you special, alternate means of approaching problems in a way that the class books don't.

I think it has something to do with the way the ability scores are presented as your be-all end-all approach, it evokes the wrong sorts of stuff about D&D for me. On the other hand, a more 'standard' (for lack of a better word) AW-powered game doesn't push you into Str, Dex, and Int, it pushes you toward Hot and Sharp, Volatile and Dark, Look and Power, or Tough and Weird. It just creates this different space to tell your stories in. Heck, maybe 6 is too many stats!

Basically, Dungeon World has too much D&D in it for its own good.

On the other hand, a current Kickstarter (Uncharted Worlds, if you want to check it out) really caught my imagination and pulls the right sorts of ideas from class-based systems. Your character is built out of these components, two careers and a background. These give you skills and the like, in addition to ideas on how they blend with other parts. From there, all the fluff is on you to name your 'archetype'. So you end up with very different approaches to problems based on that flavor. I mean, I have no idea how it works in play for obvious reasons, but I really like the idea and I feel like it hits the notes that DW doesn't.

One of my favorite bits of 4e is how your role and power source interact to build your class and your race shapes you inside of that space. This gives you things like Paladins and Avengers sharing similar thematic spaces due to the Divine source, but their respective roles (defender and striker) shape their approaches to combat. Race and deity let you diverge even further, both mechanically and thematically. Something like Uncharted Worlds' approach (in this case Race, Role, Power Source) would really make a fantasy AW hack shine for me.

I think, at the end of the day, if I want to play D&D, I just want to play 4e to get that experience. If I'm playing something else, I want a different experience, not the same sort of storytelling and worldbuilding with different crunch attached.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

FMguru posted:

*reads thread*

*starts making a Blue Rose campaign mod for Lamentations of the Flame Princess*

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Didn't Dungeon World have some super fallout with their artists or something? I thought they had allotted big Kickstarter dollars for pro presentation, but the final art is really bad.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well I just found the time cube of RPGs....
EDIT:
Or I've somehow managed to find myself into the plotline of a rather bizarre game of Mage.

HYBRID?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

*reads thread*

*starts making a Blue Rose campaign mod for Lamentations of the Flame Princess*

Please do.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm hanging out with my old college friends / D&D group next month, and I'm thinking about picking up Mouse Guard or Torchbearer for a one-shot because I feel like they'd appreciate the themes and the mechanics. The alternative is Dungeon World, which I'm sure would be fine but I figured they would like something crunchier (and for my own sake, new is always better).

Anyway, I haven't seen the rules for either in detail; Burning Wheel seemed way over my head, but supposedly these games are more focused. Would I be making a terrible mistake?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anyway, I haven't seen the rules for either in detail; Burning Wheel seemed way over my head, but supposedly these games are more focused. Would I be making a terrible mistake?

If you were choosing a Burning Wheel game for a one-shot I would choose Mouse Guard.
Torchbearer has a bunch of bits that are intended to help emulate the behavior of adventurers that pack on a bunch of added crunch to the core system. More so than I would desire in a one shot game.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
GAME CHANGER-- a game of changing the..... the "Reality" Matrix itself!!! YOU are a "Matrix Wizard".... It is the memetech "magic" (Artwork that contains wisdom knowledge) that is the building block of human reality.

The "MEMETECH SPELL PACKET" is the 1 unit of info on a piece of paper that contains the Artwork and infotech... all you do is take this one piece of paper and spread the info..

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know it's come up before but what are some good RPGs for kids? I work at a day care and spring break is coming up so I'm going to have my kids full time for the week. Ages between 8 and 11 would be likely to play but possibly a 5 year old. Am I out of luck or does something for this exist?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think Ratpick's been playing World of Dungeons with local kids and had some success. If you want a game actually themed for kids and other innocent people, you could do worse than look at Do: The Book of Letters, Golden Sky Stories or our local goon Ewen's Retail Magic.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
RPGs for kids?

What is the community consensus on Engine Heart? Too dark?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

For kids that young I'd go either something REALLY rules light like Risus or Fate accelerated. Either that or something that's more a customizable board-game than an actual rpg like Talisman or Heroquest.

Edit: If they were teens I'd suggest the Pathfinder Beginner Box to get everyone to complain for another page, but I don't like to derail in bad faith.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 8, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PresidentBeard posted:

For kids that young I'd go either something REALLY rules light like Risus or Fate accelerated. Either that or something that's more a customizable board-game than an actual rpg like Talisman or Heroquest.

Edit: If they were teens I'd suggest the Pathfinder Beginner Box to get everyone to complain for another page, but I don't like to derail in bad faith.

If I wanted to go that route I have plenty of 3.5 and the core 4e books. How does Fate Core stack up to Fate Accelerated? I bought Fate Core a couple years back and still haven't given it a real good once over.

Golden Sky Stories sounds neat has anyone played it enough to be able to give a real good opinion?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Siivola posted:

our local goon Ewen's Retail Magic.

So Recettear: The RPG? Looks interesting. And congratulations Ewen on publishing it.

Retail Magic sparks a thought about Rifts. Playing a game as an amoral shopkeeper in the dimensional Bazaar on Splugorth's Atlantis or Naruni weapons dealers that travel the post-Rifts US trying to sell to Tolkeen, the Federation of Magic, and the various Coalition powers would be an interesting game. Sort of Lord of War meets the insanity of Rifts for the latter idea.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 8, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fate Core is more complicated than Accelerated but the same basic idea from my understanding. I haven't played Core proper, only its previous editions.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Helical Nightmares posted:

So Recettear: The RPG? Looks interesting. And congratulations Ewen on publishing it.

Retail Magic sparks a thought about Rifts. Playing a game as an amoral shopkeeper in the dimensional Bazaar on Splugorth's Atlantis or Naruni weapons dealers that travel the post-Rifts US trying to sell to Tolkeen, the Federation of Magic, and the various Coalition powers would be an interesting game. Sort of Lord of War meets the insanity of Rifts for the latter idea.

It's much more Clerks than Recettear. The focus of the game is dealing with wacky situations in an item shop, rather than on actually selling stuff. There's no real mechanics for the store profitting or anything, inventory is more background dressing than actual stuff, and making tough sales is for the boss to give you bonus points instead of making a buck. It's still a pretty fun game and really easy to play, but if you're looking for tabletop Recettear, this isn't exactly it. Maybe when the complete version is out.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Len posted:

How does Fate Core stack up to Fate Accelerated?

It's the same rules as Accelerated with a larger skill list and more GM advice. You can't go wrong with either, though FAE should work well enough for your group.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

:( Avery McDaldno has just quit the RPG community.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

:(

I hate this hobby.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ego Trip posted:

:(

I hate this hobby.

Reading the G+ post it doesn't really look like this is a case of "the hobby drove me out" so much as she decided that her mental energy and effort would be better directed elsewhere. There may be some subtext that I'm missing and I certainly don't doubt that she's probably had some poo poo slung her way, but in this particular case it doesn't seem like that was the inciting factor here.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Yeah, unless she's not mentioning some negative stuff it just sounds like she's been burnt out on the hobby for a while and finally decided to back out instead of forcing herself to continue interacting with it.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Lynx Winters posted:

It's much more Clerks than Recettear. The focus of the game is dealing with wacky situations in an item shop, rather than on actually selling stuff. There's no real mechanics for the store profitting or anything, inventory is more background dressing than actual stuff, and making tough sales is for the boss to give you bonus points instead of making a buck. It's still a pretty fun game and really easy to play, but if you're looking for tabletop Recettear, this isn't exactly it. Maybe when the complete version is out.
Yeah, a set of "Commerce Rules" is going to be one of the major new things the full version will have, though it's also going to be the single most design-intensive part of the endeavor. Without that it's much more like a retail sitcom crossed with Slayers.

Kai Tave posted:

Reading the G+ post it doesn't really look like this is a case of "the hobby drove me out" so much as she decided that her mental energy and effort would be better directed elsewhere. There may be some subtext that I'm missing and I certainly don't doubt that she's probably had some poo poo slung her way, but in this particular case it doesn't seem like that was the inciting factor here.
I'm sad to see she's leaving gaming, but it sounds like she's more just not feeling it, so it's not nearly as depressing as it could be.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ewen Cluney posted:

Yeah, a set of "Commerce Rules" is going to be one of the major new things the full version will have, though it's also going to be the single most design-intensive part of the endeavor. Without that it's much more like a retail sitcom crossed with Slayers.

I'm sad to see she's leaving gaming, but it sounds like she's more just not feeling it, so it's not nearly as depressing as it could be.

Yeah but retail sitcom crossed with Slayers was a decent show a couple of seasons ago.

Edit: Although it was a bit heavy on the fanservice.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 8, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I didn't like Monsterhearts much but Avery is a good person considering their alternative way of payment and I wish success on whatever they want to do now.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I didn't like Monsterhearts much but Avery is a good person considering their alternative way of payment and I wish success on whatever they want to do now.

Same.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I'm sorry to see the hobby lose a talented designer, though I'm glad she's just burnt out rather than being chased out.

I dunno if you're doing that on purpose, but pronoun games aren't cool.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Maaan I use neutrals exactly to prevent that sort of stuff

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Falstaff posted:

I dunno if you're doing that on purpose, but pronoun games aren't cool.

Avery went by 'they' for several years before switching a few months back. In this case, it doesn't seem unreasonable for someone who doesn't follow her social media feeds regularly to be unaware of the shift.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Alright, I stand corrected. Sorry about that Plutonis - everything I've seen her write (which hasn't been a lot, admittedly, she only came into my radar a while after Monsterhearts) she's referred to herself as a woman, I wasn't aware that wasn't the case earlier.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
An ironic reversal of fortune in which Plutonis takes flak for a post that is actually good.

Realtalk, this:

is a good post, please post more like this.

For what it's worth this is more or less my sentiment. I don't think I'm ever going to be a big Monsterhearts fan not because I think it's a bad game but because it's just Not My Thing, but I recognize that what it does it does very well and the fact that a bunch of people seem to dig the hell out of it goes to show that there was an untapped niche for exactly this sort of game and I'm glad someone came along to fill it with something that wasn't "roll 1d20 to remove panties." Also Avery sounds like a cool person who's decided that there's other stuff they'd like to do with their time that would make them happier so while it's a shame she's leaving gaming this sounds like a pretty decent reason to do so.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kai Tave posted:

An ironic reversal of fortune in which Plutonis takes flak for a post that is actually good.

Yeah, let's not jump on people for using singular they for a person whose gender they are not familiar with. I mean, really.

We're gonna miss you, Avery :( Like, a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Monsterhearts may be the only elfgame to treat sexuality in a mature manner, and for its creator to leave the industry is a sad thing; better that, however, than to stick around if she felt that it was not what was good for her.

• Locked thread