Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

General Morden posted:

the ps vita can handle extensive rubbing

can the new 3ds xl really live up to the ps vita in this design aspect?

Vita can't live up to 3DS' scratching, only rubbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Hikaki posted:

A retina 3DS would be amazing but then again they would probably charge $600+.

Agreed, the paltry resolution of the 3DS is a travesty and probably why mobile gaming is doing so much better

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Any good grips for the new 3DS XL yet? I had some rubbery piece of poo poo from amazon last time, and I want something more like the Nyko grip for vita.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

Agreed, the paltry resolution of the 3DS is a travesty and probably why mobile gaming is doing so much better

Is it?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fryhtaning posted:

I don't know how I'm going to survive until the end of the month to find out what the Platinum rewards are, so I can finally spend my coins on something that's NOT a Platinum reward.

I'm a bit impatient, too. I've banked enough coins to buy Kid Icarus but I want to see if it is a free prize, first. Hopefully we get some good free stuff. Four Swords, please.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

No doubt about it. I got a 3ds for my niece and she played it once and said it looked ugly and went back to her ipad mini.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Higher resolution wouldn't have saved them from the smartphone sea change. You have your smartphone in your pocket no matter what, you don't mind spending a lot of money on it because of how much it does... These gaming handhelds can't be passed off for more than $200. There are a lot of people who would've bought a Nintendo handheld if not for their smartphone, but Nintendo can't necessarily win those people back with any standalone handheld now.

I think Nintendo has basically smart people doing strategy for them, but maybe overly cautious people.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My idea for Nintendo to have something like a cloud save system but not w cloud save because they are too lazy to make that infrastructure would be a phone app that syncs with your 3ds and WiiU and pulls your saves, giving you cross saves for games on both platforms like virtual console and some eShop games, since everyone always has their phone with them anyway.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

African AIDS cum posted:

No doubt about it. I got a 3ds for my niece and she played it once and said it looked ugly and went back to her ipad mini.

Holy poo poo. This is all the proof that was needed. My god! You've solved everything!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I think it's more because gaming is not a smartphone's primary function. For most people, gaming is lower on the list of reasons to own a smartphone, but once you have one you can take advantage of games that are available. This means a wider user base since you have non-gamers buying a device that can play your games. Same reason why Farmville was so successful: you don't go on Facebook to play games, but you might as well try one once you're on there, even if you're not normally a gamer. With a handheld or console, the primary purpose is for gaming so only gamers will buy them.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Hikaki posted:

I think it's more because gaming is not a smartphone's primary function. For most people, gaming is lower on the list of reasons to own a smartphone, but once you have one you can take advantage of games that are available. This means a wider user base since you have non-gamers buying a device that can play your games. Same reason why Farmville was so successful: you don't go on Facebook to play games, but you might as well try one once you're on there, even if you're not normally a gamer. With a handheld or console, the primary purpose is for gaming so only gamers will buy them.

True, back like 10 years ago moms would buy their kids a DS and some shovelware like Barbie Dogz n' Horsez now they just give them an iphone

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

True, back like 10 years ago moms would buy their kids a DS and some shovelware like Barbie Dogz n' Horsez now they just give them an iphone

Now that I think of it, the advent of smartphone gaming is truly a boon for shovelware developers.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

African AIDS cum posted:

Counterpoint: my husband's little brother (age 10) loves the poo poo out of his 3DS and Wii U, talks incessantly about Mario and Pokemon, and has a little Mario Bros. club with his friends where they record videos about Mario on their 3DSes. :3: Kid doesn't even have a cell phone.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Silver Falcon posted:

Counterpoint: my husband's little brother (age 10) loves the poo poo out of his 3DS and Wii U, talks incessantly about Mario and Pokemon, and has a little Mario Bros. club with his friends where they record videos about Mario on their 3DSes. :3: Kid doesn't even have a cell phone.

There's hope for the future.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Overbite posted:

The Codename STEAM demo did a good job of turning me off it. I don't like anything about the presentation including graphics and sound, and so far all I've done is run down these corridors shooting bugs and waiting too long for them to move about.

What a horrible opinion

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Hikaki posted:

The number of my favourite base building franchises that have been turned into mobile free to play games... gently caress. Hey idiots who pay for games why don't you like base building?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
If poor resolution was the 3DS's biggest problem, the vita would be doing a lot better than it is.

It's a pretty big problem though. A loving wristwatch has a better screen these days.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

African AIDS cum posted:

Nintendo needs to hire some Apple designers

So that the screen can shatter when you place it down on a table? No thanks.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

240p may seem bad. But the 3DS has to render 3 screens. The top is effectively 800×240 pixels and the lower screen is 320×240 pixels for a combined total of 192,00 + 76,800 = 268,800 pixels. The equivalent of like... half a vita. So just think about that next time you wanna criticise the display.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

So that the screen can shatter when you place it down on a table? No thanks.

The designers they have now make screens that break before you take it out of the box so anything is a step up.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

What a horrible opinion

I don't know man, I was super psyched for this game when I first heard about it and I'm a sucker for anything SRPG/XCOM/Valkria Chronicles, but everything I've seen or played of Codename STEAM just did not grab me whatsoever. I appreciate what they're going for, and I absolutely love how bombastic everything is, but the visual presentation is pretty ugly.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm seriously considering upgrading my 3DS XL to the Nu3DS XL, are any reputable places having sales or discounts on the system or is it just too new? I'm a fan of saving money and getting good deals when I can.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You will probably have to wait till Black Friday for a sale. Or get a used one on SAMart/Ebay.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Xenomrph posted:

I'm seriously considering upgrading my 3DS XL to the Nu3DS XL, are any reputable places having sales or discounts on the system or is it just too new? I'm a fan of saving money and getting good deals when I can.

Xenomrph posted:

There won't be any sales on it until November, at the earliest. The best deal would ahve been trading in your old 3DS at Gamestop, but that promotion is long dead, so you're basically out of luck unless you wanna grab one and then try your luck on eBay with the old one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

240p may seem bad. But the 3DS has to render 3 screens. The top is effectively 800×240 pixels and the lower screen is 320×240 pixels for a combined total of 192,00 + 76,800 = 268,800 pixels. The equivalent of like... half a vita. So just think about that next time you wanna criticise the display.

I thought about it and it turns out the display still looks pretty lovely

Hope Nintendo's next handheld has a much nicer screen and I wouldn't mind them dumping 3D if that's what it takes

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fuzz posted:

There won't be any sales on it until November, at the earliest. The best deal would ahve been trading in your old 3DS at Gamestop, but that promotion is long dead, so you're basically out of luck unless you wanna grab one and then try your luck on eBay with the old one.
That's sort of what I figured. I was planning on selling the old 3DS XL to try and recoup some of the cost of "upgrading".

In all honesty $200 seems like a pretty fair price (even moreso if I can get some of it back by reselling the old handheld) but I try to save money where I can.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Fuzz posted:

I just traded in a Vita and they gave me $100 towards the New3DS, so either some places are still honoring it or I got lucky.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
You can get as much or more now for your 3DS on eBay or craigslist as you could have from GameStop when they were offering $75/$100 credit when the New 3DS came out. Almost definitely more; gently caress those guys

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
If anyone else is tired of waiting for the HORI New 3DS XL cases to come in stock I just ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DI5ONOWO5GXUAMF

Should be here Wednesday. Check the marketplace to see ones that are actually in-stock...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wonder what the hold up on those things is. I talked to Amazon and they said they didn't get enough to fulfill pre-orders and bumped my shipping to next day.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I think Amazon oversold my New 3DS case. It was set to ship on the 6th but it isn't in what got shipped and the website says sold out.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I thought about it and it turns out the display still looks pretty lovely

Hope Nintendo's next handheld has a much nicer screen and I wouldn't mind them dumping 3D if that's what it takes

I think I wouldn't mind the lower resolution if they did some anti-aliasing. That's really the biggest offender for me. People like to harp on the N64 for its aggressive anti-aliasing but that combined with the natural blurring you get from CRTs made those games look pretty good to me. On the 3DS all I can see is aliasing all the time and it drives me nuts.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Please go back to the Vita thread. There's no room here for the likes of you.

I was trying to shave a couple strokes off of my -7 in the current Cheep Cheep tourney, when everything clicked and I suddenly had a -12 (in 9 holes). There was an incredible amount of luck, including 3 chip ins and a hole in one on a par four using a bullet bill.

That's the first time in 30 hours I've ever had everything comes together like that, and that was still 5 off of the top score. That's loving nuts that some players do several strokes better than that well in every single tourney. Especially on courses with no items.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Sodium Chloride posted:

And then you drop your 3DS and the right hinge gets hosed up.

:cry:

Left hinge for me. My OG 3DS is held together by superglue and a rubber band (sorta, the hinge still stays together, but without the glue the top screen just can't hold itself up.)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

Please go back to the Vita thread. There's no room here for the likes of you.

what

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Said the guy with the anime avatar

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Anora posted:

Left hinge for me. My OG 3DS is held together by superglue and a rubber band (sorta, the hinge still stays together, but without the glue the top screen just can't hold itself up.)

Did your girlfriend help you glue it?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just bought my first batch of turnips in New Leaf. I freaked out cause after I adjusted my 3DS clock for daylight savings I remembered Joan telling me any funny business with the clocks would spoil my turnips. Luckily, nothing happened.

Are there any good New Leaf guides worth checking out as I play by my lonesome or is it frowned on to check guides like Dark Souls.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Said the guy with the anime avatar

Is this supposed to be an own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Housh posted:

I just bought my first batch of turnips in New Leaf. I freaked out cause after I adjusted my 3DS clock for daylight savings I remembered Joan telling me any funny business with the clocks would spoil my turnips. Luckily, nothing happened.

Are there any good New Leaf guides worth checking out as I play by my lonesome or is it frowned on to check guides like Dark Souls.

It's setting the clock backwards that fucks up turnips. If you're still playing when DST ends, I'd recommend resetting your clock before buying them.

Also why... would it be frowned up on check guides? :psyduck: Animal Crossing ain't no Dark Souls, son.

If you want some guides, mosey on over to ye olde Animal Crossing thread. There are guides linked in the first post.