Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Saagonsa posted:

Is this supposed to be an own?

That was such a sick burn and you know it!

Seriously don't gently caress with OP! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Red Robin Hood posted:

Did your girlfriend help you glue it?

Sure. Let's go with that. Me and her just staring into each others eyes while we hold the 3DS in our hands, applying pressure, but for longer then 30 seconds, as I made sure not to buy the fast drying one.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

Are there any good New Leaf guides worth checking out as I play by my lonesome or is it frowned on to check guides like Dark Souls.

Definitely go to the thread and look at guides, some of the mechanics are absurd/esoteric/totally inscrutable.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Anora posted:

Sure. Let's go with that. Me and her just staring into each others eyes while we hold the 3DS in our hands, applying pressure, but for longer then 30 seconds, as I made sure not to buy the fast drying one.

I doubt it was longer than 30 seconds.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Anora posted:

Oh wow that's so hot :fap:

Was at a friend's house last night and took a look at his OG 3ds. I don't know how I ever played with the 3d on. It is so sensitive!

There is no turning back...

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The new 3DS XL makes the original look like a Fischer Price toy the way the XL did the regular.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Saagonsa posted:

Is this supposed to be an own?

Just the facts, ma'am :tipshat:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is there a reputable online store with super card ds twos in stock?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there a reputable online store with super card ds twos in stock?
Nope. I think most are waiting for DSTWO plus to come out. I ordered a R4i Gold from nds-card to play around with. They take paypal and are recommended by gbatemp. My plan is to get a DSTWOplus once they come out and give the R4i Gold to my nephew.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What's the difference between the super card and r4 gold?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

What's the difference between the super card and r4 gold?
super card emulates gba and snes games. r4 gold is good if you just want to run homebrew and DS backups. I think there is a big price difference too.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is there an ETA on the DSTwo? I wouldn't mind picking up something like that.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Fryhtaning posted:

I was trying to shave a couple strokes off of my -7 in the current Cheep Cheep tourney, when everything clicked and I suddenly had a -12 (in 9 holes). There was an incredible amount of luck, including 3 chip ins and a hole in one on a par four using a bullet bill.

That's the first time in 30 hours I've ever had everything comes together like that, and that was still 5 off of the top score. That's loving nuts that some players do several strokes better than that well in every single tourney. Especially on courses with no items.

Good to hear I'm not the only one left still playing Mario Golf.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tyson Tomko posted:

Good to hear I'm not the only one left still playing Mario Golf.

I just got it and like playing but when I read stuff like that I have no desire to play online.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Waltzing Along posted:

I just got it and like playing but when I read stuff like that I have no desire to play online.

Online tournament play is still fun no worries. There are going to be people who play them 1000 tines for the best score sure but that makes doing great on the first or second try that much more satisfying.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Play Mario Golf: World Tour every day.

Noticed recently they stopped adding new clothing for tournaments, though. They've started cycling from the beginning but all those outfits are available for sale in the store so it's not as cool. :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I have yet to miss a single online tourney for Mario Golf since Day 1. I need to hurry up and do this week's though...it's been a couple days since I've checked in.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

Play Mario Golf: World Tour every day.

Noticed recently they stopped adding new clothing for tournaments, though. They've started cycling from the beginning but all those outfits are available for sale in the store so it's not as cool. :(

My biggest disappointment with the game is the gear. You could play for 5 hours and pretty much be 95% of the way to the best possible gear, stats-wise. You'll never be able to hit as far as some of the star characters, or as accurately as others, even if you can strike a pretty good balance and still have straight shots.

I've also only been playing for a month or so, so I don't really count as "still" playing that game.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Online tournament play is still fun no worries. There are going to be people who play them 1000 tines for the best score sure but that makes doing great on the first or second try that much more satisfying.

Yeah, it's a fun and reasonably attainable challenge to go for silver on every tournament. If everything holds, that -12 I just pulled will be my first gold, as well as the DLC coin challenge that ends in a few days. If I didn't get lucky, I'd be playing 1000 times to get gold on any given tourney.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So how easy is it to replace the circle pad on a 3DS XL? My friend just got a N3DS and he wants to sell his old one but the circle pad is gummed up because it gets stuck all of the time. I think he's just a disgusting slob that doesn't wash his hands after eating. I found a guide on iFixit that seems pretty easy but I'm curious if any goons have done it or if it's just better to send the drat thing to Nintendo for them to fix it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hikaki posted:

I think I wouldn't mind the lower resolution if they did some anti-aliasing. That's really the biggest offender for me. People like to harp on the N64 for its aggressive anti-aliasing but that combined with the natural blurring you get from CRTs made those games look pretty good to me. On the 3DS all I can see is aliasing all the time and it drives me nuts.

When's the last time you played on an N64? The low resolution, aliasing, low framerate and distorted faraway textures (due to no/bad texture filtering) are pretty staggering by today's standards.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I did it

I beat all 150 levels of pokemon shuffle without spending a dime or using that exploit that was around. Was actually a fun game and is much better than that other Pokemon bejeweled clone.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

flyboi posted:

I did it

I beat all 150 levels of pokemon shuffle without spending a dime or using that exploit that was around. Was actually a fun game and is much better than that other Pokemon bejeweled clone.

:downsbravo:

Feels pretty good to cheat the system though, doesn't it?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Housh posted:

Nope. I think most are waiting for DSTWO plus to come out. I ordered a R4i Gold from nds-card to play around with. They take paypal and are recommended by gbatemp. My plan is to get a DSTWOplus once they come out and give the R4i Gold to my nephew.
I've got a DSTWO (and I like it a lot), will there be any reason to upgrade to the DSTWOplus once it's available?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

flyboi posted:

I did it

150 is the last, eh? I figured. I've reached that one and only got a few Pokémon left to catch. Guess I can start spending coins on some Great Balls if there's nothing more past this.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Red Robin Hood posted:

:downsbravo:

Feels pretty good to cheat the system though, doesn't it?

If it were a $10 game with more levels I would've bought it without thinking. Unfortunately it was demoted to a pooping game until I got 6 gems and was able to speed through 2/3rds of the game one evening.

Edit: You will definitely need some money or gems for the last battle. It's dick as gently caress.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Xenomrph posted:

I've got a DSTWO (and I like it a lot), will there be any reason to upgrade to the DSTWOplus once it's available?

It's rumored to play 3DS games, but the speculation seems like bullshit since the promise an in-game menu and slow motion (like the DS had) and there no hacks that allow for that or videos that showcase it etc etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah the dstwo plus will play 3ds roms

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

flyboi posted:

Edit: You will definitely need some money or gems for the last battle. It's dick as gently caress.
Yyyyyeah. I tried it once already. Got 10 jewels stockpiled from the trainer battles, I spent the first ones I got on hearts then realized I had no reason to do that.

Also: gently caress Zoroark, seriously

Edit: And these EX stages where the fuckers have a 1% base catchability rate, wtf.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 8, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

noirstronaut posted:

It's rumored to play 3DS games, but the speculation seems like bullshit since the promise an in-game menu and slow motion (like the DS had) and there no hacks that allow for that or videos that showcase it etc etc.

To be honest the abilities of the hacks are not fully realized because of how the current environment is. The Gateway loader is encrypted with a bunch of checks to limit the ability for someone to hack it. The MT Gold and R4 3DS clones were just clones of the Gateway but with decrypted Gateway loaders. Gateway hated this and did a bunch of changes including bricking some systems on accident and due to their encryption changes those cards haven't been updated in a long time to support a lot of the newer stuff that Gateway does.

Anyways with that out of the way with the older decrypted loader a group in China have successfully modified the loader to include a subtitling system and translated a few games with it like Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies. I have heard of other modifications to the loader in China but don't remember them off my head. Just because Gateway doesn't do it doesn't mean something isn't possible but the closed nature of the entire scene makes innovation pretty stifling.

http://www.xinplay.net/thread-38325-1-1.html

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am trying to get through the Zelda games in some semblance of order for some dumb reason. Anywya, I finished OOT and then went to LTTP. Which should I play next?

Skyward Sword
Majora's Mask
Oracle of something
Windwaker

WW is probably the one I am most excited to play but I also kind of want to wait a while as I've heard it is even better if you have other games under your belt. The one I am most excited about after WW is Link's Awakening but I want to do the Oracles first.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Waltzing Along posted:

I am trying to get through the Zelda games in some semblance of order for some dumb reason. Anywya, I finished OOT and then went to LTTP. Which should I play next?

Skyward Sword
Majora's Mask
Oracle of something
Windwaker

WW is probably the one I am most excited to play but I also kind of want to wait a while as I've heard it is even better if you have other games under your belt. The one I am most excited about after WW is Link's Awakening but I want to do the Oracles first.
Go for Majora's Mask next, and play Link's Awakening before the Oracle games. Other than that, order doesn't matter a ton, but I'd proooobably say Wind Waker before Skyward Sword. Get Twilight Princess (GC version) in there somewhere too. I assume you played ALBW already.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Go for Majora's Mask next, and play Link's Awakening before the Oracle games. Other than that, order doesn't matter a ton, but I'd proooobably say Wind Waker before Skyward Sword. Get Twilight Princess (GC version) in there somewhere too. I assume you played ALBW already.

Link's Awakening is chronologically after the Oracle games though. Why should he play it first if chronology is important to them?

Also seconding that Majora's Mask be played next.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Variable_H posted:

Link's Awakening is chronologically after the Oracle games though. Why should he play it first if chronology is important to them?
Hm, I seemed to remember it was the other way around. Oh, well. It's not like there's anything in the Oracle storylines that connect to anything in Link's Awakening.

So whatever then.

But yeah if you want chronology start with Skyward Sword and then follow the official timeline, one fork at a time. Do Majora's Mask while you still have OoT in recent memory, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That makes sense. Guess I'll do MM next. I just wanted to wait because after doing OOT I was a bit burned out from that style of game and wanted something different.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flyboi posted:

I did it

Yeah I finished it yesterday too.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

flyboi posted:

To be honest the abilities of the hacks are not fully realized because of how the current environment is. The Gateway loader is encrypted with a bunch of checks to limit the ability for someone to hack it. The MT Gold and R4 3DS clones were just clones of the Gateway but with decrypted Gateway loaders. Gateway hated this and did a bunch of changes including bricking some systems on accident and due to their encryption changes those cards haven't been updated in a long time to support a lot of the newer stuff that Gateway does.

Anyways with that out of the way with the older decrypted loader a group in China have successfully modified the loader to include a subtitling system and translated a few games with it like Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies. I have heard of other modifications to the loader in China but don't remember them off my head. Just because Gateway doesn't do it doesn't mean something isn't possible but the closed nature of the entire scene makes innovation pretty stifling.

http://www.xinplay.net/thread-38325-1-1.html

Right, Supercard is promising something out of nowhere after being MIA for 2 - 3 years.

And I think the system has been hacked/opened by the to teams, Gateway and SKY, but the reliance on game translations relied on the open decryption of 3DS ROMs.

Outside of that, everyone should own a DSTWO solely to play Rhythm Tengoku on their new 3DS.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

How is Majoras Mask vs say the original. The visual upgrade on starfox 3ds has me a wonderin.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Junkie Disease posted:

How is Majoras Mask vs say the original. The visual upgrade on starfox 3ds has me a wonderin.

Is the StarFox 64 upgrade any good? Looks a lot better than N64 graphics at a glance, at least.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Junkie Disease posted:

Considerably less brown is rendered, so it's an improvement. It still won't pass as a modern game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Fuzz posted:

Is the StarFox 64 upgrade any good? Looks a lot better than N64 graphics at a glance, at least.

It's the exact same but with somewhat better voice acting and much better graphics. There's no notable changes other than that.