Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Home was seriously gnarly. Like, I turned it off after the cold open because it grossed me out, which never happens with me. It's a really good one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

There's no expiration date showing up for the x-files in my queue anymore, so there should be plenty of time to watch it all!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Malloreon posted:

There's no expiration date showing up for the x-files in my queue anymore, so there should be plenty of time to watch it all!
I have no idea about this particular instance, but often expiration dates show up only a few weeks before the thing expires.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I have no idea about this particular instance, but often expiration dates show up only a few weeks before the thing expires.

It was there for me last week but gone now. I think its run has been extended

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 8, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Okay you've all convinced me, Im going to continue watching x files in order (now that there's no rush) and see the good bits.

I started watching ABC'S of Death 2 last night and it made x files look like the best thing I've ever seen, so maybe I was being harsh to begin with. (The acting is definitely awful though, sorry.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At the time The X-Files was neat because it was like a weekly horror/monster movie. It was one of the first genre shows to really take on a cinematic feel (the various Star Treks all had more of a stagey vibe).

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Maxwell Lord posted:

At the time The X-Files was neat because it was like a weekly horror/monster movie. It was one of the first genre shows to really take on a cinematic feel (the various Star Treks all had more of a stagey vibe).

Yeah, there really hadn't been any sci-fi cinematic shows at the time. It hit a key part of the zietgiest of the 90's, government conspiracy* and a resurgence of an interest in extraterrestrials following the cold war period. Unfortunately, as others have said the main conspiracy plotline never had any payoff, and just kept getting dragged out. This is partially because it was a big moneymaker for Fox. In it's prime it and The Simpsons were the anchor of Sunday night TV. Like the Simpsons I always felt it suffered from a case of "adventures between now and the time that the show becomes unprofitable" syndrome. If they wrapped it up before it was tired and done they'd be losing out on potential profit. It was very much a product of it's times, but if you're interested in 90's TV you can't ignore it.

EDIT:
*In a less cynical age before we found out 90% of the non-alien conspiracies were true, and that nobody gave a poo poo that that was the case. :v:

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

If you are interested in Russia or espionage, I highly recommend the documentary Poisoned By Polonium.

For everyone trying to contextualize the X Files' popularity, I recommend Mirage Men.

Watermelon City fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 8, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, there really hadn't been any sci-fi cinematic shows at the time. It hit a key part of the zietgiest of the 90's, government conspiracy* and a resurgence of an interest in extraterrestrials following the cold war period. Unfortunately, as others have said the main conspiracy plotline never had any payoff, and just kept getting dragged out. This is partially because it was a big moneymaker for Fox. In it's prime it and The Simpsons were the anchor of Sunday night TV. Like the Simpsons I always felt it suffered from a case of "adventures between now and the time that the show becomes unprofitable" syndrome. If they wrapped it up before it was tired and done they'd be losing out on potential profit. It was very much a product of it's times, but if you're interested in 90's TV you can't ignore it.

EDIT:
*In a less cynical age before we found out 90% of the non-alien conspiracies were true, and that nobody gave a poo poo that that was the case. :v:

It bears mentioning that for the first five or so seasons, the conspiracy plotline episodes contain a lot of good character moments for Scully and Mulder, and sometimes people like Skinner. Don't watch for the plot because there isn't one, but for how the characters navigate the situations that they're in. I feel like those episodes always get short shrift compared to the stand-alone character-heavy ones, but you learn a lot about the characters when they're doing conspiracy-related things.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Watched The French Connection. It's a good movie but extremely dated. Pretty much if you want to see what New York was like in the early 70s it's an interesting trip. If you like suspenseful action movies of the Michael Mann variety it's worth a watch to see where some of the filmmaking conventions started. However, I found it less compelling because the stakes of the story are extremely low. The bad guys just want to smuggle a bunch of heroin into New York. In this day and age it's pretty hard for me to get riled up over that, enough to root for the cops whose behavior throughout the movie is pretty abusive and assholish..

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
If we're x-files chatting, watch "Dreamland", it's a two parter and some amazing work. It's a standalone story that does make some reference to the greater mythology. It's almost more like an x-files made for TV movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Malloreon posted:

It was there for me last week but gone now. I think its run has been extended

:tinfoil:

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Is there an episode of X-Files that was shot in the style of the reality show COPS? I feel like a friend told me I should watch that episode for some reason like, years ago. It's possible I'm confabulating the whole thing though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

forever whatever posted:

Is there an episode of X-Files that was shot in the style of the reality show COPS? I feel like a friend told me I should watch that episode for some reason like, years ago. It's possible I'm confabulating the whole thing though.

X-Cops, seventh season. Written by Vince Gilligan.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Wow, that was fast, thanks.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Whoah whoah whoah, what's with the X-Files poo poo talking earlier in this thread? What's going on in here guys :mad:

The X-Files is a Good Show, and it holds up very well. Is every single episode good, of course not, but put it up against any single camera non-sitcom that did 20+ episodes per season and it will more than stand its ground. And it's filled with amazing episodes, which people have been recommending for the last few pages.

The number of episodes does make it difficult to marathon watch, so not gonna argue there. That's the one aspect where the time period works against it, no one watched TV that way back then.

A couple more suggestions for good episodes that can be watched whenever, Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man from Season 4 gets into William B. Davis' awesome character, and Unusual Suspects from Season 5 is the origins of the Lone Gunmen.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I love the French connection. Those car chases are GOAT, and they become kind of terrifying to watch when you learn that they were shot without permits with real, non-movie drivers on the road with them.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
So that X-Files/COPS crossover in season 7 is a pretty dope standalone episode for anyone interested in standalone episodes. Cool to see that it was one of the Vince Gilligan ones.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

beanieson posted:

It's been a while but isn't Slater just doing a Jack Nicholson homage?

You just described Slater's entire career.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

forever whatever posted:

So that X-Files/COPS crossover in season 7 is a pretty dope standalone episode for anyone interested in standalone episodes. Cool to see that it was one of the Vince Gilligan ones.
I'd even say it would work really well as an introduction to the show, you get Mulder and Scully's dynamic, some paranormal creature of the week stuff, and it's really funny on top of all that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You can't really diss the conspiracy episodes too much because Alex Krycek mostly only appeared in those and he is great.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

mr.capps posted:

You can't really diss the conspiracy episodes too much because Alex Krycek mostly only appeared in those and he is great.

Krycek is awesome :allears:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

wafflesnsegways posted:

I love the French connection. Those car chases are GOAT, and they become kind of terrifying to watch when you learn that they were shot without permits with real, non-movie drivers on the road with them.

It's based on a true story, too, and the true story is completely unbelievable. Like I get that in 2015 the 100 pounds or so of heroin doesn't seem like that much compared to an Average Michael Bay Movie but in 1970 that represents the entire heroin supply for the eastern US. The actual cops involved tracked the shipment and sat in a dark basement for 3 days with loaded shotguns waiting for the pickup; They almost killed a janitor.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 9, 2015

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Short Penguin posted:

Krycek is awesome :allears:

Thirded

X-Files mytharc episodes were fine, especially within the first 6 seasons, as long as you weren't expecting any kind of cohesive end-game for them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The shittalking largely contained to one poster about xfiles. Its a good show it has its issues but it had a niche that wasn't contested for a long time. Also it had a great freaks episode.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Just watched Ragnarok. It was fairly entertaining.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

quote:

X Files :words:

Watch Kolchak: The Night Stalker

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Housebound was decent enough. If you enjoy Peter Jackson's early work, it has a touch of that to it. The first half of the movie has a completely different tone than the second half of the movie. It felt a little long, but it was entertaining.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I watched Faults last night and thought it was a pretty decent directorial debut. The only reason I'm mentioning it here is because an hour later I saw a commercial for it being available on demand to rent for $5 on Xfinity, and I have a big crush on Mary Elizabeth Winstead who was great in it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

The shittalking largely contained to one poster about xfiles. Its a good show it has its issues but it had a niche that wasn't contested for a long time. Also it had a great freaks episode.

I wasn't poo poo talking I was giving an honest opinion. I should try and remember that sci fi fans are a very defensive breed.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I wasn't poo poo talking I was giving an honest opinion. I should try and remember that sci fi fans are a very defensive breed.

Only one person said you were poo poo-talking, the vast majority of people who talked about The X-Files approached you with a lot of candor and helpful advice about the relative pros and cons of the show.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

Only one person said you were poo poo-talking, the vast majority of people who talked about The X-Files approached you with a lot of candor and helpful advice about the relative pros and cons of the show.

Which I already thanked everyone for, because it was genuinely appreciated.

I'm sure nobody will mind if everyone talks about other things for a bit though.

Edit: hang on, that seemed like quite a defensive reply to my allegation that sci fi fans are defensive. Hmmm.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 9, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You did start out by calling it "absolute garbage".

It's been said before but Karate Robo-Zyborgar is power rangers grandpa off his meds. Went in dreading a low effort movie ended up with a hyper love letter to Japanese tv shows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm very close to finishing a complete X-files rewatch so its all very fresh.

The series has about 200 goddamn episodes, and I think it maintains a very good ratio of quality for the entire run with the exception of the final season. Only the absolute best of the best(The Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, a few others) stay more consistent over any length of time comparable to the X-files 9 seasons, and I don't think anybody's trying to hold it to that kind of standard.

X-files will always be remembered fondly because it did something that wasn't being done on network television at the time, and was just a hell of a lot of fun to watch week to week. Not every show needs to be The Wire.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

No doubt in my mind that X-Files is better than The Wire.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
All the best shows have a baseball episode. X-Files does, but does Breaking Bad?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

penismightier posted:

No doubt in my mind that X-Files is better than The Wire.

Its a stupid comparison anyway and would lead to an equally stupid argument. My fault for even bringing it up.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Its a stupid comparison anyway and would lead to an equally stupid argument. My fault for even bringing it up.

X files is funnier then the last 10 years of the simpsons. Hey whens all the Marvel Stuff arriving?

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Don't know if anyone has been following the news from the apple event today, but HBO officially unveiled their standalone streaming service, HBO NOW.

It looks like HBO Go but you can get it for 15 dollars a month, independent of any cable package.

Apple TV exclusive, starts in April. First month is free, so you can get in on the Game of Thrones premiere.

Also Apple TV is now only 69 bucks -- I love mine and would heartily recommend it to everyone in this thread. HBO, Showtime, Hulu, Netflix all have good apps. And air play (for YouTube and other apps like Cinemax) is the bees knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Apple TV exclusive, starts in April.

To be clear, Apple TV is the only streaming box to have it at launch. You'll also be able to watch it from iOS devices or any web browser.