Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Les Affaires posted:

Isn't it fun when people who are challenged to Bring It to the rhetorical table just disappear for days on end

:v: if you think it's anything other than a low effort troll. Even the speech patterns are noticeably similar to previous incarnations itt. I suppose that this could possibly be explained by them all hanging out at various right-wing online haunts where they cross-pollinate their arguments and means of expression but I think Occam's might be applicable here.

Its sole value lies in drawing forth the occasional good rebuttal that might make an impression on politics lurkers and make them think about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

SadisTech posted:

Its sole value lies in drawing forth the occasional good rebuttal that might make an impression on politics lurkers and make them think about things.
Or the backfire effect reinforces the myth that's being debunked.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Birdstrike posted:

The only proper Australian way to treat reffos is to reward the degree of hazardousness of their trip (and therefore the degree of commitment they demonstrate to Australia). It's nothing less than the Anzac spirit.

Plane passengers should be dealt with under normal processes.

Those who make it to Christmas Island in a leaky fishing boat should be given citizenship, a democracy sausage, a cuppa and $500.

Those who make it to the mainland should get the same and also membership of the cricket/AFL ground in their capital city.

Anyone who swims across should be made a Member of Parliament for demonstrating extraordinary commitment to the speedos our PM is so fond of.

Australia's Next Top Refugee.

Alternatively, shrink the migration zone to the top of Ayer's Rock and put a big pile of passports there.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Mr Chips posted:

Or the backfire effect reinforces the myth that's being debunked.

In which case they were unlikely to be salvageable anyway.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

"By all means explain your position in whichever way you can" :munch:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:hurr:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

open24hours posted:

Who guessed puppet master? Someone should really start organising prizes.

Hello. :smug:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

If you don't want to make them a non-psychopath, you can point to the ways that certain things are economically a bad idea. Like offshore processing is needlessly expensive compared to onshore or community processing, while not acting as a deterrent.

This argument is ineffective as any economic rationality pales in comparison to the imagined opening-of-the-floodgates, slippery slope, burgeoning influx of The Brown Menace that inevitably follows from lax border protection and immigration policy. Any facts or statistics melt away in the face of Real Australians losing Real Jobs to Real Foreigners. Really though I think the asylum seeker / immigration issue has always and will always boil down to simple racism, and racism has always been impossible to eradicate. The world was shocked and outraged into an international rejection of it after WW2 but that lesson is fading with time, just like all lessons from history.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

someone post the hockey interview where he is a washing machine tia

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
There are loads of young british in Melbourne at the moment fleeing austerity measures.

Stop the economic migrants! Stop the Ryanair flights! Send the white menace home!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

cpaf posted:

This argument is ineffective as any economic rationality pales in comparison to the imagined opening-of-the-floodgates, slippery slope, burgeoning influx of The Brown Menace that inevitably follows from lax border protection and immigration policy. Any facts or statistics melt away in the face of Real Australians losing Real Jobs to Real Foreigners. Really though I think the asylum seeker / immigration issue has always and will always boil down to simple racism, and racism has always been impossible to eradicate. The world was shocked and outraged into an international rejection of it after WW2 but that lesson is fading with time, just like all lessons from history.

Well the least it gets is that they admit their racism. If they push the jobs angle, then it becomes broader about immigration and you move on to what hiddenmovement is on about, but more tactfully. Like how boat arrivals pale in comparison to plane arrivals, for legal and illegal immigrants (ie not talking about refugees here), so why is the mountain being sidelined for the mole hill.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
The other thing you walk out of politics with is a massive lifetime pension

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

Well the least it gets is that they admit their racism. If they push the jobs angle, then it becomes broader about immigration and you move on to what hiddenmovement is on about, but more tactfully. Like how boat arrivals pale in comparison to plane arrivals, for legal and illegal immigrants (ie not talking about refugees here), so why is the mountain being sidelined for the mole hill.

I think you're way too optimistic about receiving a rational response to a rational argument from someone who has created an irrational emotional argument on the foundation of racist beliefs.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/03/09/aus-sick-un-lectures-abbott

quote:

Australians are sick of being lectured on asylum seekers by the UN, which should acknowledge government successes, Tony Abbott says.

Tony Abbott has criticised the United Nations in the wake of a report condemning the government’s asylum seeker policies.

The report, due to be submitted to the UN Human Rights Council on Monday, stated that some policies have breached the United Nations Convention against Torture.

It was prepared by Juan Mendez, the UN special rapporteur on torture, and focused on concerns about Manus Island, as well as recent amendments to maritime laws.

Mr Abbott has rejected the allegations.

'I think the UN's representatives would have a lot more credibility if they were to give some credit to the Australian government'.
Speaking to reporters on Monday, he said the UN’s representative should give the government some credit.

“I think Australians are sick of being lectured to by the United Nations, particularly given that we have stopped the boats,” he said.

“The most humanitarian, the most decent, the most compassionate thing you can do is stop these boats.”

Mr Abbott also said the conditions on Manus Island were “reasonable, under all the circumstances”.

“All the basic needs of the people on Manus Island are being met,” he said.

"... Everyone's needs for food, for clothing, for shelter, for safety are being more than met"

Human Rights Law Centre director of legal advocacy Daniel Webb says the report finds detention of asylum seekers on Manus Island, and conditions at the centre, violate the convention.

"The torture convention prohibits subjecting people to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment," he said in a statement.

"The report confirms that by leaving people locked up indefinitely in appalling conditions on a remote island."

‘Australia is failing to meet this basic standard’.

New laws broadening maritime powers, introduced last year, also came under scrutiny.

Australia is found to have violated the convention with "arbitrary detention and refugee determination at sea, without access to lawyers".

The report is also critical of the government's incomplete responses to some allegations.

Mr Mendez, a lawyer and human rights activist, was tasked with investigating alleged violations of the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment around the world.

With AAP.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
e: fucken ^

Saw the ASRC facebook post, and thought "nah, that's can't be a real quote. Surely not."

welp

bold all
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...309-13z3j0.html

e2: instead, here's a nice juicy rebuke from the UN

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-09/un-reports-says-australia-breaching-torture-convention/6289892

Within the context of administrative immigration enforcement, it is now clear that the deprivation of liberty of children based on their or their parents’ migration status is never in the best interests of the child, exceeds the requirement of necessity, becomes grossly disproportionate and may constitute cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment of migrant children.

Following the advisory opinion of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights on the rights and guarantees of children in the context of migration and/or in need of international protection in 2014, the Special Rapporteur recalls the different procedural purposes between immigration and criminal proceedings, and that, in the words of the Court, “the offenses concerning the entry or stay in one country may not, under any circumstances, have the same or similar consequences to those derived from the commission of a crime.” The Special Rapporteur therefore concludes that the principle of ultima ratio that applies to juvenile criminal justice is not applicable to immigration proceedings. The deprivation of liberty of children based exclusively on immigration-related reasons exceeds the requirement of necessity because the measure is not absolutely essential to ensure the appearance of children at immigration proceedings or to implement a deportation order. Deprivation of liberty in this context can never be construed as a measure that complies with the child`s best interests.

Immigration detention practices across the globe, whether de jure or de facto, put children at risk of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. Furthermore, the detention of children who migrate to escape exploitation and abuse contravenes the duty of the State to promote the physical and psychological recovery of child victims in an appropriate environment. Therefore, States should, expeditiously and completely, cease the detention of children, with or without their parents, on the basis of their immigration status.

States should make clear in their legislation, policies and practices that the principle of the best interests of the child takes priority over migration policy and other administrative considerations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

cpaf posted:

I think you're way too optimistic about receiving a rational response to a rational argument from someone who has created an irrational emotional argument on the foundation of racist beliefs.

Maybe so.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Holy loving mother of god. Keep doubling down Tones. Not a single shred of self reflection.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
QUT plays sky news on the big tv's in Z block and the headline was "Abbott grandslams UN"

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Today's nomination for the most depressing comments section award: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-09/un-reports-says-australia-breaching-torture-convention/6289892

"IT'S NOT TORTURE IF WE GIVE THEM FOOD, WATER, AND MEDICAL TREATMENT"

...but we're hardly doing any of that if at all and tHATS THE GODDAMN ISSUE loving hell

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

hooman posted:

Holy loving mother of god. Keep doubling down Tones. Not a single shred of self reflection.

This isn't an issue that requires self-reflection, at least when it comes to political self-preservation.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Haha remember when we forgot to give that refugee medical treatment and he died from an easily preventable infection?
I sure don't.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The League of Nations has no place in dictating the deminingtarization of the rinehartland

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Can anyone else see Tony milking IS for a narrow election victory?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Our treatment of refugees is horrible, inhumane, impractical and entirely fueled by xenophobia, but to Australia's credit, it is intentional.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

SadisTech posted:

This won't change anyone's opinion. People who were already fine with our concentration camps aren't going to say "Oh well the UN says it's wrong, guess I better revise my thinking." Instead they'll go "Fucken UN leftists pushing their agenda of taking over the world/not letting human beings suffer horribly, who do they fucken think they are"

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
Liberals and the UN don't mix. Because NATIONALISM! MY COUNTRY IS BETTER THAN YOURS!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Seagull posted:

someone post the hockey interview where he is a washing machine tia

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vZknIj4Yre0

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Such a sensitive boy.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

so... much... spin... CAN'T HOLD ON.... ANY LONGER

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

Where the gently caress is that from, because I'm about 80% sure that guy works for the same company as me and I'd like him to burst into flames and die

TIA

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.

:justpost:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Harden up Margie.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Jibs Monteef posted:

Where the gently caress is that from, because I'm about 80% sure that guy works for the same company as me and I'd like him to burst into flames and die

TIA

Down with Gary and his pro self marriage ways!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

I wish I could figure out why this is so funny

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Late reply, but I am definitely being educated by the hilarious smackdowns Graic recieves everytime he posts.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Oh god at Abbott's comments to re: UN report. Majority of Australian's (for case study, see Graic Gabtar) won't give a gently caress due to the FYGM principle, but it's still awesome the rest of the world is seeing this for what it is.

Tony taking pages out of the DPRK guidebook for dealing with the UN is just another example of how you can't satirise Tones because he's entirely capable of the most ridiculous poo poo you can imagine.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Birdstrike posted:

Anyone who swims across should be made a Member of Parliament for demonstrating extraordinary commitment to the speedos our PM is so fond of.

And should be DNA tested to see if they are Harold Holt in a cunning disguise.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
New first dog.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
If anything can gently caress up the NSW election for the libs it's probably Hockey forcing all of the North Sydney Forums dirty laundry out in a court case because he had his feels hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Jibs Monteef posted:

TIA

Not sure sorry, just pulled it from Twitter. If you do happen to work with this guy punch him for me.

• Locked thread