Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RME
Feb 20, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

This doesn't seem right - this seems way better than the other three.

Its shock with instant speed discard, it always has a relevant mode.

this will go great in my blightning tribal edh deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

goferchan posted:

Weird side-note, but do yall think this is the format we'll see for creatures that can apply a once-per-turn self-buff from now on? Like, instead of Rootwalla's "~ gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn." we would see "~'s base power and toughness become 4 until end of turn" -- it saves some space on a card, which in my understanding is at a premium for designers. Also, unless there's a rules interaction I'm unaware of, it achieves exactly the same effect

Layers mean they are entirely different.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tell me Dromoka's Command isn't going to be cmc 6

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

goferchan posted:

Weird side-note, but do yall think this is the format we'll see for creatures that can apply a once-per-turn self-buff from now on? Like, instead of Rootwalla's "~ gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn." we would see "~'s base power and toughness become 4 until end of turn" -- it saves some space on a card, which in my understanding is at a premium for designers. Also, unless there's a rules interaction I'm unaware of, it achieves exactly the same effect

Its there so you don't use it twice.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rinkles posted:

I don't want to lie to you, rinkles-kun, but I think you might have cracked the code.

Maybe it'll have a wrath effect on it then, living the dream of being austere command 2.0

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

Its there so you don't use it twice.

I think you can activate that ability one time.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

goferchan posted:

I think it's like lifelink versus "whenever ~ deals damage, you gain that much life". Reprints of old cards won't use that wording because that would technically be functional errata, but new cards will use the new templating from now on.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rabidsquid posted:

I think you can activate that ability one time.

You can activate it as many times as you want, it just doesn't do anything after the first.

Its probably better to evaluate Formidable cards by pretending the second ability isn't there. Its win-more poo poo outside of topdecking it in a limited standoff.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

RME posted:

this will go great in my blightning tribal edh deck

this gimmick stopped being funny a while ago

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

You can activate it as many times as you want, it just doesn't do anything after the first.

Its probably better to evaluate Formidable cards by pretending the second ability isn't there. Its win-more poo poo outside of topdecking it in a limited standoff.

Idk, some of the boards at the GP in green white mirrors were pretty insane.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

it's going to be CMC 1

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Elyv posted:

this gimmick stopped being funny a while ago

Less annoying than people replying every time with this & talking about it IMO

Very happy with Kolaghans Command, not expecting much from Dromokas but who knows with the GW madness today

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

dragon enthusiast posted:

it's going to be CMC 1

1 G/W hybrid cost.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

goferchan posted:

I like the way that sounds a lot better than having a bunch of abilities that read "use this only once per turn", but it doesn't work the same way rules wise. If I activate Rootwalla and you Snakeform my Rootwalla at any point, Rootwalla will end up being a 3/3. It will be a 1/1 and the +2/+2 will still apply. If i give it base power 4, then Snakeform later in the turn will override that and Rootwalla will be a 1/1.. So they're not functionally the same, but designers may choose to use the setting base power/toughness template in the future anyway because it is more intuitive rules-wise.

On a side note, I really love the art for Crater Elemental, it is a giant walking cauldron of lava.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Four Score posted:

1 G/W hybrid cost.

Choose two:

- gain all the life
- play all your permanents
- get all the mana
- each opponent concedes

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

dragon enthusiast posted:

it's going to be CMC 1

Just noticed your username and that you only started posting in this thread a week ago. Gimmick account 5 years in the making?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mercury Crusader posted:

Choose two:

- gain all the life
- play all your permanents
- get all the mana
- each opponent concedes

I didn't know they were reprinting Mirari's Wake but that's a pretty cool card.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Just noticed your username and that you only started posting in this thread a week ago. Gimmick account 5 years in the making?

scourge was the best set of magic

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Rinkles posted:

it's gonna be shiiiiiiiiit

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Aisar posted:

it's gonna be shiiiiiiiiit

It'll be CMC 7 and fog for only tokens. Oh wait there already is a poo poo G/W rare that does that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
A bit of trivia that occurs to me: last time, 4 out of 5 Commands were sorceries. This time, at least 4 out of 5 are instants.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

I guess it could be XGW and not suck??????? probably gonna suck tho sorry yall

edit: I get that there has to be lovely rares but a cycle of an iconic card type shouldn't ever suck

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think all of the commands so far are really good (especially the blue ones) and people need to lower their expectations from Cryptic command power levels

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I could imagine it having a wrath+tokens function, that would be sweet.

e: also, Soulfire Grand Master + Kolaghan's Command (Mardu colours) results in a pretty nasty lock for 7 mana.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 9, 2015

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Wezlar posted:

I think all of the commands so far are really good (especially the blue ones) and people need to lower their expectations from Cryptic command power levels

this is probably true, but can you blame me for being a little disappointed that the best one is a slightly upgraded skullcrack

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think an instant speed wrath for 6 is happening on a modal spell/spell w/ one white symbol, no matter how conditional.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Aisar posted:

this is probably true, but can you blame me for being a little disappointed that the best one is a slightly upgraded skullcrack

Yeah the red green one definitely lacks excitement but I think if the deck and mana work right it will feel really powerful when you play it.

I think the red/black one might actually be the worst of the 4 previewed so far because the times in the game when you want the discard/gravedigger and the times when the shock is useful might not line up very well.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wezlar posted:

I think the red/black one might actually be the worst of the 4 previewed so far because the times in the game when you want the discard/gravedigger and the times when the shock is useful might not line up very well.

On the other hand, it's going to give you card advantage more consistently than some of the others. The problem is that it's four fairly weak effects - Shock, Smash, Disentomb, Stop That - while Ojutai's Command feels like you're getting your mana's worth if you meet the conditions to cast it.

I can imagine some blowouts with Kolaghan's Command if artifacts become more popular in Standard, because then you'll be more likely to exploit this for full value.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Wezlar posted:

Yeah the red green one definitely lacks excitement but I think if the deck and mana work right it will feel really powerful when you play it.

I agree that the R/B command is probably the worst so far. I'm surprised it costs 3 while the G/R one costs only 2.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Aisar posted:

I guess it could be XGW and not suck??????? probably gonna suck tho sorry yall

edit: I get that there has to be lovely rares but a cycle of an iconic card type shouldn't ever suck

Uh... Bolster X is not broken by any measure...

Put a +1/+1 counter on up to X target creatures would be fine, and actually has neat interactions with that first bolster mode.

Tap up to X target creatures would be a glimpse the sun god w/o scry and at +1 cost but with a ridiculous upside considering.

You gain X life is muscling in on Ojutai command.

Some kind of graveyard retrieval would also be cutting into ojutai. Maybe if it went straight to the battlefield? that seems more like an Abzan thing than a Dromoka thing though...

Up to X creatures gain indestructible as a wrath protection that also buffs your team/weakest minion?

3 mana for "target creature is indestructible, bolster one" is a pretty fair combat trick...

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
In the mode of shock + anything else, it compares pretty closely to Electrolyze, a known Good Card. Upsides: Lets you contextually choose how you want your extra card's worth of advantage. Can use two of the non-burn modes if you need to. Downsides: Isn't blue, and doesn't just let you cantrip if you need to. Doesn't let you split the damage if they have two 1-toughness dorks.

I think it'll be quite playable if there is a deck reliably making those colors of mana. It's not a blue Command, but what else is?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dragon Roar
1R
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Dragon Roar, you may reveal a Dragon card from your hand.

Dragon Roar deals 3 damage to target creature. If you revealed a Dragon card or controlled a Dragon as you cast Dragon Roar, Dragon Roar deals 3 damage to that creature's controller
---

That's a lot of text in the German version

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh gently caress yes.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Searing Blood copies 5-8?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Fus Roh Dah the card.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rimusutera posted:

Fus Roh Dah the card.

YOL TOOR SHUL

:colbert:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

goferchan posted:

It doesn't show on this guy, but the classic interaction with Rootwalla abilities is to wait for them to activate, then shock/bolt in response; this templating would allow you to reactivate and save your dude.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

This guy gets it.

Cool card is cool. At worst, more removal for limited

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

Dragon Roar
1R
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Dragon Roar, you may reveal a Dragon card from your hand.

Dragon Roar deals 3 damage to target creature. If you revealed a Dragon card or controlled a Dragon as you cast Dragon Roar, Dragon Roar deals 3 damage to that creature's controller
---

That's a lot of text in the German version

I don't know why they're using the past participle forms for their verbs instead of the simple past. Most German writing doesn't use the "haben + past-participle" form when talking about past events specifically because it takes up more space. :shrug:

That having been said, Dragon Blaze. :woop: Great in limited. Useless in constructed with the possible exception of red agro that tops out at Thunderbreak Regent + Stormbreath. I would probably still rather run Roast, though. =\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like Shock + Raise Dead is gonna be the modes chosen on Kola's Command like 90% of the time.

• Locked thread