Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Carsius posted:

The best way to capture zinogre is using shock traps. :eng101:

On the subject of themes, I think they're worth it, as long as they're enjoyable enough. I got the palico one to go with my MH n3dsxl.

Best way to disrupt Nargacuga is a sonic bomb

I miss that angry bat cat thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Carsius posted:

The best way to capture zinogre is using shock traps. :eng101:

On the subject of themes, I think they're worth it, as long as they're enjoyable enough. I got the palico one to go with my MH n3dsxl.

My cat loving laid a shock trap at the beginning of the fight and Zinogre gained a charge from it and wrecked me afterwards. I respectfully disagree.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Sard posted:

Gathering hall hijackers are the real monsters.

What's the etiquette there? If you join a gathering hall, are you expected to never post quests and only join the owner's quests? Or is it OK to post one of your own after going on a few of the owner's?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Thoom posted:

What's the etiquette there? If you join a gathering hall, are you expected to never post quests and only join the owner's quests? Or is it OK to post one of your own after going on a few of the owner's?

Polite to ask first. I don't personally care but some people get really really upset about someone posting a quest in THEIR ROOM

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

When it says Looking for Rare Materials and set to Zinogre, then no I'm not helping you with your drat urgent.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

gigawhite posted:

Polite to ask first. I don't personally care but some people get really really upset about someone posting a quest in THEIR ROOM

I'd love to see somebody get actually upset and try to angrychat in this game :allears:

"U NO WAT"

It's what, a 16 character limit per individual message?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i had a room set for 2* gathering quests (yes, i am that guy that likes to do all the dumb quests and get the stupid gold check) and a guy jumped in and immediately queued his gore urgent. i said no find another room and he begged me for a minute until 2 more people joined and the 3 of us picked a gathering quest.

basically just dont be that guy

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Thoom posted:

The latter. Try to keep track of who is posting in what order. If it is always the same guy it is probably a premade so you might want to ask. If it looks like people are taking turns with a non urgent then just take your spot in line.

Oh ya don't post a non hunt quest either!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Relic Talk: Are relics even worth polishing? Because chances are, their normal counterparts have better other things than just high numbers. I only ask because I've often wondered what value beyond high numbers the relics bring.

Balbanes
May 21, 2007
44z red pots~

widespread posted:

Relic Talk: Are relics even worth polishing? Because chances are, their normal counterparts have better other things than just high numbers. I only ask because I've often wondered what value beyond high numbers the relics bring.

Starting at Rank 8 they can be quite nice.

I got a Dragon Mail X chest-piece with +5 Edgemaster on it and it started around 97 defense. Threw on my upgraded Skull Visage and at +10 its basically Attack Up XL and Sharpness +1 off of just two pieces.

Also got a Rank 8 charge blade with 1180 raw 400 blast which has been pretty great and beats out any crafted blast blades.

As far trash relics, you can pretty much polish them to trade them in for the higher rank armor stones and lots of caravan points.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Balbanes posted:

Starting at Rank 8 they can be quite nice.

I got a Dragon Mail X chest-piece with +5 Edgemaster on it and it started around 97 defense. Threw on my upgraded Skull Visage and at +10 its basically Attack Up XL and Sharpness +1 off of just two pieces.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I'm guessing Rarity 8, you mean? Or when you get 8-star stuff or something?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also @new guy: you can tranq with one bomb even after burning two, tranq is essentially a "status" that persists on the monster for a while so if you can set up another trap fast enough you can tranq it with just one bomb

Also if youre cool with wasting tranqs to ensure kills you can do the same with, when seeing a monster is limping, tossing two tranqs at it to "pre-load" the capture by only needing one toss to ensure it's capped

In either case you should be taking 8 bombs with you per hunt since it's taking up a slot anyways, if you're gonna bring an item always bring max allowable since you're giving up the item slot anyways and you never know

Balbanes
May 21, 2007
44z red pots~

widespread posted:

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I'm guessing Rarity 8, you mean? Or when you get 8-star stuff or something?

Yes, sorry, meant Rarity 8. I hear Rank, Rarity, and Tier interchanged so much it drives me crazy.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I've been playing charge blade since I started (and decided it was the most fun) and I have yet to cut off a single mons tale. I'm at the urgent quest in the 4 star list (technically this makes it a 5 star quest) so I don't know how many tails I've missed so far. Is there a reason I stink at it so bad when I pretty much always cut it off using longsword in MH3U? It's not like I'm not aiming for it but I feel like I would have at least accidentally cut one off by now if I wasn't trying.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DaveKap posted:

So I've been playing charge blade since I started (and decided it was the most fun) and I have yet to cut off a single mons tale. I'm at the urgent quest in the 4 star list (technically this makes it a 5 star quest) so I don't know how many tails I've missed so far. Is there a reason I stink at it so bad when I pretty much always cut it off using longsword in MH3U? It's not like I'm not aiming for it but I feel like I would have at least accidentally cut one off by now if I wasn't trying.

The super/aed does impact and not cutting damage

So when going for a tail cut charge your shield and get five phials, morph to axe mode and just do the x+a combo over and over, voila freshly cut tail

But yeah that's why you're not getting tail cuts

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh wait I just check the 4* caravan quests, literally the only mons tail you could have cut was raths

You could've broken zamtrios' tail and broke the mud on tetsus but that's it

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Balbanes posted:

Yes, sorry, meant Rarity 8. I hear Rank, Rarity, and Tier interchanged so much it drives me crazy.

It's fine.

As for the actual relics from a recent Everwood hunt (drat King's Frill), I got a Ludroth Helm with a Withdrawn Jewel, and a War Basher with a free slot.
Readiness sounds kinda crap, in all honesty.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Toxxupation posted:

Oh wait I just check the 4* caravan quests, literally the only mons tail you could have cut was raths

You could've broken zamtrios' tail and broke the mud on tetsus but that's it

the gore everwood quest is 4* so there's that too

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Can you get the tail cut before you repel gore, I don't remember

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

The super/aed does impact and not cutting damage

So when going for a tail cut charge your shield and get five phials, morph to axe mode and just do the x+a combo over and over, voila freshly cut tail

But yeah that's why you're not getting tail cuts

I've definitely cut tails with the UEB before

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eyeless ceiling thunder dragon is annoying as hell.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Relics are usually nothing to write home about but in the very beginning of the game I got a hunting horn which, having kept it upgraded, still outclasses everything else I can make. Higher damage, a defense boost, and the red/white/blue notes which have a ton of useful songs. It'll fall off when I reach the purple notes though

There's a lot of stats for the RNG to hit but when they align nicely they really click.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

dragon enthusiast posted:

I've definitely cut tails with the UEB before

The hits themselves still do cutting damage but the extra explosions from phials do not

Thus triggering super aed just does more damage that doesn't contribute to tail cut

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I decided to finally check out a video tutorial on the charge blade because I knew I was missing something considering the control instructions (which don't quite make sense to my tiny brain) made it seem like I was missing out on something.

Turns out I've been playing this whole time without charging my shield. :downs: Despite that, I still manage to kill everything pretty fantastically so I'm excited to jump back in tonight and just kill stuff even faster.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I didn't know you could charge the shield and neither did a friend of mine who uses charge blade. I found out from the gaijinhunter video and told my friend. Either the game never explains it or they explain it poorly.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I didn't know you could charge the shield and neither did a friend of mine who uses charge blade. I found out from the gaijinhunter video and told my friend. Either the game never explains it or they explain it poorly.

pretty sure they don't actually explain it anywhere, which is crazy because it's like charge axe 101

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's in weapon combos

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

What's the best way to earn money? The cost of G Rank weapons and armor has taken away all my savings and I don't have many more spare monster parts to sell.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Might have fallen through the cracks somewhere since you couldn't even charge the shield in vanilla MH4

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Is there any way to make a dudes head hair the same colour as the built in beard on the old dude with beard face? I'm colourblind so if someone could give it to me in clicks with the D-Pad from one of the preset colours that would be great.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah it took me forever to work it out too, also you get bonus damage when attacking with your shield charged, and it's the only way to do the super attack.

Hit X+A or do a 3A combo in axe mode and press R halfway through the swing > Get full phials again > Change to axe > X+A with a charged shield to unload absolutely everything.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Trying to extract some orange essence my bug landed the killing blow on a Tigrex. The mighty Tigrex, felled by a butterfly!

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Okay Gypceros, go ahead, peck me while im down.

Please stop pecking me while im down gypceros :(

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Well balls, a three Slot Talisman with +7 Charmer. Looks like this is going to be a lucky game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Talkc posted:

Okay Gypceros, go ahead, peck me while im down.

Please stop pecking me while im down gypceros :(

you can do the same thing to him :D

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

EthanSteele posted:

Is there any way to make a dudes head hair the same colour as the built in beard on the old dude with beard face? I'm colourblind so if someone could give it to me in clicks with the D-Pad from one of the preset colours that would be great.

The white beard face with the scar on one eye, right? It seems hard to get it to match perfectly since hair is so shiny in this game, but 14 clicks right on the d-pad from the bottom left of the color palette is the closest I can manage

Edit: Actually, going from there all the way to the top (or starting at the top left and doing 14 clicks right) might be a little better

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 9, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Elysiume posted:

Shield charging was not in 4 but added in 4U, they probably just never updated the tutorials.

Cb got so many buffs in U.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Thoom posted:

If the room is marked for something, that's what the room is for unless the host hasn't figured out the gong. Best to ask first and only after joining in a few hunts. I just had two players from France hop in my room, immediately beg to do a completely unrelated thing, then later after I had posted again they posted a third further unrelated thing and left on the hunt before I thought to kick them. So the fourth guy and I just left and I resumed waiting for people to do uncommon cantina/wyporium quests with.

I was boring a hole in my screen hatestaring the one who saw a room-related post already up and had the fetal alcohol mentality to post something entirely different anyway. It's dumb but strangers being rude on the Internet are the worst.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Also @new guy: you can tranq with one bomb even after burning two, tranq is essentially a "status" that persists on the monster for a while so if you can set up another trap fast enough you can tranq it with just one bomb

Also if youre cool with wasting tranqs to ensure kills you can do the same with, when seeing a monster is limping, tossing two tranqs at it to "pre-load" the capture by only needing one toss to ensure it's capped

In either case you should be taking 8 bombs with you per hunt since it's taking up a slot anyways, if you're gonna bring an item always bring max allowable since you're giving up the item slot anyways and you never know

ahahahaha, so I coulda caught him anyway. drat it. I didn't think it was worth trying. thanks for this, though!

and I do usually fill up my items but plum forgot this particular hunt. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

ahahahaha, so I coulda caught him anyway. drat it. I didn't think it was worth trying. thanks for this, though!

and I do usually fill up my items but plum forgot this particular hunt. :shrug:

make use of the new item set feature and make it a habit to hit it before you go out.

• Locked thread