Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'll pay the $10,000 and then keep dickbutt as my watch face 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm kind of digging the Verge's sarcastically cynical updates on their live blog regarding the watch.

quote:

NILAY PATEL11:04:59 AM PDT
Apple has reached the "forced fake Q&A with celebrities" portion of its keynote lifecycle.

quote:

NILAY PATEL11:06:47 AM PDT
I'm just saying that you could put this part of the event directly into any Samsung event, and it would be exactly the same.

quote:

NILAY PATEL11:09:46 AM PDT
Press the crown to access Siri. Two drinks.

quote:

NILAY PATEL11:11:48 AM PDT
Double-tap side button to bring up Apple Pay. Drink

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
If i'm paying $10k I want my watch to not be a $349 watch in a nicer body.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

The Devil Tesla posted:

I was waiting for this. Of course it's 10k it's solid gold.

Solid gold is extremely malleable, drat thing is going to melt from the heat of the processor.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They should have spent more than 10k on this commercial.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well I'm definitely getting a new Apple TV.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Super Dude posted:

Watch comes out April 24th, I wonder when preorder is.

April 10th, as he said like 1 slide earlier.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't much care about the gold price, but making the base one that fits me be $399 is rough.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
From Apple: a completely innovative new way for Russian oligarchs to launder money.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Kobayashi posted:

Well I'm definitely getting a new Apple TV.

Wait poo poo. Why is there a new ATV? I bought my sister the previous gen for Christmas.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

neonnoodle posted:

From Apple: a completely innovative new way for Russian oligarchs to launder money.

agreed, no one should make expensive things

Phalex
May 14, 2002

Don't tell them to stand up, Tim. The watch does that now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rabble posted:

Solid gold is extremely malleable, drat thing is going to melt from the heat of the processor.

What Apple has done is produce a new patented alloy that contains less gold per volume while retaining the same 3:1 ratio and 18K classification. The other material isn't one of the standard metals used in alloys; it's ceramic, which is less dense. Dr. Drang on Leancrew explains this in more detail (emphasis ours):

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-watch-special-gold-ceramic-alloy-2015-3#ixzz3Tun4fvMe

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Please everyone pat yourselves on the back

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Let's be real, $10,000 is a small price to pay for beauty.

Now, if only Apple would release a beautiful watch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ziploc posted:

Wait poo poo. Why is there a new ATV? I bought my sister the previous gen for Christmas.
no, but it got a price drop to $69

horse mans posted:

agreed, no one should make expensive things

you couldn't be a bigger shill if you were literally Tim Cook

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

The Dave posted:

What Apple has done is produce a new patented alloy that contains less gold per volume while retaining the same 3:1 ratio and 18K classification. The other material isn't one of the standard metals used in alloys; it's ceramic, which is less dense. Dr. Drang on Leancrew explains this in more detail (emphasis ours):

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-watch-special-gold-ceramic-alloy-2015-3#ixzz3Tun4fvMe

So it's not real gold...got it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Dave posted:

hahahaha so it's not even solid gold

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol if you were going to buy a watch, at any price point.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Rabble posted:

Just buy another one when it stops working.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Me picking up my 10k Apple Watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsCIfUPXQcg

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

smackfu posted:

I don't much care about the gold price, but making the base one that fits me be $399 is rough.

This costs $200. Get it together with Wear Google, I expect some good poo poo very soon.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Endless Mike posted:

Now, if only Apple would release a beautiful watch.

Taking a camera crew to Africa to run a marathon with a watch is beauty by association.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Oh man, that page with goons screaming about $1000 for a watch being too much after Tim announced that it's 10k is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

The Devil Tesla posted:

lol if you were going to buy a watch, at any price point.

Gonna get the Cheap 42mm one dude. The TomTom GPS watch with heart rate monitoring is about the same price.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Ziploc posted:

There isn't, it's just cheaper now $69.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

NILAY PATEL11:26:23 AM PDT
The music behind this stainless steel video is like the best New Order song ever.

quote:

NILAY PATEL11:27:06 AM PDT
New Wave Doom Steel is a really good name for a band.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Rabble posted:

I'm sure it will stand up to the 30 minutes the watch will track your movement before turning off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So no one's actually buying this poo poo, right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I was ready to preorder if this thing were reasonably water resistant and had some way of tracking fitness without being tethered to a phone, but it looks like a nope on both counts so I'll check back for gen 2.

New macbook looks fantastic though.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

neonnoodle posted:

I bought this $10,000 watch last year, but it is already obsolete, what else could I do?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Rabble posted:

Gonna get the Cheap 42mm one dude. The TomTom GPS watch with heart rate monitoring is about the same price.

TomTom GPS watch w/ the heart rate monitoring doesn't require to be paired with an iPhone to work.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

kimcicle posted:

TomTom GPS watch w/ the heart rate monitoring doesn't require to be paired with an iPhone to work.

True. Could also just get a Pebble Time to do all of this same stuff for $200.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

This costs $200. Get it together with Wear Google, I expect some good poo poo very soon.

The only idea worse than buying an apple watch is buying an android watch.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ziploc posted:

I have the first gen black hockey puck, which doesn't get OS updates anymore.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So no one's actually buying this poo poo, right?

I am 100% sure there are rappers and sports stars ready to pre-order right now. The high end one is for sale in the same way those solid gold phones that cost 100k are. They are made to so people can see them on famous people arms, and want one. Then buy the lower cost one.

Is it worth it? I would say no. But if I had a Hit music album, loved the lime light, and wanted free press, I would buy one and make a big deal that I had one too.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I'm right some of the time. :colbert:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Bottom Liner posted:

you couldn't be a bigger shill if you were literally Tim Cook

i know, it's so shillish for me to expect things made of solid gold to be expensive. that drat reality distortion field

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
SO wait, can the bands "made" for the regular watch not be used on the Sport watch? I'd think the bands can be used on any watch, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

horse mans posted:

i know, it's so shillish for me to expect things made of solid gold to be expensive. that drat reality distortion field

lol keep going

• Locked thread