Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

It's still there, just with ads.

8.2 is out. Holy crap is that icon for the Apple Watch App (a new default stock app you can't delete) ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Feenix posted:

8.2 is out. Holy crap is that icon for the Apple Watch App (a new default stock app you can't delete) ugly.

Really, another default app?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Feenix posted:

Agreed. It's REALLY ugly. And yes, it's a default app. Can chuck it in a folder, but can't get rid of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why would anyone want to hide one of Apple's glorious apps? They've won awards for design, you know!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I don't know why they didn't put it on the store, it's not like they don't already have a collection of apps made by them and an ability to offer it the first time you open the app store.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

carry on then posted:

I don't know why they didn't put it on the store, it's not like they don't already have a collection of apps made by them and an ability to offer it the first time you open the app store.

Or they could just prompt you to install it when you try to connect a watch to the phone.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i take it there's no way to get rid of this atrocious new app?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ICHIBAHN posted:

i take it there's no way to get rid of this atrocious new app?
Nope. Owned sperg.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Nope. Owned sperg.

jokes on you, i love the app

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ICHIBAHN posted:

jokes on you, i love the app
[img-theintalianspidermanguyreaction.webm]

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Super Dude posted:

Or they could just prompt you to install it when you try to connect a watch to the phone.

The world's second most profitable company ain't gonna get to the top without upselling all their existing customers. :colbert:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bronin posted:

Same here. I love that I don't need iTunes. Haven't even installed it ever (relatively new iPhone user here). Plugging in stuff is for old people.

Yeah, you know, except for full backups. Please do full backups.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Why would I need iTunes for that? iCloud backup works fine. I've restored several times from it with no issues.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

Why?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

One backup is really the same as no backup. Two backups is the same as one... and so on.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

One backup is really the same as no backup. Two backups is the same as one... and so on.
What?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm with you, what the hell does that have to do with doing backups with iTunes?

If you think Apple has only one full-backup ever of their hosted service (iCloud), I suppose it would make sense.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

flosofl posted:

I'm with you, what the hell does that have to do with doing backups with iTunes?

If you think Apple has only one full-backup ever of their hosted service (iCloud), I suppose it would make sense.

He's basically saying since you can make two backups, do it. Couldn't hurt things to have a backup backup.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

He's basically saying since you can make two backups, do it. Couldn't hurt things to have a backup backup.

Yup, but seriously iCloud backups involve certain tradeoffs and I guess if you're willing to make those tradeoffs instead of installing iTunes then that's cool too. I don't think iCloud backups are insecure.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
My wife's iphone (and ipad) stopped syncing yahoo mail this afternoon. I've tried deleting and re-adding the account but it didn't help. Both devices have been updated to ios 8.3.1. I didn't turn up much helpful information on Google. Any troubleshooting advice would be much appreciated.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

vulturesrow posted:

Both devices have been updated to ios 8.3.1.

8.2 was just released today. Are they running betas of 8.3?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

tuyop posted:

Yup, but seriously iCloud backups involve certain tradeoffs and I guess if you're willing to make those tradeoffs instead of installing iTunes then that's cool too. I don't think iCloud backups are insecure.

Could you elaborate on those trade offs? Only thing that comes to mind is the 5GB limit if you don't pay for more storage.

iCloud back up worked like a charm the 3 or 4 times I used it. Seriously, coming from android the first time I restored an iPhone with a backup was like some kinda magic.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

CaptainCaveman posted:

8.2 was just released today. Are they running betas of 8.3?

Sorry 8.2 is correct.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bronin posted:

Could you elaborate on those trade offs? Only thing that comes to mind is the 5GB limit if you don't pay for more storage.

iCloud back up worked like a charm the 3 or 4 times I used it. Seriously, coming from android the first time I restored an iPhone with a backup was like some kinda magic.

When you restore from an encrypted iTunes backup, your home screen layouts are restored, all your texts and emails and everything else from the time of your backup are restored, all your app data (saved games, files) and apps are restored without redownloading, including their login credentials (encrypted only), all of your music and photos are restored. It's seamless.

The downsides are: iTunes (especially on Windows), HDD space (iTunes requires that your backups are stored locally in the system drive unless you do a workaround with symbolic links), the time a backup/restore takes (the restore can take like three hours depending on your music), having to plug it in because wifi sync/backup has never worked properly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

When you restore from an encrypted iTunes backup, your home screen layouts are restored, all your texts and emails and everything else from the time of your backup are restored, all your app data (saved games, files) and apps are restored without redownloading, including their login credentials (encrypted only), all of your music and photos are restored. It's seamless.

Same with an iCloud backup, except for the fact all apps are downloaded again. But settings, credentials, data, all that stuff is there after a restore from iCloud.

The having to redownload sucks because it takes more time, but still sucks less that using iTunes.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, iCloud backups have always done that. Almost every year I pick up my iPhone and let it restore to a backup while I'm at work.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Does iCloud backup safe wifi passphrases and other passwords now? I know doing an encrypted backup via iTunes does.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yep, that's on iCloud keychain now. Enter a new wifi password and the login gets synched to all devices.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Well, I mean, you'd need to remember whatever wifi password you'd use to connect to wifi to connect to iCloud.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
In my experience, restoring from iCloud is markedly easier than restoring from an iTunes backup.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are the people in the anti-plug crowd just never offloading their videos? I'd have run out of space a long time ago if I wasn't plugging the phone to my computer now and then.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Minidust posted:

Are the people in the anti-plug crowd just never offloading their videos? I'd have run out of space a long time ago if I wasn't plugging the phone to my computer now and then.

Airdrop works pretty drat well for offloading photos and videos.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Minidust posted:

Carousel, Photos Beta, OneDrive, etc. all work as offloading photos/videos. I haven't plugged my phone into my Macbook for years.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Minidust posted:

I use AirDrop to move things like that to and from my iDevices.

I'm not saying iTunes doesn't work perfectly well for some people. It just using it to manage the iPhone and iPad irritates me enough that I actively seek out alternatives to using it. The only thing I ever use iTunes for (other than media playback) is managing Smart Playlists because those rock. With iTunes Match sub, the playlists are propagated automatically to my iPad/iPhone so no sync is required.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

iTunes is way better now than it was in the past. I hated using it with my iPod, hated using it with my iPhone 3G, but now it's cool. No complaints... yet. I actually use it as a music player now, but to be fair, it's replacing Winamp 5.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

tuyop posted:

The downsides are: iTunes (especially on Windows), HDD space (iTunes requires that your backups are stored locally in the system drive unless you do a workaround with symbolic links), the time a backup/restore takes (the restore can take like three hours depending on your music), having to plug it in because wifi sync/backup has never worked properly.

Also I believe you also need to have all the apps on your phone downloaded and in iTunes or they won't be restored. At least that was my experience when trying to upgrade to my iPhone 6.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Minidust posted:

Or they have a 128 GB phone. :smuggo:

I'd probably run out of iCloud space well before that so it's not very well thought through on my part, yeah.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really take many videos, but I have a 64 GB phone and have plenty of available space, so I don't really think too much about them. They're all auto-backed up in iCloud anyway, *shrug*.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

lelandjs posted:

Airdrop works pretty drat well for offloading photos and videos.
Windows 7 PC over here! That sounds pretty slick though.

maduin posted:

Carousel, Photos Beta, OneDrive, etc. all work as offloading photos/videos. I haven't plugged my phone into my Macbook for years.
I can see the benefit, but it most cases I actually want the videos to end up on my computer anyway. I could upload and then download but really plugging in is easy enough.

fordan posted:

Also I believe you also need to have all the apps on your phone downloaded and in iTunes or they won't be restored. At least that was my experience when trying to upgrade to my iPhone 6.
Nah, that's the default behavior for some reason but you can change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bronin posted:

Same here. I love that I don't need iTunes. Haven't even installed it ever (relatively new iPhone user here). Plugging in stuff is for old people.

Really the only downside for Google Music is no Last.FM scrobbling :spergin: