Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Killer Queen posted:

Except the 90 million!!!!! apps boasting is nothing but marketing nonsense effectively, since most iPhone/iPad users never use 99% of the cool apps beyond their latest Facebook games, Netflix, and Tinder. You've just proven my point. It really doesn't matter how supported the app ecosystem is for a given device when that isn't why consumers buy them. If a smart watch reads off your email subject headers and shows notifications for sports and stocks in an intuitive, easy to grasp way, then that's most of what the mass market (your uncle, sister, and dad) wants and needs. It's super cool to have a greater library of apps for tech enthusiasts, but that's not what moves units.

The other focal point of why it's irrelevant is because a smart watch still isn't truly useful. It's an expensive toy. A wide variety of sweet apps isn't as applicable on a watch vs. my iPhone. Why do I need a device on my wrist to do the same things that my phone does and still dies after a day of usage?

You are super out of touch with the average joe because those people don't check stocks or email (most people don't even keep email on their bottom taskbar) with any regularity. Highlighting social media, games, Netflix, etc just goes to show that people do use Apple devices for more than their base functionality (a phone for calling and texting). You'd better believe people will be using these to scroll through Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook feeds while playing games and stuff too. I'm not saying it's a great device for it, I'm just saying the app store makes it a superior product to the Android counterparts because there are more apps and they are all designed better than the Android counterparts (this is everyone's biggest complaint of the Android phone and tablet apps too).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Logikv9 posted:

If you're buying a >$349 dollar smartwatch you better be using it for something other than time.

Being seen with a better-than-sport apple watch is an app all of its own.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

gret posted:

So will the Apple Watch, especially if you're happy with just using it to tell time. Remember, quartz watches also need periodic battery replacements.
Apple watches will follow the standard apple mantra of "newer is better" and if you can afford a $10k watch you can afford one a year.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Let's be honest, the Gold edition is Apple's first party version of this

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Frankly I'd be afraid to wear an Apple Watch around certain parts of the city I live in.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I was at work, how much are the three watches?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Mister Macys posted:

I was at work, how much are the three watches?

$350-$17,000

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The biggest problem isn't the silly price tag, but the fact that it looks tacky as hell. How on earth could Apple design something this ugly?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why are you guys still talking about watches when their laptop stuff is honestly like loving shocking. They apparently believe so much in the new, non-clicky, Force Touch trackpad that they didn't just put it in the new macbook but in the retina Macbook Pros as well. I'm really curious about how it feels if it's not just good for a thin laptop, but apparently better than what already was the best trackpad in any laptop. Really loving skeptical but there are some new features in the trackpad (like vibrating when you snap something into place) that I guess they wanted all their retina laptops to do. It looks like the butterfly switches aren't making it over to the pros however, which makes me less excited about how those feel.

teagone posted:

What's funny is that dongle costs more than an Apple TV.

That's actually really cheap for what amounts to a one plug dock (you used to pay hundreds for something like that), and a different company will probably make a cooler and more cost effective one.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

tropical posted:

I was wondering the same thing but I stumbled upon this (1x hdmi, 1x usb 3.1, 1x usb-c): http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Ok that doesn't really solve any problems unless you want a/v out

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Super Dude posted:

$350-$17,000

:eyepop:

What the gently caress, is the glass made of a single loving diamond?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hace posted:

a/v out is problem solved? Also some other company is going to come out with a splitter that you can charge with, if that's what you're looking for, and it's not going to be so pricey.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Mister Macys posted:

It's Apple's sorta-gold with a "bright red modern buckle."

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-watch/apple-watch-edition?product=MJ3G2LL/A&step=detail

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I just backed a pebble time steel. I like the look of the steel apple but can't afford to pay that and don't want to buy a sport and get less quality housing and glass. Plus the Pebble Time has way better battery life and isn't a 1st gen device.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hace posted:

It solves the problem of, "I want to keep a display and a backup drive on my desk to use with my laptop when I'm home, and keep the laptop charging." And does it with one plug, which is better than the current MacBook Air.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Mister Macys posted:

The watch body is made of gold. Gold is expensive.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Why are you guys still talking about watches when their laptop stuff is honestly like loving shocking. They apparently believe so much in the new, non-clicky, Force Touch trackpad that they didn't just put it in the new macbook but in the retina Macbook Pros as well. I'm really curious about how it feels if it's not just good for a thin laptop, but apparently better than what already was the best trackpad in any laptop. Really loving skeptical but there are some new features in the trackpad (like vibrating when you snap something into place) that I guess they wanted all their retina laptops to do. It looks like the butterfly switches aren't making it over to the pros however, which makes me less excited about how those feel.

That's actually really cheap for what amounts to a one plug dock (you used to pay hundreds for something like that), and a different company will probably make a cooler and more cost effective one.

Yeah I'm really interested to see what both the keyboard and trackpad are like in person. I was really skeptical when they eliminated the button from the bottom of the trackpad but once I got used to it I pretty much couldn't go back so maybe it's the same sort of thing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Has there been any mention of the display? OLED seemed likely except it would be unusable for the sports stuff they are pushing, LCD would only be slightly better but would hurt the aesthetics, transflective would be ideal for sports but look kind of lovely otherwise.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

horse mans posted:

The watch body is made of gold. Gold is expensive.

Internet suggests under $1200 per oz. An iphone 4 weighs just under 5oz. A solid gold iphone 4 would cost therefore cost $6000. $10k is some moneyyyyyyyyy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It will be interesting to compare the Apple Watch and the Apple Watch Sport in person, since basically every external component is different. It might be that the stainless steel one feels much fancier for the price.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's pretty clear the MBP/MBA for this generation is just the broadwell bump. Minimal effort, same design but better CPUs. Swapping out the keyboard for the new stuff is probably more work than they wanted to do.

You can probably expect to see the new keyboard across the line within a year or 2 at most.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

88h88 posted:

Internet suggests under $1200 per oz. An iphone 4 weighs just under 5oz. A solid gold iphone 4 would cost therefore cost $6000. $10k is some moneyyyyyyyyy.

At this point you're comparing your back of the napkin calculation of a solid block of gold by weight and the cost an actual product with thousands of engineering man hours put into it that also needs to offset the cost of heightened security in its stores; writing, debugging, documenting, releasing, and supporting the WatchKit SDK; packaging, documenting, and supporting the device; training its employees to troubleshoot the device; and fitting factories to machine the device, and the metallurgical work done to make the gold less malleable. And the margin so that the company actually makes money after all that.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

I'm not a close follower of Apple advertisement campaigns, but that MUST be a low.
Why won't you buy an Apple Watch? Do you hate poor African babies?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

horse mans posted:

At this point you're comparing your back of the napkin calculation of a solid block of gold by weight and the cost an actual product with thousands of engineering man hours put into it that also needs to offset the cost of heightened security in its stores; writing, debugging, documenting, releasing, and supporting the WatchKit SDK; packaging, documenting, and supporting the device; training its employees to troubleshoot the device; and fitting factories to machine the device, and the metallurgical work done to make the gold less malleable. And the margin so that the company actually makes money after all that.

They made the gold less malleable by making it not gold.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

horse mans posted:

I'm not though, I'm comparing the cost of a decent chunk of the material the product is made out of to the actual product price seeing as it has the same internals as the $350 version. It's not quite as much a jump in logic as you're suggesting it is.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

88h88 posted:

I'm not though, I'm comparing the cost of a decent chunk of the material the product is made out of to the actual product price seeing as it has the same internals as the $350 version. It's not quite as much a jump in logic as you're suggesting it is.
It is, actually.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

Yeah I'm really interested to see what both the keyboard and trackpad are like in person. I was really skeptical when they eliminated the button from the bottom of the trackpad but once I got used to it I pretty much couldn't go back so maybe it's the same sort of thing.

MrBond posted:

You can probably expect to see the new keyboard across the line within a year or 2 at most.

While it's not a complete review at all, the puff-pieces from reporters who got some time with it are generally really impressed with the trackpad, and say that it feels at first click like you're using something that depresses deeper. They also say that the keyboard feels good for a board with such little travel, it's still not as a nice as the older design. We may see butterfly switches in the MBP eventually, but they'll probably also come with a deeper travel.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

Why are you guys still talking about watches when their laptop stuff is honestly like loving shocking. They apparently believe so much in the new, non-clicky, Force Touch trackpad that they didn't just put it in the new macbook but in the retina Macbook Pros as well. I'm really curious about how it feels if it's not just good for a thin laptop, but apparently better than what already was the best trackpad in any laptop. Really loving skeptical but there are some new features in the trackpad (like vibrating when you snap something into place) that I guess they wanted all their retina laptops to do. It looks like the butterfly switches aren't making it over to the pros however, which makes me less excited about how those feel..

Only the 13" Retina, the 15" still has the old trackpad. Which is even more confusing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

88h88 posted:

The Edition watch has 2 years warranty coverage instead of the standard 1 year so that's probably where the extra $4k is going.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Only the 13" Retina, the 15" still has the old trackpad. Which is even more confusing.

The 15" hasn't been refreshed yet because Intel hasn't made quad-core Broadwell cpus yet.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/quad-core-and-desktop-broadwell-chips-still-mia-expected-mid-2015/

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
So what does IPX7 mean to me? Should I take it off to wash dishes? Shower? Cant swim with it, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gypsyshred posted:

So what does IPX7 mean to me? Should I take it off to wash dishes? Shower? Cant swim with it, right?

It means if it gets rained on, it'll live. You probably should take it off for anything involving soap or solvents, though apparently Tim Cook says he takes his in the shower, so who knows. I wouldn't swim with it, but technically it should be okay.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

gypsyshred posted:

From wikipedia:

quote:

Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).

(for 30 minutes)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I wonder how water damage warranty claims would work with a device that is supposed to be somewhat water proof.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 9, 2015

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Endless Mike posted:

It means if it gets rained on, it'll live. You probably should take it off for anything involving soap or solvents, though apparently Tim Cook says he takes his in the shower, so who knows. I wouldn't swim with it, but technically it should be okay.

Tim probably gets a new iWatch to wear everyday after he showers with it and damages it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Three Olives posted:

I wonder how water damage warranty claims would work with a device that is supposed to be somewhat water proof.

Does Apple claim that its watch is water proof?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Does Apple claim that its watch is water proof?

IPX7 or water resistant or whatever. Will all water claims be denied, you should have been more careful period or will they honor the warranty on the rating somehow?

gret posted:

Tim probably gets a new iWatch to wear everyday after he showers with it and damages it.

Plus he is worth something like half a billion dollars so the Edition probably seems like a bargain even if he had to pay for it.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 9, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

IPX7 or water resistant or whatever. Will all water claims be denied, you should have been more careful period or will they honor the warranty on the rating somehow?
Seems impossible to enforce this so I'm guessing it will be the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
At the end of the day, the Apple Watch will be a success and will be improved upon with upcoming generations. It doesn't matter how lovely it is now, it'll (probably) get better and then eventually we'll all forget how trash it was.

Remember the first generation Air? The one you couldn't charge using standard magsafe without slightly moving it off a table? Yeah, me neither.

• Locked thread