Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Ton 21
Dec 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Throw in 'and a threat' and we're really getting somewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

There hasn't been a trial of any sort proving that gentle giant ever assaulted, or was threatening, anyone. :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

See, now you're missing the 'armed' part of the equation.

And that even gets muddied when you're, hypothetically, open carrying in a state that has that as a legal right!

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

baw posted:

So Madison has problems with race, and the mayor even admits racial disparities in law enforcement.

The Madison PD and municipal leadership both seem willing to allow the protestors to air their grievances and investigate them. :unsmith:

One thing that really pisses me off about people posting about these things on Facebook is how they will focus and obsess over the details of the case that catalyzed the protest movement while ignoring the underlying injustices that they are actually protesting against.

Like your fat idiot friend will be able to tell you in sharp detail every goddamn second of the court's timeline for Michael Brown, but are completely loving ignorant of the federal report that came out last week highlighting how hosed-up things have been in Ferguson. Or your other moron lily white friend who call the protestors ignorant bastards and claims that everything in Madison is fine because he's lived there for his life and knows there aren't racial problems.

Lily white? Hmm, sounds racist. Yes I guess some people do know about the crimes that people have committed rather than think about how unequal the hateful white man's world is. I had to laugh out loud when I read the quote you posted that we need to spend more money for services instead of on prisons. Reminds me of the MS Paint cartoon where the pastor says "we need more money for the programs". It's almost as if some of the stereotypes are true. Although, that seems to me to be like blackmail. Give us more money, or we'll do more crimes, we warned you! I'd rather crimes didn't get done whether or not money is spent, for my part.

Two Ton 21
Dec 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

See, now you're missing the 'armed' part of the equation.

And that even gets muddied when you're, hypothetically, open carrying in a state that has that as a legal right!

No, it doesn't.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Radish posted:

I thought all the D&D libertarians went to play Eve then died from malnutrition.

They all got brain parasites from drinking unpasteurized milk.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

They all got brain parasites from drinking unpasteurized milk.

I'm not seeing how that would affect their posting.

Two Ton 21
Dec 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Two Ton 21 posted:

Don't you LARP as a black person?

"The heat is off, I can finally post!" -racists

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SedanChair posted:

Actually that's still pretty funny

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Lily white? Hmm, sounds racist. Yes I guess some people do know about the crimes that people have committed rather than think about how unequal the hateful white man's world is. I had to laugh out loud when I read the quote you posted that we need to spend more money for services instead of on prisons. Reminds me of the MS Paint cartoon where the pastor says "we need more money for the programs". It's almost as if some of the stereotypes are true. Although, that seems to me to be like blackmail. Give us more money, or we'll do more crimes, we warned you! I'd rather crimes didn't get done whether or not money is spent, for my part.

If you can read the Ferguson report and still dismiss the protestors, be my guest. I can't.

baw fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 9, 2015

Two Ton 21
Dec 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Can't be racist. Darker than you. So I'm darker than black.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Actually that's still pretty funny

It's funny to racists.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I too wish we could solve all our problems without spending any money.

Also I want a unicorn, and glittermobile, and I want to be a pretty pretty princess and...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Congratulations, your Puritan tightwad attitude is literally the cause of all problems in America that are not explained by overt racism.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Congratulations, your Puritan tightwad attitude is literally the cause of all problems in America that are not explained by overt racism.

When you consider Atwater's famous strategy, you could make the case that the puritan tightwad attitude is in part perpetuated by racists who believe social services not exclusive to whites should be abolished.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

When you consider Atwater's famous strategy, you could make the case that the puritan tightwad attitude is in part perpetuated by racists who believe social services not exclusive to whites should be abolished.

Oh certainly, I didn't mean to imply that Slipknot Hoagie is not a racist. He's just one who lacks courage. He has to use bootstraps imagery instead of racial slurs.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Cool reddit meme, le sir.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

There is no social program in existence that costs more relative to its benefits and positive outcomes than incarceration. Incarceration is a money pit. Literally leaving drug addicts on the streets shooting up at bus stops with absolutely no response of any kind beyond cleaning out the corpses after every cold night is cheaper and more cost-effective than the county jail. Similarly, emptying the jails of habitual shoplifters would free up more than enough money for the state to provision every single retail business with a free commercial insurance policy to cover inventory loss. There is nothing less effective at preventing crime and rehabilitating people than the American model of criminal justice and incarceration, and there is nothing more expensive, either.

The idea is not to spend more and more money to create programs that exist alongside the current criminal justice model. Creating systems to work alongside the American criminal justice system is just painting racing stripes on a car with no tires. The idea is to create alternatives which stand for themselves. Optimizing outcomes is difficult and complicated. Doing better than godawful terrible is not. The question, then, is how many more people, many of whom are admittedly pretty awful, you'd like to feed into the volcano before the hungry god that lives in the caldera sees fit to deliver us from poverty and substance abuse.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
:sharpton: "This meeting of Black Thugs Without Father Figures Local 76 is called to order. How is our extortion of white America through committing crimes going?"

:whatup: "Not incredibly well, we're just getting shot by the police"

:sharpton: "Don't lose heart! Keep playing the 'knock out game.' Eventually whites will capitulate and provide us with social services!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SedanChair posted:

:sharpton: "This meeting of Black Thugs Without Father Figures Local 76 is called to order. How is our extortion of white America through committing crimes going?"

:sharpton: "Don't lose heart! Keep playing the 'knock out game.' Eventually whites will capitulate and provide us with social services!"

OMG! *locks doors*

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Not since the appeasement of Adolf Hitler have I been so thoroughly extorted, very well then, give the blacks their payments. Loosen the golden purse strings and release the payments directly into the ghettos. It's less costly than the alternative, which is law enforcement and incarceration.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

"Nigga, is you taking notes on a criminal loving conspiracy?" -Jesse Jackson.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Not since the appeasement of Adolf Hitler have I been so thoroughly extorted, very well then, give the blacks their payments. Loosen the golden purse strings and release the payments directly into the ghettos. It's less costly than the alternative, which is law enforcement and incarceration.
First off, I have to give you kudos for coming right out to say that you see no daylight between "black people" and "criminals." The overwhelming majority of criminal defendants are not black. That would not surprise anyone with half a mind given to the occasional thought, as black people make up about 13% of the population. They do tend to realize much harsher sentencing than white people, due to...reasons(???)

Second, just so you know, the overwhelming majority of any given criminal docket is reserved for people who have committed such heinous trespasses against the public dignity as "driving on a suspended operator's license due to unpaid fines and fees," and, "smoking marijuana," and a related family of offenses against statute without the barest hint of public safety impacts or moral weight.

Third, I don't know that you've honestly even defined what you want to see happen from a law enforcement system. The majority of criminal felony offenses are small possession crimes, ie. possession of a controlled schedule 1 or 2 substance. I recognize two schools of thought on these offenses. The first is that it is an offense where the perpetrator and the victim are the same person, and that we are protecting people from themselves by way of incarceration. If that is the case, show me how that works to the benefit of the actual perpetrator or victim. The second is that the victim is society at large, which is endangered by the defendant/victim's drug use. Again, if that is the case, show me how that works to the benefit of society at large.

I'm happy to talk about either of those moral frameworks with you, or to explain the actual outcomes and how those outcomes serve neither interest. But I can't discern an actual moral or pragmatic position in your petulant smarm, so I'm unsure just what you want to see happen by way of incarcerating people, unless you regard incarceration as a good unto itself. Given that you clearly don't know anything about...any of these issues, you may have to find the willingness inside yourself to admit you don't know everything, or that you've held ideas in your head that may in some respect be mistaken. I'm not overly confident that you're willing to do that.

But if you can find in yourself the marginal courage to admit that you are not omniscient, or that you are not blessed with infallible reflexive preconceptions, I'd love to have a discussion. If you can't, or if you'd prefer instead to gratify your sense of persecution and enable your personal narrative as the lone voice of proper moral thinking, I can also insult you pretty fluently.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

The only thing conservatives hate more than free blacks are adequate school systems and jobs programs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Randbrick posted:

First off, I have to give you kudos for coming right out to say that you see no daylight between "black people" and "criminals." The overwhelming majority of criminal defendants are not black. That would not surprise anyone with half a mind given to the occasional thought, as black people make up about 13% of the population. They do tend to realize much harsher sentencing than white people, due to...reasons(???)

Second, just so you know, the overwhelming majority of any given criminal docket is reserved for people who have committed such heinous trespasses against the public dignity as "driving on a suspended operator's license due to unpaid fines and fees," and, "smoking marijuana," and a related family of offenses against statute without the barest hint of public safety impacts or moral weight.

Third, I don't know that you've honestly even defined what you want to see happen from a law enforcement system. The majority of criminal felony offenses are small possession crimes, ie. possession of a controlled schedule 1 or 2 substance. I recognize two schools of thought on these offenses. The first is that it is an offense where the perpetrator and the victim are the same person, and that we are protecting people from themselves by way of incarceration. If that is the case, show me how that works to the benefit of the actual perpetrator or victim. The second is that the victim is society at large, which is endangered by the defendant/victim's drug use. Again, if that is the case, show me how that works to the benefit of society at large.

I'm happy to talk about either of those moral frameworks with you, or to explain the actual outcomes and how those outcomes serve neither interest. But I can't discern an actual moral or pragmatic position in your petulant smarm, so I'm unsure just what you want to see happen by way of incarcerating people, unless you regard incarceration as a good unto itself. Given that you clearly don't know anything about...any of these issues, you may have to find the willingness inside yourself to admit you don't know everything, or that you've held ideas in your head that may in some respect be mistaken. I'm not overly confident that you're willing to do that.

But if you can find in yourself the marginal courage to admit that you are not omniscient, or that you are not blessed with infallible reflexive preconceptions, I'd love to have a discussion. If you can't, or if you'd prefer instead to gratify your sense of persecution and enable your personal narrative as the lone voice of proper moral thinking, I can also insult you pretty fluently.

You really didn't need to post all that. Your first sentence was all we needed to know your sense of irony doesn't exist.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

this but unironically

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

You really didn't need to post all that. Your first sentence was all we needed to know your sense of irony doesn't exist.
Well, someone went and got himself got himself a fresh pair of meanypants out the laundry.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Randbrick posted:

Well, someone went and got himself got himself a fresh pair of meanypants out the laundry.

I'm doing my taxes. So yeah.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Very well then, give the blacks their payments." -A progressive, to be sure

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Randbrick posted:

There is no social program in existence that costs more relative to its benefits and positive outcomes than incarceration. Incarceration is a money pit. Literally leaving drug addicts on the streets shooting up at bus stops with absolutely no response of any kind beyond cleaning out the corpses after every cold night is cheaper and more cost-effective than the county jail. Similarly, emptying the jails of habitual shoplifters would free up more than enough money for the state to provision every single retail business with a free commercial insurance policy to cover inventory loss. There is nothing less effective at preventing crime and rehabilitating people than the American model of criminal justice and incarceration, and there is nothing more expensive, either.

The idea is not to spend more and more money to create programs that exist alongside the current criminal justice model. Creating systems to work alongside the American criminal justice system is just painting racing stripes on a car with no tires. The idea is to create alternatives which stand for themselves. Optimizing outcomes is difficult and complicated. Doing better than godawful terrible is not. The question, then, is how many more people, many of whom are admittedly pretty awful, you'd like to feed into the volcano before the hungry god that lives in the caldera sees fit to deliver us from poverty and substance abuse.

But then people wouldn't endure pain for their sins and the world will descend into chaos.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Every time I see this or something like it, I ask the person "did Mike Brown deserve to die?"

So far, no one's been able to just outright admit he had it coming.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

You make it sound like law enforcement and incarceration are the only options for dealing with the black problem.

:nms::nms:

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 9, 2015

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Randbrick posted:

That's why there's things like odds ratios, which would show that minorities are dependents at significantly higher rates than non-hispanic whites (who are actually a minority w.r.t being a dependent). Of course there's many different explanations for why this could be, for example poverty could explain much of the disparity. But even that would probably be insufficient as the types of poverty experienced by whites vs. non-whites. It could be possible that the discrepancies in how poverty is experienced between groups leads to different types of crimes, different severity in crimes and so on. (in other words there is a race-poverty interaction effect) This thread tries to simplistically shout RACISM at every instance because actual analysis is hard and calling other people names is easy and fun I guess.

Randbrick posted:

There is a lot of work to be done but the absence of enforcement will lead to more crime- according to every study on the subject. Criminals aren't idiots, if they think there is basically a 100% chance of getting caught they aren't going to do that thing. While length of incarceration tends to be a non-significant affect for most crimes, the probability of arrest/incarceration is a factor taken into account in nearly every crime outside of crimes in the heat of passion. Interesting note: white collar criminals tend to form a Bayesian model, which takes into account estimates of the probability of arrest along with the estimated length of incarceration Given successful prosecution (basically looking at the expected values / variances in outcomes).

I agree completely for looking and correcting root causes, but if a law exists it should be enforced equally, consistently, and fairly. With your drug addict example, the problem is trying to deal with medical issues through the law in the first place. With shoplifting we should be looking at why it is occurring. How we should deal with someone stealing bread is much different than how we should deal with a teenager stealing a stereo or a Hollywood actor stealing a dress for the thrill of it. But you don't throw out the law with the bathwater, prevention of shoplifting is obviously in the public interest and having formal rules or "laws" against that sort of thing seems to be a rather sensible thing to do.

FAUXTON posted:

But then people wouldn't endure pain for their sins and the world will descend into chaos.

I know this might be a shock to some here but having a lawful society is actually a good thing. See: recorded history.

tsa fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 9, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Black people: literally Hitler.

Anyway. Is it really some big mystery to you that poverty and crime are correlated?
"Hey if you don't feed and educate your kid, he's more likely to turn to crime."
"Oh well looks like the little poo poo is extorting me."
We spend money all the time to give children a better chance in life. But oh when it's black people's kids in a poor neighborhood well now suddenly feeding and educating them is extortion :rolleyes:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, wrong Ferguson thread.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

tsa posted:

I know this might be a shock to some here but having a lawful society is actually a good thing. See: recorded history.

Actually no, not really.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Please stop quoting Sedanchair, tia.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

tsa posted:

That's why there's things like odds ratios, which would show that minorities are dependents at significantly higher rates than non-hispanic whites (who are actually a minority w.r.t being a dependent). Of course there's many different explanations for why this could be, for example poverty could explain much of the disparity. But even that would probably be insufficient as the types of poverty experienced by whites vs. non-whites. It could be possible that the discrepancies in how poverty is experienced between groups leads to different types of crimes, different severity in crimes and so on. (in other words there is a race-poverty interaction effect) This thread tries to simplistically shout RACISM at every instance because actual analysis is hard and calling other people names is easy and fun I guess.

There is a lot of work to be done but the absence of enforcement will lead to more crime- according to every study on the subject. Criminals aren't idiots, if they think there is basically a 100% chance of getting caught they aren't going to do that thing. While length of incarceration tends to be a non-significant affect for most crimes, the probability of arrest/incarceration is a factor taken into account in nearly every crime outside of crimes in the heat of passion. Interesting note: white collar criminals tend to form a Bayesian model, which takes into account estimates of the probability of arrest along with the estimated length of incarceration Given successful prosecution (basically looking at the expected values / variances in outcomes).

I agree completely for looking and correcting root causes, but if a law exists it should be enforced equally, consistently, and fairly. With your drug addict example, the problem is trying to deal with medical issues through the law in the first place. With shoplifting we should be looking at why it is occurring. How we should deal with someone stealing bread is much different than how we should deal with a teenager stealing a stereo or a Hollywood actor stealing a dress for the thrill of it. But you don't throw out the law with the bathwater, prevention of shoplifting is obviously in the public interest and having formal rules or "laws" against that sort of thing seems to be a rather sensible thing to do.

More words doesn't equal a better argument.

The reason why people say RACISM is not because of a simplistic analysis, but because it cuts through a lot of sophistry, and why type paragraph after paragraph when the other person isn't going to listen? Statistically there is a discrepancy between the rate at which blacks commit crimes and the rate at which they are prosecuted/convicted. And adjusting for income, there is very little difference in crimes committed versus non-Hispanic whites.

So we can spend time on the wonderful merry-go-round where we don't come quite out and say that black people are more naturally criminal, or we can just describe what it is, racism.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Judge Brockmeyer has resigned as judge in Ferguson. He will stay on as a prosecutor and judge in numerous other cities in the area because Missouri is hosed up.

edit: goddamn, every municipal case in Ferguson is going to be re-assigned to the circuit; sounds like heads are about to roll. I imagine the IRS has already let the DOJ know they want Brockmeyer's blood for owing nearly 200k in back taxes.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What's that? Even when you control for poverty black people have worse outcomes? It must be their base natures, and certainly not the RACISM they encounter in every aspect of their lives, from housing to hiring to arrests to sentencing.

Do something about your sick culture, black people.

• Locked thread