Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Man I really want to know what the red hate card is, the article didn't have it.

Watch it be a reprint of combust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

HMS Boromir posted:

What? Am I missing something, or are you missing "noncreature" in that text?

Killing Narset or Sorin with it probably makes you feel pretty good but it doesn't seem that great to me.

Haha, yes, sorry I did miss that detail

Shame on me.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

That card looks like something I'd sideboard against UW Heroic, or to help deal with ub control.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's noncreature only. So it's two massively conditional clauses on top of each other, I don't think it will see much play ever.

It hits a t3 Ashiok while the g/x player is on the draw, its going to see play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm probably going to run them sideboard in place of Destructive Revelry in Temur Midrange.

poo poo I have a lot of fixing up to do when Dragons hits, I might even make Frontier Walkers a thing again.

Kiora, Sarkhan Unbroken, Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker, Xenagos, Nissa, the works.

Let me revel in my mythic rares for a while, Wizards. :allears:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It also blocks Downfall on a creature OR walker. It's super playable.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bugsy posted:

It hits a t3 Ashiok while the g/x player is on the draw, its going to see play.

It also hits evil garruk, jeskai ascendancy, new Narset, new Sarkahn, and Sad Sorin. It's a fairly broad spell.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It also blocks Downfall on a creature OR walker. It's super playable.

I don't think you can do that, unless it acts like hexproof for those permanents? Does it work like not-hexproof?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

Man I really want to know what the red hate card is, the article didn't have it.

It's almost certainly exactly that

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

All of those suggestions seem like you're bringing in a card that trades one-for-one with like 4-6 of their spells and sits around dead otherwise though. Unless you have a super big problem with any of those spells I don't think it's great (although protecting your walkers outside of blue is pretty unique and that element might make it playable).

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I don't think you can do that, unless it acts like hexproof for those permanents? Does it work like not-hexproof?

You might be right. I was thinking it works like protection but if they've already been targeted it probably does nothing. Lame.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

forbidden lesbian posted:

More like Pyroblast.

I would have assumbed Combust but drat if that doesn't sound like a meh card with Roast already at uncommon.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 10, 2015

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Morph is deceptively powerful, but this cycle seems pretty weak.
Oh sweet a +1/+1 counter on each other... oh... dragon... nevermind.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You might be right. I was thinking it works like protection but if they've already been targeted it probably does nothing. Lame.

I mean lets look at it this way.

Hexproof - (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)

As on the cards with actual Hexproof.

Display of Dominance says exactly that, but with 'blue or black' between of and spells.

So, maybe it's fake hexproof?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Isn't target validity checked both at cast/activation time and upon resolution?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The green spell can counter blue/black removal, you dummies.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah pretty sure it would make already cast spells fizzle due to illegal targets.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Entropic posted:

I want to see more of the draft commons, dammit. Show us the common Exploit creatures so I can decide if Mirror Mockery is a bomb rare or not. Slapping it on a Silumgar Butcher seems really really good, but ideal that deck has other good exploit creatures in it too.

And I want to see what insane Pauper staple has gotten snuck into the set. But aside from some standouts like Treasure Cruise, they rarely spoil commons before the full set reveal.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

More like Pyroblast.

I would have assumbed Combust but drat if that doesn't sound like a meh card with Roast already at uncommon.

Pyroblast that also hits white would be cool with me

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah pretty sure it would make already cast spells fizzle due to illegal targets.

Yes the spell would fizzle.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

whydirt posted:

Okay that's what I initially thought but then I was second guessing. Card owns again.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think all of the hate cards are perfectly playable sideboard cards. Which is a big improvement over the Theros ones, where only Glare of Heresy still sees play now (although Gainsay did win me many a Mono-U Devotion mirror).

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

born on a buy you posted:

Arizona magic continues to be hilariously hosed up. Offered to help cover hotel costs for a local kid that Q'ed for a PT but can't afford it. His boss, a local store owner, sent me and another guy that made the offer this message this morning:

Please don't offer my employees things like cash favors. It's inappropriate and you should already know that. Same for <me>, I know he isn't publicly your business partner but everyone knows he's "your guy."
<pro tour hopeful> is young and doesn't understand the strings that will be attached once he accepts such a favor from you. He is in the running to be my manager and he will be hurt if he compromises the trust that he has built with me with his own efforts. Even if you tell him there are no strings attached, we both know there are. At the very minimum you are "buying his loyalty/sympathy/regard" and that's a conflict of interest.
If you are really <pro tour hopeful>'s friend, and not just trying to use him, prove it by leaving him alone.
It's somewhat of an issue with <other employee> too but he and I already had the discussion we needed to have and he isn't taking money from you so it's not as much of a problem there.

I'd be concerned too if some Buffalo Bill looking creepy rear end EDH player was trying to offer a kid cash for a hotel stay.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

odiv posted:

Oh sweet a +1/+1 counter on each other... oh... dragon... nevermind.

Allegedly, the mono-color morph dragons are not supposed to be good outside trying to draft Dragon tribal.

Zurai posted:

Isn't target validity checked both at cast/activation time and upon resolution?

Yeah, not sure where the confusion is coming from - the target has to be legal to be placed on the stack, and then legal to resolve.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 10, 2015

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

qbert posted:

I think all of the hate cards are perfectly playable sideboard cards. Which is a big improvement over the Theros ones, where only Glare of Heresy still sees play now (although Gainsay did win me many a Mono-U Devotion mirror).

I believe Hunt the Hunter sometimes shows up in Infect sideboards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Okay that's what I initially thought but then I was second guessing. Card owns again.

Running 4 in the sideboard. Forever.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

whydirt posted:

It's basically Autumn's Veil. It counters Downfall.

I hope the red hate spell is Burnout but for blue and white and not a slowtrip.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

suicidesteve posted:

I hope the red hate spell is Burnout but for blue and white and not a slowtrip.

Just reprint Pyroblast. What could go wrong?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

qbert posted:

Wizards doesn't want us to have fun in modern or standard so it'll just be Combust.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Myriad Truths posted:

I believe Hunt the Hunter sometimes shows up in Infect sideboards.

I'm really surprised more Abzan decks aren't running Dark Betrayal in the side for the mirror. The trade off for only being able to hit Rakshasa Deathdealer, Anafenza, Tasigur, and Rhino is worth it for a 1-mana removal spell, in my opinion.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

You would kill Maro.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

You would kill Maro.

Well I mean Green's thing is big fat efficient creatures right?

Obviously blue is the only one allowed to have counter magic, certainly no other color has had efficient fatties. Certainly. :colbert:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

suicidesteve posted:

Wizards doesn't want us to have fun in modern or standard so it'll just be Combust.

Hell yeah you could kill all the good blue permanents in modern and standard such as

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

rabidsquid posted:

Hell yeah you could kill all the good blue permanents in modern and standard such as

Deceiver Exarch, Pestermite, Jeskai Ascendency.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Mardu warriors could be legit fun now.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

I for one do not want R to have a one-mana counter to everything in Merfolk

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bugsy posted:

Deceiver Exarch, Pestermite, Jeskai Ascendency.

With a list that long wizards would be idiots to not do it at this point

Four Score posted:

I think the red counter to Merfolk is killing you faster, and they already printed that in modern legal formats

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Four Score posted:

I do!!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Why would you wish this on a T2 deck? You monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

rabidsquid posted:

With a list that long wizards would be idiots to not do it at this point

In standard: Ashiok, Kiora, soon to be Narset and Sarkhan, Sidisi, Mantis Rider, Pearl Lake Ancient, Temur Ascendancy just for starters

And of course there's the whole counterspell mode, assuming we're still talking about Pyroblast like I think we are. That's why you'd play it over burn for dealing with planeswalkers or creatures, because it can randomly counter Dig through Time too.

• Locked thread