Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PaintVagrant posted:

Looking at a used (46k) 2012 MS3. However, it looks like it has some mods:

I am not familiar enough with the aftermarket on these cars to know what that red intercooler frame thing is. I recognize the corksport name but dont know what the gently caress that box is either. I know these cars are very frequently modded with a handful of bolt on parts, does this engine bay look like quality poo poo or something I should run screaming from?
Does that style of air intake actually do any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

CharlesM posted:

Does that style of air intake actually do any good?

SRI and CAI on the MS3 should have identical power gain. Plus I reconfigured to SRI after hydrolocking :radcat:

Geoj posted:

I thought you were OK until you really start messing with the turbo output - less restrictive downpipe/exhaust or increasing boost (or a bigger turbo)?

DP is where you're strongly recommended to run internals, that's still before big turbo.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

air- posted:

DP is where you're strongly recommended to run internals, that's still before big turbo.

Right...what I'm saying is a TIP and an aftermarket TMIC wouldn't fall under the "upgrade HPFP internals or die" category.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

First issue on my 2014 3 hatchback. When its cold out, 50 F or below, the drivers side door has sounds coming from it like the seal is being rattled around, not wind, but when going over bumps and the suspension travels a bit it makes the sound of rubber sealing/unsealing. No water has gotten in during rain so not sure where the issue is. Going to take it into the dealer and mention it along with its normal 3k maintenance check. Just very weird and annoying. Car is great otherwise and a great place to sit during a 30-40 minute commute to/from work 4 miles away.

In before 50 is not cold, this is texas, its really cold ok, shut up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

Right...what I'm saying is a TIP and an aftermarket TMIC wouldn't fall under the "upgrade HPFP internals or die" category.

It might not, but if they bothered with a TIP and TMIC, what else did they do? Is this thing at a dealer where they're just selling it as-is or are you looking at buying it from the person who modded it?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

You need to make sure that this dude's first mod was hpfp internals (autotech preferably) because that will at least indicate that he did the bare minimum amount of research. With those modifications he should be running the appropriate OTS tune with a cobb accessport, preferably a custom e-tune. If it doesn't have internals AND a tune, I'd pass. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with buying a modded ms3 without a way to check and monitor afr/ltft/kr first (cobb access port). Definitely get a leak down test done before you buy it, not just a compression test.

Edit: You must ($300 isn't much for piece of mind) upgrade the fuel pump on gen 2's before a sri/tip/cai. The stock tune is different from the gen 1, it's much easier to run lean even with light flow modifications. The ms3 is not kind to those who mod carelessly.

From my experience, the modification path for these cars is this:

1. Hpfp internals + cobb ap at the same time (so you can monitor fuel pressure at least)
2. Rear motor mount
4. Sri/cai/tip + off the shelf/custom tune
5. E85 mix (optional and requires a tune).
6. Tmic/fmic
7. Downpipe
8. 3" catback with test pipe/gutted stock cat
9. Big turbo and engine internals if you plan on pushing past 325ish whp.

Generally each of those steps require a different OTS tune or custom e-tune and retune after each addition. Depends on how many parts you decide to put on at one time.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 21, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
It's at a dealer, surprisingly. I was leery of the mods, and it sounds like 2nd gen cars are less tolerant of fuckery, so I will probably pass on it. Thanks a ton for the info guys. Hopefully more MS3s become availabing in spring, its slim pickings locally in my price range.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
My girlfriend is looking at cars and locally we have found a 2005 Mazda6 2.3L with 112k miles. What should I look for on these? Is there a timing belt kit that will need to be changed soon?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

My girlfriend is looking at cars and locally we have found a 2005 Mazda6 2.3L with 112k miles. What should I look for on these? Is there a timing belt kit that will need to be changed soon?
It's a timing chain, so I don't think you really need to worry about that too much. Only things that gen-1 Mazda 3s are notorious for as far as I know are bad passenger side motor mounts (probably should have failed and been replaced already at 112k if it was one of the bad ones) and thermostats that get stuck open (this will throw an engine code). Maybe uneven tire wear too, but that's a consumable and not really anything you can fix.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Dr.Caligari posted:

Nope, they use a timing chain

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

My backup camera failed. It was working fine last night but this morning shifting into reverse caused no change in the head unit. Its as if the camera never existed.

There is no reason for me to continue having all these electronic problems. The head unit has been loving up in various ways and needed warranty work since I bought the car.

First it would fail to boot up.
Then after like three updates the navigation wouldn't load...
Now after yet another update the backup camera up and fails.

I have spent way too much time at the dealer. Do other cars have such buggy and faulty infotainment systems?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Kraftwerk posted:

My backup camera failed. It was working fine last night but this morning shifting into reverse caused no change in the head unit. Its as if the camera never existed.

There is no reason for me to continue having all these electronic problems. The head unit has been loving up in various ways and needed warranty work since I bought the car.

First it would fail to boot up.
Then after like three updates the navigation wouldn't load...
Now after yet another update the backup camera up and fails.

I have spent way too much time at the dealer. Do other cars have such buggy and faulty infotainment systems?

I got a 3 fully loaded around the time you did. Is yours from Japan or was it from the new factory they have in Mexico (i think its in Mexico)? So far mine just has a minor rattle issue and nothing else.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Mine came from Japan. It was built in February 2014.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Mine came from Japan. It was built in February 2014.

Have you tried bitching to Mazda customer service? I have literally never talked to them, so I don't know what they do. 1-800-222-5500

PM me and I'll give you my mazdausa email address. I work in logistics though (and am low on the totem pole), but I'll do what I can.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Stolennosferatu posted:

Have you tried bitching to Mazda customer service? I have literally never talked to them, so I don't know what they do. 1-800-222-5500

PM me and I'll give you my mazdausa email address. I work in logistics though (and am low on the totem pole), but I'll do what I can.

I live in Canada. So Im not sure that will help. Appreciate the offer though. Speaking of which is Mazda hiring at all in their corporate offices? I have a job configuring commercial aircraft. I figure auto industry might have a spot for me.

Anyway my dealership will sort it out under warranty for me. I'm not gonna lie though as much as I love my car I am annoyed with these constant electronic problems.

I'm worried I'll be in for expensive repairs after the warranty runs out. I can see all kinds of things failing like blue tooth or the dual zone automatic climate control. I'm sure the cold weather, snow, brine and condensation probably will wreak havoc on the electrics too.

I find at -20 the engine has a hard time staying warm unless I'm driving around at highway speeds. I've had the blue light come back on after I left the highway and went back to stop and go traffic.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 24, 2015

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

I live in Canada. So Im not sure that will help. Appreciate the offer though. Speaking of which is Mazda hiring at all in their corporate offices? I have a job configuring commercial aircraft. I figure auto industry might have a spot for me.

Canada, eh.

There is a R&D section in Irvine,California, not too far from the main office, but I don't know if they do R&D for all of North America. Hit up the Mazda USA website for job openings. There's a couple engineering openings (I'm not sure what you mean configuring aircraft).

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Kraftwerk posted:

If it makes you feel better according to Consumer Reports a lot of the other systems out there are buggy messes too. Not that that should excuse Mazda from flubbing theirs, though.

Mine has only had two strange glitches that went away on the next startup: Once my rearview camera got stuck on for my whole drive which was kind of neat. Another time the system randomly decided I no longer had navigation and told me to go to the dealership to buy it.

Then again today on the commute home the iELOOP system said it's busted at about 6600 miles. Dealership time!

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

If it makes you feel better according to Consumer Reports a lot of the other systems out there are buggy messes too. Not that that should excuse Mazda from flubbing theirs, though.

Mine has only had two strange glitches that went away on the next startup: Once my rearview camera got stuck on for my whole drive which was kind of neat. Another time the system randomly decided I no longer had navigation and told me to go to the dealership to buy it.

Then again today on the commute home the iELOOP system said it's busted at about 6600 miles. Dealership time!

I would love an always on rear facing camera but I think there's some stupid law against having active screens (or cameras?) in front of the driver.

Good luck with the ieloop thing. Same offer, just PM me if you want.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Has anyone heard of a release date for the new Mazda2? I can only find speculation about maybe this summer.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dr.Caligari posted:

My wife has a '05 6i and we're rounding up on 123k miles. The thermostat got stuck open and changing it out wasn't that bad. It has killed a couple alternators in the 8 years and 100k miles she's owned it. Otherwise it's been very predictable and just works. Personally I'm tired of it and ready for something new. She wants to spend our cash on finishing the basement of our house so we'll just go on owning this forever or until we add a 3rd kid to the mix.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

opengl128 posted:

Has anyone heard of a release date for the new Mazda2? I can only find speculation about maybe this summer.

If you live in the US, the rumor is never.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

opengl128 posted:

Did you already know about the Toyota Yaris news? That's already been reported, so it's the most I can say.

Edit: oh, they only share a power train. I didn't know that.

Stolennosferatu fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 2, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Stolennosferatu posted:

Did you already know about the Toyota Yaris news? That's already been reported, so it's the most I can say.

Edit: oh, they only share a power train. I didn't know that.

Which Yaris news? It's going to be built at the Mexico plant?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Has there been any rumblings on if/when the CX-5 2.2L Diesel is headed to America? Or am I living another pipe dream?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Skyactiv-D hasn't even shown up in the first car (the 6) they wanted to bring it to North America in, and as of mid-2014 their comments were "maybe next year."

It's really not looking good for the Skyactiv-D in North America any time soon, which is a shame.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Combine that with low gas prices reducing the demand for diesels... yeah I'm pretty sure Mazda USA couldn't give a poo poo about it at this point and is just working on the Miata hype machine.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
And so the cycle of stupidity continues - :v: Hey gas prices are $1.70 $1.85 $2.05 $2.19 $2.25 $2.35/gallon, no way they'll ever go back up, TIME TO BUY A GAS GUZZLER/STOP SELLING FUEL EFFICIENT VEHICLES BECAUSE THESE PRICES ARE HERE TO STAY!!!!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does anyone here in AI own a CX-5? What kind of real world MPG do you see? Would you recommend one as a daily?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm doing a home renovation and will be installing about 400 sq ft of tile. I've got a 1st gen MS3. Do any of y'all have an idea of, realistically how much weight I could safely load into the hatch? It's not a long drive from the hardware store to my house, but I don't want to risk damaging the car or risking injury if I overload it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I'm doing a home renovation and will be installing about 400 sq ft of tile. I've got a 1st gen MS3. Do any of y'all have an idea of, realistically how much weight I could safely load into the hatch? It's not a long drive from the hardware store to my house, but I don't want to risk damaging the car or risking injury if I overload it.

What's the sticker in the door say? Subtract your weight and the curb weight (3150ish) and there you go.

I bet it's 800ish.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone here in AI own a CX-5? What kind of real world MPG do you see? Would you recommend one as a daily?

I've driven them a bunch at work they are very nice. Absolutely recommend it over anything else in it's class

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

I've driven them a bunch at work they are very nice. Absolutely recommend it over anything else in it's class

I need to drive another one. I really don't want to have a car payment if I sell the Miata but they just look so nice.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I need to drive another one. I really don't want to have a car payment if I sell the Miata but they just look so nice.

Don't forget the third generation 3 hatchback is there for you if you want the best of both worlds :getin: If not that I guess there's about to be a CX-3 which will be based on the Mazda2?

Anecdotally the Seattle area is absolutely rife with CX-5s. Not sure if that's good praise or not because it's also rife with Corollas.

As for my 3 the dealership couldn't find anything wrong with the iELOOP but they tossed a bunch of software (firmware?) updates at it. They updated Mazda Connect from version 28 to 30 but I thought the newest version as of a few months ago was 33? Either way I've only had an occasional temporary glitch with it and online research suggests my cellphone Bluetooth woes are the fault of my phone (Lumia 928) rather than the car.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I've seen a CX-3 on the road and I just don't get it.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've seen a CX-3 on the road and I just don't get it.

In North America? Did it look as dumb as it sounds on paper?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

In North America? Did it look as dumb as it sounds on paper?
Yeah -- I assume it's because I live and work near their North America headquarters.

I don't think it was ugly, but I just didn't get the point of another size SUV that fits between a 3 hatch and the CX-5. But apparently the existing cars in that segment are selling well and competitors are bringing more to market, so Mazda wants in.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah -- I assume it's because I live and work near their North America headquarters.

I don't think it was ugly, but I just didn't get the point of another size SUV that fits between a 3 hatch and the CX-5. But apparently the existing cars in that segment are selling well and competitors are bringing more to market, so Mazda wants in.

Just seems weird since it's a segment the 3 hatch can satisfy unless this is all about AWD boners... Which it is, isn't it?

Seen any rumored AWD Speed3 prototypes running around?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fabulousity posted:

Just seems weird since it's a segment the 3 hatch can satisfy unless this is all about AWD boners... Which it is, isn't it?

It's more the height than actually being AWD - there as AWD versions of the 3 available anyway if that was the only issue.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah the BMW X1 X3 X5 (and X6!) all exist so.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
I own a 2014 CX5 and absolutely love it. I do 90% city driving, and while everyone's mpg will differ depending on driving style, I'll just say that this is the only vehicle I have ever got close/matched the estimated MPG for city/highway driving. Your results may vary!

The new 2016 CX5 comes with many changes...wish I could have waited to get one of these instead. The 16's have, revised interior, "sport" mode selector, better infotainment system with commander knob (like BMW uses) and larger 7'' screen, enhanced city brake system (works at higher speed than on previous MY's), back up cross traffic alert, speed adjusted cruise control, LED headlights and LED taillights, different grille, revised AWD system (I had no trouble this winter with the current AWD in NYC, and we had a lot of ice and slush with a few big snow storms thrown in), and a few other changed I believe.

I highly recommend at least a test drive for the CX5, in my opinion it is the best looking and best driving vehicle in its segment.