Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I foolishly ventured in there the other day to see if they had any good info on pet adoption and stuff. Never again.

Yeah, they're... i don't even know.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Got quote for garage door conversion, was ~$250 more than I expected and was hoping for. Not sure how shops work but the cheapest they can get the opener I want is $250 more than I just bought one for. Once it arrives they'll come out and take care of everything to clear up some valuable clearance. Now I need to talk to the local E30 shop and see when they want to do the order for lifts. Car stacking is getting closer!

That's cool. Also if you get an underlift/jacking beam you can use a 4-post lift quite a lot like a 2-post lift and it's great for working on cars. You get the benefit of additional storage and the use for car repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My ski helmet headphones have a clip with a button and mic that I attach to the collar which works as play/pause or hold to make voice commands.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

jamal posted:

My ski helmet headphones have a clip with a button and mic that I attach to the collar which works as play/pause or hold to make voice commands.

I won't use headphones with the Mic and buttons on the motorcycle anymore. A strong wind will push them, or if you gently caress up the placement moving your head will push them too.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

jamal posted:

Mine too but they don't stop the alarm, just controls Spotify.

I keep my phone in my inside jacket pocket too, but it's easy enough to reach in at a stoplight if you don't have to take off a glove to do it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ah jesus. One of my sister's friends just found out her daughter has a sister.

Her boyfriend was cheating on her and impregnated another girl like 3 weeks after her. They broke up two years ago but she's flipping the gently caress out right now and it's both tragic and hilarious.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

T1g4h posted:

Got home from work to find a package waiting for me, and after opening it up...

Well, let's see how well they do...

:stare:

Geirskogul, that is a 3lb buggy without the battery, and your jackstands held it up flawlessly. These things are awesome. Also, that manufacturing label was a nice touch :v:

Me too me too!

1/24 being put to use on a spec Miata

He was nice enough to throw in some :krad: glowy 1/10 ones too. Propping up a heavy rear end ancient Radio Shack special? Cake.

I really want to fix that truck...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Ah jesus. One of my sister's friends just found out her daughter has a sister.

Her boyfriend was cheating on her and impregnated another girl like 3 weeks after her. They broke up two years ago but she's flipping the gently caress out right now and it's both tragic and hilarious.

"POWERED BY MY PUSSY FARTS"

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Car stacking is getting closer!

That's what I really need to do, I love where I live, I love the floor plan, I only hate that I can't store 3 cars in the 2 car garage. If I could pop the top of the garage maybe 3 feet max, I could stack cars. I could also have enough room to put a second toilet out there. Third car, more storage, and second toilet are the only things this place needs to be perfect for me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mooseykins posted:

That's cool. Also if you get an underlift/jacking beam you can use a 4-post lift quite a lot like a 2-post lift and it's great for working on cars. You get the benefit of additional storage and the use for car repair.
Thanks to my low (9'6") ceilings and how thick the ramp/tray on 4-post lifts are I'm going with a 2-post. Friend is going to weld up some wheel trays so I don't have the car's suspension hanging. Might not the best option but I can't raise the ceiling so this should work pretty good. Will also be nice for suspension work and anything else I feel like messing with.

iwentdoodie posted:

I won't use headphones with the Mic and buttons on the motorcycle anymore. A strong wind will push them, or if you gently caress up the placement moving your head will push them too.
When I was commuting by motorcycle 99% of the time I picked up bluetooth speakers, scala rider G4. Can control the phone through the headset and the sound quality isn't terrible. Was able to listen to music while riding and could answer a call and tell them I'd call back if needed. Really a nice setup though I don't think scala rider is the go-to recommended any more.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Goddamn, I sure could go for some strawberries right about now.

They're getting processed now :black101:

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

[...]
He was nice enough to throw in some :krad: glowy 1/10 ones too. Propping up a heavy rear end ancient Radio Shack special? Cake.

Wow, I had that same truck, brings back memories seeing that. I loved that thing and had a t-shirt with a similar Ford-based monster truck on it. I think I was ~ 8 or 9.

I just had a somewhat odd troubleshooting experience with headlights on my Fit. First noticed the right low beam was out last Wednesday and made a note to get a new set. Was clearing snow off the car on Thursday with lights on, and I bumped the headlight housing (the one with the dead low beam) and it came back on. Scratched my head and figured there was probably a bad connection. Snow kept me home-bound and I didn't get to actually figuring things out until Sunday. To isolate the issue, I swapped the bad bulb with the good one from the other side, and all of a sudden both bulbs don't work (low beam only). High beams work fine throughout this. Checked voltage at the pigtail and was getting good -12v reading (positively grounded headlights). Finally just swapped fresh bulbs in today, and both are working. I think they were the originals, so I'm not surprised to have them going out after ~40k miles, but I am surprised that gingerly handling the old (but still working) bulb when swapping between sides caused it to go bad, and that I was temporarily able to get the one that was out to work by tapping the headlight housing. Just weird.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Totally choked on asking a girl from a traffic safety class out on a date or even just giving her my number. Had the perfect chance but i just stood there staring at her like a dumb rear end creep. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WIHT ME!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Preoptopus posted:

Totally choked on asking a girl from a traffic safety class out on a date or even just giving her my number. Had the perfect chance but i just stood there staring at her like a dumb rear end creep. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WIHT ME!

:goonsay:

goons.txt

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Women like creeps you should be fine, just continue staring and they will ask you out.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Glowy ones are the best :hfive:

He threw in a full set of blues, and another two clear blues in mine as well :3:

I could start a scale model garage with all of these jackstands :v:

Preoptopus posted:

This is me every. Single. Time. I feel your pain. 90% of the time I don't even manage to get to the "stare like a creep" part, I just do the "awkward glance and smile then look away" poo poo.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dumb Australian Government poo poo #1561616513115

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-10/abbott-government-reinstating-241-billion-in-car-industry-fund/6292868

When the Federal Liberal (Conservative) Government came in about 20 months ago they said they will stop hand outs to the car companies for keeping plants open in Australia. Soon afterwards both Holden and Toyota were going to close their shops in 2017 (Ford had already decided before the Liberals got in to close in 2016).

The Federal Libs, now understanding that they are getting not well liked in the community (especially in the states where the car plants are), now want to throw $1 billion at the car companies, even though they are still going to close

:psyduck: :ughh:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

That's okay, Friday night some chick we knew from middle school randomly turned up at the bar and is now smoking hot. She was chatting me up for a few hours until my other friend showed up, then followed him around the rest of the night. Then Saturday some friends we were drinking with invited a chick to come out and were trying to hook me up with her. She fixated on a different friend almost immediately and followed him around for the rest of the night.

It's like right when I get the chance Cupid shoots them in the rear end with his stupid arrow and they accidentally look at the wrong person :emo:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm so paranoid about girls thinking I'm staring at them if they catch me looking at them at all, that even if I glance over and they happen to be looking at me I'll whip my head back around at sonic speed.

Which probably has the opposite effect than intended, but I haven't been able to break the habit for over ten years so I'm probably screwed.

Also I can carry on casual conversation just fine but I can never bring myself to ask them out, too afraid they'll think badly of me/think I only ever wanted to get in their pants. Which absolutely isn't true, but... :saddowns:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I always sucked at getting girls for myself but I was a fantastic wing man. I have no idea how I got the amazing woman I have now.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Still just replaying the whole thing, she started talking to me first! It was the last day of class so we were all like, well "that was a joke right? And then we went to bursars office to pay and she paid first as I stood there dumb as gently caress and she left and then i had to pay and URGHHHHHHHHHHHGHGHGFUCK I shoulda just asked her on the stairs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Preoptopus posted:

Still just replaying the whole thing, she started talking to me first! It was the last day of class so we were all like, well "that was a joke right? And then we went to bursars office to pay and she paid first as I stood there dumb as gently caress and she left and then i had to pay and URGHHHHHHHHHHHGHGHGFUCK I shoulda just asked her on the stairs.

Do you know her name? Find her rear end on Facebook dude.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fucknag posted:

I'm so paranoid about girls thinking I'm staring at them if they catch me looking at them at all, that even if I glance over and they happen to be looking at me I'll whip my head back around at sonic speed.

Which probably has the opposite effect than intended, but I haven't been able to break the habit for over ten years so I'm probably screwed.

I have a similar problem; my great grandmother drilled into me as a small child that it's not polite to stare to the point where I have a hard time maintaining eye contact when talking with people. It's not that I don't want to look people in the eyes, it's just that my gramma made me neurotic about it.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
See I was taught by my father that it is imperative to make eye contact while shaking hands and during conversation. Due to this I have developed the ability to stare lecherously using only my peripheral vision.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Hey Chat Thread, what mobile phone should I get? My Samsung Galaxy S2 is over three years old and getting really tired, and with some bonuses I'm getting this month (woo hoo Short Term Incentive plan!) I've decided to just say stuff it and get another one. My phone service is through my ISP and far, far cheaper than I could ever get on a phone-company contract, so I just buy phones outright. I'm tossing up right now between the Samsung Galaxy S5, and the LG Google Nexus 5. I use it exactly the same as everyone else uses their phone; reading forums, playing games on the shitter and listening to podcasts on the train on the way in. They're within 10% of each other as far as price goes, with the Samsung being more expensive. I'm leaning towards the Nexus but that's kind of only "because reasons" and not anything concrete.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Memento posted:

Hey Chat Thread, what mobile phone should I get? My Samsung Galaxy S2 is over three years old and getting really tired, and with some bonuses I'm getting this month (woo hoo Short Term Incentive plan!) I've decided to just say stuff it and get another one. My phone service is through my ISP and far, far cheaper than I could ever get on a phone-company contract, so I just buy phones outright. I'm tossing up right now between the Samsung Galaxy S5, and the LG Google Nexus 5. I use it exactly the same as everyone else uses their phone; reading forums, playing games on the shitter and listening to podcasts on the train on the way in. They're within 10% of each other as far as price goes, with the Samsung being more expensive. I'm leaning towards the Nexus but that's kind of only "because reasons" and not anything concrete.

Is there a reason you're looking at phones from last year? Can you even get a new Nexus 5?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mariooncrack posted:

Is there a reason you're looking at phones from last year? Can you even get a new Nexus 5?

Well, I can probably afford a brand new phone, but I find it difficult to justify an $800 purchase when I can get one that works perfectly well and infinitely better than what I have for around $450. The supplier I'm looking at has both of them listed as in stock, with 3-5 day shipping times.

The Nexus 6 seems to be around 10% better than the 5, which makes the 80%+ price difference pretty silly. Again, this is just to me, for nebulous reasons that are entirely due to my having grown up poor and being generally stubborn.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Memento posted:

Well, I can probably afford a brand new phone, but I find it difficult to justify an $800 purchase when I can get one that works perfectly well and infinitely better than what I have for around $450. The supplier I'm looking at has both of them listed as in stock, with 3-5 day shipping times.

The Nexus 6 seems to be around 10% better than the 5, which makes the 80%+ price difference pretty silly. Again, this is just to me, for nebulous reasons that are entirely due to my having grown up poor and being generally stubborn.

I imagine that the Nexus 5 will get one more major update in the fall but that's it. I can't imagine the S5 will have much longer either. The main complaint of the Nexus 5 is battery life. Nexus phones are not very good at battery. I don't own one personally so I can't speak to it. If you plan to root and use a custom ROM, go for the Nexus 5. If you're going to keep it stock, probably go with the S5. Another phone to consider is the OnePlus One. I own it and I love it. Some people poo poo upon the phone and the selling of the phone was kind of lovely. You can buy them any Tuesday though now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Memento posted:

I have a Nexus 6; see my post ITT about my thoughts on the device so far. In spite of its flaws, it's a pretty impressive piece of kit. As for the OnePlus One, my brother and his wife both have them and they seem very happy with their phones - if price is an important consideration I would say it's about the best value for money that you can get in a phone these days.

Also, if you can hold out for a couple of months, the Galaxy S6 should be on sale by then. Its design is a little polarising (glass front and back, non-replaceable battery and no SD card slot I think) but I think it's a pretty slick device nonetheless.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Do you know her name? Find her rear end on Facebook dude.

Whoa

Is that what people do these days? Granted I'm old and have been married for nearly 18 years, but wouldn't that be kinda creepy? Or is it pretty much an accepted way you young whipper snappers do it these days?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tide posted:

Whoa

Is that what people do these days? Granted I'm old and have been married for nearly 18 years, but wouldn't that be kinda creepy? Or is it pretty much an accepted way you young whipper snappers do it these days?

Just like always, it can be either.

From most goons? Creepy as gently caress.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Tide posted:

Whoa

If you've talked to and vibe with the girl? Not creepy. If you don't? Very creepy. That's pretty much the only difference nowadays. If you have a class in common it's not a big deal to friend her, surely? Better to knock that poo poo out and just ask to go grab dinner or a drink or something though and don't contemplate your actions for a few weeks collecting goon advice before you do it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Just like always, it can be either.

From most goons? Creepy as gently caress.

I mean, if you go about it in a super creepy way but if he's like "Hey, I enjoyed our talks in class and I wondered if you'd like to have coffee sometime?" it's really not that creepy. People hook up on social media all the loving time and it's not creepy.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

I mean, if you go about it in a super creepy way but if he's like "Hey, I enjoyed our talks in class and I wondered if you'd like to have coffee sometime?" it's really not that creepy. People hook up on social media all the loving time and it's not creepy.

Yeah, but most goons can add in heavy breathing and leering even in text.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, but most goons can add in heavy breathing and leering even in text.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Raluek posted:

The wiring part of this is easy, that connector is just tip ring sleeve (TRS):

Wire the grounds from both outputs to the sleeve, the right positive to the ring, and the left positive to the tip.

The problem, like 88h88 mentioned, is the impedance. Looks like those headphones are 32 ohms, so it will depend on what loads the amp you use is rated for. Parallel some power resistors with your signals to drop the impedance, or series them with the load to raise it.

Thanks for the picture, definitely helps out a lot. I forgot that there multiple versions of the headphones I have. I actually have the 250 ohm version.

KozmoNaut posted:

Seconding this.

I recommend the O2 headphone amp (or the O2+ODAC if you need to run it from a PC).

It is one of the very best headphone amps out there at any price, and it will last you a lifetime. It has super-low output impedance, which matters when you're using 32 ohm headphones. You want the output impedance to be less that 1/8th of your headphones' input impedance. Putting resistors across speaker terminals will yield high output impedance and can mess up the frequency response of your headphones. This is how cheapo gear implements headphone outputs, and why a lot of people recommend dedicated headphone amps (provided they're properly designed).

I have an O2+ODAC, and it is both utterly free from noise and capable of delivering mountains of power to my power-hungry Beyerdynamic DT-880s.

If you're looking for something a little cheaper, the Topping NX1 is also a good choice.

I actually own a fiio e11. I'm looking for something for my desktop at home so I don't have to worry about batteries. I know the idea of using a lepai amp as an amp for headphones seem silly but I already have the parts laying around and I thought it might be really cheap to make, why not? I was actually looking into getting a schiit magni II or vali some time down the road but I'll defintely look into a O2 as well.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My wife noticed I have a few weird looking freckles/moles and I was like oh I've had those a while and she suddenly looked really worried and made me swear that I'd have it checked out this week :ohdear:

I hope that I'm as immune to the sun as I thought I was...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tusen Takk posted:

My wife noticed I have a few weird looking freckles/moles and I was like oh I've had those a while and she suddenly looked really worried and made me swear that I'd have it checked out this week :ohdear:

I hope that I'm as immune to the sun as I thought I was...

Well, keep in mind that UF is still alive.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Raluek posted:

Well, keep in mind that UF is still alive.

True, I've always had odd looking freckles but I've never had miles before so that's the only reason I'm even remotely worried

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

True, I've always had odd looking freckles but I've never had miles before so that's the only reason I'm even remotely worried

Dude, you're a little gingery. You're probably not immune to the sun, it's just been loving with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Dude, you're a little gingery. You're probably not immune to the sun, it's just been loving with you.

B-b-b-ut! I'm a special snowflake!!! :saddowns:

Idk how I didn't die from it yet except for the brown eyes bit. Rocking a tan with dark red hair is p nice

• Locked thread