Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, that's the end of Pact. Lot more unanswered questions than Worm, but I'm not bothered. Any idea what Twig will be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:unsmith:

https://wildbow.wordpress.com/ sum up here.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Now that was a much more satisfying than Worm's epilogue.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, I really liked the epilogue.

The story barely feels like its started, but the epilogue was mighty satisfying.y

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so, inevitable arguments about how much of blake is left inside of what is presumably blake?

i'm going to say a hell of a lot actually, seeing as it's suggested he and evan went to wisconsin to put a flower on zoey artana's grave

all in all, evan appears to be happy, so story has a good ending, 10/10 :v:

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Tollymain posted:

so, inevitable arguments about how much of blake is left inside of what is presumably blake?

i'm going to say a hell of a lot actually, seeing as it's suggested he and evan went to wisconsin to put a flower on zoey artana's grave

Wait, the guy was supposed to be Blake? Who was the bigger bird? Green Eyes?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no, the birds disappeared while the motorcycle guy was passing through wisconsin. the hosed-up bird with the stick in its plumage is blake, evan is the smaller sparrow, and green eyes was the girl by the water's edge. presumably without the Muggle Goggles blake looks a lot less like a real bird, much like green eyes isn't really wearing a sweater.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Tollymain posted:

no, the birds disappeared while the motorcycle guy was passing through wisconsin. the hosed-up bird with the stick in its plumage is blake, evan is the smaller sparrow, and green eyes was the girl by the water's edge. presumably without the Muggle Goggles blake looks a lot less like a real bird, much like green eyes isn't really wearing a sweater.

Ah, I thought the girl turned into a bird for some reason.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I thought the girl by the water was Rose, for some reason.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
'My brother getting married was really stressful' is some weak poo poo.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah no gently caress off

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Velius posted:

I'm not sure it makes sense for him to immediately start his next story. Pact ended up being a badly plotted mess in spite of starting with an interesting premise and character, probably because Wildbow was forced to make it all up as he went.

Never got an impression that Pact ended up being a mess because of not enough worldbuilding. Rather than that, it suffered from pacing issues: near-constant fights and Blake rushing through the plot with the speed of the Millenium Falcon, jumping from a problem to an even larger problem and never having time to stop and explore the world or get some character development.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tollymain posted:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Neurosis posted:

'My brother getting married was really stressful' is some weak poo poo.

You've clearly never gotten roped into helping plan a wedding, that poo poo can be CRAZY stressful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

Never got an impression that Pact ended up being a mess because of not enough worldbuilding. Rather than that, it suffered from pacing issues: near-constant fights and Blake rushing through the plot with the speed of the Millenium Falcon, jumping from a problem to an even larger problem and never having time to stop and explore the world or get some character development.

The pacing problems are what caused the worldbuilding problems, IMO. So many chapters went by in a wild rush of 'and then I killed X in an interesting way/fled' that there wasn't time to really find out what X was, what it could do, and why it could do it.

The whole thing felt like it was the side-plot in someone else's story. Which... it really kind of was, given the implications of the Maggie Holt stories showing up in the Wormiverse.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

First chapter of Twig is up:

https://twigserial.wordpress.com/

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This setting seems familiar.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tollymain posted:

Nuh uh

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Twig 1.1

Tollymain posted:

Elaborate on why?

Although, it feels kinda familiar to me too, but then again, so did "guy goes home for a funeral" so I'm not judging.

I was gonna say it would be interesting if this is from the PoV of the "bad" guys, because in my mind Wildbows characters are all firmly on the side of Good, then I considered Taylor and the Undersiders and now I'm confused. Taylor was always reasonably focused but the others, not so much. Should be fun to see where this goes!

I can't help but wonder what the snake is gonna do now, that they've just left it there to fend for itself.

Also this site is much prettier than Pact.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Elaborate on why?

Judging from the comments, Twig may have had it's start from the sample story Boil that Wildbow did before starting Pact.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yep, it certainly looks like the Boil world.

I think it's a pretty solid start, too, I enjoyed it, and Boil was probably my favourite of the trial-run worlds.

I hope that Wildbow has actually been working it in paralllel with Pact (albeit at a bit more of a relaxed pace) so that he might have a chance to build up a buffer against stressful life events. If there's anything I've learned from ten years or so of consumption of web serial stuff (mostly comics) it's that having some backup when life's going down the shitter is critical.

I really wish he hadn't gone straight on into the next story without any break. I'd feel a lot more confident if he'd had some time to write the first arc or two.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
The first chapter is dated December 24, 2014, so I guess he's worked on it at least a little bit.

I ended up skipping Pact since people seemed a bit disappointed by it, is it worth starting now? Seems like a good chance to build up a bit of a backlog for Twig.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It's worth a go, it's not terrible, it's just not as good as Worm.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's not nearly as good as Worm, but this might not be the most fair of things to hold it up against.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Pact is weird in that the world is arguably more interesting than a lot of the story. Half the problem with the story was it didn't spend enough time worldbuilding. I wouldn't mind at all if he revisited it with something a little more slow paced.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I really enjoyed reading whole arcs at a time and really didn't like reading it piecemeal.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Squinty posted:

The first chapter is dated December 24, 2014, so I guess he's worked on it at least a little bit.

I ended up skipping Pact since people seemed a bit disappointed by it, is it worth starting now? Seems like a good chance to build up a bit of a backlog for Twig.

It's not that Pact is bad, it's just that Worm was that good.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I feel that if Worm's first 10 arcs hadn't had so much world and character building, thanks to not having constant fights, it wouldn't have been as good. Hopefully Twig goes better!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It seems to be off to a good start.

There's no way the codenames are not meaningful. That said, the doctor specializes in the brain, so let's try interpret them in that context.

Galatea seems obvious. Helen appears to have naturally suppressed emotional cues and the ability to fake them at least proficiently, if not superhumanly. She also appears to be able to remain inhumanly still in dangerous situations.

Caterpillar indicates change, growth. Jamie appears to be the bookish sort. Maybe he's going to become really, really smart?

Griffon. I don't know. Gordon seems to be a good fighter?

Wyvern. Hm. Supposed to venomous. So far what we've seen of Sylvester indicates he's a schemer, and he might be adept at manipulating people.

What do you think?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Just a bump to this to say 1.4 is up and it's really getting quite interesting.

The statue, the bookworm, the knight and the dragon.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Nettle Soup posted:

Just a bump to this to say 1.4 is up and it's really getting quite interesting.

The statue, the bookworm, the knight and the dragon.

Yeah, I think Wildbow might be getting better at his pacing issues.

And the main character has admitted to not being good at fighting, so it might even stay that way!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, it looks like sy's talents lie in being the horrid little rear end in a top hat who knows exactly what to say. dealing with him when you're in the know sounds like a harrowing experience :v:

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Tollymain posted:

yeah, it looks like sy's talents lie in being the horrid little rear end in a top hat who knows exactly what to say. dealing with him when you're in the know sounds like a harrowing experience :v:

So, Tattletale?
I can be happy with that.

Can you imagine Worm with Tattletale as the main character? Entertaining as she is in the amount we were given, as a main character readers would have been rooting for the endbringers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
probably slightly less broken

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

A lot of people seemed to not like tattletale because they felt like she was cheating half the time. Sy just seems to be really good at being an rear end in a top hat for fun and profit.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pavlov posted:

Sy just seems to be really good at being an rear end in a top hat for fun and profit.

All hail Sy Thorburn.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
People hated Tattletale? I really disliked Taylor so this is strange to me.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Neurosis posted:

People hated Tattletale? I really disliked Taylor so this is strange to me.

Her ability was a bit too Dues Ex Machina for my tastes.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Dietrich posted:

Her ability was a bit too Dues Ex Machina for my tastes.

I get disliking the ability, because it felt like the inferences she drew weren't from observation but plucked from thin air. I thought people were referring to the character herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Neurosis posted:

I get disliking the ability, because it felt like the inferences she drew weren't from observation but plucked from thin air. I thought people were referring to the character herself.

The ability and the personality of it's user are linked closer then they would be in other 'cape' series given the situation.

I liked Tattletale, and I liked how she interacted with the Undersiders, but if you take a person with that ability and every encounter is basically what she did to Glory Girl and Panacea early on, I think she would rapidly become someone I want to see lose.

Regardless of what she did, I never wanted to see Taylor lose, even when she played hardball.

• Locked thread