Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I would get in NEXT or PFU if Hasbro or Paizo got the former Black Isle people to make a computer RPG out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hmmmm hey guys you know what would legitimize your Old School RPG? A badass computer game like Planescape Torment or Baldur'd Gate or Icewind Dale.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I would get in NEXT or PFU if Hasbro or Paizo got the former Black Isle people to make a computer RPG out of it.

Paizo and Obsidian have entered into a deal whereby Obsidian gets to use Paizo's IP to make games with. The first thing they're doing is porting the Pathfinder card game to mobiles so that's not super exciting, but it does mean Obsidian can just make a Pathfinder game once Pillars of Eternity is out if they want to.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Wasn't there also supposed to be a Numenera game by the old Planescape: Torment crew that everyone was super hype for? Whatever happened to that?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It's still ongoing. It's from the same team as the Wasteland 2 people- and just had the release date changed to "Late 2015", looks like.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Then I shall play Rope Kid's Pathfinder game and forever pray that he makes an Ars Magica one.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

MadScientistWorking posted:

Don't forget Mearls and someone else at WoTC who actually went out of their way to harass a Paizo employee on Twitter.

I missed this. What happened?

dwarf74 posted:

Going back to this. My goodness, ENWorld has gotten terrible. At least during the 3e/4e edition Wars, you could have a conversation. Now, anything outside "5e is awesome and doing awesome" gets you dogpiled.

Some dude made a thread where he said, "I'm losing interest because digital support isn't there and there are like no releases." And man... He's getting bitched out for it over like 60 pages.

5e basically is ENWorld edition. Mearls co-opted a lot of their language, kept their board owner and basically only the board owner in the loop as far as what was going down in 5e (and there's evidence he was leaking poo poo to Morrus before 5e came out in ways he wasn't supposed to), and ENWorld was the only actual forums he posted in during the 5e lead up - inluding not posting in WotC's own forums.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

Especially with a major part of the fanbase not liking change or New Things.

I've had Fate on the mind a lot lately, and it's interesting to see the reactions of Fate fans to new editions (SotC to DF to Fate Core) versus the D&D fanbase's reactions to the end of 3e.
FATE fans aren't trying to relive the glory days of their teenaged youth when they played FATE all the time and read the FATE rulebooks cover-to-cover so often the binding fell apart. FATE fans think there's a great idea at the heart of the game that hasn't quite come into full focus yet, and they're excited at seeing it improve, while D&D fans believe that perfection was achieved in 1979 or 2003 or something and everything since then has been ill-thought out muddling of the true D&D experience.

dwarf74 posted:

Some dude made a thread where he said, "I'm losing interest because digital support isn't there and there are like no releases." And man... He's getting bitched out for it over like 60 pages.
That whole thread is great. No OGL or supplements or online tools? Hmmph, it's a good thing I'm smart and creative enough to play D&D without needing all that stuff :smug:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

bunnielab posted:

How did I forget about Kobolds!?!?

This might be best, and it seems like there are a lot of games out there.

I still like the idea of playing 1st or 2nd edition but I think that might only really be fun as a face to face thing so beer can be involved.

In all honesty, there are a lot of games that do the NotD&D thing well. Some of which -- like DW and 13th age, which were previously mentioned -- can be viewed and played for free.

What I am about is neither an exhaustive list, all good, free, nor are all the games ones I endorse, but this list is a rather good list of NotD&D games in-case you play the ones we've suggested and honestly feel that they're not for you. Here is the list. I hope that isn't intimidating. In all honesty, considering your preferences, I suggest Dungeon World. I just thought the list might be helpful.

I've seen this game before and it might have been recommended for a similar question I may have asked (had Deja Vu asking it). Is it any good? Its deck system seemed a bit cumbersome.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

That whole thread is great. No OGL or supplements or online tools? Hmmph, it's a good thing I'm smart and creative enough to play D&D without needing all that stuff :smug:
I know, right? It's just such a morass of "shut up I love it it's perfect go play something else" it's almost beautiful.

No releases scheduled for 2015? THIS EDITION IS SOARING!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My favorite fantasy RPG might still be the modified DragonQuest game we played in high school. It was unbalanced as poo poo but magicians could kill themselves by falling a casting roll or summoners could get murdered if they accidentally summoned a demon, or even just the same celestial too many times. Of course, the one guy who didn't murder himself before gaining a few levels became relatively super powered and threw off the balance.

In that vein, what's a good RPG for giving heroes enough fantastical rope to hang themselves with? I guess Dungeon World qualifies, to some extent.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If you want a game where wizards are in danger of blowing themselves up the go-to answer is some version of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hey what was the fantasy game from the 1980s/90s that had the critical hit tables, pages and pages of them, based on where and what kind of attack hit the player? Like a table for getting hit in the limb by an electrical attack, or the torso with a slicing attack? I remember half of the head shots being "you're dead" but getting progressively more gruesome and horrible. I can't remember and it's eating at me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey what was the fantasy game from the 1980s/90s that had the critical hit tables, pages and pages of them, based on where and what kind of attack hit the player? Like a table for getting hit in the limb by an electrical attack, or the torso with a slicing attack? I remember half of the head shots being "you're dead" but getting progressively more gruesome and horrible. I can't remember and it's eating at me.

Rolemaster?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Might be Dark Heresy, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Might be Dark Heresy, too.

Dark Heresy is neither fantasy nor from the 80s/90s, nor does it have locational crit tables. :v:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Kai Tave posted:

some version of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying.

?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

fez_machine posted:

The closest that's come to a 4e tactics game is https://www.cardhunter.com but even then it's not a 1:1 replication.

This got passed over but everyone should give it a try. It's a great game with an old-school aesthetic and features bonus Gamemaster Grog telling you how his game isn't for intellectual weaklings.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 10, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Covok posted:

Rolemaster?

Yes, Rolemaster.

Aka "the true father of D&D 3e".

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Dark Heresy is neither fantasy nor from the 80s/90s, nor does it have locational crit tables. :v:

Well it has the latter in the sense that each hit location has its own separate critical hit table. It doesn't have "you got a crit so you shoot them in the *roll roll* spleen."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes, Rolemaster.

Aka "the true father of D&D 3e".

As someone who has never played rolemaster, care to explain?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Well it has the latter in the sense that each hit location has its own separate critical hit table. It doesn't have "you got a crit so you shoot them in the *roll roll* spleen."

Yeah. This sounds like Rolemaster if he's sure it's an 80s game, or otherwise something like Riddle of Steel.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Covok posted:

Rolemaster

This was it, thank you so much. It was right on the tip of my tongue and driving me crazy.

Edit: I remember it being absolute garbage, too. Just outrageously deadly.

Edit2: Yup. From Wikipedia:

quote:

For combat each character has an Offensive Bonus (OB), which takes into account one's natural physical adeptness, weapon skill, and other factors, and a Defensive Bonus (DB), which takes into account natural agility, the use of shields and "Adrenal Defense", the ability of martial artists to avoid blows seemingly without effort. In addition various modifiers for position, wounds, and other factors are present.

An attacking combatant rolls percentile dice, adds his or her OB to the total, adds modifiers, and subtracts the defender's DB. The total is then applied to a table for the attacker's weapon. The attack total is cross-indexed with the type of armor (if any) worn by the defender and the result will be a number of concussion hits dealt, which are then subtracted from the defender's running total. If sufficient hits are dealt, the defender may go unconscious, but death seldom results purely from concussion hit damage.

In addition to concussion hits, however, a critical hit can be dealt by the result on the weapon table. These are described by type (slash, crush, puncture, etc.) and by severity (generally A through E, with E being the most severe). Critical Hits (or simply "crits"), can inflict additional concussion hits, bleeding (subtracted from concussion hits at the start of each new round), broken bones, loss of limbs or extremities, internal organ damage and outright death.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 10, 2015

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Sounds like Rolemaster as other's have mentioned and specifically the Arms/Claw/Spell Law supplements for that system.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Covok posted:

1) Monte Cook got his start writing and editing Rolemaster supplements
2) Some Rolemaster features (especially move-in-different-armors as a purchasable class skill) got baked into D&D3E pretty good

The core 3E mechanic (die roll + mods vs. difficulty-adjusted target number) is from Ars Magica (by Jon Tweet, one of the other 3E designers)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Edit: I remember it being absolute garbage, too.
RM was perfectly fine as a 1980s D&D-only-more-complicated fantasy RPG.

There's no reason anyone should have anything to do with it now, of course.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

If you want a game where wizards are in danger of blowing themselves up the go-to answer is some version of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying.

That's cool, but I already have a bad game that fits the bill. I was hoping for an alternative that's actually okay-to-good. Unless WFP is a better game than it sounds from the name.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

FMguru posted:

Well that sure as gently caress explains a lot.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dwarf74 posted:

I can tell I am not quite as involved with gaming as I used to be given that in my mind D&D Next just came out but I am now realizing it came out long enough ago that even people who liked it are already getting sick of it.

I really do need to get around to trying 4th Edition one of these days :haw:

Kai Tave posted:

Wasn't there also supposed to be a Numenera game by the old Planescape: Torment crew that everyone was super hype for? Whatever happened to that?
IT IS GONNNNNA BEEEEEE AAAAAAAAAAWESOOOOOOOOOOOOME STILL HYPED

I even bought all the Numenera books in a Gen-Con Auction deal JUST SO I CAN UNDERSTAND THE VIDEO GAME PREEMPTIVELY

Even though I have no doubt it is nothing particularly revelatory or fascinating. I mean, I also own a copy of Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes solely because they based one of my favorite video games on its rules. Basically I am a computer game fanboy who likes paintings of barbarians

Covok posted:

Rolemaster has a supplement book that is all critical hits

It also has a supplement book (technically system-agnostic but still) that is just endless lists of equipment.

I freely admit that I own both of these things, but honestly I have more often cited them in academic papers than gamed with them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FMguru posted:

2) Some Rolemaster features (especially move-in-different-armors as a purchasable class skill) got baked into D&D3E pretty good

The core 3E mechanic (die roll + mods vs. difficulty-adjusted target number) is from Ars Magica (by Jon Tweet, one of the other 3E designers)

Also, Rolemaster is ludicrously complicated, just like 3.x

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Between Numenera being a Monte Cook creation and the sales pitch for the videogame sounding like an explicit ripoff of PS:T trying to ride nostalgia for a good game, I have zero expectations for that game being worth a drat, but that's just me.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Slimnoid posted:

Well that sure as gently caress explains a lot.
Doesn't it? He edited the RM Companion books, which were compilations of additional rules and classes and tables and crits and subsystems, because core RM just wasn't complicated enough, y'know?

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

PerniciousKnid posted:

In that vein, what's a good RPG for giving heroes enough fantastical rope to hang themselves with? I guess Dungeon World qualifies, to some extent.

You might find Dungeon Crawl Classics to be worth a look - its talked about in the Older D&D & Retroclone thread. If not the Spellburn, Corruption, Patron Taint and Spell Misfire mechanics seem like the sort of thing you're looking for and might be worth adapting to your system of choice.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PerniciousKnid posted:

That's cool, but I already have a bad game that fits the bill. I was hoping for an alternative that's actually okay-to-good. Unless WFP is a better game than it sounds from the name.

Well if your criteria for a good game is "I don't think the name sounds dumb" then I'm not really sure how to help you.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

PurpleXVI posted:

Between Numenera being a Monte Cook creation and the sales pitch for the videogame sounding like an explicit ripoff of PS:T trying to ride nostalgia for a good game, I have zero expectations for that game being worth a drat, but that's just me.
I cannot say much about the first part, but I mean, they did put together as much of the original Planescape: Torment team as they were able. It is not quite like when Beamdog was like "hmm, we made some OK tweaks to Baldur's Gate I and II, I bet WE could make Baldur's Gate III!" which is really much more worrying to me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Numenera, based on every detailed review I've read on it, is Monte Cook as gently caress. It's a game where you have three classes, Fighter, Wizard, and Fighter/Wizard, and Fighters get special abilities like "+X to damage" while Wizards get to warp reality in bigger and better ways. Meanwhile, your stats are also your spendable resources which means that as your Fighter spends points to do stuff they run a bigger and bigger risk of getting chumped.

It's also full of hilarious, half-baked implementations of things that other games have done before and better, like its "GM intrusions" being an awkward not-quite-compel ala Fate and how certain character backgrounds do things like "pick one of your fellow PCs, whenever you botch an attack it winds up hitting them instead."

Even the setting, which is ostensibly a big draw, just makes me think of Gamma World, a much better game in most respects.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's p. much a dead industry now that videogames exist and honestly there won't be anything bigger than a few dudes selling pdfs in less than 10 years.

Roleplaying is much stronger than it's ever been. Tabletop games are becoming chic. There's plenty of room for P&P and eP&P games to thrive.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Honestly the fact that it's a Monte Cook game is the main thing that's preventing me from buying The Strange, even though it's a game that is completely and utterly in my thematic wheelhouse.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly the fact that it's a Monte Cook game is the main thing that's preventing me from buying The Strange, even though it's a game that is completely and utterly in my thematic wheelhouse.

That's probably a good decision. The Strange runs on the same system as Numenera which isn't anything to write home to momma about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
What would you (the thread) think of a video game based on a *World or Fate property? How would the storygame format translate into a video game?

• Locked thread