Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, 5e has that D&D Feel(tm)

Ehh I was wrong about that. Next NEXT release is Faerun character options. Bunch of new archetypes, domains, patrons. Some fluff for Bards and Druids. No actual spells. The new Fighter Archetype is closer to being a Warlord than what's in the PHB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

That's probably a good decision. The Strange runs on the same system as Numenera which isn't anything to write home to momma about.

I just want a modern not-poo poo version of Torg. Is that too much to ask? :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
A friend of mine bought the Monte Cook "City by the Spire" book which was this 640 page omnibus of this gigantic city for adventuring and it was just horrendous. Just pages and pages of minutae about where shops are located, who the shopkeeper is, what they look like, street names, etc. At least 75% of what I saw skimming it was just totally banal stuff that wouldn't even make a guidebook for the average city. Something is very wrong with Monte Cook.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kai Tave posted:

Numenera, based on every detailed review I've read on it, is Monte Cook as gently caress. It's a game where you have three classes, Fighter, Wizard, and Fighter/Wizard, and Fighters get special abilities like "+X to damage" while Wizards get to warp reality in bigger and better ways. Meanwhile, your stats are also your spendable resources which means that as your Fighter spends points to do stuff they run a bigger and bigger risk of getting chumped.

It's also full of hilarious, half-baked implementations of things that other games have done before and better, like its "GM intrusions" being an awkward not-quite-compel ala Fate and how certain character backgrounds do things like "pick one of your fellow PCs, whenever you botch an attack it winds up hitting them instead."

Even the setting, which is ostensibly a big draw, just makes me think of Gamma World, a much better game in most respects.
Well you're forgetting the problem too in that technically speaking how you get XP is completely divorced from anything related to Dungeons and Dragons. I wouldn't mind the game as much if it was a Dungeon Crawl but it isn't supposed to be a Dungeon Crawl which makes the whole Wizard, Fighter, Rogue distinction really odd.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Simian_Prime posted:

What would you (the thread) think of a video game based on a *World or Fate property? How would the storygame format translate into a video game?

Poorly. A big part of those games is, in my experience, wrapped up in ongoing dialogue and playing off the other players and the GM and a lot less on "fight monsters, steal treasures, grind XP, rinse repeat" that you can more easily turn into a CRPG even if it still winds up a story on rails for the most part.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

It's also full of hilarious, half-baked implementations of things that other games have done before and better, like its "GM intrusions" being an awkward not-quite-compel ala Fate and how certain character backgrounds do things like "pick one of your fellow PCs, whenever you botch an attack it winds up hitting them instead."
There are a lot of people out there who say that Fate compels are "being punished", but love Numenera. Despite the fact that compels are basically being rewarded for playing your character as written (which you can resist) but intrusions are the GM basically forcing you to follow his plot and tossing you a few XP.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kai Tave posted:

Numenara is exactly what you'd expect from someone who cut his teeth doing Rolemaster add-ons trying to make their own FATE/HeroQuest/PbTA-style narrative game, combined with a rules-grognard's understanding of the writing of Gene Wolfe and Jack Vance.

The FATAL & Friends thread writeup was hilarious, and worth tracking down.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kai Tave posted:

Poorly. A big part of those games is, in my experience, wrapped up in ongoing dialogue and playing off the other players and the GM and a lot less on "fight monsters, steal treasures, grind XP, rinse repeat" that you can more easily turn into a CRPG even if it still winds up a story on rails for the most part.

Yeah, very, very badly. When the game is 'describe what's going on, occasionally that description trips a roll or ability' that's not going to go into a computer game at all.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you'd basically need a strong ai for it to come close to working

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The Turing Test will first be passed when a programmer becomes so desperate to find a group to play Apocalypse World they resort to making one instead.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm thinking about starting a Kickstarter to keep Foo fed and sheltered for a few years so he can focus exclusively on running AW.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just want a modern not-poo poo version of Torg. Is that too much to ask? :(
Yes.

But I, too, wake anew each morning full of the same fervid hope.

Just as I know to dread once more the search for Gen-Con TORG games only to, as always, find "All Hail King Torg" as the only near-hit.

Still, Ulisses-Spiele must have something good planned for the future, right?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

A friend of mine bought the Monte Cook "City by the Spire" book which was this 640 page omnibus of this gigantic city for adventuring and it was just horrendous. Just pages and pages of minutae about where shops are located, who the shopkeeper is, what they look like, street names, etc. At least 75% of what I saw skimming it was just totally banal stuff that wouldn't even make a guidebook for the average city. Something is very wrong with Monte Cook.

Remember that Monte Cook also wrote Ptolus which was an even more massive (I think like 800 pages) city book based off of his D&D games if I recall its history correctly. I've never known anyone who actually sat down and was like "yeah, I'm totally gonna use this 800 page city guide to run the ultimate campaign!" Game books like that mainly seem to exist as the equivalent of a coffee table book or curio, people buy it to have an 800 page city book by Monte Cook. Actually using it doesn't seem to be much of a consideration.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

Remember that Monte Cook also wrote Ptolus which was an even more massive (I think like 800 pages) city book based off of his D&D games if I recall its history correctly. I've never known anyone who actually sat down and was like "yeah, I'm totally gonna use this 800 page city guide to run the ultimate campaign!" Game books like that mainly seem to exist as the equivalent of a coffee table book or curio, people buy it to have an 800 page city book by Monte Cook. Actually using it doesn't seem to be much of a consideration.

I totally did buy an 800-page gargantuan RPG book set...

...But it was the Guide to Glorantha and I love it dearly.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

poo poo. I just looked up TORG, and this game looks amazing. What are the issues with it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Evil Sagan posted:

poo poo. I just looked up TORG, and this game looks amazing. What are the issues with it?

Read the F&F review of the mechanics and I think you'll see it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Sagan posted:

Basically everything.

The sightly more expanded version is that the rules are about on par with Rifts and the writers seem strangely reluctant to allow anyone to indulge in the sort of hijinks you'd expect from a game of various realities competing for dominance. Don't expect to go riding a dinosaur into Cyber-France to fight the agents of the Cyber-Pope along with your pulp adventure archaeologist buddy, because there are like a million fiddly loving rules in place designed to ruin your day for even thinking about trying to do that poo poo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

Let me tell you about Torg, a.k.a. "The Epitome of 90's RPG Design".

H did start that series of reviews over recently; now that I'm not going all over New Enlgand every week anymore I need to get off my rear end and start writing up the GodNet book.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Sagan posted:

The system is overwhelming and intrusive despite its forward-thinking stuff like narrative-changing cards. It's super crunchy as only a late 80's game can be. It takes a fun concept and sucks all the fun out of it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

Basically everything.

The sightly more expanded version is that the rules are about on par with Rifts and the writers seem strangely reluctant to allow anyone to indulge in the sort of hijinks you'd expect from a game of various realities competing for dominance. Don't expect to go riding a dinosaur into Cyber-France to fight the agents of the Cyber-Pope along with your pulp adventure archaeologist buddy, because there are like a million fiddly loving rules in place designed to ruin your day for even thinking about trying to do that poo poo.

Which is funny because, you know, why else would you be playing The Game of Magic Dimension Hopping Action Heroes except to ride a dinosaur into cyber-france?

Feng Shui made a lot of mistakes. Feng Shui still makes a lot of mistakes. But you know what mistake Feng Shui didn't make? "Hey, no, Jim, if you try to play a twisted future cyberdemon you can't ever actually be a cyberdemon alongside Joanna's Chinese Sorcerer or Bob's Everyman Hero or Steve's Kung Fu Dude."

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 11, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Simian_Prime posted:

What would you (the thread) think of a video game based on a *World or Fate property? How would the storygame format translate into a video game?

It wouldn't in any way, shape, or form, because you can't have a conversation with a computer.

I mean, you could do IF using 2d6+stat to select one of three responses to every situation, but that wouldn't be PbtA.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I actually bought Numenera just on the strength of the videogame's KS and found that while the system is garbage, the setting stuff is easily mined. I then also bought The Strange while it was on sale and its the same story, bad mechanics but a cool world. I could totally see myself running a game of Numenera or The Strange using Fate or even FAE. The Strange would be trickier with the translation mechanic, but I guess you could create a new set of stats pretty quickly and reuse them as you travel around.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Why would you need to redo all your stats?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Presumably because someone told Monte Cook about Eclipse Phase.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dwarf74 posted:

The system is overwhelming and intrusive despite its forward-thinking stuff like narrative-changing cards. It's super crunchy as only a late 80's game can be. It takes a fun concept and sucks all the fun out of it.
It is not that this is objectively wrong, as obviously the absorption rules in practice seem to exist to ruin your character. But if you treat TORG as a super-lethal game akin to Call of Cthulhu rather than an epic adventure like Dungeons & Dragons, it makes more sense.

Night10194 posted:

Which is funny because, you know, why else would you be playing The Game of Magic Dimension Hopping Action Heroes except to ride a dinosaur into cyber-france?
There are certainly compelling stories to tell without bumping into the "roll two 1s in a row and stop having fun" mechanic, but, yeah. If you can imagine, the seemingly most common TORG house rule was "unlimited absorptions." That pretty much singlehandedly solved the "why would I want to get invested in this campaign" problem, even if not the "exploding dice means your ninja dies for sure if he gets hit" mechanic.

Between the amazing setting (which is easy enough to steal and use in any game system with multiple available settings; both the D20 and Savage Worlds TORG-inspired campaigns my gaming group has done were hilariously fun) and the cards and the 1990s gaming zeitgeist, it was just fantastic. But yeah, it needs help now. PLEASE, GERMAN COMPANY! FIX IT!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Why would you need to redo all your stats?

When your character translates to a different world, you can change into a new body/get different, comparable skills. So like when you go to the weird sci-fi world your doctor becomes like a cybersurgeon or whatever. Depending on how crunchy you want to get, I suppose you could either just swap skill names or go ham and come up with whole new skills for different worlds. I also imagine if you turn into an elf or whatever you'd want some different stunts and maybe aspects.

I suppose its a decision to make with your players on how complicated you want to get, but it's hard to outdo the rules in the book itself.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Quarex posted:

It is not that this is objectively wrong, as obviously the absorption rules in practice seem to exist to ruin your character. But if you treat TORG as a super-lethal game akin to Call of Cthulhu rather than an epic adventure like Dungeons & Dragons, it makes more sense.
I double-dog-dare you to make a spell. :smugwizard:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dwarf74 posted:

:stare:

Maybe this is why nobody was ever from Aysle.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I tried to make a D&D setting but all the town names turned into bad puns so now it's Dragon Quest-based

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

You laugh, but I'm going to try that when I get to the Asyle book in my review.

No, really. I'm going to try and make a spell.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

You laugh, but I'm going to try that when I get to the Asyle book in my review.

No, really. I'm going to try and make a spell.
I do laugh. I couldn't even get it done when I was a wee high school nerd with limitless free time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Quarex posted:

Didn't it bill itself as more epic world-hopping pulp adventure, though? Extra-pulpy if you went to the Literally A Pulp Setting cosm.

Also I remember Evil Mastermind pointing out pregens that were things like non-Cybercatholic native people with cyberware so they'd be tripping over the reality contradiction rules constantly. It really feels like they didn't actually sit down and think about the implications of those rules.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Make an elf or giant spellcaster to cast it for extra self-flagellation.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zereth posted:

Didn't it bill itself as more epic world-hopping pulp adventure, though? Extra-pulpy if you went to the Literally A Pulp Setting cosm.
Yes. The default tone is supposed to be "action movie", but as I show many times Torg had a really bog problem keeping the tone straight. The horror realm sourcebook has a whole section on how deadly that place is and "how am I supposed to have fun watching my character die?"

quote:

Also I remember Evil Mastermind pointing out pregens that were things like non-Cybercatholic native people with cyberware so they'd be tripping over the reality contradiction rules constantly. It really feels like they didn't actually sit down and think about the implications of those rules.
Torg spends a lot of time setting up the Unchangable Permantent Metaversally Constant Rules Of How Reality Interaction Works And Nothing Can Change Them, but then contradict them in the game fluff. For instance, one of the hard rules about transformation is "living to living, unliving to unliving", which means that if you have a prosthetic arm of any tech level and go to a world where that level of tech doesn't exist, you don't magically get your flesh-and-blood arm back. Things can't transform from organic to inorganic or vice versa.

Except in the Cyberpapacy, where people are described as spontaneously getting cybernetics out of nowhere during a major reality-altering metaplot event.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blockhouse posted:

I tried to make a D&D setting but all the town names turned into bad puns so now it's Dragon Quest-based

GOOD.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Thing is, this is exactly what most 3.x fans want in my experience. For far too many people, minutia and metagaming is what constitutes as "immersion."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ProfessorCirno posted:

Thing is, this is exactly what most 3.x fans want in my experience. For far too many people, minutia and metagaming is what constitutes as "immersion."
I am not one of these people, but it is easy to see how people whose gamemasters are not experts at thinking on their feet and who want to play in a sandbox-type game would benefit from endless roughly-sketched worldbuilding material.

Me, I find that creating a list of interesting character names and just making a note when you assign that person to join the story at random is the totality of gamemaster planning needed for vaguely believable worlds. Since otherwise you end up accidentally having the players meet a half-dozen people with the same name :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quarex posted:

Me, I find that creating a list of interesting character names and just making a note when you assign that person to join the story at random is the totality of gamemaster planning needed for vaguely believable worlds. Since otherwise you end up accidentally having the players meet a half-dozen people with the same name :(

That's why I have a copy of the Story-Games Names book.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 11, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I find this link very useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

I could write endless minutiae for gaming because I love designing worlds and whatnot, but I realize that's exactly the sort of thing I hate to build around because it feels so constraining. I'll admit that I love reading it, but I know some of my players do too and having them try to contradict me when I go off-book isn't fun and I feel like it is a creativity killer for them too when I try to ask them about the world.

I like my published worlds to have big gaps in them where I can fill it in myself and improv when I feel like I need to without worrying about conflicting with the "facts" of the world.

But then again I don't play 3.X anymore for a reason I guess.

• Locked thread