Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sloober posted:

Alliance victory conditions in both are so unsatisfying it's like you wasted a couple of hours to win by saying "Hey if we ally we win".

Isn't that mitigated by increased victory requirements and timing restrictions (and maybe treachery cards)?

Also, anyone feel like Dune would've been a better basis than Diplomacy+ for a Game of Thrones game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Is Yomi on iOS worth getting for $10?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Man, I can't imagine how crappy it must be to be stuck with a group of players who dislike games where you can mess with other players and be confrontational and the like because christ does that end up eliminating a lot of good games from the mix. Ya'll have my sympathy or something.

Merauder posted:

Maybe! If you want to see if it's worth the dosh, you can give the game a spin for free at its online implementation here: http://www.fantasystrike.com/

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Man, I can't imagine how crappy it must be to be stuck with a group of players who dislike games where you can mess with other players and be confrontational and the like because christ does that end up eliminating a lot of good games from the mix. Ya'll have my sympathy or something.

I've seen this sort of attitude crop up before in competitive games. If I had to guess I'd say it's a combination of nobody wanting to be "the jerk" combined with previous experiences playing games where it's possible to eliminate someone early and just basically screw them utterly.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It happens when the first person to look like they know what they're doing and get ahead in any way becomes the common enemy and everyone dogpiles them. Therefore any conflict launched on another player must be defused and positioned as a "sorry about this but I have to and it doesn't even really hurt you much or help me anyway" or the herd freaks.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I love Wiz-War specifically because of the no, gently caress you and kingmaking. But it's only fun because it's over in less than 30 minutes. If it was 3 hours long it'd be the worst thing ever. It captures the theme perfectly. The new version does require some house-ruling / "optional" rules.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Merauder posted:

In terms of price yes, the iOS version is a steal for the amount of content you get. If you mean is the game itself good? That's a lot harder to answer without knowing what you're looking for, but like Succient said you can just try the game for free online to see how you like the systems.

I will say that it gets significantly better if you have reliable opponents to play against, either other friends who buy the app or people from here/Sirlin's forum who play with you.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Countblanc posted:

In terms of price yes, the iOS version is a steal for the amount of content you get. If you mean is the game itself good? That's a lot harder to answer without knowing what you're looking for, but like Succient said you can just try the game for free online to see how you like the systems.

I will say that it gets significantly better if you have reliable opponents to play against, either other friends who buy the app or people from here/Sirlin's forum who play with you.

Wait it doesn't have any matchmaking?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

burger time posted:

Wait it doesn't have any matchmaking?

It does, but as a game it really excels when you play sets against people consistently instead of just taking who the game throws at you*. You're actually able to rematch someone after matchmaking, so it isn't like you're necessarily one and done, but it's not quite the same thing as having a consistent opponent to play against a few times a week. That and sometimes there just aren't a lot of people playing.

*I pretty much feel this way with any sort of competitive game though and always prefer sets over tournament or matchmaking formats so feel free to disregard that opinion if you don't mind them

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

It happens when the first person to look like they know what they're doing and get ahead in any way becomes the common enemy and everyone dogpiles them. Therefore any conflict launched on another player must be defused and positioned as a "sorry about this but I have to and it doesn't even really hurt you much or help me anyway" or the herd freaks.

That's how all my games go. Players are new and play cautiously until someone disturbs the status quo, then everyone uses that casus belli as cover to attack without appearing aggressive. Lack of experience is probably a factor as much as past bad experiences.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I pretty much get dogpiled on in most games just because I always win :smug:

and usually brought the game and/or have played it more times

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Also, Rex is not set in the Dune universe. This is obvious, but Dune is a great universe for a political area control board game, and the theme and you knowledge of the setting supposedly improves the experience a fair bit.

Yeah the Dune board game is dripping with actual Dune flavor, to such a degree that there is no way Rex could feel as immersive (I've never actualy played Rex). Every faction will give you a little "hmmm, yeah that's appropriate for the setting awesome!" moment when you read their rules. My favorite is the Bene Gesserits who can win the game by predicting the turn and faction that actually wins :v: It;s like how all the C&C games are based on Dune and don't make a lot of sense outside of that context. Spice Harvesters turn into Tiberium harvesters and everything becomes kind of dumb; the mechanics are the same but they don't make any kind of real sense any more.

You should instead make your own copy of the Dune game. Its cheaper than buying Rex and making board games is a fun pass time. There is a great Print and Play version out there (as well as scan of the original components in seedier places):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDlbzC93UD0

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Bubble-T posted:

Played some 2v2 Tash-Kalar last night, I partnered with my wife against our newly married friends.

It only took one game for the wife to start asking her husband how he could be so confusing and useless, game owns :D

It's not in the list of mechanics on BGG, you can see them if you do an advanced search. They have "Tile Placement" and "Modular Board" as options though.

I tried this out too and really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. It gives me flashbacks to bridge sessions where your partner looks at you with murder eyes as you keep raising your bid except that the whole game is like that. The 2v2 high form variant is really, really well done and I'm surprised there aren't more games that use that bridge dynamic of making communication vital and then strictly limiting everything you can say.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

It gives me flashbacks to bridge sessions where your partner looks at you with murder eyes as you keep raising your bid except that the whole game is like that.

Yes, this exactly - I've played a lot of 500 and get the same feelings. It is really, really good.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
The problem is that outside of the theme Rex is just plain a better version that keeps everything good about Dune and plays in half the time.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Did some boardgaming at PAX East, with a variety of Serious Gamers and Funhavers. Managed to avoid Munchkin and Catan, as well as anything zombie themed, so there's a bonus.

Games we played and minor thoughts on each....

Mage Knight 2P co-op, intro scenario. My friend bought this game two years ago to play at PAX East 2013, and we played it twice that year, and it's been boxed since. We loved the game but have no time to play it. So, we reintroduced ourselves to the game and remembered how much we liked it. I think I need to learn the Vassal stuff so we can PBEM it, because having to relearn it every year is too painful.... We literally spent an hour setting it up and reading the rules, and then started to play.

Resistance 8 players, several of which were strangers to me. A fun time, but I suck at this game in general, and especially suck at it when playing with strangers because I have trouble remembering deductions about unfamiliar faces for some reason. Still, we had fun and played it a couple times.

Race for the Galaxy 4 players, several games. Everyone had fun with this game; much quicker and easier to set up than other games that scratch the same itch. I know it has its faults and is not a thread favorite, but I like it enough and was glad to get some time with it.

Tiny Epic Defenders we played this several times, with 3 to 5 players. I kickstarted this, and it's fun. It's a nice spot on the co-op defense continuum, more complex and gamey than Castle Panic, but seemingly less complex than Pandemic and Forbidden Desert. Nice quality (for the price) components (even if the art is kind of goofy) helps.

Descent:2E. We played this three times over the weekend, once each day, with the same characters. As a RPG veteran it was a very intuitive and fairly lightweight tactical game, but non-RPGers in the group had a bit more of a learning curve. We beat the poo poo out of the Overlord in the first two scenarios and then he pulled out the stops and kicked our heads in wonderfully at the end. This was about as much RPG depth as I needed in my PAX weekend; I've done "real" RPGs at PAX before and it's such a mixed bag, plus you're trying to get into character and hear everyone over the cacophony of everything...

Star Realms. I dig this game on my iPad; it's a great timewaster and wonderfully presented and I like that a single purchase works cross-platform. It's fine as an Ascension substitute which is fine as a different feel than Dominion. We had fun with it a couple times and put it away.

Lagoon: Land of Druids 2 players. I kickstarted this based on its art, and never played it until this weekend. I was disappointed in this; the game is so goddamn beautiful, and I really wanted to love it, but I couldn't. I lost, but I don't think that's why... I want to someday try it with three players. We took a look at the game after we finished it, because it was such a one-sided beating. We couldn't see an obvious spot where I could have come back, because of the choices we both made early in the game which didn't seem important at the time. I'm guessing I should have realized this early and took corrective action, but since it was our first time playing the game it was hard to see the pattern until it was obvious, and once it was obvious it was over.

7 Wonders Always a favorite, this played nice and fast even with 6 players.

Game of Thrones: Board Game We set this up with 6 players but then one had to drop out, so we played with 5. I am bad at this kind of game; I have bad instincts for when to strike and when to consolidate power and tend to stand by and try not to lose while others play to win. And as we know in Game of Thrones, you either win or you die. I died. I can't help but feel that losing a player unbalances the game; either that or everyone needs to push hard to make sure the people who start near the neutral kingdoms can't capitalize too much on them. The game was wonderfully thematic and nerdy and complex and fun, but a bit too long for a game where you could basically be weakened into irrelevance early.

Province Another kickstarter game, a very simple worker placement game. Played fast and fun, no obvious problems in a single playthrough, but felt like an appetizer.

BattleCON This was interesting; it mimicked the ebb and flow of a fighting game very well. It looked more like a hobby than a game; an intimidating box filled with decks of cards, ranked by complexity of play. Still, the overall idea was fairly intuitive. I can see how someone insisting on running the numbers every turn could make it slow -- but as novices we just tried to keep the theme of our opponents in mind (they're fast, I should not let them run away from me, they like to hit hard I should hit fast and retreat while they are stunned) instead of running the odds on every hand.

Forbidden Desert I liked this quite a bit. I've played Forbidden Island quite a few times, and this seemed like a better, richer version of that game. We played with five players, all novices, and lost on multiple fronts. But it was a great time and we all immediately wanted to try again with what we had learned, but we'd run out of time.

Tiny Epic Kingdoms was fun; I've played it a few times with people at work and this was a quick time killer in between other games. We assigned races randomly which seemed fair but also meant that people had to alter their playing style from their comfort zone. I think some kind of "pick from these 3 random cards" would help alleviate that a bit...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Welp, I just bought a copy of the Black Box.

https://twitter.com/AsmadiGames/status/575311019297341440

quote:

Who out there likes Glory to Rome? :D

quote:

@AsmadiGames I do! Are you getting the rights?!?!?!

Chris Cieslik ‏@AsmadiGames 11h11 hours ago
@FarmerLenny Not to the original -- working on something new!

I guess it's possible that it's a new Glory to Rome-like game that's not Uchronia.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 11, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I really like this guy's game overviews. Not sure if they're a goon, I think I originally saw the channel on Reddit.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Got to play two new games today, Deus and Village. I really like Deus and am wondering if anyone has played it a bunch and if it holds up after several games or if you get burnt out on it or basically what the thread thoughts are on it. It seemed pretty solid, the balance felt alright, I could see it being a potential purchase. As for Village, I feel like I didn't quite grasp the explanation that well and the board really needs some better visual design (just some lines to box in the areas that are related to the place where you put the cubes would be nice) but it was alright and I ended up in second place over the two people who owned it. I wasn't supremely hyped by it but it was a nice, short Euro that didn't feel like it compromised any complexity. Does anyone have any recommendations of shorter Euros (or anything, really, if it is sufficiently interesting and complex)? I feel like most of the games I gravitate towards are long-ish (Agricola, Argent, Chaos in the Old World).

SnowDog posted:

Game of Thrones: Board Game We set this up with 6 players but then one had to drop out, so we played with 5. I am bad at this kind of game; I have bad instincts for when to strike and when to consolidate power and tend to stand by and try not to lose while others play to win. And as we know in Game of Thrones, you either win or you die. I died. I can't help but feel that losing a player unbalances the game; either that or everyone needs to push hard to make sure the people who start near the neutral kingdoms can't capitalize too much on them. The game was wonderfully thematic and nerdy and complex and fun, but a bit too long for a game where you could basically be weakened into irrelevance early.

The thread advice that came up when I was talking about this before is that if you are short on players, you should just black out the neutral areas and not use them because being next to a neutral area is too much of an advantage and it skews the game measurably in the favour of those who are near them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Lord Frisk posted:

Somebody had a prestige system that bolted on to make the game less rear end, but I don't have a link unfortunately

I have a link!

Because it was mine.

EBag
May 18, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations of shorter Euros (or anything, really, if it is sufficiently interesting and complex)?

Race/Roll for the Galaxy are both really good tableu builders, usually takes 30-45 minutes.

Istanbul is a pretty fun sorta worker placement with a spatial element, you're moving around a board dropping off workers, but when you run out you have to go back to pick them up so you have to come with good routes around the board. Scales nicely from 2-5 and takes 40-60 minutes.

And I just got Glass Road last week and have played one game so far, it feels a bit like a super fast version of Ora et Labora mixed with an action selection mechanic a little bit like RftG. It took us 40 minutes to do a 2 player game and I can easily see it being doable in 30. Was quite enjoyable and it seems like there should be a good amount of variability because there's tons of different buildings in the game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bubble-T posted:

I really like this guy's game overviews. Not sure if they're a goon, I think I originally saw the channel on Reddit.

Lorini posted his Argent review like ten or twenty pages back (ie three days ago). Not a goon, afaik, but a really solid consistent reviewer. If you're burned out on susd or tavletop or whatever, give this guy a try.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Blamestorm posted:

The problem is that outside of the theme Rex is just plain a better version that keeps everything good about Dune and plays in half the time.

If you cut the number of rounds of Dune to the same number as Rex it, too, will play in half the time and sync up with Rex. Dune's hard ending is at 15 rounds.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bubble-T posted:

He reviewed Mermaid Rain. Get's an A+ in my eyes.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

djfooboo posted:

He reviewed Mermaid Rain. Get's an A+ in my eyes.

Yeah that game actually sounds legit and I'm sad I didn't buy it for :10bux: ages ago.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bubble-T posted:

Yeah that game actually sounds legit and I'm sad I didn't buy it for :10bux: ages ago.

I played Mermaid Rain once. It was actually pretty fun.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

homullus posted:

Since it is a game with worker placement and role selection, you do have a larger up-front time investment when it comes to learning/teaching the game.
Probably won't be much of an issue - we did manage to learn Arkham Horror, after all!

homullus posted:

I don't think it is number-crunchy at all, though. It could be AP-exacerbating, depending on the AP-prone person. It is not a game of out-calculating your opponents, seeing five moves ahead, et cetera, except to the extent that your opponents' moves may reveal their hidden objectives -- the changing balance of the archipelago/crises, changing markets, and disappearing evolution cards mean you just can't do that much advance planning.
I watched a rules explanation video after reading your post and it definitely seems to mitigate potential AP for this kind of game a lot. Although there's several things you could do on the action board on a given turn, it does seem that you can't plan that much ahead.

Thanks for your answers! I'll probably get the game. Now to try and convince my friends to play it!

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light
Hey guys, I'd like some help. My group and I have been playing BSG (with Pegasus Expansion), Game of Thrones and X-Com lately; we also tried Axis&Allies and while it was fun, it took too drat long. So we're basically looking for games made for 4-8 players, with a playing time of 2 hours tops. Half of the group is also very prone to AP and mostly discouraged by long downtime (that's why A&A took so long and wasn't as fun as the others!). I know I could just go and type those lines into the BGG search engine, but I'd rather have some recommendations first from experienced players.

I've been looking at Pandemic, Arkham Horror and Gears of War TBG, but I dunno if they'll fit well into our group. I'm also open to any other recommendations ya'll might have.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

4-8 is kind of an awkward range, you're not going to find a lot of games that work well at both the top and bottom end of that range. The only one that jumps to mind(and it doesn't work with 8, though it does with 7) to me is 7 Wonders.

I have not played Arkham Horror but it is poorly regarded within this thread.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Elyv posted:

4-8 is kind of an awkward range, you're not going to find a lot of games that work well at both the top and bottom end of that range. The only one that jumps to mind(and it doesn't work with 8, though it does with 7) to me is 7 Wonders.

7 Wonders works with 8 with the Cities expansion, I believe. But the real answer is to split up into 2 games. I recommend that the AP prone people waste each other's time while the other people can play a game they would enjoy.

Also I guess party games like Dixit and Coup would work.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
It only does 7 but Samurai Spirit would be a good fit. Easy set up, very simple turn structure and short playtime. You're more likely to fail a few times and develop an overarching team strategy than spend ages agonising over complex decisions too.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

SandersPacheco posted:

Hey guys, I'd like some help. My group and I have been playing BSG (with Pegasus Expansion), Game of Thrones and X-Com lately; we also tried Axis&Allies and while it was fun, it took too drat long. So we're basically looking for games made for 4-8 players, with a playing time of 2 hours tops. Half of the group is also very prone to AP and mostly discouraged by long downtime (that's why A&A took so long and wasn't as fun as the others!). I know I could just go and type those lines into the BGG search engine, but I'd rather have some recommendations first from experienced players.

I've been looking at Pandemic, Arkham Horror and Gears of War TBG, but I dunno if they'll fit well into our group. I'm also open to any other recommendations ya'll might have.

Meaty 4-8 player games are the holy grail of board gaming, there are few that really do it well. I'd suggest Eclipse with the expansion that allows up to 9, it allows two players to take their turn at once which speeds up the game considerably. Otherwise you can try Eldritch Horror (do NOT go for Arkham) if you want something co-op, but it's super dice heavy which can be annoying.

Or if you want something lighter, there's Dixit Odyssey and Ladies and Gentlemen which can go up to 8 really well.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

SandersPacheco posted:

If you're going to look at Arkham Horror look at Eldritch horror instead, it's better in pretty much every way with a bunch of things that are annoying as poo poo in AH trimmed out. EH is probably in that 2-3 hr range though. With 8 players you're probably better off doing 2-4p games.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SandersPacheco posted:

I'd suggest 7 Wonders (8 players with Cities), The Resistance, and Kemet (max 5 but I think the conquest-y gameplay would appeal). None of the games you mentioned are 8 player, so I assume you have some comfort with splitting into two groups. Thus I would suggest a good fast game like Hanabi, Love Letter or No Thanks to fill time when one group finishes early, although 7 Wonders may also fit the bill here.

Edit: I haven't played Eclipse but that's probably the answer, as mentioned.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Sloober posted:

With 8 players you're probably better off doing 2-4p games.

Also, this. It's one of the hardest things to get a group of friends to split off into two groups but it's totally necessary if you all want to play something actually satisfying.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Edit: I haven't played Eclipse but that's probably the answer, as mentioned.
You guys should stop recommending 8-player Eclipse to someone who said his group is very AP-prone and gets frustrated by downtime.

It's a great game, but playing 5+ players with slow people can turn into an all-day affair.

Splitting the group between two games is definitely a better solution, but you could always play something likeThe Resistance or Blood Bound first. They're pretty short and would leave time to get a "real" game or two in.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

You guys should stop recommending 8-player Eclipse to someone who said his group is very AP-prone and gets frustrated by downtime.

Yeah but apparently they play BSG and Game of Thrones without issue so I don't believe him. :shrug:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

It's a great game, but playing 5+ players with slow people can turn into an all-day affair.

Splitting the group between two games is definitely a better solution, but you could always play something likeThe Resistance or Blood Bound first. They're pretty short and would leave time to get a "real" game or two in.

I have heard of people playing the beginning of the game with 2 people going at once (opposite board sides) until it gets to where turn order matters, and then you go to normal mode.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

djfooboo posted:

I have heard of people playing the beginning of the game with 2 people going at once (opposite board sides) until it gets to where turn order matters, and then you go to normal mode.

Even 4 player Eclipse can take hours though.

7 Wonders really is one of the best games for large player counts due to simultaneous play. Race or Roll for the Galaxy have similar benefits, where simultaneous play shortens game length significantly.

Are there other good simultaneous games out there? Orleans is close enough to simultaneous in my book to count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Get two copies of Forbidden Desert :colbert: