Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lord Ephraim posted:

The day I care about Etrian Odyssey is when they finally get rid of first person view. The gameplay has looked solid from the start but I just can't get into a game where it's fighting textboxes....unless it's Earthbound. I can tolerate anime, random battles, bad voice acting, engrish localizations but no party animations and it's a no. I can't explain why.

Why are English localizations something to be tolerated? :confused:

e: Oh, it's an SAO jab, never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's okay, you can admit the games are too difficult for you.

Or maybe you're a weirdo that doesn't like drawing maps?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Etrian Mystery Dungeon might be worth a look, I guess.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So is Untold just a remake of the first and Untold 2 follows suit by being a remake of the 2nd? Also, what does Persona have to do with either of these games?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Etrian Mystery Dungeon might be worth a look, I guess.

I'm excited for Etrian Mystery Dungeon because there's a really sad and severe lack of Shiren the Wanderer in the world and I'll take anything I can get.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

So is Untold just a remake of the first and Untold 2 follows suit by being a remake of the 2nd? Also, what does Persona have to do with either of these games?

Yes, since those games are pretty outdated.

So it's annoying that the remake uses some of those outdated mechanics to be ~faithful~

Persona Q combined the cast of P3 and 4 and used the map mechanics from the EO series.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

noirstronaut posted:

They made a Persona spinoff in the Etrian Odyssey engine once. There's some recycled graphics between EO and SMT games other than that, but that's literally it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
More Layton crap:

Really enjoyed Eternal Diva. Especially when Luke says "I have to save her, after all , I want to be a gentleman someday!"

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Persona Q has an NPC that gets sad if you speed past his dialogue. It also has a dog.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Persona Q has an NPC that gets sad if you speed past his dialogue. It also has a dog.

Are you thinking of Animal Crossing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

noirstronaut posted:

Are you thinking of Animal Crossing

Animal Crossing dogs don't stab monsters with knives they hold in their mouth :colbert:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Zore posted:

Animal Crossing dogs don't stab monsters with knives they hold in their mouth :colbert:

What do you think happen to the first Mayor?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Persona Q has an NPC that gets sad if you speed past his dialogue.

What? Really?

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Isn't Untold 2 the one EO game that had terrible DLC that didn't even allow you to finish mapping out floors or was that exaggerated? I just remember some complaints about the dlc when the JPN release came out.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Wait, hold the phone. Is Etrian a first person board game? I'm watchiong a walkthrough and this looks...interesting. Why didn't they just make it third person?

e: i don't know why i said hold the phone like that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's a first person dungeon crawler

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

planetarial posted:

Isn't Untold 2 the one EO game that had terrible DLC that didn't even allow you to finish mapping out floors or was that exaggerated? I just remember some complaints about the dlc when the JPN release came out.

Yes, there's two DLC that lock off parts of the map and I think that includes the Hot Springs DLC.

noirstronaut posted:

Wait, hold the phone. Is Etrian a first person board game? I'm watchiong a walkthrough and this looks...interesting. Why didn't they just make it third person?

e: i don't know why i said hold the phone like that.

No, well, it's a dungeon crawler. It's emulating the really old games where you had to physically draw your maps on graph paper. Your guild is a blank slate and everything is grid based movement, so there's no real need for third person.

Try out the EO4 demo on the eShop to see if it's your kind thing. Just choose five guys and get exploring.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Just choose five girls and get exploring their anime tittays

ftfy

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Free Dark_Tzitzimine. Allow a Senran Kagura thread on Something Awful.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

So kind of a weird question, but after hearing about people getting their systems transferred by Nintendo over the phone, I'm just wondering what happens to the games on your old system? I'd be kind of cool (and really just accomplishing something in a roundabout way that you can do easily on a PS4/Bone) to have all my stuff on a New3Ds but keep my digital copies of things like Smash and Mario Kart on the old one for when I have friends or family over.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

codenameFANGIO posted:

Free Dark_Tzitzimine. Allow a Senran Kagura thread on Something Awful.

I support this; lift and separate Dark_Tzitizimine from the shackles of SA.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

noirstronaut posted:

I got my City Slicker. The leather that is atop it (the color you choose) is dope as all hell. I feel like the cow and I are closer, spiritually, after feeling the finish of this thing.

I just got mine yesterday. It is, bar-none, the most well made system case I have ever owned and this comes from someone who loves superfluous cases for his portable game systems.

It is pricy, but it's worth it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

fount of knowledge posted:

So kind of a weird question, but after hearing about people getting their systems transferred by Nintendo over the phone, I'm just wondering what happens to the games on your old system? I'd be kind of cool (and really just accomplishing something in a roundabout way that you can do easily on a PS4/Bone) to have all my stuff on a New3Ds but keep my digital copies of things like Smash and Mario Kart on the old one for when I have friends or family over.

They get wiped.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The World Ends with you Yay or Nay?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

littleorv posted:

Yay!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

littleorv posted:

It rules, especially the music

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

littleorv posted:

Oh my god yes

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

littleorv posted:

it's the best game square ever made

yes, even better than [square game you like]

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

littleorv posted:

It's the best game on DS

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

littleorv posted:

No one will say nay to this. Just letting you know ahead of time.

e: Actually, Kaubocks might. I don't know. Guy's a loose cannon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cake Attack posted:

yes, even better than [square game you like]

Counterpoint:

Chrono Trigger

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

littleorv posted:

What? Really?

There is a merchant that you have to go to several times in the game and he is always so excited to see you and show you what he's done when you've come back if you bring him a rare material. Since he's a merchant you usually will skip through his dialogue and he'll go "- i wasn't finished..."
There are other times when it happens in the game but mainly the game shits all over him and it's a better game for it.

Zore posted:

This is also why Dark Souls is superior to most games. Dogs with weapons they hold in their mouths.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

They get wiped.

Suppose I take it off my router's whitelist? How would Nintendo wipe it remotely?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Turtlicious posted:

Counterpoint:

Chrono Trigger

if you love it so much why don't you glue it to your 3ds

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Counterpoint:

Chrono Trigger

yes, even better than Chrono Trigger

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

fount of knowledge posted:

Suppose I take it off my router's whitelist? How would Nintendo wipe it remotely?

I mean, you could never connect it to wifi again. But once it is *kanye shrug*

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

There is a merchant that you have to go to several times in the game and he is always so excited to see you and show you what he's done when you've come back if you bring him a rare material. Since he's a merchant you usually will skip through his dialogue and he'll go "- i wasn't finished..."
There are other times when it happens in the game but mainly the game shits all over him and it's a better game for it.

Wow I have never noticed this.

I will have to track down a copy of TWEWY then thanks.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

absolutely anything posted:

if you love it so much why don't you glue it to your 3ds

because i got some glue in the cartridge port and now it won't read games...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Geez, Crimson Shroud was disappointingly short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

:snoop: Get your Double D's at GameStop :snoop: