Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I seed the point on my use of the word "luxury," but frankly I don't want a luxury watch, I just want a casual watch that doesn't look like a child's toy. I guess $500 is not enough to spend on a watch that won't be embarrassing to wear outside of the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Don't be daft. $500 can buy you an automatic Tissot with a sapphire crystal. $350 can buy you a titanium, sapphire and atomic Citizen ecodrive, and $650 can get you a Raymond Weil.

Nevermind the deals you can score if you pick up a second-hand watch from one of the big watch forums.

It's not that you can't get a nice watch for that price. I happen to wear a Tissot. I just wouldn't consider it to be a luxury watch.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's not that you can't get a nice watch for that price. I happen to wear a Tissot. I just wouldn't consider it to be a luxury watch.

Tissot watches use the same movements as many TAGs, and most people would consider TAG to be a luxury brand.

There's no way Tissot is not considered to be a luxury watch.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

kitten smoothie posted:

You could upgrade the CPU and storage but you'd still have EDGE networking, no gyro sensor, no compass, garbage camera & no front one, a thicker case, etc. Would you really want to use an iPhone 1 with iPhone 4S CPU/memory/storage, but iPhone 1 everything else?

The S1 contains the motion sensors and wifi/networking chip though. You could add more (non-external facing) sensors, gps, 802.11ac, LTE chips by popping in a hypothetical S2. A better analogy is replacing the entire motherboard in the iPhone 1.

Battery technology does not improve much year over year. Most improvements on battery life are done by optimizing power users to use less. Shouldn't need an upgrade, especially since we can assume Watch 2 is going to be slimmer with a smaller battery.

The screen and the heartrate/charging stuff on the bottom are the only things left I think. Wouldn't want to be stuck with an iPhone 1 screen. I imagine the next watch will have O2 or glucose sensors or something cool so being stuck with just HR would be a bummer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Tissot watches use the same movements as many TAGs, and most people would consider TAG to be a luxury brand.

There's no way Tissot is not considered to be a luxury watch.

Fair enough. When I think of luxury watches, I think brands like Audemars Piguet and Blancpain and Hublot.

And I don't even remember what the original point of all this was. To me, Apple's pricing makes sense to keep some exclusivity with the nicer looking options. Given the watch as jewelry angle, folks don't want to wear the same jewelry as everyone else. Stupid pricing, like charging $500 for a steel band, help to ensure that. As for me, I'll buy the cheap one and hope for 3rd party options that don't suck.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
They look like the slap wristbands that were popular in the 90's. I'd definitely buy one if they had that magical mechanism built-in.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

CaptainCaveman posted:

This is not the case at all. "Up until September 2010, Apple iPads accounted for 95% of tablet computer sales, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.

By the end of 2010, that figure had fallen to 75%, said Strategy Analytics." ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12620077 )

I was more talking along the lines of computer sales overall, at the time the tablet market was tiny, saying that Apple owned 95 percent of the market doesn't really mean much when they only needed to sell 3 million units to get to that point (For reference Apple sells around 12-13 million iPads per quarter now), iPad sales only really started getting going around the time the iPad 3 came out which was the first iPad to have, you guessed it, the retina display.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm curious as to if it will tether to multiple phones. Probably not super likely, since number of people who walk around with two iphones in their pocket is pretty tiny (and I hate being apart of that subset) but if the device could unify notifications that would be cool.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Before we all get too excited this is what $10k gets you in a luxury watch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Breguet-Cla...=item2a4ca8db5e

And this is what $20k gets you

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Lange-Soh...=item4ae60468dc

Even as a status symbol the gold Apple Watches don't make any sense.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Apple watch 1 will be a collectors. That is how I am justifying purchasing the SS

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

All the old ladies at work know about the Apple Watch. Doesn't sound like they're interested, but they're aware and that really shows the marketing power Apple brings to the table.

I've been wearing smart watches for a long time now but it was just a weird glowing watch to them, no curiousity.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Good news! 100 bucks is more like it.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/10/apple-watch-third-party-bands/

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Here's hoping the quality isn't poo poo but this is way more like it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

Man I just don't get it at all. You need your phone for it to do anything useful, your phone can do pretty much everything the watch can do better, you need to charge it everyday and it looks super tacky. (I don't think I could buy a watch without a round face) I guess it's a neat toy and it's probably impossible for it to flop but like is the two seconds it takes to take your phone out of your pocket really such a big deal

The fitness stuff is probably the best thing about it but I don't know if it's even the best option out there for that either

This is where most people are at when thinking about this product. Functionality wise it really doesn't do anything extra beyond pulsing a heartbeat and having swappable watch faces.

I think the whole price discussion is moot given there are no 'new' features.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Like Apple doesn't have a patent on the attachment mechanism, this will be shut down in no time, maybe, maybe in a bit there will be a Made for Apple Watch program.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems like they have a design patent on the strap ends, but good luck enforcing that against China resellers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Three Olives posted:

Like Apple doesn't have a patent on the attachment mechanism, this will be shut down in no time, maybe, maybe in a bit there will be a Made for Apple Watch program.

Yeah, just like no third party cases are allowed right?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

That's not how these things work.

Thread title proves itself once again.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

The Glimpse feature suggests it turns off most of the time except when you look at it or are actively use it, though I haven't heard of an ambient mode.

Suggests?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Honestly what's the better watch pebble time steel or apple watch sport?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

If you want a real answer as opposed to tribalism you'll have to wait two months.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The band fit, finish and quality on a $2000 watch is leagues ahead of the "same" band on a $500 watch.
Obviously I haven't held one in person, but the Apple link band looks like they're targeting the former.
I'm sure there will be cheap knockoff SS bands for around $100 for people who would prefer the latter.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm kind of bummed in how much the technology side seems like a reaction to existing products, honestly. Hopefully it is just 1st gen syndrome, and the device will indeed improve over time. It really seems like a surprisingly low-effort spin on what the Android Wear manufacturers have been doing for the past year.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

This was asked of me two pages ago when I said that there are some features that make the watch seem like it would be cool to own (at around 350 bucks maybe and 1000+ definitely not).

I live in NYC and I'm constantly listening to music with headphones on walking around. Every time I get a text or need to check how many more blocks away something is or relying on Siri to understand when I ask her to play an obscurely named Powerviolence band are all things that the Watch could remedy. Glance down at my watch - the coffee shop I'm on my way to is two more blocks up and to the left. If I'm out for a run and I want to change music I can do it more precisely on my Watch than I could with Siri, and instead of pulling my phone out of my pocket with sweaty hands and fumbling with the screen.

These may seem terribly specific but I can only speak from my own experiences, not everyone will find these same things useful at all. I feel that the inherent usefulness of the Apple Watch will be to limit the amount of time you spend using your phone for really quick actions. I've recently become one of those "I should try and stare at my phone less" people so while I'd still be looking at a device, I would be doing so with more specificity. Some people are in the camp of "oh it's just two seconds who gives a poo poo?" But all of those two-second interactions add up.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

$450 for a stainless steel bracelet is absolutely absurd, particularly when it is marketed for a $500 watch. That is entering real high-end watch bracelet prices (not loving Tag), and those are hardly a great value - lots of nice~$500 watches have excellent bracelets on them.

Like every other accessory Apple makes (and to be fair, most other manufacturers) there is a huge mark-up. This is something really special though.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

This was asked of me two pages ago when I said that there are some features that make the watch seem like it would be cool to own (at around 350 bucks maybe and 1000+ definitely not).

I live in NYC and I'm constantly listening to music with headphones on walking around. Every time I get a text or need to check how many more blocks away something is or relying on Siri to understand when I ask her to play an obscurely named Powerviolence band are all things that the Watch could remedy. Glance down at my watch - the coffee shop I'm on my way to is two more blocks up and to the left. If I'm out for a run and I want to change music I can do it more precisely on my Watch than I could with Siri, and instead of pulling my phone out of my pocket with sweaty hands and fumbling with the screen.

These may seem terribly specific but I can only speak from my own experiences, not everyone will find these same things useful at all. I feel that the inherent usefulness of the Apple Watch will be to limit the amount of time you spend using your phone for really quick actions. I've recently become one of those "I should try and stare at my phone less" people so while I'd still be looking at a device, I would be doing so with more specificity. Some people are in the camp of "oh it's just two seconds who gives a poo poo?" But all of those two-second interactions add up.

I feel you, man. Same situation (nyc and music) and just so you know you can do all that with a pebble (and, I'm sure, other watches). That's why I was asking, I guess. I'm trying to see what features are specific to this device that make it worth the ridiculous amount of money.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

IuniusBrutus posted:

$450 for a stainless steel bracelet is absolutely absurd, particularly when it is marketed for a $500 watch. That is entering real high-end watch bracelet prices (not loving Tag), and those are hardly a great value - lots of nice~$500 watches have excellent bracelets on them.

Like every other accessory Apple makes (and to be fair, most other manufacturers) there is a huge mark-up. This is something really special though.

Dude it takes half of the battery life just to cut those bands. How is that NOT a selling point.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I feel you, man. Same situation (nyc and music) and just so you know you can do all that with a pebble (and, I'm sure, other watches). That's why I was asking, I guess. I'm trying to see what features are specific to this device that make it worth the ridiculous amount of money.

I always thought the Pebble was ugly as gently caress. The Pebble Time is a pretty substantial improvement in the design department, though I would argue that the Apple Watch is still a lot better looking and the interface is obviously comparable to what you're used to. But is it worth doubling the price for even the cheapest option?

The fact that the Pebble Time has limited voice control functionality on iOS hurts its chances of having me buy one, and the fact that I can imagine a year from now many hundreds or thousands of apps will be on the Apple Watch App Store and will be nicer and more functional than on the Pebble App Store. I came across a link of top Pebble apps to put on your watch and it included garbage like a battery meter, Dominos, and a dice game or some poo poo. The list is only from December and the new Pebble isn't even out yet to take advantage of newer functionality.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Why the gently caress isn't the sport model waterproof? That's just poor design.

Speaking of, the 2nd gen Apple Watch will probably have these features:

Built in GPS for fitness
Slimmer profile
Same battery life (good enough*)
Waterproof (sport model)

Then I will buy it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

Why the gently caress isn't the sport model waterproof? That's just poor design.

Built in GPS for fitness
Slimmer profile
Waterproof (sport model)

Then I will buy it.
We're you going to go deep sea diving with it on? It's water resistant in the same capacity that most all watches are. Unless you're completely submerging the unit in water for extended periods of time you won't have any issues.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

My bet is that it'll come down to if price is more important, the pebble time will do a great job for the main point of a smart watch (time telling plus notifications). If you want more functionality, pay more for the Apple Watch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Whirlwind Jones posted:

We're you going to go deep sea diving with it on? It's water resistant in the same capacity that most all watches are. Unless you're completely submerging the unit in water for extended periods of time you won't have any issues.

Yes, I am a triathlete so if one of it's big selling points is its fitness features and it can't even be used in the pool or without being tethered to a phone it's worthless to me. I'm saying my ideal device would have those features, and I'm sure the later generations will. It is still really dumb that the Sport model is not fully waterproof like other "sport" watches (my Garmin, for instance).

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

I can imagine a year from now many hundreds or thousands of apps will be on the Apple Watch App Store and will be nicer and more functional than on the Pebble App Store.

Then why not just buy that watch when it comes out?

That's what makes me so frustrated with this apple watch. They release a new product every year which automatically makes you feel like you own an inferior product the second a new one comes out. I've had every single iPhone, and the first one was a pretty cool device but in retrospect was such a joke. I'm going to try and learn from myself and sit this first one out, and come play ball when the second generation is released.

The pebble store does lack apps but honestly the pebble is a simple thing that interacts with my phone well. It sends me notifications so I don't have to take my phone out, including Google maps directions.

Also I really really wanted that stainless steel apple watch but gently caress paying a grand to rent it for a year before I try and flip it. I'll get the very similar looking pebble for 1/4 the cost.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Bottom Liner posted:

Built in GPS for fitness
Slimmer profile
Waterproof (sport model)

Then I will buy it.

This. I was on board with this hoping to use it as a heart rate monitor as I swim but it is about as useful as an rear end in a top hat on an elbow. Also I never got a clear answer anywhere if this can be used without the phone during sports which would be the entire point of a sports watch or do they expect people to carry their iphones with them in their back pocket as they do sports?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

keyframe posted:

This. I was on board with this hoping to use it as a heart rate monitor as I swim but it is about as useful as an rear end in a top hat on an elbow. Also I never got a clear answer anywhere if this can be used without the phone during sports which would be the entire point of a sports watch or do they expect people to carry their iphones with them in their back pocket as they do sports?

It can't be used without the phone for fitness tracking that requires GPS, etc. It says so on the site;

quote:

Apple Watch uses this sensor, along with an accelerometer and the GPS and Wi‑Fi in your iPhone,

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's what makes me so frustrated with this apple watch. They release a new product every year which automatically makes you feel like you own an inferior product the second a new one comes out.

Isn't this the same with every new tech?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Ok, here's my plan, tell me if this will work out. I buy the Sport, and tolerate the ugly rear end plastic band until a nice third party product comes out. The Sports body shouldn't feel too cheap, no?

gypsyshred fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 11, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Isn't this the same with every new tech?

It is; but, for whatever reason, I think it's going to be harder to flip a watch than a phone, or computer. Those are really the only tech things I buy (both from apple). I don't feel like televisions or game systems come out that fast. Apple didn't even use to come out with a new phone every year.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

gypsyshred posted:

Ok, heres my plan, tell me if this will work out. I buy the Sport, and tolerate the ugly rear end plastic band until a nice third party product comes out. The Sports body shouldn't feel to cheap, no?

Isn't it the same body as the iPhone 6 or a Mac air? Aluminum? Rub your iPhone all over your body and see what you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

. I don't feel like televisions or game systems come out that fast. Apple didn't even use to come out with a new phone every year.

What?

1st gen: June 29, 2007
3G: July 11, 2008
3GS: June 19, 2009
4: June 24, 2010
4S: October 14, 2011
5: September 21, 2012
5C, 5S: September 20, 2013
6 / 6 Plus: September 19, 2014

• Locked thread