Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
http://gu.com/p/46g4y

quote:

Indonesia 'could release human tsunami of 10,000 asylum seekers on Australia'

Minister warns Canberra to stop agitating for clemency for Bali Nine pair with reminder that Jakarta’s cooperation is vital to ‘stopping the boats’

Indonesia could release a “human tsunami” of 10,000 asylum seekers on Australia if Canberra continues to agitate for clemency for the death row pair Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, an Indonesian minister has warned.

Tedjo Edhy Purdijatno, the coordinating minister for political legal and security affairs, reminded the Abbott government that Indonesian cooperation was vital to the success of its “stop the boats” policy.

“If Canberra keeps doing things that displease Indonesia, Jakarta will surely let the illegal immigrants go to Australia,” Tedjo said in a speech on sovereignty delivered at a Javanese university.

Welp. Tony just got let off the hook for Chan and Sukamaran.

No Australian swing voter will think twice about killing non-white people if it's part of stopping the boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Cartoon posted:

C/ Making poo poo up! BINGO!

-/-

Business Confidence has continued to fall despite the RBA rate cut.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-10/business-confidence-deteriorates-with-rate-cut/6293488

Leading to the RBA saying the lever is now broken and there needs to be actual policy from government :stonk:

It's graph heavy and an opinion piece but have a read.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-11/jericho-the-interest-rate-mantra-has-hit-a-wall/6300346

-/-

It's only now hit the headlines but I effort posted about this what? a month or so ago. Where this inhuman policy of removal has been done so far it has resulted in immediate and worse outcomes for the indigenous communities involved.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-11/abbott-defends-indigenous-communities-lifestyle-choice/6300218

You can not make this poo poo up.

I believe that Abbott genuinely does care about indigenous issues, but only in a Cecil Rhodes style "we must tame the savages and turn them into good white folk" imperially racist way

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Why do we not just pool our capital into a grid-based anarcho-syndicalist collective?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Smegmatron posted:

No Australian swing voter will think twice about killing non-white people if it's part of stopping the boats.

Could be Abbott's Tampa moment.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Smegmatron posted:

Tedjo Edhy Purdijatno was called 'the Jaquie Lambie of Indonesian politics' on ABC24 this morning.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Drugs posted:

I believe that Abbott genuinely does care about indigenous issues, but only in a Cecil Rhodes style "we must tame the savages and turn them into good white folk" imperially racist way

He's almost like some sort of Rhodes scholar!

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Smegmatron posted:

The cynic in me says that the only thing sparing those two from the firing squad is how long this nationalism is awesome for domestic consumption in Indonesia.

As soon as the political mileage begin to wane its gonna be blind folds all around.

It's a complete gift to Abbott either way though.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Smegmatron posted:

Abbott's going to deploy mines in the ocean, right?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mad Katter posted:

Abbott's going to deploy mines in the ocean, right?

Will they be taxed, though?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Doesn't the PM get to pick his own portfolio, of things they're interested in and thinks they'll be good at? Tony is such a cynical gently caress he thinks everyone is going to pat him on the back and congratulate him for being such a great egalitarian.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Weel seeya Aldi

quote:

More Melbourne shoppers have reported finding what appears to be maggots and foreign objects in food bought from Aldi.

Last week, a Richmond couple found a maggot in a jar of Remano tomato paste, which they bought from an Aldi store in Abbotsford.

Since then other Aldi customers have contacted Fairfax Media claiming to have found foreign objects and creatures in food bought from the cut-price supermarket chain.

One customer, who asked to be known only as Michelle, opened a Mozart Chocolate late last year to find what appeared to be live maggots inside.

"I opened the wrapper and there was a maggot crawling out of the chocolate," Michelle said.

The chocolates were sold by Aldi around Christmas, for a third of the cost at which they usually retail at department stores.

"They were my favourite chocolates, but I can't even look at them now," Michelle said.

Another customer, who asked not to be named, said he opened a tin of Ocean Rise smoked mussels bought from Aldi to find what appeared to be the leg of a starfish inside.

"Some species of starfish are poisonous, so I sealed it in a plastic container in my fridge without eating any," he said.

The customer said he lodged a formal complaint with Aldi, but was disappointed by their response.

"All they offered was a 'sorry' and promised they would instruct the operators on the difference," he said.

Tania Ewing said her daughter found a fingernail in a tub of salted caramel ice cream bought from an Aldi store in Brunswick last October.

"It took us three months to get any response from Aldi," Ms Ewing said.

Another woman, who asked to be known only as Jan, said she found a piece of metal in the bottom of a jar of Bramwells peanut butter that she bought from an Aldi store in Melbourne's south-east.

"It looked like the tip of a knife, but all my knives are intact. I suspect it was something in the manufacturing equipment that broke off," she said.

Jan took her complaint to Consumer Affairs Victoria, which referred her to Casey City Council. But she was told by council investigators that the matter could be better dealt with by NSW health authorities.

"I have heard nothing more," she said.

An Aldi spokesman said the supermarket had investigated the issues raised by its Melbourne customers, but found the problems were not widespread.

"For the incidents mentioned, there has not been an illustration of any trends and customers that have been in contact with Aldi have been responded to," the spokesman said.

"Any complaints are raised individually and investigated with extremely high importance. Aldi will always remove any product from sale if it is identified as a risk to our customers."

The spokesman said the supermarket was investigating last week's discovery of the wormlike animal in the jar of Remano tomato paste. He said the jar had been collected from customers Adrian Chew and his partner Stephanie on Saturday, and was in transit to the supplier for testing.

"Aldi has been investigating the issue thoroughly with the supplier and we will implement any further action if required," the spokesman said.

The label on the jar of tomato paste reads: "Especially made for our Aldi stores to our stringent quality specifications." It is listed as a product of China.

"We undertake regular testing with independent laboratories to ensure the ongoing safety, quality and regulatory compliance of our products. If for any reason customers are not satisfied with Aldi's everyday grocery range, we will replace the product or provide a refund," the Aldi spokesman said.

Ken Walker, the senior curator of entomology at Museum Victoria, said he believed the wriggling wormlike creatures found in the Aldi chocolate were in fact caterpillars, or the larva of pantry moths.

"From the image alone, it looks like the larva of an Indian meal moth, commonly known as a pantry moth," Dr Walker said.

Indian meal moth larva can infest a wide range of dry foodstuffs, including cereal, bread, pasta, rice, dried fruits and chocolate. The moths can crawl into surprisingly tight spots and are known to chew through thin plastic and paper packaging.

Garry McDonald, an entomologist from Melbourne University, said it was "highly unusual" for a maggot to be found living in processed food, like a jar of tomato paste.

"It's a pretty acidic, hostile environment," Dr McDonald said.

"It is unlikely to have been a maggot originating from within that bottle, unless it had been previously opened.

"The average life of a maggot - from egg hatch to developing into a pupa - might take two or three weeks. It could be a bit less, or a bit more. It's not all that long.

"If the maggot was alive, the egg would have had to have been laid in the last two or three weeks."

Dr McDonald said flies typically laid their eggs on food, rather than on a container.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Les Affaires posted:

My class on entrepreneurship taught that people are motivated into entrepreneurship by either necessity or by creativity. It's why a lot of small business startups are done by immigrants, because it's often easier for an immigrant to start a business than it is for them to get a job.

Anybody who knows about creativity though will understand that you either need to be the type of person willing to take massive risks, OR have enough capital behind you to ensure that the risk is not going to change your living standards much.

Yeah, the theory was that Necessity entrepreneurs don't exist if there is a good social security system, which is slightly less absurd. The lecturer conflating less necessity entrepreneurs with less entrepreneurs total was of course his own idiocy.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Shadeoses posted:

Will they be taxed, though?

Abbott's mining tax will be taxing the public to fund the mining operation though , not the other way around.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Gross

Can you link the article? I want to share that on facebook and laugh at the reactions

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Birdstrike posted:

Why do we not just pool our capital into a grid-based anarcho-syndicalist collective?

I'm pretty sure I bring up the Auspol collective farm at least once a month.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I want to know how 10,000 asylum seekers coming to a country of 23million+ could ever be considered a "tsunami".

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I want to know how 10,000 asylum seekers coming to a country of 23million+ could ever be considered a "tsunami".

Tsunami of racism.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Graic Gabtar posted:

The boats were stopped and then the passengers and crew were sent back.

That would count as a boat being stopped.

As I had understood it when the government told us they would stop the boats they said they would stop the boats from leaving to come here, not that they would just stop the boats arriving. The difference is subtle but important.

Stopping the boats from leaving follows the line of thinking that we need to stop the deaths at sea - the actual reasoning used.

Stopping the boats from arriving follows the line that you're racist - the reasoning you've followed for some reason.

They have been telling us that by turning back the boats the flood of refugees coming to Australia by boat has stopped, it's disingenuous - and a form of lying, to say that they've stopped coming. They haven't, we simply continue to turn them around.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Splode posted:

Gross

Can you link the article? I want to share that on facebook and laugh at the reactions

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/maggots-fingernail-metal-found-in-aldi-food-20150310-13yx9d.html

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Konomex posted:

As I had understood it when the government told us they would stop the boats they said they would stop the boats from leaving to come here, not that they would just stop the boats arriving. The difference is subtle but important.

Stopping the boats from leaving follows the line of thinking that we need to stop the deaths at sea - the actual reasoning used.

Stopping the boats from arriving follows the line that you're racist - the reasoning you've followed for some reason.

They have been telling us that by turning back the boats the flood of refugees coming to Australia by boat has stopped, it's disingenuous - and a form of lying, to say that they've stopped coming. They haven't, we simply continue to turn them around.
Ah yes, I forgot I was a racist. Thanks for the reminder.

I've got my hand poised above the "make forum go full retard" button now BTW.

Unless the Australian Navy decide to patrol the Indonesian shoreline (a very bad thing because it's literally piracy apparently) you are always going to get someone put to sea. Human nature.

However, the few that do are being intercepted very early and put on a safe ship and safely returned. There are also lot less of those boats trying it based on the number of rescue boats used compared to boat arrivals in recent times. That in itself indicates boats have stopped. Overall, the less time people spend on dangerous craft the better. The more boats that are stopped will continue to discourage others from believing the poo poo peddled by people smugglers and it will be safer again.

So they are stopping boats as you understand it.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 11, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lid posted:

Weel seeya Aldi

So it seems to be the case that either the store or the person's house is where larva is coming from, rather than the manufacturer

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

Unless the Australian Navy decide to patrol the Indonesian shoreline (a very bad thing because it's literally piracy apparently) you are always going to get someone put to sea. Human nature.

However, the few that do are being intercepted very early and put on a safe ship and safely returned. There are also lot less of those boats trying it based on the number of rescue boats used compared to boat arrivals in recent times. That in itself indicates boats have stopped. Overall, the less time people spend on dangerous craft the better. The more boats that are stopped will continue to discourage others from believing the poo poo peddled by people smugglers and it will be safer again.

Where is this info coming from? As far as I'm concerned all they've stopped is the reporting or information supply regarding boat arrivals. I honestly want to know.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

Unless the Australian Navy decide to patrol the Indonesian shoreline. A very bad thing because it's literally piracy apparently you are always going to get someone put to sea. Human nature.

I've bolded the parts where you're either wrong or your logic is faulty. Can you figure out what my issue with each of these bolded sections is? Try to put yourself in a viewpoint outside your own, if you're willing to humor me, otherwise I'll outline each in a later post.

Also they've said they "Stopped the boats", that is different to "stopping the boats". When they say they've "Stopped the boats" they're categorically wrong. Hell they could say they've "Reduced deaths at sea", "Reduced attempted boat arrivals" and these things could be true, but that's not what they say, and what they say isn't true.

EDIT: Also your puppetmaster schtick is pretty stale. Congrats, you get rises from people by being a torture denier/apologist, that's not really much of an achievement.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 11, 2015

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

You Am I posted:

So it seems to be the case that either the store or the person's house is where larva is coming from, rather than the manufacturer

I will continue shopping at Aldi because my wallet likes it and there's a lot of nutritious protein in maggots

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Halo14 posted:

Where is this info coming from? As far as I'm concerned all they've stopped is the reporting or information supply regarding boat arrivals. I honestly want to know.
Dude, the boats have stopped.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I keep finding cute little green caterpillars in my lettuce.

Each day I walk them back to the store and dump them on a shelf to deter other caterpillars from trying to illegally enter my kitchen.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

hooman posted:

EDIT: Also your puppetmaster schtick is pretty stale. Congrats, you get rises from people by being a torture denier/apologist, that's not really much of an achievement.

Honestly, it is pretty impressive that he still gets people trying to genuinely debate him, even though he's stated outright he's just here to stir up poo poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EightDeer posted:

Honestly, it is pretty impressive that he still gets people trying to genuinely debate him, even though he's stated outright he's just here to stir up poo poo.

I'll ignore his obviously reprehensible poo poo and correct the seemingly reasonable but actually totally wrong stuff. I think a lot more people should roll their eyes and move on though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

You Am I posted:

Yeah, quite possibly the persons house.

gently caress those larvae. I've had to deal with infestations of pantry moths twice and they get into EVERYTHING. I've even had packets of pasta that feel airtight that they someone managed to squeeze into.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Graic Gabtar posted:

Dude, the boats have stopped.*Citation Needed

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Smegmatron posted:

Wow. That Indonesian politician seems to know the average Australian voter better than our own government. Right for the proverbial jugular.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Wisdom Suppository posted:

Wow. That Indonesian politician seems to know the average Australian voter better than our own government. Right for the proverbial jugular.

It's not too surprising that an Indonesian would be aware of how horrible and racist Australians are....

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 11, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If a boat is stopped but no one is around to see it, is the boat stopped?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
It's just the vibe of the thing mate...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

However, the few that do are being intercepted very early and put on a safe ship and safely returned.

Returning people fleeing from persecution to the very people and places persecuting them counts as 'safely returned'?

Wait, getting murdered in australian run detention centers, or dying from easily treatable infections is 'safely returned'? Being kept in inhumane conditions that breed disease, mental and physical is keeping people safe from harm?

Please answer these.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Blog posts reveal teen obsessed with Islam
The young Australian Jake Bilardi alongside two Islamic State members. Boy was regularly reading news from Arab world and commenting on evil of US, Israel, Australia.

Ruh roh Auspol.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Splode posted:

Yeah, the theory was that Necessity entrepreneurs don't exist if there is a good social security system, which is slightly less absurd. The lecturer conflating less necessity entrepreneurs with less entrepreneurs total was of course his own idiocy.

I agree with that. Necessity entrepreneurs exist where there is structural resistance to somebody getting employment. Fortunately for us, we live in a pretty racist business environment, which encourages lots of immigrants into creating businesses, which (eventually) leads to a racially diverse capital class.

Now if only we could create structural resistance to employment for other disadvantaged social classes, we'd end up with true diversity in the business arena.

...:smith:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, quite possibly the persons house.

gently caress those larvae. I've had to deal with infestations of pantry moths twice and they get into EVERYTHING. I've even had packets of pasta that feel airtight that they someone managed to squeeze into.

I personally think this is a false flag operation by the supermarket duopoly.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
To lighten the mood, check out this party

http://www.nolandtax.com.au/

It's a bunch of property investors who are having a cry about the amount they pay in land tax.

loving scabs

quote:

Land Tax hurts first homebuyers by making new housing more expensive to build.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

If a boat is stopped but no one is around to see it, is the boat stopped?

Schroedinger would suggest the boat can be thought of as both stopped and moving.

• Locked thread