Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Spoils of Babylon was an incredibly poo poo attempt at something Garth Marenghi's Darkplace did perfectly.

Darkplace may have been funnier but intentionally bad horror and 80s parodies are a dime a dozen, Spoils aimed a lot higher even if it meant losing out on that huge ironic horror/80s nostalgia crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

less laughter posted:

Random internet comment underneath a video: "I have not seen this show, but this short trailer vaguely reminds me of director X"
IRQ: "Eww I hate director X, thank you for your thorough assessment and informed review of this entire season that you have watched attentively, I will now never watch it ever"

Seems rational.

*Judges random commenter judging random commenter making a judgement based off a random comment* :bahgawd: How far can we take this before anyone gives a poo poo?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

You don't realize how much I hate Wes Anderson.

It's nothing like Wes Anderson. But anyway I thought people like you grew out of this type of thing

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

^^^ why on earth do you care?

I have no idea how reliable this source is, but it seems you're right: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-10/top-gear-series-postponed-after-jeremy-clarkson-punches-producer

I have no trouble believing it, since Clarkson is a total shitlord, but I really like Top Gear when he isn't being a total cock. It's such a license to print money though that I doubt this holds very long.

Radio Times is the listings magazine here. Running for decades, and until very recently a BBC publication. If they're saying he twatted someone then it is almost certainly true.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bown posted:

It's nothing like Wes Anderson. But anyway I thought people like you grew out of this type of thing

Grew out of what, not liking a particular director's very defined style? Fine, maybe whatever it even was isn't anything like Wes Anderson's rancid garbage movies. Maybe focus on that and why rather than ridiculing me for nebulous reasons, because that's sure to persuade me. Or should I have grown out of recommendations in this thread entirely or something? I don't get it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

IRQ posted:

Grew out of what, not liking a particular director's very defined style? Fine, maybe whatever it even was isn't anything like Wes Anderson's rancid garbage movies. Maybe focus on that and why rather than ridiculing me for nebulous reasons, because that's sure to persuade me. Or should I have grown out of recommendations in this thread entirely or something? I don't get it.

No, I believe what was meant by that is a tendency to rapidly jump to conclusions and declare something "not for me" based on minimal information. Which is a thing children and political conservatives do, and grown-ups should, ideally, avoid doing as much as possible.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

timp posted:

The amount of people telling me I "omg HAVE to watch" House of Cards is getting a little out of hand. I tried watching the pilot episode on two different occasions and it just didn't do anything for me. I love Kevin Spacey but Frank Underwood seems like such a smug unlikable prick who just smugly monologues his way out of every problem.

I think I may be biased because the people telling me to watch it are people who either don't watch very much TV or simply watch a lot of shows I don't like. Can I keep ignoring these people or am I truly missing out? Like, where does it fall on a spectrum between Dexter and The Wire?

EDIT: Not to mention that a handful of people who like House of Cards have been saying that the newest season is not that good

Easiest way I've found to avoid HoC discussion is to claim that you're a politics nerd, and seeing a Democrat politician throw the teachers union under the bus for a vaguely ill defined policy initiative just didn't make any sense and was never really explained. For fucks sake, Dan Quayle was a better political mastermind than Frank Underwood. The only way I could recover from my rage at such poorly written political satire, was to watch another series on Netflix about the corporatist complex that threatens to ruin all our lives, Better Off Ted.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Shoddy reporting.

quote:

in the Christmas Special he said a bridge they'd built in Argentina wasn't straight because it "had a slope on it" when an Asian man walked over it, a wink-and-nudge-to-the-camera act of offensiveness that was swiftly punished by OFCOM;

Everyone knows that wasn't in the Argentina special of 2014, it was the Burma special in 2013 at the river Kwai. 2014 was when he allegedly used the n-word in his counting rhyme. I take my casual racism by Clarkson seriously. :colbert:

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 11, 2015

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I hadn't heard about that particular gem. Jesus Christ is Clarkson ever an rear end in a top hat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrakkorzog posted:

Easiest way I've found to avoid HoC discussion is to claim that you're a politics nerd, and seeing a Democrat politician throw the teachers union under the bus for a vaguely ill defined policy initiative just didn't make any sense and was never really explained. For fucks sake, Dan Quayle was a better political mastermind than Frank Underwood.

I've been thinking lately; HoC was originally a trilogy of books by a former Tory minister and, as such, they're written with the Westminster system in mind, and Urquhart's scheme works within that context. But, considering the institutional arrangements of the United States political system (separation of powers etc) wouldn't Underwood have been giving up a lot of power to become Secretary of State in the first place? Surely shooting for Speaker of the House or Chairman of Ways and Means would've put him in a more leveragable position in real terms?

(:spergin:)

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
If anyone was watching The Jinx the ending of that latest episode would have stirred up some controversy. On the one hand I have faith in Jarecki given the extreme amount of effort he has clearly put into constructing the story and the quality of the storytelling thus far, however I'm a little worried about where we go from here if this was the plan from the beginning. It was compelling enough without them trying to contrive added stakes and suspense and may even lose some of my interest if it drops the weirdly objective approach. This is the first time it has really seemed to have snuck into Serial territory.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Powers is just the right amount of ridiculous, just like Z Nation. Swearing, dark themes, scenery chewing.

Sold, i'm in.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
:lol: at anyone who takes IRQ's lazy trolling seriously.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been thinking lately; HoC was originally a trilogy of books by a former Tory minister and, as such, they're written with the Westminster system in mind, and Urquhart's scheme works within that context. But, considering the institutional arrangements of the United States political system (separation of powers etc) wouldn't Underwood have been giving up a lot of power to become Secretary of State in the first place? Surely shooting for Speaker of the House or Chairman of Ways and Means would've put him in a more leveragable position in real terms?

I guess it was a gambit on Frank's part. Give up a little power in the short term in order to put himself in a better position to claim the Presidency down the road. See also: Hillary Clinton, if she didn't completely suck at being Secretary of State.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In the British one he's not even really pursuing the Prime Ministership until Collingridge snubs him for Home Secretary.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

:lol: at anyone who takes IRQ's lazy trolling seriously.

I agree with Irish Joe, enough with the lazy trolling already.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Did someone say... lazy trolling?! Bring it in, boys!

*The endings to Korra, Lost, Battlestar, and the Sopranos all come in for a HUGE party*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In the British one he's not even really pursuing the Prime Ministership until Collingridge snubs him for Home Secretary.

I quite enjoy that there's a scene in To Play the King where Stamper decides he'll betray Urquhart because Urquhart passed him over for the Home Office.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ravane posted:

*Judges random commenter judging random commenter making a judgement based off a random comment* :bahgawd: How far can we take this before anyone gives a poo poo?

Oh god, nothing we do here means anything

:negative:

Guess I might as well just bingewatch the Killing :smith:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did someone say... lazy trolling?! Bring it in, boys!

*The endings to Korra, Lost, Battlestar, and the Sopranos all come in for a HUGE party*

Please don't invite SHM.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I hadn't heard about that particular gem. Jesus Christ is Clarkson ever an rear end in a top hat.

My favourite factoid about Clarkson is that he's ardently pro-EU but everyone thinks he must be dyed-in-the-wool UKIP.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Except for his casual racism, misogyny, transphobia and disdain/apathy about climate change (which all are probably more a generational thing than outright malice) I think nearly everything of his outrageous stuff is simply a persona is very well paid to play in newspapers and on TV. Like most comedians are at most an exaggerated persona of themselves, often a totally different in RL. The problem with it is that he gives others the impression that it is ok to be such an shithead, since at worst he gets a slap on the wrist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the event he doesn't return, Top Gear should totally adopt the HIGNFY model, except with increasingly provocative and controversial politicians and public figures as guest presenters each week.

They can start with Farage and work their way up to George Galloway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm in an argument about BBCs revenue model with a friend and neither of us know enough about it to make intelligent arguments (not that it's stopping us). His position is that ratings on BBC don't matter but I think they have to because they are supported by some ad revenue.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Wheat Loaf posted:

They can start with Farage and work their way up to George Galloway.

Farange in a Morris Minor against Galloway in a Trabant. 5 laps, no rules.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I support Farage being on the show only if he gets in a serious car crash. And this time actually gets injured, unlike when he got in that small plane crash.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zoux posted:

I'm in an argument about BBCs revenue model with a friend and neither of us know enough about it to make intelligent arguments (not that it's stopping us). His position is that ratings on BBC don't matter but I think they have to because they are supported by some ad revenue.

Top Gear is more then likely one of the few shows on earth that's still a licence to print money.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I read somewhere that it's the most-watched show in the world, or at least one of the most-watched. Gets something like a quarter of a billion viewers. The BBC has three big international series and Top Gear is the biggest a country mile.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

sbaldrick posted:

Top Gear is more then likely one of the few shows on earth that's still a licence to print money.

Yeah, even if the BBC itself doesn't run ads, Top Gear is rebroadcast in like a zillion other countries that do.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think I read somewhere that it's the most-watched show in the world, or at least one of the most-watched. Gets something like a quarter of a billion viewers. The BBC has three big international series and Top Gear is the biggest a country mile.

Back before the BBC carried about 5th Gear and yanked the site, they estimated that 125 million people downloaded it around the world.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK, so do ratings matter to the BBC?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

OK, so do ratings matter to the BBC?

Domestically, yes, in so much as they determine what is and isn't working, but not in the sense that low-rated shows are unprofitable for the BBC. A show that's only getting 10k viewers is not going to last, but one that gets 8m is liable to be around as long as the producers/cast/writer wants it to. Spending money on low-rated shows has to be justifiable to the BBC Trust (the body that represents taxpayers to the company) as having some artistic or public-good merit.

BBC Worldwide will obviously be happier for the more popular shows, if they have broad appeal, so they can sell them overseas.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And naturally reselling Top Gear and licensing out the brand to, among other things, spinoff shows, movies, video games, appearances on cartoons (all three guys were in Phineas and Ferb once) etc gives the BBC more money to spend on shows in general, just apparently never on special effects departments worth a drat.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I guess it was a gambit on Frank's part. Give up a little power in the short term in order to put himself in a better position to claim the Presidency down the road. See also: Hillary Clinton, if she didn't completely suck at being Secretary of State.

And, hell, she's going to be president anyways.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Funny stuff, I realized that House of Cards isn't available on Netflix in France, because Canal+ got the rights to it. I didn't want to watch it but that's pretty funny.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good news for you sick fucks, the Walking Dead spinoff will have sexy zombies

http://www.eonline.com/news/632892/house-of-cards-kim-dickens-on-slaying-politicians-and-the-walking-dead-spinoff-s-sexy-zombies

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love it when people people believe obvious jokes as something real.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Deadpool posted:

Oh just you wait until you see a pack of cheerleading zombies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Look, it's just math. At least some sexy people are bound to become zombies.

Maybe not in Georgia.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Does sexy zombies really strike you as something people wouldn't want?

Because I have one word for you: deviantart.

No, I haven't confirmed that, but I feel preeeeeeeeetty comfortable stating it as fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

IRQ posted:

Does sexy zombies really strike you as something people wouldn't want?

Having seen Revenge of the Living Dead 3, clearly the answer is "Yes".

• Locked thread