Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Pubbies get real mad when you criticize Branflakes. This is a post responding to a swipe I made at Bran's professionalism.

"wildthyme467989 posted:

I've been considering carefully how to respond to all this bile you've been typing in this thread.

It could of course be a well rounded, intelligent, careful post like most people on these forums are more than capable of producing.

I could of course take your route and run around screaming like a tosspot at every little thing that gets your goat and annoying everyone around you while you do it. (and believe me when I say you are EXTREMELY ANNOYING, why the hell else would I be typing this)

I think I'll take a middle ground, more difficult, yes, but hopefully much more satisfying.

When I first saw your first post in this thread I immediately had the thought that you were a completely insensitive prat and didn't have the first clue what you were talking about, and your posts here since then have endeared me to that viewpoint. Do you ever consider the effects your posts will have on the people your talking about, and do you even care? Why do you go all out to annoy the hell out of people, do you get some sadistic thrill out of it? Is it really necessary to display your total arseholery for all to see?

I'd be really interested to see all your answers to these questions, and please answer seriously, I really want to know, unless of course you have some aversion to being introspective?

Smirk rushed in and closed the thread, but it's still visible: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1394231&page=6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Consistency? What's that

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Tunicate posted:

Consistency? What's that

wat

DonDoodles posted:

Pubbies get real mad when you criticize Branflakes. This is a post responding to a swipe I made at Bran's professionalism.

Smirk rushed in and closed the thread, but it's still visible: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1394231&page=6

I love you guys

BombermanX fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 10, 2015

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
So just to get the lowdown on upgrading...

I want eight type X beams for my Presidio. I was going to give the AntiProton Mk II Beam Array [CrtD]x2 [over] a go..

So it costs (Assuming I am Lvl 15), 1 Radiogenic particle, 1 firing sequencer, 1power surge regulator + 15k ec per upgrade.

And I will need 6 x 7 Upgrades to end up with a Mk X.

Let's break down the costs.

1 x Radiogenic particle (115,000)
1 x Firing sequencer (130,000)
1 x Power surge regulator (94,000).

So that's 354,000 for the upgrade. Assuming I get away with six, that's 2,124,000 for one.
If I want eight, that's 16,992,000 EC.

Is that about right, taking them to a type X?
And they are Account Bound.

I heard that one route to do this was to grind Bug Hunt Elite and CCA for the experimental beam tech upgrade and upgrade things that way.

Does that sound about right?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So what's changed in this game over the past 2-3 years? I played for a while up until they had those lockboxes you could buy that were supposed to contain some limited edition Spoonhead ship (a Kheldon, I think?), but mostly just contained sweet gently caress all.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Jethro_E7 posted:

I was finding one of the specific ingredients in upgrades was running me out of house and home, I cant remember which one but the cost came out to about the same as buying them, the difference being small enough to negate the hassle of clicking all the bullshit. And don't forget your 2x research boosters.

Here is me bitching about it.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I have had an assfull of these Z-Particle prices. 650k for ten of em, the drat recipe for the upgrade components use 3 and 2 each. EACH.

edit: aaand looking at the exchange that's over 325k in materials for an item that sells for around 273k (superior cannon upgrade) gently caress this stupid game. I guess sometimes you proc out 2 of em on a craft halving the cost to build but still, I'm finding none of these costs acceptable. So to go from XIII to XIV on a turret was 12 superior upgrades, at 273k each, actually closer to 330k since I crafted them up, that was a 4 million EC upgrade. Theyll be sweet turrets when Im done but yea, don't do the math kids, it's depressing, just keep clicking and hope the EC doesnt start to run low causing you to look at costs.

I can see using experimental upgrades if you have something really decent but keep in mind those research boosts are going to reset every time the guns level, it gets pricey fast. That's a big part of why those anniversary upgrades are so sweet, the research carried over giving you more chances to hit on that 20-40%

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 10, 2015

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Drunk in Space posted:

So what's changed in this game over the past 2-3 years? I played for a while up until they had those lockboxes you could buy that were supposed to contain some limited edition Spoonhead ship (a Kheldon, I think?), but mostly just contained sweet gently caress all.

NOTHING! There's a new race and over 15 different kinds of lockboxes. All of which contain FUCKALL. Pubbies still hate us. Devs- the ones that are left anyway- hate us. Theres 4-5 lovely radio stations and it's easy to get space rich.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

And that new race is Talaxians.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'm downloading a 10gb patch in order to experience ultimate bij.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jethro_E7 posted:

I want eight type X beams for my Presidio. I was going to give the AntiProton Mk II Beam Array [CrtD]x2 [over] a go..

So it costs (Assuming I am Lvl 15), 1 Radiogenic particle, 1 firing sequencer, 1power surge regulator + 15k ec per upgrade.

And I will need 6 x 7 Upgrades to end up with a Mk X.

Let's break down the costs.

1 x Radiogenic particle (115,000)
1 x Firing sequencer (130,000)
1 x Power surge regulator (94,000).

So that's 354,000 for the upgrade. Assuming I get away with six, that's 2,124,000 for one.
If I want eight, that's 16,992,000 EC.

Is that about right, taking them to a type X?
And they are Account Bound.

I heard that one route to do this was to grind Bug Hunt Elite and CCA for the experimental beam tech upgrade and upgrade things that way.

Now do the math for upgrading to mk xiv! And for extra bonus fun, then do the math for upgrading to epic quality! Better pray you don't get a [PVP DMG] mod.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
You can't actually pick up a [pvp dmg] mod or any of the crafting mods when upgrading. That said you still get hosed over by [dmg]: the original bad mod with alarming frequency.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't actually run the data but I'm positive the game heavily weights for [Dmg] when you upgrade. Like 40% of the time rather than the 25% it should be. :geno:

Also, for the record, [Over] is pretty poo poo. While the actual effect is really good, it doesn't seem to proc if you're using Fire at Will or some other weapon skill, so the only time you'll ever have a chance of seeing it happen is the few seconds of global cooldown between FAW uses. You're better off with [Pen] or another [CrtD].

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I doubt that it's weighted for [dmg] but the rng is really terrible and tends to spit out the same results if you try multiple upgrades in quick succession. I've had multiple instances of the quality chance procing for the exact same mod at the exact same time. It happened with [crtd] a few time so I'm not complaining but yeah that's going to gently caress up your sample.

Also if you get a [dmg] you may want to wait a minute before you try to upgrade another piece of gear.

I'd also second that if it's not crtdx3 or crtdx2 pen it's not worth gambling on upgrades. crtdx3 + a bad mod will usually sell for less than the accelerator you wasted on it. Started with a bad mod dooms means you lose money at best and spend a couple mil on double bad mod vendor trash at least half the time. I could see [over] maybe being useful on a dedicated scihole build that runs almost no tac powers but that's just not a thing anymore.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

So what is coming in Season 10? Sector Space revamp and...?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Asimo posted:

I haven't actually run the data but I'm positive the game heavily weights for [Dmg] when you upgrade. Like 40% of the time rather than the 25% it should be. :geno:

Also, for the record, [Over] is pretty poo poo. While the actual effect is really good, it doesn't seem to proc if you're using Fire at Will or some other weapon skill, so the only time you'll ever have a chance of seeing it happen is the few seconds of global cooldown between FAW uses. You're better off with [Pen] or another [CrtD].

This is not true. Over the course of 80 weapons upgraded, I received 21 [Dmg] mods. It does average out over sufficiently large samples. As poo poo as Cryptic is right now, they're not rigging it this way; rather, the rigging is in the addition of many useless mods to crafting.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Preechr posted:

This is not true. Over the course of 80 weapons upgraded, I received 21 [Dmg] mods. It does average out over sufficiently large samples. As poo poo as Cryptic is right now, they're not rigging it this way; rather, the rigging is in the addition of many useless mods to crafting.
Oh? Well okay then, I'm happy to be wrong there.

Well, partly wrong. Go go [PVPDmg] and [PVPRes]! :downs:

Berke Negri posted:

Sadness.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Berke Negri posted:

Delta Recruit characters will get a Temporal Admiral Janeway bridge officer that you cannot modify or delete, just like Tovan Khev on the Romulan side.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WarLocke posted:

Delta Recruit characters will get a Temporal Admiral Janeway bridge officer that you cannot modify or delete, just like Tovan Khev on the Romulan side.

Haha, so everyone gets their own person Derp Fox voice of bad decisions on their bridge. Nice.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

WarLocke posted:

If this is true, it is the best possible news and will save the game.

It's not true, is it.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Of course not, Mulgrew would cost more than this game could get in its budget.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Season 10's new currency will be coffee.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

kafziel posted:

If this is true, it is the best possible news and will save the game.

It's not true, is it.

Yeah, I lied and the boff is the account-wide reward.

AfroSquirrel posted:

Season 10's new currency will be coffee.

Exploration clusters are being changed to coffee nebulas.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait, there's a new race? Huh.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ERP... ERP never changes

From a nude orion toon with a ferengi whip on Risa.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
I love how pubbies automatically assume that, because of a minor change to one instance, they are completely free of all Dental shenanigans forever. All it takes is a little typo to get them riled up again.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

DonDoodles posted:

I love how pubbies automatically assume that, because of a minor change to one instance, they are completely free of all Dental shenanigans forever. All it takes is a little typo to get them riled up again.

Next time refer to him as the Second Officer of the Enterprise.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is it a hard lock on disco or is it like force fields on Risa?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
drat it - if I had known that pubbies were still getting wound up over party favourites at the dead Spock celebration centre, I would never have left the exclusion bubble.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

One more question: did the nullifier happen around the same time the good devs quit?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
A bit after, yes.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Complete coincidence of course.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of all the good devs quitting, I wonder how many things will go wrong with the sector space update and how many of them will be not fixable because of the skills drain.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

This will be the excuse for them to shut the game down.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Speaking of all the good devs quitting, I wonder how many things will go wrong with the sector space update and how many of them will be not fixable because of the skills drain.

The spirit of Sword of the Stars II will live on in STO. Prepare for weekly patch notes of "Fixed: Ships spawned in the middle of a sun"

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

AfroSquirrel posted:

The spirit of Sword of the Stars II will live on in STO. Prepare for weekly patch notes of "Fixed: Ships spawned in the middle of a sun"

STO has a looong way to fall before it even approaches SotS2 levels.

Still pissed that I paid $50 to preorder that shitheap because SotS1 was a classic and I actually though kerberos/Mecron knew what they were doing.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

WarLocke posted:

STO has a looong way to fall before it even approaches SotS2 levels.

Still pissed that I paid $50 to preorder that shitheap because SotS1 was a classic and I actually though kerberos/Mecron knew what they were doing.

SoTS 1 was just as bad on release and only became passable after two of it's three expansions and a shitload of paradox money. Anybody who pre-ordered SoTS 2 expecting anything different was a loving moron.

I'm a loving moron too

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Psycho Landlord posted:

SoTS 1 was just as bad on release and only became passable after two of it's three expansions and a shitload of paradox money. Anybody who pre-ordered SoTS 2 expecting anything different was a loving moron.

I'm a loving moron too

I still have to disagree. SotS1 was rough at release, that's true. And the expansions made it a hell of a lot better both with QoL stuff and adding/fixing stuff that should have been there from the beginning.

But SotS1 actually worked at release. SotS2 right now is in a worse state (after all the patches its gotten) than Sots1 was released at.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I'm going to admit that I have no goddamn idea why Cryptic is actually going forward with the sector space revamp. It seems like one of those things that is a minor cosmetic benefit but is an absolute shitload of work and completely guaranteed to gently caress up a wide variety of things (duty officer missions, foundry missions, transwarps, sector alerts, etc) in a staggering diversity of ways. Even if it works perfectly fine - and it won't - I can't help but feel like it's a bunch of time that the coders and artists could have better spent on almost anything else in this dying game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

I'm going to admit that I have no goddamn idea why Cryptic is actually going forward with the sector space revamp. It seems like one of those things that is a minor cosmetic benefit but is an absolute shitload of work and completely guaranteed to gently caress up a wide variety of things (duty officer missions, foundry missions, transwarps, sector alerts, etc) in a staggering diversity of ways. Even if it works perfectly fine - and it won't - I can't help but feel like it's a bunch of time that the coders and artists could have better spent on almost anything else in this dying game.

I imagine its been in the works for at least a year, if not more, so less something they just put together now right after DR but the culmination of previous development. That's my guess.

• Locked thread