Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
The pain in the rear end of playing Hib was having to hump it out to Emain every time you died instead of just going to a portal keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I love the minstrel too much to play anything but alb.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Kazvall posted:

I love the minstrel too much to play anything but alb.

Truth. Haven't found a mmo class quite like it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

To add to that: no other MMO has done the stealth mechanic quite like daoc and for that the world has suffered.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Kazvall posted:

To add to that: no other MMO has done the stealth mechanic quite like daoc and for that the world has suffered.

I've never really understood why other games haven't just stolen the more successful mechanics from DAoC, all other mmos borrow eachother's mechanics, but no one has used the actual good ones from DAoC: Realm Ranks/Abilities, Stealth, Go Fast Classes, Positional combat. It routinely boggles my mind. Especially when games continually use the poo poo ones like keeps. gently caress keeps, goddamn.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember when playing on the pvp server I heard they made a cross realm PvE server that I promptly forgot about.

How bad was it?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

PriNGLeS posted:

I've never really understood why other games haven't just stolen the more successful mechanics from DAoC, all other mmos borrow eachother's mechanics, but no one has used the actual good ones from DAoC: Realm Ranks/Abilities, Stealth, Go Fast Classes, Positional combat. It routinely boggles my mind. Especially when games continually use the poo poo ones like keeps. gently caress keeps, goddamn.

FFXIV uses positional combat and style chains, so there's that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also the PVP ability system is almost exactly the same, not to mention 3-way PVP.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I remember when playing on the pvp server I heard they made a cross realm PvE server that I promptly forgot about.

How bad was it?

Gaheris (the pve server), is actually still active. It wasn't terrible if that was your thing.

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

Evernoob posted:

All other games since clearly revealed the exact class your target opponent is. "Masking" your class was a real thing in DAoC.

I remember a Midgard full mellee 8-man with 5 Trolls and 3 Dwarves, with a Troll shaman hiding in the assist train and mostly only using the insta PBAE disease.

Yeah the limited target info was another nice touch that you don't see used anywhere else. Albs could run a full 8 man consisting of britons.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kazvall posted:

I hope Camelot Unleashed brings back the mechanic where you don't lose stealth if you oneshot a player

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

I hope Camelot Unleashed brings back the mechanic where you don't lose stealth if you oneshot a player

Holy poo poo man. Level 24 kill task for that 2 hander on a shadowblade in thid. Best thing ever. Until they fixed the bug. :(

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?
I'll be rolling on mid with a few people to make an 8 man on Uthgard. Going with the cheese 3 healer/sham + 4 savages/zerk setup if anyone wants in, with a skald substitute if necessary.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Uthgard isn't up yet, and has not been announced yet either, has it? Stop getting my hopes up damnit.

One thing DaoC also did right where all other PvP MMO's have failed is NOT trying to balance the classes for 1v1. Other games tried to do this, making all classes pretty bland in the progress. DAoC classes shine because they are super specialized and focused to do their thing well, and function in a team.

Some classes couldn't solo for poo poo, and it was perfect.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Woodhouse posted:

I'll be rolling on mid with a few people to make an 8 man on Uthgard. Going with the cheese 3 healer/sham + 4 savages/zerk setup if anyone wants in, with a skald substitute if necessary.

...A skald is absolutely necessary for a mid group. Unless you like getting shat on by mediocre hib groups.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Evernoob posted:

Uthgard isn't up yet, and has not been announced yet either, has it? Stop getting my hopes up damnit.

One thing DaoC also did right where all other PvP MMO's have failed is NOT trying to balance the classes for 1v1. Other games tried to do this, making all classes pretty bland in the progress. DAoC classes shine because they are super specialized and focused to do their thing well, and function in a team.

Some classes couldn't solo for poo poo, and it was perfect.

I definitely agree on all points here. Some of the classes that couldn't solo for poo poo, if put in the hands of a determined and creative player could succeed in some instances. There was an aug healer on uthgard that liked to fight stealthers, and he won quite a bit.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

...A skald is absolutely necessary for a mid group. Unless you like getting shat on by mediocre hib groups.

I've seen people run skaldless groups for years. Not that I agree.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I've seen people run skaldless groups for years. Not that I agree.

I've only seen it done successfully on hybrid or caster heavy mid groups, rare as they are. Not to say they're not good, they're very underrated. Suppression runemasters are super nasty, probably the most underrated "viable group class" in the game, we ran one just about 90% of the time in the early days of Genesis, nearsight is so huge in that era. Mid cold train is good too, but given how most hib and alb groups run hybrid or pure caster - and overall synergize better than Midgard with those setups - it's hard to do well.

I like blathering on about this game far too much. Help.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Holy poo poo man. Level 24 kill task for that 2 hander on a shadowblade in thid. Best thing ever. Until they fixed the bug. :(

Ah, the days when casters were forced to /sit to regen mana. Go far enough back and you got double damage for Critshots on sitting targets. :allears:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Typical Pubbie posted:

Ah, the days when casters were forced to /sit to regen mana. Go far enough back and you got double damage for Critshots on sitting targets. :allears:

I miss many things about this game. But, not having cc immunity isn't one of them. Remember when midgard was absolute bullshit?

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

I've only seen it done successfully on hybrid or caster heavy mid groups, rare as they are. Not to say they're not good, they're very underrated. Suppression runemasters are super nasty, probably the most underrated "viable group class" in the game, we ran one just about 90% of the time in the early days of Genesis, nearsight is so huge in that era. Mid cold train is good too, but given how most hib and alb groups run hybrid or pure caster - and overall synergize better than Midgard with those setups - it's hard to do well.

I like blathering on about this game far too much. Help.

Yeah, I ran with IKEA on hib on Genisis as a hero for awhile and I just remember one group giving us poo poo was a 3x healer mid train push group. Looked pretty fun so we decided to roll mid to try it out.

And no, a skald is not necessary.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Kazvall posted:

I miss many things about this game. But, not having cc immunity isn't one of them. Remember when midgard was absolute bullshit?

My first ever PvP experience in DAoC was leaving the portal keep in Thidranki and immediately getting mezzed/stun locked by a caster for what had to be more than a minute.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 9, 2015

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Woodhouse posted:

Yeah, I ran with IKEA on hib on Genisis as a hero for awhile and I just remember one group giving us poo poo was a 3x healer mid train push group. Looked pretty fun so we decided to roll mid to try it out.

And no, a skald is not necessary.

That was probably Rare or Roleplayers. I was in Roleplayers, we occasionally ran 3 healers but never became too fond of it. I don't remember IKEA a whole lot except for you guys' keep escapades, did you guys wear all black without guild cloaks for awhile?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Skald is not mandatory to 'win fights' as most of the fights happened around MMF anyway, but not being able roam around at maximum speed sure is a big downer on the fun factor.
Aug healer runspeed + sprint is okay, but not really fun. To make things worse if enemies recognize your group as badass and they can't beat you they will try to avoid the fights... which is like the worst thing ever.

Also Adding a Skald has its merits besides the speed too. The increased resist songs can help against caster heavy groups, and their burst damage is sufficient to help in taking down a target quickly. They're also great at chasing and interrupting Druids/Clerics.

For Hibernia the Bard is 100% mandatory due to so many different reasons, obviously. Reinforced by the fact they have to travel by foot to Emain.

The Albion Minstrel is a weird class, but it has also secured its spot being the insta-mezzer and stunner and king of interrupts.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
King of Interrupts belongs to Skald. They have ranged snare, mez , and dd's as well as the potential to sticky melee with conquer spam. It's their primary function. Speed is just a nice bonus. Resist songs are worthless in a mid group since you'll almost always be running an aug(or trispec) healer and shaman.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I never really played a song class but I thought those protective songs stacked with the resist buffs.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Typical Pubbie posted:

Holy poo poo, I think I just had something like a PTSD flashback. I need to go lie down.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Not bringing a speed 5 class to an 8v8 group by design on a pre-ToA/OF server is just crazy.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

That was probably Rare or Roleplayers. I was in Roleplayers, we occasionally ran 3 healers but never became too fond of it. I don't remember IKEA a whole lot except for you guys' keep escapades, did you guys wear all black without guild cloaks for awhile?

Blue & Yellow, and it was mostly during euro times. We ran the hero assist train on hib and we farmed zergs at keeps when there wasnt much 8v8 :P

As for the whole skald debate, I'd still want to run one in group but it isn't "mandatory" is all I was saying. Mancave is rolling a Skald with us right off the bat because we'll be running one but you can easily run without it. 3x healer, skald, sham, 3x DPS, or 2x healer, skald, sham, RM, 3x DPS are all standard builds but Ive seen quite a few 3x healer, sham, 4x savage/zerk groups mostly because hib would run tank trains so its not like they will be extending. On paper you can say you can pre-kite for days with speed, but when the fight initiates CC and interrupts will keep you mostly grounded. Healer speed and sprint would be enough in that situation. I've heard AOTG is pretty insane though, so it seems a floating skald may seem ideal on Uth.

And if your 3x healers and shaman arent taking care of interrupts and you need a skald to help out, you are doing something very, very wrong.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

shadok posted:

Holy poo poo, I think I just had something like a PTSD flashback. I need to go lie down.

It used to be much worse in the original Everquest in 1999 : To regen mana you not only had to sit down but actually open your spellbook (which blocked your whole screen) and press a little "meditate" button.
After much complaining on the forums they gave caster classes the ability to sit and med automatically without opening the spellbook at level 30-something.

Yep, oldskool MMO's were rough, uphill in the snow both ways, but we were happy we had it.

One thing I lack in DAoC, which all modern MMO's have, are skills that affect positioning such as charge/blink/backdrop or whatever. However the /stick is something I really miss in other games.
I am really curious which DAoC features they will simply borrow while making Camelot Unchained, which ones they will adapt/improve and which ones they will deliberately remove.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Woodhouse posted:

Blue & Yellow, and it was mostly during euro times. We ran the hero assist train on hib and we farmed zergs at keeps when there wasnt much 8v8 :P

As for the whole skald debate, I'd still want to run one in group but it isn't "mandatory" is all I was saying. Mancave is rolling a Skald with us right off the bat because we'll be running one but you can easily run without it. 3x healer, skald, sham, 3x DPS, or 2x healer, skald, sham, RM, 3x DPS are all standard builds but Ive seen quite a few 3x healer, sham, 4x savage/zerk groups mostly because hib would run tank trains so its not like they will be extending. On paper you can say you can pre-kite for days with speed, but when the fight initiates CC and interrupts will keep you mostly grounded. Healer speed and sprint would be enough in that situation. I've heard AOTG is pretty insane though, so it seems a floating skald may seem ideal on Uth.

And if your 3x healers and shaman arent taking care of interrupts and you need a skald to help out, you are doing something very, very wrong.

Yeah, sure. But nothing works perfectly in DAoC, sometimes things happen. I try to take a more practical and realistic approach to the game. 3 healer setups are super strong, bordering on overpowered, but they're boring and vulnerable to hybrid and caster setups.

Looking forward to rolling you guys again as a Hib this time. I believe most of the folks I ran with on Genesis are going Hib this time around.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm totally okay playing Hib the next time around. Been wanting to play a light Eld for a long time now.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I keep telling myself I'll play two realms. But the reality is I'll make a raid character first, then a stealther, and then not feel like changing realms at all because I like stealthers too much and by loving golly you need a raid character if you want to get gear for your loving stealther. People don't even take Minsts in 8-mans for RvR. Which, is also mind boggling like our discussion about the Skald earlier. gently caress YOU ALBION PIGS WHO WON'T TAKE MY MINST!

I can't even count the amount of small man raids I was not allowed on as a Mintrel. Especially DF. If I wanted to do prince or legion I had to form my own raid.

EE: I blame lazy, afk Minstrels, actually. People were always amazed when I twisted songs and instruments in group, all the while meleeing or being CC.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 10, 2015

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Why would people be so selective for pve? As long as my group had end, pom, a healer and someone who could remotely act as a tank the 4 other spots could be pretty much anything? Wardens or Thanes tanking? Noprob.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

In albion on uthgard people only wanted theurg/cleric/reaver/paladin for pve small man groups. Sometimes a second reaver. Then people wouldn't have to split as much loot. Not to confuse this too much with just basic exp groups but anything decent loot became involved people get greedy.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Alb PvE was pretty broken. A couple theurgs and a reaver and you broke the mob. And I think he was talking about PvE in the farming aspect, like drop mobs. i.e. Evern, Glacier Giant, etc. But as for RvR I don't really like the no-minst setup, but I can actually see the logic when you're playing Alb, whereas on mid you're just punching yourself in the balls for funsies doing that. Everything is so loving spread out class-wise on Alb, it's hard to justify a minstrel.
But with SoS being minstrel only on Neo-Uthgard, they might be a thing again.

PriNGLeS fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 11, 2015

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Ow right, the original realm abilities.
Then I'm definitely playing Hibernia with their monopoly on Group Purge iirc.

My very first character was upon release was a Warden, and that Thornweed Field -which was invisible- was totally bonkers. I'm not sure which other signature RA's will be exclusive to one realm under RA 1.0, it has been so long ago. But Group Purge and Speed of Sound are definitely right up there.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, was looking at camelot unchained and it tugged at my nostalgia a bit, liked some of the stuff they want to go for like no leveling and largely player made equipment, then I got to the furry and butt wing races and not sure what to think of it, whats the general consensus on it or is it way too early to tell?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, was looking at camelot unchained and it tugged at my nostalgia a bit, liked some of the stuff they want to go for like no leveling and largely player made equipment, then I got to the furry and butt wing races and not sure what to think of it, whats the general consensus on it or is it way too early to tell?

It's being led by Mark Jacobs - the bane of DAoC and Warhammer Online both. It'll probably be a steaming pile of poo poo, outright lies, and reneged promises. Dude is a scumbag.
That being said it'll probably be fun for a month or two like just about every new MMO is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Too early to tell.

I'm in the alpha and the NDA does not allow me to give specifics, but it seems to me they are certainly listening to the backers and are asking our opinion on typical hot topics.

Yes some of the races are quite exotic, and you are not the only one who seems to have a problem with that. However each realm will have a somewhat humanoid race (this is info you can just find on the site so this is not a leak).

• Locked thread