Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They do, that's how I've unlocked the Lost twice.

I dunno, they didn't work for me. I had to die through direct contact with Satan. Maybe they should work, but don't always?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

Uggh, goddammit, I forgot about this and just failed to unlock him. Shots on the second form don't count I guess.

Edit: You'd think this would be mentioned on the wiki, at least.

Brimstone doesn't count, the bullets and contact damage do.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TheModernAmerican posted:

It's not all that hard to get an infinite reroll setup

completely untrue

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Getting an infinite reroll setup blows but not nearly as much as some other stuff. If you've got 1-2 secret room items left, setting up an infinite reroll to get the right one is totally worth it. Bomb out the mushrooms in the corners and you can get two rerolls going at once, I got 1up/Skeleton Key on the same run on my second save file by getting a Magic Mushroom/Mini Mush from an itemless secret room (not an infinite reroll at that point in the run because of no Pyromaniac, but it got there in the chest).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's easier than getting Meat Boy/Bandage Girl, but it still really sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meat Boy/Bandage Girl is why I don't have PPG. I refuse to bother with that ridiculous rerolling shitfest. I've gotten Book of Rev on the first floor multiple times and every single time I got Conquest on the Womb.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

The RNG must love me, because I got Super Bandage Girl early on :shrug:

Although I always get bandages instead of meat, so I don't think I've even formed Meat Boy's head.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Best I've ever had of either is two. Once I got two bandage balls and two cubes of meat.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Crackbone posted:

completely untrue

I have gotten some kind of game break about 15 times, whether it's from pyromaniac or scapular or whatever. I have seen Steven exactly one time after grinding Azazel runs for 6 hours over 3 days.

Power of Pecota posted:

Getting an infinite reroll setup blows but not nearly as much as some other stuff. If you've got 1-2 secret room items left, setting up an infinite reroll to get the right one is totally worth it. Bomb out the mushrooms in the corners and you can get two rerolls going at once, I got 1up/Skeleton Key on the same run on my second save file by getting a Magic Mushroom/Mini Mush from an itemless secret room (not an infinite reroll at that point in the run because of no Pyromaniac, but it got there in the chest).

Or take a judgement card into the secret room on the chest, preferably with the blank card so you have a bunch of them, then blow them up and start rerolling. I got liver 1up and the skeleton key in one run that way.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Crackbone posted:

completely untrue

You can get up to 23 rerolls just with the wafer and sharp plug, which is easy to obtain with restart scumming. If you take it to the chest you are almost guaranteed to get a healing item of some sort.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TheModernAmerican posted:

I have gotten some kind of game break about 15 times, whether it's from pyromaniac or scapular or whatever. I have seen Steven exactly one time after grinding Azazel runs for 6 hours over 3 days.

Or take a judgement card into the secret room on the chest, preferably with the blank card so you have a bunch of them, then blow them up and start rerolling. I got liver 1up and the skeleton key in one run that way.

Yes, your personal experiences in a game of 300+ mostly randomly created items is surely representative of everyone's results!

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I finally finished The Lost!! I beat Dark Room earlier today with Ipecac and Guppy's Head (not even full Guppy) but the real credit goes to the Algiz rune that let me beat the double Teratoma room that would've ended my run otherwise. Boss Rush was defeated with the ol' standby, Brimstone Guppy along with Hive Mind. Now I just need to reroll some angel rooms for Godhead and RPG is mine.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Crackbone posted:

Yes, your personal experiences in a game of 300+ mostly randomly created items is surely representative of everyone's results!

There are a variety of ways to get infinite rerolls, there is exactly one way to get Steven, and you can't even reroll Lil' Steve for a second attempt at getting Steven anymore, since it just uses the boss room pool after he dies. You should be playing for sharp plug shenanigans if you're looking to fill out your collection page anyway. Sorry for trying to give advice I guess?

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 10, 2015

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

My first attempt at Family Man, the game gives me Guppy (Collar, Head, Dead Cat) and Devil Bum in Caves I.

And then I get to the Womb, and who do I find?

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I hope you won! Lil' Brimstone is wonderful for that challenge and Epic Fetus is a really fun item.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Pivotal Lever posted:

I hope you won! Lil' Brimstone is wonderful for that challenge and Epic Fetus is a really fun item.

Yeah, I did. It was tricky to hit enemies with Lil' Brimstone because he was at the end of the line of familiars, but I'm still happy I grabbed it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Is there some quirk with unlocking The Lost in the Vita version where you can't do it with seeds or something? This is exactly what I did, confirmed by the pictures at the end of each run, on normal difficulty, and without otherwise dying or quitting a run in between:

1. As Isaac, died to a Mulliboom (the Mulligan with the bomb in its head, that charges at you) in Basement I. Used a seed.
2. As Maggie, died to my own bomb in Caves I. Used a seed.
3. As Judas, died to a foot stomp from (blue champion) Mom. Used a seed.
4. As Azazel, died to one of the bullets fired by Satan (not The Fallen). Did not use a seed.

Did I gently caress up anywhere there other than the bullets, which may or may not work depending upon some factor no one understands or can explain?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 10, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The D100 is a great time and I like getting it early on to mess around, but sometimes things just don't work out. That run ended with a whimper, as is so often the case when Dr. Fetus is involved.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I know the Lost doesn't gain any benefit from it, but can he still activate Guppy's Paw?

I ask because the thought occurred to me that if you had the Holy Mantle, the Broken Remote, and an infinite use item, you could activate the item to flee the room if you got hit, thus recharging the Mantle. Except this might be a tedious tactic, and your activated item and trinket slots might be better saved on items that increase your DPS (Curved Horn, Cancer, Book of Belial)

Some places say to synergize the Cursed Eye with the Mantle, but if you manage to get hit when the Eye's teleport side-effect isn't in effect, then you're pretty much hosed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There are other infinite use items that you can spam (eg the heart container, effectively the tear jar if you have fast enough tears)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any synergies that make Eve's Mascara not the worst item ever?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just lots of Tears Up items, or alternatively, charge items. It's a pretty hefty damage bonus but it kills your DPS if you take it plain.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It's pretty nice with the knife.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Finding a chest in a chest isn't extraordinary, but this is some matryoshka doll poo poo:

anyone else find a chest-in-a-chest-in-a-chest-in-a-chest before?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I don't think I've ever had a run where Eve's Mascara wasn't worth it for the damage, unless you're like speedrunning it shouldn't keep you from getting to the boss rush.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Panniculus Rift posted:

Finding a chest in a chest isn't extraordinary, but this is some matryoshka doll poo poo:

anyone else find a chest-in-a-chest-in-a-chest-in-a-chest before?

How many keys did that take? What did it finally drop?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Someone convince me to play some character other than D6 Isaac. He's just way too fun. :allears:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Someone convince me to play some character other than D6 Isaac. He's just way too fun. :allears:

Eden runs are fun because you get combinations of items you'd never take with D6 Isaac, and you'd be surprised at how much different it feels when you're not checking the map constantly to min/max your D6 rerolls.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Get a devil deal every floor with Judas, do loads of damage.

Or play Cain, lots of drops and you get to use different active items.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Eden is great fun. Give in, surrender yourself to the whims of luck. :getin:

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

Play as Lazarus because, um,

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

ConorT posted:

Play as Lazarus because, um,

It'd be cool if Laz started with a Suicide King.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I usually kill Lazarus if the first boss drops some HP up, alternatively on a first devil deal if I luck up and don't have much HP. Other than that, ehh.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Ferroque posted:

How many keys did that take? What did it finally drop?

Two keys. First I got a golden chest from a brown chest, within that another brown chest that contained a really tiny golden chest. It dropped the red heart you can see in the screen shot and a couple of pennies. Not really worth it, but it didn't matter on that crazy rear end Eden D100-run.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It's pretty amazing as Azazel.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Tech.5

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I did not know that Sad Bombs synergized with Bob's Brain. :stare: I need to stop passing up/rerolling that item so often. At least Sad Bombs is a great item.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Oh thank God, I finally finished my Lost unlocks. Funny how I die and die and die and when I get a run with Holy Mantle and Dead Cat, I manage to not lose a single life until Satan. The Lamb didn't even touch me.

Now to find Sacred Heart, The Mind, The Soul, Godhead, d100, Transcendence and 1-Up. The problem is every time I do an Isaac run to try to find them, I wind up getting some crazy damage combo and forgetting about my unlocks and murdering the game all to pieces. :v:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
This was just an Eden run, so no big loss. But it hurts when the RNG hands out some nice damage ups and then takes it all away with this.

The exit is somewhere out the other side of this room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Gromit posted:

This was just an Eden run, so no big loss. But it hurts when the RNG hands out some nice damage ups and then takes it all away with this.

The exit is somewhere out the other side of this room.

Can't you just quit and continue until you get plopped in front of one of the other doors?