Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

This is the most crushing article I've read in a while, and that's saying something considering what I regularly read. Jesus Christ.

He has the weirdest body shape I have ever seen. Big fat guy but normal sized face and tiny arms. What a reprehensible piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shageletic posted:

This is the most crushing article I've read in a while, and that's saying something considering what I regularly read. Jesus Christ.

The good news is that he won't be reelected next term. The bad news is that that's only because he's term limited out (otherwise, he's almost certainly win if he wanted to run. He won an uncontested election last year and his previous race was a 67/33 landslide.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Joementum posted:

Here's something for you to enjoy this evening: Ted Cruz pausing for applause and not getting any at the IFAA confab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWkImxhTFTk
Oh my god this is the video version of that 'lonely Ron Paul' photo

Did no staffer think it wasn't the greatest idea to go off on the IRS at a firefighter's convention? Why would they give a crap?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Note that the range there (at least for the Presidency) is 10-45%.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Joementum posted:

Quotes of the day:

"I believe they are growing in size. Congress has to take this seriously because sharknado is a real phenomenon." ~ Michele Bachmann, filming a scene for Sharknado 3.

"Who is that?" ~ a woman observing the filming.

"I don't know. I think it's someone playing a congresswoman." ~ a friend of the woman observing the filming.

Beautiful :allears:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did no staffer think it wasn't the greatest idea to go off on the IRS at a firefighter's convention? Why would they give a crap?

I imagine it was some clueless rear end in a top hat (possibly Cruz himself) who figured that a traditionally blue collar profession would give a poo poo about taxes, but didn't realize they were a time traveler from the 90s.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

You see, firemen are Red-Blooded True Americans and therefor must inevitably agree with everything Ted Cruz thinks. Never mind that they are ethnically-diverse government employees funded by tax dollars.

His whole presentation style is so "that guy you loving hated in Debate/FFA speech/any kind of school extracurricular" that it's not even funny. I wouldn't be surprised if even Texans get tired of him after a while.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 12, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Killer robot posted:

Given most a gun's recoil is from propellant gases and not bullet, and the same amount of propellant would generate the same amount of total force with or without a bullet, how noticeable is it? I've never shot blanks so don't know the difference.

This is actually incorrect. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Upon firing a bullet, the propellant pushes the bullet out of the barrel. It also pushes backwards on either the casing (which pushes into the bolt) or onto the firearm itself if there's no cartridge case. Heavier bullets consistently result in heavier recoil; while you can increase recoil further by firing a faster velocity, a heavier bullet at the same velocity will always have stronger recoil. This is why a musket firing a .65 caliber lead ball at less than the speed of sound has more recoil than a .22 pistol loaded with supersonic ammo, and why a .45 ACP with a heavier bullet at 900 FPS has more felt recoil than a 9mm with a lighter bullet at 1200 FPS.

When firing a blank, all the propellant simply shoots out the end and the bare minimum is kept by physically blocking the end of the barrel with a bottleneck to ensure that the action cycles reliably. A relatively unfit person can one-hand an AK full auto loaded with blanks and barely even care, while a load of live ammunition would send the gun flipping into the air or potentially out of their hand. Actors on set often have to mime additional recoil when firing.

If you had one guy on a firing squad an ordinary blank, he WILL notice. With Utah's recent allowing of firing squads for execution, it's become common to use wax bullets that provide some level of recoil while disintegrating harmlessly when fired.

Movie trivia: this is why 9mm guns were often used instead of .45s when needing to use semi-auto blank pistols. .45 ACP has a lower pressure than 9x19mm Parabellum, which failed to reliably cycle the action of pistols like the M1911 for a long time when loaded with blanks. It was common in older films like The Getaway and the 1987 Untouchables movie to have their actors handling real M1911s most of the time, then giving them 9mm copies like the Star Model B when they needed to fire. This has changed nowadays with improvements in firearms technology, and such trickery isn't required.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 12, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Cruz speaking to a Union conference is like when Romney spoke to the NAACP. It's really about showing other groups what you told them, how you told them how it is, and kept a stiff neck in the face of their opposition.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That was me. It wasn't lobbyists in his state; it was in Washington. I was working at a fairly prominent lobbying firm in 2012 when he was first elected as a Congressman and he came in for a sit down meeting when he was referred to our firm by some Republican foreign policy think tank. He was the biggest idiot / empty suit I have ever seen in my life. When someone else at the firm told me that he had gone to Harvard I literally thought he was making a joke. He sat down for about 45 minutes with his army buddy / campaign manager. Highlights include:

- Asking if it was possible to vote without being in congress; either by phone or by proxy.
- Asking who to contact to get a finance director, because his army buddy / campaign manager was doing the entire campaign budget and donations in excel during the campaign and was relying on outside money for ads / had no idea what he was doing and didn't want to get arrested for FEC reporting violations.
- Asking what "the best" committee to be on was.
- Gave out his personal cell phone number to multiple top lobbyists so "I can call you if I have any questions."
- Asked what Medicare Part A and B were. He knew what Part D was.

Jesus loving christ and this guy wants to run for president in 2020

Who did this guy run against?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

Late to this party, but firing squad (in Utah at least) has always been done by volunteers from the LE community. Also there is a blank placed in one of the rifles which are given out at random; nobody knows which rifle contains the blank which is supposed to assuage any feelings of guilt because you could have been the dude with the harmless rifle.

At the risk of stating the obvious, what a load of hypocritical poo poo. Maybe that feeling of guilt they feel should convince the executioners what they're participating in is wrong.

Instead, let's construct an elaborate illusion to convince you that even though you volunteered to kill an unarmed prisoner in the name of the law, you might not really have been the one who killed him. Not that there would be anything wrong with that, of course. :downs:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Joementum posted:

Here's something for you to enjoy this evening: Ted Cruz pausing for applause and not getting any at the IFAA confab.

More words...... than the bible :smug:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

nachos posted:

More words...... than the bible :smug:
I would hope something as necessarily complicated as tax codes for a country of 300+ million people would have more words than the bible, thanks for settling my fears, Teddy.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Al Harrington posted:

Jesus loving christ and this guy wants to run for president in 2020

Who did this guy run against?

He ran against an incumbent Democratic senator in a state whose Democratic party has disintegrated since 2008 in a wave year.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

He ran against an incumbent Democratic senator in a state whose Democratic party has disintegrated since 2008 in a wave year.

Actually, in 2012 when I first met him and he first got into the House he ran against some nobody Democratic State Senator after Mike Ross retired and left the seat open to run for Governor.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWkImxhTFTk

Excellent point! I am not surprised to learn that Vitter's amendment is, as described, stupid.
Okay just hear me out.

Jeb Bush''s and Scott Walker's campaigns implode during the primaries, while Rubio never gets off the ground. Ted Cruz meanwhile gets the base fired up to the point where people are loudly cheering after every sentence he speaks in the debates. Anyone outside the base hates him but goddammit they have to run somebody and Paul Ryan died in a freak dishwashing accident.

Cue 3 months of this. 3 solid months of this.

I would be so happy.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

haveblue posted:

(Neither prominent nor successfully scuttled, but still)

How can we trust you to govern if you can't even hit the level cap? Learn2lvl nub.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay just hear me out.

Jeb Bush''s and Scott Walker's campaigns implode during the primaries, while Rubio never gets off the ground. Ted Cruz meanwhile gets the base fired up to the point where people are loudly cheering after every sentence he speaks in the debates. Anyone outside the base hates him but goddammit they have to run somebody and Paul Ryan died in a freak dishwashing accident.

Cue 3 months of this. 3 solid months of this.

I would be so happy.

uhhhhhhh i'm detecting a distinct lack of Chris Christie in this post

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

a shameful boehner posted:

Chris Christie vs. Joe Biden in the VP Debate.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Christie is sunk between the forgotten Bridge debacle and him selling out New Jersey to the tune of 7 or so billion dollars in exchange for 'donations' by the oil industry for 2 million if I remember right.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Christie is sunk between the forgotten Bridge debacle and him selling out New Jersey to the tune of 7 or so billion dollars in exchange for 'donations' by the oil industry for 2 million if I remember right.

Please, nothing could sink Chris Christie.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Party Plane Jones posted:

Neither of those matter to Republican primary voters. It's true that he's sunk, but only because he shook hands with Obama.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Neither of those matter to Republican primary voters. It's true that he's sunk, but only because he shook hands with Obama.

This is the truth. We'll see what happens when he's able to get on stage and yell at the other candidates, which is where his potential strength lies, but right now the likely primary voters are incapable of seeing past the hug heard round the south

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Chris Christie hasn't lost 60 lbs has he? If he hasn't, then he isn't running, simple as that.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Looks like it's time to update my resume. I can put this next to my "Time Person of the Year" award from 2006.

quote:

Republican Texas state Rep. Jonathan Stickland hung a sign outside his office in the Texas Capitol on Wednesday identifying as a "former fetus," sparking a feud between Stickland and another Texas Republican, the Texas Tribune reported.

When state Rep. Charlie Geren (R), chairman of the House Administration Committee, removed the sign, Stickland scoffed.

Stickland told the Texas Tribune that the sign was "ripped down and thrown in my staffer's face by Charlie Geren."

"I thought it was absolutely handled in the wrong way," he said. "I wish Rep. Geren was more professional about it instead of intimidating my staff."

Geren told the Tribune that he removed the sign because it violated State Preservation Board rules for maintaing the Capitol.

"Tearing them down is hardly the deal," Geren said. "If Stickland wants to act like a child, that's fair, but I did not rip it down."

According to Stickland, Texas Right to Life distributed the signs to multiple state represenatatives.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

To be honest, everything I know about John McCain made me surprised to find out he signed that letter, and it would really explain a lot to learn that he's an old man and someone gave him a thing to sign and he just signed it cause whatever.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

skaboomizzy posted:

Looks like it's time to update my resume. I can put this next to my "Time Person of the Year" award from 2006.

Gee, I wonder why we don't just call children fetuses? Since aborting a fetus is the same thing as "murdering children."

Is there, maybe, something that happens to a fetus that makes it a children? :iiam:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Please, nothing could sink Chris Christie.

:golfclap:

Assuming that's a fat joke.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Everblight posted:

Chris Christie hasn't lost 60 lbs has he? If he hasn't, then he isn't running, simple as that.

He did indeed lose weight.

However, he will get tricked into assaulting an oppo tracker so still not going to get nominated.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Everblight posted:

He's probably lost at least that much but he still won't be running any time soon

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

He's probably lost at least that much but he still won't be running any time soon

which is ironic because running is how you lose weight! :eng101:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
gently caress you Chris Christie, I lost 75 pounds this year without surgery of any kind, and I weighed less than you currently do to begin with so I had to eat less and exercise more from the get go.

You fat gently caress.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
"Organizations that murder children are not welcome in my office" just strikes me as such an odd sentence.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Apparently this whole "gently caress infrastructure spending" is backfiring all over the faces of a bunch of Ohio far exburbanites who live around Buckeye Lake on the fringe around Columbus. The dam there is in such catastrophically bad shape (because these chucklefucks built like 350 homes on top of the goddamn dam) that the ACE is like "welp, time to drain the loving lake permanently" because the alternativehahaha like that loving rodent Kasich is going to sign off on a loving project to repair it.

Bizarro Watt posted:

"Organizations that murder children are not welcome in my office" just strikes me as such an odd sentence.

Weird because something about him says he's had folks from NRA in his office.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 12, 2015

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

gently caress you Chris Christie, I lost 75 pounds this year without surgery of any kind, and I weighed less than you currently do to begin with so I had to eat less and exercise more from the get go.

You fat gently caress.

Good job.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Bizarro Watt posted:

Especially because last year the Texas police claimed Stickland had a "total disregard for the safety of our children" and urged people to vote him out of office.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

As a former sperm, let me tell you about my harrowing experience becoming the only survivor of the condom shoa.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

Apparently this whole "gently caress infrastructure spending" is backfiring all over the faces of a bunch of Ohio far exburbanites who live around Buckeye Lake on the fringe around Columbus. The dam there is in such catastrophically bad shape (because these chucklefucks built like 350 homes on top of the goddamn dam) that the ACE is like "welp, time to drain the loving lake permanently" because the alternativehahaha like that loving rodent Kasich is going to sign off on a loving project to repair it.

My dad has worked for like 25 years in a water processing and pumping plant for a fairly large city. Some of the poo poo he tells me about the infrastructure in this country is just god drat terrifying and it's only going to get worse. There are pipes in use right now that were left in the ground around the industrial revolution. Nobody has any idea what path they travel to arrive at their destination until they break and cause damage. They are significant portions of a century past their initial expected life span, but welp there's no possible way we could have enough money in the budget to fix things and they haven't failed catastrophically yet. Often. Well OK maybe a little. A lot. Ya know what gently caress it here's this as an example that I googled up in a few seconds.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/01/interactive_map_of_the_harrisb.html

And that's just the extremely obvious damage caused by poor water infrastructure. Let's talk about bridges, or dams. The things that can fail and kill a lot of people, and are going to start doing so in alarming numbers. The electrical grid in this country? Sweet baby Jesus it's amazing things still work and a testament to the engineering of times gone past when people invested in the future as opposed to watching (or making) things burn to the ground so they can loot the ashes for their next quarterly report. Gotta keep cutting those taxes though. Can't have that nasty gubmint going around doing things. People might get ideas into their heads.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
On that point, and this is probably a dumb question, but I don't associate centuries old European infrastructure with the same level of decrepitude you see in America. Do they just spend more on overhead or what? Are overbuilt stone archways really fantastic or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Reinforced concrete is the great modern miracle that doesn't work because concrete and steel behave differently when temperature changes. Also steel rusts

• Locked thread