Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Geight posted:

Maybe I just like gimmicky poo poo but I'm a huge fan of the writer's levels and the soldier's levels. I will say that the writer's ability to "execute" enemies faster than anyone else actually makes him feel pretty capable in a melee!

Don't forget the combo bonuses for killing guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh good there are invisible walls in the next part. That's great.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

I can't hack it at the power plant and youtube is failing me, anyone wanna share details on the ending?

It's not that bad. Go the cheap/necessary? route with shift look and shotgun. Camp at the ammo dumps and just spray everywhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

That's what I mean; twenty bullets in and the fat guy survived. He didn't even do the thing where he coughed up blood and fell over later. He couldn't be killed that attempt. I just got to the second area but this really isn't fun anymore.

I'm on normal, they just look like normal dudes except no matter how much you slash them with a knife or shoot them with a gun they don't stop coming until you are dead. Which doesn't take very long usually.

This sounds bugged as hell. I just went through that stage and while level design was infuriating as always all the dudes got dead with a quickness once I shot or stabbed them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Uh looks like you just need to git gud dude. :smug:

Most people posting this are dumb, but it's true here. Never leave a floor holding a gun with only one loving bullet. That's on your friend for not planning ahead. Either find a full one or grab a melee weapon before heading to the next level.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

CJacobs posted:

This screenshot from a friend of mine is basically hotline miami 2.png. Very few times did you spawn in an unwinnable situation in the first game but there's literally nothing he can do here, so even after clearing the previous levels of this chapter he now has to restart the whole thing which really sucks.

Not to condescend but I was stuck in the exact same situation and I found the solution to be waiting for the patrolling shotgun dude to move in front of the door, knock the door down, shoot the heavy enemy and throw my gun at the other standing enemy. This leaves the room you're in fairly safe and in my experience the only responders were dogs and melee-equipped enemies. It's certainly not unwinnable, but it's a little less fun when there is only one solution that requires fairly ridiculous execution. (I died a lot trying to do this, I'm not good just persistent)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

This sounds bugged as hell. I just went through that stage and while level design was infuriating as always all the dudes got dead with a quickness once I shot or stabbed them.

It probably is but at this point I wouldn't put it past being intentional, it happened every single attempt to a random guy.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I had to restart that level because I went up with a silenced pistol, full magazine but it was just too difficult because by the time I needed another gun to take out the heavies, it was too dangerous to get it.

The best way to do that level is to make sure you're ALWAYS carrying the big machine gun with 30 bullets. It's the only weapon worth a drat. Park yourself outside the first door, shoot the dogs down the corridor and keep firing so anyone who runs out to get you eats a wall of lead.

Honestly, if it's not too hard to edit the levels, I'd love to see a patch that removes like 30% of the windows, 40% of the enemies and slightly increases the shiftlook range in later levels for normal mode. I think the cause of HLM2's faults is that the people who tested the game must have been really, really dedicated to playing that game, as these levels require some serious chops to play in any other way than "Camp corners until you've left a morbid doormat of corpses three feet from where you started".

It's not enough to put me off finishing, because HLM's sense of style is still present and accounted for even here, but it does feel like the cards are heavily stacked against you. It'd be cool if larger characters like Bear played by heavy gunner rules too so they could take a bunch of hits before expiring: That way you could keep the level design largely the same but allow for a little more flexibility in rampages.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
A line I missed but really like:

Richard to Manny: " You, I don't get. Why is it you do the things you do?"

CJacobs posted:

This screenshot from a friend of mine is basically hotline miami 2.png. Very few times did you spawn in an unwinnable situation in the first game but there's literally nothing he can do here, so even after clearing the previous levels of this chapter he now has to restart the whole thing which really sucks. And to be fair, it doesn't happen extremely frequently in this game either, but it's definitely possible enough to be noteworthy.

The entire last act is really really bad for that.

I can't hack it at the power plant and youtube is failing me, anyone wanna share details on the ending?

Jacket was a soldier with Beard. Beard died when San Francisco was nuked 2 years prior to the first game. Manny is the Miami Mutilator. 50 Blessings was created by the army general.

Richter survived the first game and escaped to Hawaii. He explains to Evan that he was the one who made the 50 Blessing target marks, but didn't do 'real' missions until one day his car was torched and it was implied his sickly mother would be next if he didn't comply, so he did.

The Son overdosed on pills, and killed a number of his own men in his hallucogenic state, as well as Mark, Corey, Ash and Alex. He injures Tony, then leaps off the skyscraper. Tony is executed by Manny.

The final scene is Richter chilling in Hawaii with his mother. A news broadcast reports that a coup was staged and both the US and Russian presidents were killed. Russia then obliterates the United States with nuclear weapons.

The whole thing is real/a vision/a movie/a dream/???

...Probably.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

Don't forget the combo bonuses for killing guns

Yeah I loved grabbing a shotgun and using it to keep my combo alive while I was moving from one area to another. :allears: Writer rules.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Songbearer posted:

I had to restart that level because I went up with a silenced pistol, full magazine but it was just too difficult because by the time I needed another gun to take out the heavies, it was too dangerous to get it.

The best way to do that level is to make sure you're ALWAYS carrying the big machine gun with 30 bullets. It's the only weapon worth a drat. Park yourself outside the first door, shoot the dogs down the corridor and keep firing so anyone who runs out to get you eats a wall of lead.

Honestly, if it's not too hard to edit the levels, I'd love to see a patch that removes like 30% of the windows, 40% of the enemies and slightly increases the shiftlook range in later levels for normal mode. I think the cause of HLM2's faults is that the people who tested the game must have been really, really dedicated to playing that game, as these levels require some serious chops to play in any other way than "Camp corners until you've left a morbid doormat of corpses three feet from where you started".

It's not enough to put me off finishing, because HLM's sense of style is still present and accounted for even here, but it does feel like the cards are heavily stacked against you. It'd be cool if larger characters like Bear played by heavy gunner rules too so they could take a bunch of hits before expiring: That way you could keep the level design largely the same but allow for a little more flexibility in rampages.

HLM2's testers are bizzaroverse versions of Valve's. :v:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anatharon posted:

A line I missed but really like:

Richard to Manny: " You, I don't get. Why is it you do the things you do?"

The entire last act is really really bad for that.

Jacket was a soldier with Beard. Beard died when San Francisco was nuked 2 years prior to the first game. Manny is the Miami Mutilator. 50 Blessings was created by the army general.

Richter survived the first game and escaped to Hawaii. He explains to Evan that he was the one who made the 50 Blessing target marks, but didn't do 'real' missions until one day his car was torched and it was implied his sickly mother would be next if he didn't comply, so he did.

The Son overdosed on pills, and killed a number of his own men in his hallucogenic state, as well as Mark, Corey, Ash and Alex. He injures Tony, then leaps off the skyscraper. Tony is executed by Manny.

The final scene is Richter chilling in Hawaii with his mother. A news broadcast reports that a coup was staged and both the US and Russian presidents were killed. Russia then obliterates the United States with nuclear weapons.

The whole thing is real/a vision/a movie/a dream/???

...Probably.

Jesus.

Reallyweird that Jacket was a soldier, tho 3 days ago we only knew the little info about him that was presented in HM1.

Also i apologize for any typos, awful.app's iPad keyboard is super fucky

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait what happened to author dude

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Honestly what disappointed me the most about the game was that the gameplay wasn't polished up at all from the first one, despite all the time spent developing the sequel. Here's some stuff I've hated from the first game that's still in the second one:

Executing anyone knocked up against a wall makes you drop your weapon.

Picking up a specific weapon near one or more other weapons is such a complete crapshoot I almost believe they have an advanced algorithm that detects which weapon you want and gives you the one you don't.

Doors (and now, even empty doorways) are a complete hot mess of collision.

Basically I was hoping some of those little parts of the gameplay mechanics could be tightened up, but they're all exactly the same or unintentionally worse due to new bugs. Overall, I still enjoy the game but I think it could have been better. :unsmith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh dear god I'm five hours in and only half done. And you guys are saying the design gets worse.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wait what happened to author dude

He either answers his phone and reunites with his family, or ignores them and continues work on his book. Either way he dies in nuclear fire.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Honestly i could live with the large areas, it's just that the sheer number of bad guys makes it so that when you die it sets you back way more than dying in the first one. It thru that rhythmic gameplay loop from the first one out the window.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Geight posted:

Doorways are the best worst thing in hotline miami

A doorway saved my life in Chapter 11, it could happen to you too. On the upper floor of the warehouse, that first tiny room you come across is great for standing directly in front of so that when you fire a shot, the guy in the room comes running through and downs himself. If you time it right you can then knock out and/or kill everybody that comes pouring through the shelving towards you. My winning play was to kill that first dog, lure the silenced pistol guy by line of sight, then stand in front of the door and fire a shotgun. Then by the grace of the Good Door you should clear out a third of the floor.

gently caress the roof though. I just kind of went apeshit on that one, killed the bumrushing pipe guy with a single uzi bullet and then dumped the rest of my clip into the three patrolling guys who walk by those windows.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Geight posted:

Doors (and now, even empty doorways) are a complete hot mess of collision.

Yeah, this is my least favorite thing. I basically have to plan level routes around where there are doors, because that poo poo is completely unpredictable vis-a-vis how it will interact with enemy sight lines, bullets, and melee weaponry.

In other news, holy hell, (post-game spoilers) Dead Ahead on hard is loving nasty. I'm not complaining, because I sort of enjoy the setup, but god drat.

Regarding the story, (HUGE MEGA SPOILERS) I actually really like how all the main characters are killed by nuclear fire in the end. Since none of their actions really seem to matter in the grand scheme of things, it puts the focus on their motivations and personal stories, rather than some greater meaning of their actions.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Got through it in 5 hours, the last level was a joy to play but the two before that, not so much. I don't think I'll be replaying this game as much as HLM1 like the rest of you but I still think it was a decent game, just some levels are absolute dogshit sprinkled between the good ones.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just couldn't take the sewer level with the twins (loving awesome) coming right before the warehouse with the detective (absolutely miserable). I hope it doesn't get as bad as that again. Nearly as bad I could probably take.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I seriously didn't realize that I'd effortlessly cleared the infamous Boat Level until I was on my way out, wading through all the blood. It was not a good stage - yes, let's put actual literal cover shooting in Hotline loving Miami, what a grand idea - but it did make me feel a little proud.

Aaaand then the Fan Ensemble stage happened. Took me a hair under an hour to get through all that bullshit.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mr. Pool posted:

Am I stuck with only one magazine for all the Hawaii levels? If not where/how do I get more ammo?

GET AMMO

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The boat level is the worst one in the game. The next one was hard, but it was still satisfying when I pulled it off. The boat one not so much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want to see a cut of either HM1 or HM2 that has all of the deaths removed, only successful runs. Just to see how short the game is if you play absolutely perfect. :v:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I decided to replay the earlier levels to get A+ and this time I went full yolo and these are my times:

Down Under -- 1:32
Homicide -- 1:17
Hard News -- 1:57
Final Cut -- 2:50

I think I have become a Hotline Miami addict, I just love this game.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I know that this is a controversial opinion but: hotline miami 2 is a good game and I enjoyed it

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

I know that this is a controversial opinion but: hotline miami 2 is a good game and I enjoyed it

I'm right there with you, bro. Well, the vast majority of it anyway. I am not delusional enough to admit there are a handful of levels that are absolute poo poo.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

I can understand where people are coming from with the level design complaints, but at the same time, you can't really act as if the first game was devoid of stuff like that either. (Which you can argue that they should have fixed in the first place, of course.) The room with all the windows in Hot and Heavy comes to mind. Or this room:

Aye but you don't start in that room or a far corner of that room with people on the far end shooting at you while there's people up close too. I'm a couple of levels in (getting out of jail) and I'm gittin gud again. I think I was largely butthurt that my HLM1 skills didnt instantly translate to this game. I'm not a fan of big rooms that the AI can see down but you can't without moving your camera, but its playable. Closed areas with a stream of people to kill while ducking from room to room felt the most stylish in the first game. Its a loving good game anyway even if big rooms are making me pissy.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm not sure this is so controversial. I think most people here are at least enjoying the game, even if they liked the first one better.

Personally I think both are pretty good, but I like the fact that most of the playable characters have some kind of downside/limitation, so maybe I'm just weird.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i got a certain amount of satisfaction out of big rooms once i knew the enemy placement and i could blow away previously annoying enemies from across the room with a shotgun

re: character variety, id wish theyd given something to make the detective different. other than that, i dont miss losing the masks that much since there was no reason to use around 3/4 of them, ever.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 12, 2015

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.
I feel like a huge amount of the reliance on luring people around corners to make the game possible could be eliminated by making enemies not see you if they are facing away. Then you could wait for the one with the gun to turn away to enter the room instead of having to lure him out or snipe him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wit posted:

Aye but you don't start in that room or a far corner of that room with people on the far end shooting at you while there's people up close too.

All you need to do is strafe up and down while holding the trigger and you win too.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

I can understand where people are coming from with the level design complaints, but at the same time, you can't really act as if the first game was devoid of stuff like that either. (Which you can argue that they should have fixed in the first place, of course.) The room with all the windows in Hot and Heavy comes to mind. Or this room:

This is the starting point of the level, and it gives you a shitload of guns so you can bust in and spray the entire room. The bigger bullshit is the next floor where if you try to go forward without knowing what's coming, you get shot, but that's only one time because the next time you go around. I'm replaying HLM1 after god knows how many months and I beat that level in one try.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Actually it's funny how easy the first game is compared to the second, I've been romping through and getting A+ rankings and top scores everywhere while barely dying at all, and I know it's not because I have the levels memorized.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i got a certain amount of satisfaction out of big rooms once i knew the enemy placement and i could blow away previously annoying enemies from across the room with a shotgun

This. It feels REALLY badass firing into a space you know someone will be and then getting that red screen with the extra combo.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I was initially really turned off by the massive open rooms too, but after finishing the game I've kind of learned to deal with them in a consistent manner and don't really mind them anymore. You actually have a surprising amount of time between an enemy seeing you and said enemy shooting at you.

Also, despite complaints of "getting blasted by an enemy outside of your view-range", that isn't TECHNICALLY true. If you can't see an enemy by holding shift, they can't see you. You can see a lot farther than they can.

Quickshanks posted:

I feel like a huge amount of the reliance on luring people around corners to make the game possible could be eliminated by making enemies not see you if they are facing away. Then you could wait for the one with the gun to turn away to enter the room instead of having to lure him out or snipe him.

I do agree with this though.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

All you need to do is strafe up and down while holding the trigger and you win too.

Don't tell me how to kill people mom!!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Or just dart back and forth enough to empty out all their guns and drill each and every one of them. :getin:

That's another thing I felt was somewhat missing from HLM2 - There's not as much player-controlled brutality, though the swans certainly do their best to make up for it. I felt like the original put a lot of effort into having some nasty executions, whereas most of them in 2 are just "beat over the head" or "slice throat with sharp thing".

Also they seem a bit slower, across the board? Just in terms of how long it takes you to finish somebody off.

edit: this is like the payday thread where I make a post and then I re-read it and go "wow I sound like a crazy person"

Geight fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zinkraptor posted:

If you can't see an enemy by holding shift, they can't see you. You can see a lot farther than they can.

This is true horizontally, but not vertically.

Geight posted:

Also they seem a bit slower, across the board? Just in terms of how long it takes you to finish somebody off.

It appears they tried to equalize the length of the finishers, to an extent.

• Locked thread