Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RME
Feb 20, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

red card draw, it's what's for breakfast lunch and dinner

this will go great in my mono red self exile deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

How is that not the red mythic?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How is that not the red mythic?

Don't know but I'm grateful

Also wow Vial was more disappointing than I expected

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Vial of Dragonfire: Literally a much worse version of an ok Fallen Empires card.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

Vial of Dragonfire: Literally a much worse version of an ok Fallen Empires card.

Context is everything, though. 2 Damage is much more important in this limited format.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

This will fit right into my every white Tiny Leaders deck.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Don't know but I'm grateful

Also wow Vial was more disappointing than I expected

It is somehow worse than the bow. I was not expecting an artifact worse than the bow...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's way better than the bow because it kills morphs.

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Wouldn't they have like 3 lands out?

Well if I'm reading this card right, it'd let them play one of the lands they hit to get a fourth one... for whatever that's worth (i.e., not much).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

Holy poo poo this card's insane.

Really hoping mono-R Devotion comes back now.

It's definately playable but I don't think it'd as good as some here are saying. It's actually dead in your opening hard for at least 6-7 turns so I can't see more than 2 being played in a deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

It's definately playable but I don't think it'd as good as some here are saying. It's actually dead in your opening hard for at least 6-7 turns so I can't see more than 2 being played in a deck.

At 4 mana it's basically Inspiration, anything more than that and it's very efficiently costed. Being able to untap and still use the cards you draw is very useful, the card would be pretty terrible without that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think aggressive red decks would still prefer Outpost Siege, but any GR deck will love this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

The problem with any red-draw effect right now is whether its better than Outpost Siege. Its not better than Outpost Siege because burn isn't a legitimate archetype in Standard and because its not permanent card advantage - If you exile three cards the likliehood that you can cast all three isn't very high. Maybe if you were running Sligh, but this card would be terrible in Sligh.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Hah, Heart-Piercer Bow sucked.
Renowned Weaponsmith sucked.
And now Vial of Dragonfire sucks.

Good job wizards, you completed the cycle! :bravo:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jabor posted:

At 4 mana it's basically Inspiration, anything more than that and it's very efficiently costed. Being able to untap and still use the cards you draw is very useful, the card would be pretty terrible without that.

Well the fact that you can do it at their eot is the only thing that makes it playable.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Hah, Heart-Piercer Bow sucked.
Renowned Weaponsmith sucked.
And now Vial of Dragonfire sucks.

Good job wizards, you completed the cycle! :bravo:

Vial is good in limited.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Devotion decks would have no problem Communing for obscene amounts or playing loads of the exiled cards, though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Whether or not the card is playable is secondary to the fantastic flavor hit that the card's interaction with rebound is.

Seriously, ha, nice work WoTC

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Devotion decks would have no problem Communing for obscene amounts or playing loads of the exiled cards, though.

Yeah but is this a better devotion deck mana sink than craters claws? Genesis hydra? Polukranos monsterous?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I dunno but I don't see why it would conflict with any of those cards. It lets you dig right into a Crater's Claws if that's what you want (unlike Genesis Hydra).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Balon posted:

Context is everything, though. 2 Damage is much more important in this limited format.

Have you actually played Fallen Empires limited? I haven't but I have to imagine a shock would be better in that format with how many reusable token generators were in the set and the generally low power level.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I dunno but I don't see why it would conflict with any of those cards. It lets you dig right into a Crater's Claws if that's what you want (unlike Genesis Hydra).

Because you only have so many deck slots for cards that are really bad in your opening hand.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Polukranos is really bad in your opening hand in a deck that runs loads of ramp?

For the record though yeah it's probably better than Genesis Hydra because it draws loads of cards instead of one and also you can use it to find your Crater's.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 12, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Toshimo posted:

I was about to post that they should have just done a functional reprint, but then I double-checked something and guess what Aeolipile and Braingeyser have in common?

quote:

Official Reprint Policy (This card is on the reserved list)

Wizards are the most amazing trolls ever.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mikujin posted:

This will fit right into my every white Tiny Leaders deck.

It's like Journey to Nowhere, but worse!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

I was about to post that they should have just done a functional reprint, but then I double-checked something and guess what Aeolipile and Braingeyser have in common?

Wizards are the most amazing trolls ever.

You say that, but just wait until Aeolipile starts seeing play in Legacy and it shoots up to 300 dollars

you may have to wait a long time

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cernunnos posted:

Or I would say this but apparently:

:rolleyes:

If they didn't put Ghostfire in FRF, no way it will be here. Ghostfire should have been Bathe in Dragonfire, even if its one mana less. Give me the ability to use future-shifted cards in Standard Wizards!

I like how they said when the new Standard plan was released, they said they would start reprinting more things in sets to make up for the lack of a core set. There are still dozens of cards they redo in every set because of "flavor reasons" when its dumb and sucks.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 12, 2015

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Vial is good in limited.

I'm pretty sure 'good' is an overstatement. It's serviceable as removal for players who didn't get any good removal passed to them. I don't think many people are going to be stoked to pay 4 mana for 2 damage that can only be directed at creatures.
And all of these cards are uncommon, so if you happen to land a Renowned Weaponsmith, it's not like you're jamming 4 vials of dragonfire and proceeding to tutor out damage. There aren't any ways to recur artifacts from the graveyard in this block, so it's not really re-useable either.

It's really just a design flop. They had a chance to really nail a cross-set cycle that could really drive home the altered history element of the block.

I went back in time and altered the course of history and all I got was this stupid vial.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 12, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm pretty sure the Ghostfire reference here is the +2 on Ugin, and Ghostfire will make it return in a set his walker card isn't in. But I'd be happy to be wrong.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't get why people care so much about a lovely carbonize that happens to be colorless.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Elyv posted:

I don't get why people care so much about a lovely carbonize that happens to be colorless.

The colorless part is potentially very relevant. It'd have to be a weird environment for it to be worth playing over more efficient burn, but it could happen.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

The same reason someone got angry when I said "its dumb that dragons have to be 5+ CMC." Because every single person who posts in this thread in this thread is a huge loving goon with essentially nonsensical reasons for basically all of their opinions about Magic. :colbert:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

me posted:

Give me the ability to use future-shifted cards in Standard Wizards! :argh: :argh:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Elyv posted:

Because every future-shifted card they print puts us that much closer to Assembling some Contraptions.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

The same reason someone got angry when I said "its dumb that dragons have to be 5+ CMC." Because every single person who posts in this thread in this thread is a huge loving goon with essentially nonsensical reasons for basically all of their opinions about Magic. :colbert:

Yes, the people who called you out for your "this set sucks all the dragons cost too much :qq:" posts are the goony ones.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, the people who called you out for your "this set sucks all the dragons cost too much :qq:" posts are the goony ones.

to be fair he's not wrong on both points

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

to be fair he's not wrong on both points

You still never explained how current standard is "at the far end of overcosted."

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If you take an average of the CMCs of the existing standard card pool it is pretty sluggish compared to RTR, ISD or Zendikar focused Standard decks, sure? I assume that is what he means?

Or it could be an off the cuff remark he refuses to walk back because goon rep / goon cred so very important.

edit: I mean cards people are actually casting and using.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 12, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

If you take an average of the CMCs of the existing standard card pool it is pretty sluggish compared to RTR, ISD or Zendikar focused Standard decks, sure? I assume that is what he means?

Or it could be an off the cuff remark he refuses to walk back because goon rep / goon cred so very important.

Average, maybe, but aggro is not only viable but one of the best performing strategies right now and it's getting a bunch of new playable cards in Dragons. Like if they did print a lovely dragon at 2 CMC people would just complain it was lovely instead of that there were no low CMC dragons. Also who gives a gently caress if dragon tribal is a T1 standard deck, there are plenty of cards to enable it if you just want to Timmy out and play big dragons.

E: I mean I guess it's slow after Monoblue/Monoblack shitshow standard, but I don't get how that's a bad thing. One of the best decks in INN/RTR standard was the slowest most durdly piece of poo poo deck.

E2: This standard is great and I don't get how anyone could complain about it unless they just want some pet archetype to be broken and objectively stronger than other archetypes. It's diverse as hell and Dragons has a ton of new build around cards that could create some completely new competitive decks.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 12, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Average, maybe, but aggro is not only viable but one of the best performing strategies right now and it's getting a bunch of new playable cards in Dragons. Like if they did print a lovely dragon at 2 CMC people would just complain it was lovely instead of that there were no low CMC dragons. Also who gives a gently caress if dragon tribal is a T1 standard deck, there are plenty of cards to enable it if you just want to Timmy out and play big dragons.

E: I mean I guess it's slow after Monoblue/Monoblack shitshow standard, but I don't get how that's a bad thing. One of the best decks in INN/RTR standard was the slowest most durdly piece of poo poo deck.

E2: This standard is great and I don't get how anyone could complain about it unless they just want some pet archetype to be broken and objectively stronger than other archetypes. It's diverse as hell and Dragons has a ton of new build around cards that could create some completely new competitive decks.

I've said multiple times across both threads that I like Standard right now. Jeskai tokens is a great deck, maybe even my second favorite standard deck of all time, and I'm really looking forward to trying to get Monastery Mentor to work post new set, especially with the Shampulse they printed. That I enjoy Standard for the first time since SoM-Inn doesn't mean I don't want to see cards costed low enough that they'll maybe trickle into Modern too, because holy poo poo does that format need a shake-up and unless Wizards suddenly unbans like ten cards the only change will come from the cards within Standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

If RUG isn't good, the format is terrible. Note that modern and standard are bad formats. QED

• Locked thread