Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

If RUG isn't good, the format is terrible. Note that modern and standard are bad formats. QED

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9234&d=252991&f=MO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm not even going to dignity you linking to that trash with a response.

I have been playing that Hoogland RUG deck, more or less, for a year and a half except my Blood Moons are in the board. It's fine but it's pretty weak to Jund, and even weaker to Junk (although I haven't played it since Skrillex was dropped for Rhino, so who knows?) which you may recognize as probably the best decks in the format. The lack of any actual good countermagic really hurts it.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Rules question here.

If I attack with Preeminent Captain and use it's ability to bring in a Captain of the Watch, does the Preeminent Captain receive the +1/+1 from CotW as it's attacking?

Just curious as to how that works.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Santheb posted:

Rules question here.

If I attack with Preeminent Captain and use it's ability to bring in a Captain of the Watch, does the Preeminent Captain receive the +1/+1 from CotW as it's attacking?

Just curious as to how that works.

Yes, it will.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I've been playing it wrong the whole time :( So many games I could've won!

Thank you sir!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

suicidesteve posted:

I'm not even going to dignity you linking to that trash with a response.

I have been playing that Hoogland RUG deck, more or less, for a year and a half except my Blood Moons are in the board. It's fine but it's pretty weak to Jund, and even weaker to Junk (although I haven't played it since Skrillex was dropped for Rhino, so who knows?) which you may recognize as probably the best decks in the format. The lack of any actual good countermagic really hurts it.

This is just the point he reached after trying to make that dumbass U/R Faeries deck work for so long. That deck was really really bad.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

You say that, but just wait until Aeolipile starts seeing play in Legacy and it shoots up to 300 dollars

you may have to wait a long time

Hey it kills Delver! :pseudo:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I feel like that red draw spell will too often be a 5 mana draw 3 discard 2 of them, or draw 3 play a spell and a land.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I hope Rotting Mastodon shows up in this set exactly as it is in Khans except with the birds in the background replaced by dragons and the reference to the Sultai replaced by an identical one to Silumgar.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

New Spoiler (I think it's right)

Myth Realized
W
Enchantment
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, put a lore counter on ~.
2W: Put a lore counter on ~.
W: Until end of turn, becomes a Monk Avatar creature in addition to its other types and gains "This creature's power and toughness are equal to the number of lore counters on it."

Seems pretty nice if it's true. Apparently it's the Mana Deprived spoiler.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The megamorph cycle is now complete.

Seems pretty lame compared to the others really, with the worst body and a rather conditional effect. I guess it might replace Reclamation Sage when it rotates.

A strictly better Acidic Slime?

e: never mind, no land.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 12, 2015

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Gyshall posted:

I'm sure Conley Woods is brewing frantically already.

E: Waaaait a minute, but it doesn't kill a land? That's what makes it a conley card!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Acidic Slime has Deathtouch and kills lands.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

e: never mind, no land.

No land, no deathtouch

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's actually almost a Nantuko Vigilante reprint if you ignore the non-morph casting cost.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
And ETB is (usually) better than being turned face up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

Vial of Dragonfire: Literally a much worse version of an ok Fallen Empires card.

:(

Really? I mean. It is kind of synergistic with Reknowned Weaponsmith just because he generates exactly the mana necessary to either throw it out onto the field or crack it. But, still... :sigh:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Samael posted:

Myth Realized
W
Enchantment
W: Until end of turn, becomes a Monk Avatar creature in addition to its other types and gains "This creature's power and toughness are equal to the number of lore counters on it."

I'm definitely gonna built UW mentor control after DTK hits. Don't know if it can beat GW devotion though.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Samael posted:

Myth Realized
W
Enchantment

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Lancelot posted:

I'm definitely gonna built UW mentor control after DTK hits. Don't know if it can beat GW devotion though.

I was going to play Jeskai Mentor Control after DTK hits as well, but with this card spoiled I might go for a more control-like jeskai tokens deck.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

No hyperbole here, but that seems really good. Would this possibly be strong enough to make UW delver a thing in Modern? I mean a deck like this:

4 delver of secrets
4 snapcaster mage
3 vendillion clique
2 restoration angel

4 myth realized
3 remand
4 spell snare
4 path to exile
4 serum visions
3 mana leak
2 vapor snag
2 sleight of hand

4 flooded strand
4 polluted delta
2 windswept heath
4 seachrome coast
3 hallowed fountain
3 island
1 plains

Seems like it might be decent

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Just checked maro's tumblr and people are ALREADY asking about when we're going to return to tarkir. Jesus Christ, magic players.....

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Starving Autist posted:

Just checked maro's tumblr and people are ALREADY asking about when we're going to return to tarkir. Jesus Christ, magic players.....

Return to Tarkir: The not-Mongol invasion of not-Japan.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

oh god it avoids wraths

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:vince:

That is stupid good. And it triggers of off extra copies. And it dodges sorcery speed removal. And it is a late-game mana sink. And....I'm going back to Jeskai Ascendancy after this.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
:vince: seems correct. Holy smoke, that card can do some work.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mince Pieface posted:

Should have reprinted Skeletal Scrying. Would be perfect for delve-y flavor.

Somehow I don't see them printing a card that works sorta like delve but actually completely differently in the Delve block.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

:vince:

That is stupid good. And it triggers of off extra copies. And it dodges sorcery speed removal. And it is a late-game mana sink. And....I'm going back to Jeskai Ascendancy after this.

Yessss. I can see 4 copies going straight into jeskai tokens. You can even animate it and use it as an extra convoke creature for stoke the flames!

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Samael posted:

Yessss. I can see 4 copies going straight into jeskai tokens. You can even animate it and use it as an extra convoke creature for stoke the flames!

Because that would save you .. how much mana again? :D

(Yes, 1 if you are blocking with it, but still...a White mana to reduce Stoke by a colorless)

Lars fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 12, 2015

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Lars posted:

Because that would save you .. how much mana again? :D

A grand total of 1 mana (With ascendancy on board)!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I like it quite a bit, but sadly it's another white enchantment in a standard format that features many incidental hate cards. Whether it be glare of heresy or erase, it would suck to lose the card after investing into it. Still going to jam them, because it's sweet!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If any of you listen to NPR's Planet Money podcast, their most recent episode is about Magic. Fairly interesting stuff but I don't think it's anything we haven't bickered to death about in this thread. No mention of the Reserve List but the host does talk about something called "the Ugin".

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

C-Euro posted:

If any of you listen to NPR's Planet Money podcast, their most recent episode is about Magic. Fairly interesting stuff but I don't think it's anything we haven't bickered to death about in this thread. No mention of the Reserve List but the host does talk about something called "the Ugin".

My favourite bit was when he tried to describe it "Well, no one could describe it properly to me, but it looks like a dragon...in space?"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Polukranos is really bad in your opening hand in a deck that runs loads of ramp?

For the record though yeah it's probably better than Genesis Hydra because it draws loads of cards instead of one and also you can use it to find your Crater's.

IDK if I agree. You're not just drawing a card with Hydra. You're putting something good into play most of the time.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

No evasion on the dork it makes but holy gently caress is this a good one. Very resilient.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I didn't understand why all these dragons are overcosted until somebody told me the Eldrazi are coming to Zendikar

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is really really good. You don't have to do anything pretty much to get it going and it's not going to be easy to remove.

C-Euro posted:

Please include a Zak Hill trigger warning next time.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 12, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mcmagic posted:

This is really really good. You don't have to do anything pretty much to get it going and it's not going to be easy to remove.

You're right, there's definitely no sideboard playable enchantment removal in this standard.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Deofuta posted:

I like it quite a bit, but sadly it's another white enchantment in a standard format that features many incidental hate cards. Whether it be glare of heresy or erase, it would suck to lose the card after investing into it. Still going to jam them, because it's sweet!
The thing is that you don't have to invest much into it. It's a one drop that just gets naturally good as you cast your counterspells or removal or token generators or burn. You get to swing for only 1 mana too, whenever you see the opportunity. The mana sink ability is just gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Wondering if you could just stick this in UW control shell. Cheap to sneak into play, cheap to activate for shots while keeping mana up for protection.

• Locked thread