Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

He's exactly as big a wanker as he looks.

Yep.

No wonder he could afford to shout everyone bottles of Moet!

Funnily enough, Obiter (for the uneducated, it's the UQLS' satirical publication, mostly full of poo poo, George Brandis was once an editor) was censored to prevent them even alluding to the UQLS having money troubles last year.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I have lawn but I never Moet

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Any other politicians in Brisbane you feel like visiting?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Shadeoses posted:

Any other politicians in Brisbane you feel like visiting?

I'd need a heads up like this one.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
How about Dr Bill Glasson

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I don't think that's a good idea.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

"Hey Bill, I outed your QUT lecturer mate as a political hack, wanna come to dinner?"

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

I think it's an awesome idea. We can ask him what he thinks about political voting campaigns.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"You ruined my liiiife!"
*tears off shirt and spear tackles me to the ground*

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Popes been off his game for a week or so, maybe it's true that Abbott is beyond parody.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I swear he is copy pasting that loving Abbott face.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

It looks like he's experimenting with autofellatio.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Mithranderp posted:

No wonder he could afford to shout everyone bottles of Moet!

HA! I don't remember you being there that night. Then again, I did drink an awful lot of someone's Moet.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

I swear he is copy pasting that loving Abbott face.

Like an Anidav job application?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah, it's in that briefcase.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Smudgie Buggler posted:

HA! I don't remember you being there that night. Then again, I did drink an awful lot of someone's Moet.

Lol, not sure which night you're referring to--he basically bought bottles of Moet at every possible occasion.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Mithranderp posted:

"Hey Bill, I outed your QUT lecturer mate as a political hack, wanna come to dinner?"

What's the story behind this?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Mithranderp posted:

Lol, not sure which night you're referring to--he basically bought bottles of Moet at every possible occasion.

That figures. I was thinking specifically when he turned up to the 2013 Reform victory party uninvited with a case of it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Mithranderp posted:

It looks like he's experimenting with autofellatio.

Huffing farts imo.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Smudgie Buggler posted:

That figures. I was thinking specifically when he turned up to the 2013 Reform victory party uninvited with a case of it.

Aaaah. I can't remember if I went to that. I know I was at Red Room during the waiting-for-results period, and I THINK I went to a party at Josh's after that, but tbh it was waaaay too long ago for me to remember.

But yeah, he splashed out for Moet on several occasions. I heard at one point that there might be a criminal investigation into everything he did? But I don't think anything came of that.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Zenithe posted:

Huffing farts imo.

Perfect fart-huffing position.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ket posted:

What's the story behind this?

Anime David studied at a university that held a class that Bill Glasson used for free ideas on an election campaign. He went to the media (crikey I think) about this, there was a story about it and it hurt Glassons election, which he then lost. Auspol nearly had a collective orgasm. It was tops.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Nice timing on this: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2015/03/court-overturns-dutch-data-retention-law-privacy-more-important/

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Frogmanv2 posted:

Anime David studied at a university that held a class that Bill Glasson used for free ideas on an election campaign. He went to the media (crikey I think) about this, there was a story about it and it hurt Glassons election, which he then lost. Auspol nearly had a collective orgasm. It was tops.

And right as it was happening Raptorfag was on a pony spree in the thread, meaning anybody searching for it got a load of cartoon horse dick.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And right as it was happening Raptorfag was on a pony spree in the thread, meaning anybody searching for it got a load of cartoon horse dick.

The perfect storm.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maybe that's why auspol had the collective orgasm, I get confused on the details.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Brick with Eyes is leaving Palmer

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
and then there was 1.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

dr_rat posted:

and then there was 1.

I don't think Jeff can hold his seat after that little whole 'being on fire' incident.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

tithin posted:

Ewe2,thank you for the updates.

What do you think the end result will be?

From pages back, but there's no court today.

Honestly, I think it might come down to the summing-up. The defence seems to be riding on the letter of the law, that they meant that access to Hockey was being sold, not Hockey himself. The prosecution has attacked this defence but curiously has taken the defamation as read: they haven't pressed the standard attack that a reasonable person would take a particular inference and cited evidence. Instead they've taken a conspiracy theory approach and claimed the article was motivated by spite and spent a lot of time trying to prove a top-down direction to "get" Hockey.

Hockey's brief could tie all this up in an appropriate package for the judge of course, but I'm also expecting the defence to use their very attack as reason to drop the case. For me, there was too much irrelevant argument about who might have texted what to who and a view of Fairfax that appears to assume much that one might expect from a News Corp editor, which may not have bearing on the case, but is a really telling light on their attitude. And dragging ICAC into it also seems opportunistic and a bit dumb.

The defence case has highlighted that they took reasonable steps to engage with Hockey in not just the cited article but the previous one also (which the prosecution took so much time on), that they took legal advice on it is also important. In fact the cross-examination by Hockey's brief brought up much material that was more useful to the defence it seems to me. I don't think the prosecution established the motive they wanted successfully, but defamation hinges on what the defence can prove, so it comes down more to whether their answers were sufficient.

So for me the actual charge of imputing corruption to Hockey is not proven, but I can't say he won't get away with having his "pain" acknowledged. It's going to come down on the best light each brief can put on their evidence. I would give it to the defence but unfortunately defamation law tends to give the free prize to the plaintiff too often.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Don't get me wrong here, I'm happy to laugh at a joke, but when your joke is the same tired poo poo that has been a meme on this site for nearly a decade, it's probably time to stop thinking it's comedy genius.

Sorry for upsetting your enjoyment of Auspol by posting "the same poo poo we always hear" you tiresome idiot

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Sarkeesian at the opera house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhgEuY64ECw

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Birb Katter posted:

Sarkeesian at the opera house

So they'll let her speak at the Opera House but Julien Blanc gets run out of the country.
Nice misandry Australia.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lmao

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
that's all very interesting but i think you'll find a more pressing matter is

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

quote:

Internet service provider TPG is planning to buy its rival iiNet for $1.4 billion.

In an announcement to the stock exchange, TPG said it will pay $8.60 a share and iiNet shareholders will also be entitled to the company's latest 10.5 cent dividend.

Under the deal, iiNet may also pay a special dividend, subject to a favourable ruling by the Tax Office, however the cash purchase payment of $8.60 a share would be reduced by the amount of any such dividend.

The takeover target's board has unanimously recommended the deal, which is a significant premium on the $6.81 closing price yesterday.

The share price of iiNet has run up 6.4 per cent over the past three days after a 3.2 per cent slide on Monday, and are up from a recent low of $6.17 on February 24.

However, iiNet's shares had slumped considerably, from a high of $8.40 in August, to reach that low.

TPG already owned 6.25 per cent of iiNet.

The deal will merge two of Australia's largest internet service providers, with over 1.7 million subscribers combined, and will need approval from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to go ahead.

"The ACCC will commence a public review after receiving a submission from the parties," the regulator said in a statement.

"The ACCC reviews mergers and acquisitions which have the potential to raise concerns under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (CCA).

"The CCA prohibits acquisitions that would have the effect, or be likely to have the effect, of substantially lessening competition in a market."

Worst ISP to buy best ISP.

What could possibly go wrong?!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

garish
ˈɡɛːrɪʃ/
adjective
obtrusively bright and showy; lurid.

A lifeboat thats supposed to be seen by rescuers... garish. What an interesting choice of words.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

If they really have to be sent back (they dont) just put them on a loving plane. Jetstar flights from Darwin to Indonesia are as cheap as $150 per person. I'm sure the government can find some bribe money foreign aid to make this palatable.
But then the boats wont have been stopped, only the refugees.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

People always say TPG is crap, and in the 6 years I've been with them I can't say I've ever experienced that. I've always been able to pull down about what I should according to sync speed.

Also, when I used to work for another provider with third party equipment and we visited our equipment in exchanges for port testing, Internode's cabling was probably the worst I've seen there. That might have changed since then, but it didn't really inspire confidence.

EDIT: It's also funny considering a few years ago everyone was speculating iiNet would buy out TPG. TPG has a lot more assets than people think, i.e PIPE.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Anidav posted:

And iiNet owns Internode too, right? Seems like bad news for competition.

Looking around for NBN plans at the moment, and it's difficult to choose.

• Locked thread