Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I ride a fz6, not sure I have any of those things. Should have said that, that's why I'm looking more redneck options Maybe the subframe...

I was thinking less attachment to the bike, and more like a frame that I could lay down over the back seat and hanging over the side, before putting the soft bags over top of them. With the rest of my straps and mounts I don't really need the sides to bolt up to anything, and if I did it's be a trivial compromise.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Googling "fz6 pannier frame" it looks like a couple different premade bolt ons are available specifically for the fz6. The one by Givi looks like it connects to a strap around the exhaust and to bolts behind the pillion footpegs.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
My dirtbike frame has two quarter-sized rust spots where I slid the bottom of the frame across some rocks after breaking the plastic skid plate off and my new skid plate (enduro engineering!) came in the mail today. So I need to sand off the surface rust and I know I need to take some paint off extending a little out from the spots. What I don't know is if there is some special paint for it. I have self etching primer and I have some touch up paint for my car or I have various spray paints including engine enamels but what kind is the right kind?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Dirt bike frame? Rustoleum.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shimrod posted:

zzz, oh well. I was hoping it might (more then likely) just be something that I could unscrew the top cap off and fix without having to take the forks off. Thanks.

I've made a similar mistake. You need to take the fork legs off, have a preload sleeve compressing tool, and a piece of metal to trap the rebound rod jam nut. You need to loosen the jam nut, take the fork cap off, screw the rebound adjuster flush with the preload adjuster, back the rebound adjuster out the amount of clicks / distance of rebound adjustment, spin the cap until it bottoms lightly, lock the jam nut, and close it up.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Got a call just before - all fixed. There was a locking nut that hadn't been done up correctly, they fixed it no charge. Woo.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Slavvy posted:

*: battery acid for experienced users only

Acids come in three strengths when splashed on the hand

Mild "Is this acid or water"
Medium "Oooh that tingles"
Strong "AHHHHHH"

Battery acid is between the first and second.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

nsaP posted:

I ride a fz6, not sure I have any of those things. Should have said that, that's why I'm looking more redneck options Maybe the subframe...

I was thinking less attachment to the bike, and more like a frame that I could lay down over the back seat and hanging over the side, before putting the soft bags over top of them. With the rest of my straps and mounts I don't really need the sides to bolt up to anything, and if I did it's be a trivial compromise.

Could try PVC pipe if there's a place to mount it to.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Strong "AHHHHHH"

Yeah I never understood how throwing battery acid on someone could really hurt them. Maybe in their eyes I guess. But I've spilled it on myself a few times, didn't even notice for about 20 minutes one of those times. And then it was just a bit itchy and I washed it off and no harm done.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The news stories say "battery acid," but what they mean is "concentrated sulfuric acid." "Battery acid" is much easier to pitch and has that journalism "zing" to it, versus a chemical name that the lowest common denominator won't understand (note I said "lowest")

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Strong "AHHHHHH"

Yeah, the real good stuff is the kind that eats chemically resistant gloves and reacts violently with water.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're the same poo poo though. It's just the stuff in a battery is very watered down, hence what's in the battery is 'electrolyte' and not pure acid.

Actual acid which isn't diluted is so toxic the fumes tend to do you an injury before you get the chance to splash it anywhere.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, speaking of which, what if I overfilled my battery?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

They're the same poo poo though. It's just the stuff in a battery is very watered down, hence what's in the battery is 'electrolyte' and not pure acid.

Actual acid which isn't diluted is so toxic the fumes tend to do you an injury before you get the chance to splash it anywhere.

Fun fact, the reason onions make you cry is because sulfur compounds in the onions react with the moisture in your eyes to form small amounts of sulfuric acid, which of course makes your eyes water more to dilute the acid.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Wow that's pretty cool to know. And here I thought that I cried cause they reminded me of when Nana beat me with a sack of onions for not putting the scissors back in their place.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ante posted:

Yeah, speaking of which, what if I overfilled my battery?

You'd dilute the acid and probably shorten it's lifespan significantly; I'm not enough of a battery nerd to tell you more.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Fun fact, the reason onions make you cry is because sulfur compounds in the onions react with the moisture in your eyes to form small amounts of sulfuric acid, which of course makes your eyes water more to dilute the acid.

Interesting!

nsaP posted:

Wow that's pretty cool to know. And here I thought that I cried cause they reminded me of when Nana beat me with a sack of onions for not putting the scissors back in their place.

Nah, that's why you have girl hair.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Not girl hair compared to the "girly"s you date...don't hate my beautiful brunette locks

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Not girl hair compared to the "girly"s you date...don't hate my beautiful brunette locks

:captainpop:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Slavvy posted:

Never got to handle the really nasty stuff but the stuff for batterys is around 5 Molar in strength so only an issue if you get it into your eyes, its when it gets over 15 Molar that it starts to fume and become really nasty.

Plenty of really nasty stuff. I like the acid that is powerful enough to disolve concrete.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If you really want nasty acids, take a gander at the various Nitric Acid compounds like WFNA and RFNA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_fuming_nitric_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_fuming_nitric_acid

Worth noting that adding Hydrofluoric acid to RFNA inhibits it from eating through things quite as fast. And also that if you add it to water it basically starts heating to an explosive boil immediately. And that WFNA will basically spontaneously ignite (and cause it to burn much hotter, since it's an oxidizer) many common fuels including gasoline on contact.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you really want nasty acids, take a gander at the various Nitric Acid compounds like WFNA and RFNA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_fuming_nitric_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_fuming_nitric_acid

Worth noting that adding Hydrofluoric acid to RFNA inhibits it from eating through things quite as fast. And also that if you add it to water it basically starts heating to an explosive boil immediately. And that WFNA will basically spontaneously ignite (and cause it to burn much hotter, since it's an oxidizer) many common fuels including gasoline on contact.

Jesus christ. Thankfully the worst thing I deal with is 85% phosphoric acid.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm pulling my old spark plug because it isn't firing and it is totally loving rusted. Should I do any cleaning before putting the new one in?

Edit
Went for it. If I did something stupid blame Flikken.

Edit 2

Alrighty! My DRZ is not starting. I took it out in the rain a week or two again and had some similar trouble when I tried to start it the next day. At the time it appeared to be a battery problem and after drying in the sun for a bit (and tons of trouble starting due to a flooded carb) it started up again. The past week or two everything was running just fine. This morning I tried firing it up and nothing. Pushed it around for a bit to get some juice in the battery, but that didn't appear to be the trouble.

When I try to start it everything sounds fine, like it is turning over, but it never actually fires. I replaced my spark plug because I assumed a lack of combustion was the issue, but the new plug hasn't fixed it. I don't quite know where to go from here. Does anyone have any ideas?

I can post a picture of the old spark plug if that makes a difference to anyone.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 12, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Post a pic of your old plug.

Pull the ignition lead/coil off the plug, put a spare plug in the end of it (or just use your one if you can be bothered taking it out again) and lay it against the frame. Crank the bike over and see if there's spark.

Check your fuel tap, if any.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Post a pic of your old plug.

Pull the ignition lead/coil off the plug, put a spare plug in the end of it (or just use your one if you can be bothered taking it out again) and lay it against the frame. Crank the bike over and see if there's spark.

Check your fuel tap, if any.

Check my fuel tap for what? Gas? If so, it was full. I had to take the tank off to get to the spark plug, so I got plenty of gasoline on me during that.

Phone picture, so the quality isn't great. Let me know if you need more. I put this plug in about 8 months ago when I replaced the engine on the bike. The bike is kept in a garage, but it has been out in several rain storms while parked or being ridden. Never overnight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is a tremendous amount of rust for a plug that isn't off an SV front cylinder and implies a whole lotta water got in there at some stage. This can and does kill cdi's and/or coils. Do the spark testing trick and see if you still have spark.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

That is a tremendous amount of rust for a plug that isn't off an SV front cylinder and implies a whole lotta water got in there at some stage. This can and does kill cdi's and/or coils. Do the spark testing trick and see if you still have spark.

I tried it with the old busted spark plug and I actually got a spark. I assume the new one is sparking inside the engine still.

The rust seemed pretty extreme to me too. I thought the bike was supposed to be ok in the rain, but I guess not. Maybe the aftermarket gas tank is letting water in where it wouldn't normally get to?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

I tried it with the old busted spark plug and I actually got a spark. I assume the new one is sparking inside the engine still.

The rust seemed pretty extreme to me too. I thought the bike was supposed to be ok in the rain, but I guess not. Maybe the aftermarket gas tank is letting water in where it wouldn't normally get to?

You probably don't have the sparkplug boot in right.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

You probably don't have the sparkplug boot in right.

It is possible. I'll give it another shot in the morning. Are there any other things I should consider? I'd like to have a couple possible fixes lined up to try tomorrow morning if this doesn't work. I don't have a car anymore and my fiance's is in the shop,so this is my only vehicle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You have fuel and you have spark. Check compression.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

You have fuel and you have spark. Check compression.

Any tips on what I'm looking for? I'm still new to diagnosing engines.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Chichevache posted:

Any tips on what I'm looking for? I'm still new to diagnosing engines.

Head to your local auto parts store and see if they can rent you a compression tester, it's a gauge on the end of a tube that mounts where your spark plug goes. When you turn the engine over, the gauge reads the maximum pressure built in the cylinder. This lets you know if there is blow-by on the piston rings from either damaged rings and/or cylinder walls. That sort of damage could prevent your bike from starting and running well.

To be honest, though, I'm not convinced this isn't a problem with fuel or poor spark delivery. While you're at the auto parts store, grab a can of starting ether, give a short squirt into the air box and try to start the engine. If it fires temporarily and dies, you have a carb issue. I'd do that before going to compression testing.

Edit: yeah I'm honestly betting on carb/contaminated fuel. Go try some starting ether first.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 12, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh right. No compression tester then don't get fussed about buying it. Just squirt something flammable in the intake and kick it in the guts like the man says.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've never done a compression test, but seen it suggested a number of times and always thought, because you're replacing a spark plug with a measurement device, "how do you do a compression test on a thumper?"

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Edit won't the starter turn it over enough to let you know? Am I being dumb here?

Slavvy posted:

Oh right. No compression tester then don't get fussed about buying it. Just squirt something flammable in the intake and kick it in the guts like the man says.

Definitely get starter fluid though because I tried wd40 on the advice of somebody dumb and it did nothing but starter fluid worked perfectly. Started fluid is also like $3 so not too expensive.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Be careful with starting fluid too. I actually nuked a engine when I was a teenager using that poo poo. a little goes a long way.

propane torches are what I generally use. huff it some gas and it usually will start.

Chichevache You're in SoCal right?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

Be careful with starting fluid too. I actually nuked a engine when I was a teenager using that poo poo. a little goes a long way.

propane torches are what I generally use. huff it some gas and it usually will start.

Yeah, the can I have is pretty clear on "DON'T SPRAY FOR MORE THAN THREE SECONDS OR YOUR ENGINE WILL EXPLODE YOU IDIOT." Apparently for good reason.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

builds character posted:

Edit won't the starter turn it over enough to let you know?

Yes it will.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah, Socal. Living in the Pomona area at the moment.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to gently caress around and see if I can get it started again loving with the spark plug etc again. If not, I'll pick up some starter fluid this afternoon and check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Update! Tried again this morning. Bike seemed to fire for a minute before the battery gave out completely. I couldn't bumpstart it and pushing it all over the place didn't get me any charge at all, so I'm going to Walmart for the cheapest battery tender possible and hopefully they have starter fluid too.