Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I have a 2013 Macbook Pro running the latest version of OS X, (10.10.2) as of this post. I am trying to use the TP-Link 300Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter, Model TL-WN822N on the Macbook (http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN822N-Wireless-External-Antennas/dp/B00416Q5KI. I have the most up to date driver (to my knowledge) that I found through Apple Support (found here: http://uncomplicatedreviews.com/2013/07/16/bolse-micro-usb-wi-fi-adapter/). I installed it no problem.

Now, the Wireless Network Utility shows up fine with no problems, but the only available network that shows up is the same that my regular wireless card finds, i.e. one crappy protected network. There are hotspots not too far from here at all. Comcast, McDonald's, Starbucks, etc. but none show up.

When I go into Network preferences it says that the cable is unplugged. That's obviously not the case and I've tried unplugging and plugging it back in several times and restarting, shutting down, etc. and no dice.

Is there something I'm missing here? Please help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Wait why are you using USB WiFi with your MBP? Is your onboard one broken? I may be wrong, I don't have a Mac here at work to test, but "cable is unplugged" for a wireless adapter might just mean you're not connected to a network, which it sounds like you're not.

The only reason I can think of to use USB WiFi in a MBP is your onboard isn't fast enough or your onboard is broken. Are any of those things true or you're just hoping to extend range?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Pivo posted:

Wait why are you using USB WiFi with your MBP? Is your onboard one broken? I may be wrong, I don't have a Mac here at work to test, but "cable is unplugged" for a wireless adapter might just mean you're not connected to a network, which it sounds like you're not.

The only reason I can think of to use USB WiFi in a MBP is your onboard isn't fast enough or your onboard is broken. Are any of those things true or you're just hoping to extend range?

He's specifically trying to connect to a few other public hotspots. I'd gather that he's just too far away from them. Building walls tend to really attenuate wifi, especially exterior walls that are block. Go to the McDonalds and see if you get the network.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yes, the USB adapter is to extend the range. I'm at work right now, otherwise I would go out to test the adapter. It's just strange that it says it's not connected.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

Yes, the USB adapter is to extend the range.

In my experience doing.. uh.. completely legal and not at all nefarious investigations as to what my neighbour's WiFi passwords might be ... the internal AirPort gets the same or better signal than external adapters. Check it out for yourself though, run a sniffer / wardriving type of application with both adapters. Which sees consistently better signal?

To really extend range, maybe just extend the range of your AP by physically moving it closer or getting another AP to extend your network. Unless you live above a McDicks and just want to use their WiFi? That would be amusing. I'd try to break into that 'crappy protected network' you see first, you know, if paying for Internet isn't an option.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
No, the USB adapter definitely picks up more networks than the Macbook's internal airport. It's a little set of antennae.

I'm not trying to steal internet. I pay for high speed cable from Comcast. They have free to use hotspots all over the country for paying customers. I'm trying to grab one of those. The protected internet I have access to is from a high school (where I work) so most sites are blocked (such as SA).

Anyway, the issue seems to be that I'm just in a particularly lovely location today because when I walked with my Macbook closer to an exit, the Xfinity hotspot showed up with about ~75% signal strength. :sigh: Oh well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Reinanigans posted:

No, the USB adapter definitely picks up more networks than the Macbook's internal airport. It's a little set of antennae.

I'm not trying to steal internet. I pay for high speed cable from Comcast. They have free to use hotspots all over the country for paying customers. I'm trying to grab one of those. The protected internet I have access to is from a high school (where I work) so most sites are blocked (such as SA).

Anyway, the issue seems to be that I'm just in a particularly lovely location today because when I walked with my Macbook closer to an exit, the Xfinity hotspot showed up with about ~75% signal strength. :sigh: Oh well.

Get a USB extension cable, so you can have the adapter closer and at a different angle. Also you can build a cantenna if you really want to be crazy.

The WiFi adapter shows disconnected when not connected to a network.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Get a USB extension cable, so you can have the adapter closer and at a different angle. Also you can build a cantenna if you really want to be crazy.

The WiFi adapter shows disconnected when not connected to a network.

Cantenna you say? :frogon:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Reinanigans posted:

Cantenna you say? :frogon:

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Bought a New MacBook Pro yesterday. Figured I'd write a little bit about the force touchpad and the options that it currently has in the system settings.

1. When the machine is powered down the touchpad is completely static with no clickability at all. I believe the mechanism is that the taptic electromagnet pushes the touchpad up when powered on and the actual force you use when you click something is you pressing against electromagnetism.
2. The touchpad has two "clicks", the first click (user adjustable) is what you use to select stuff, the second click (force touch) has much more forceful feedback and is significantly different and more powerful than the first click.
3. The adjustable first click has three settings, light/medium/hard. I prefer hard because I like feedback but it was interesting to adjust the feel of the click. At the light setting it didn't even feel like I was pressing it the feedback was so minimal.

I really like that I can click anywhere on the touchpad and get the same feedback from the machine, doing a comparison in the store between the two types of touchpad was noticeable but I wouldn't consider it a deal-breaker.

My only concern is that the old version of the touchpad had very little in the way of breakable parts, the thing hinged on a springboard. The force touchpad needs the electromagnet to function at all and who knows how reliable it will be after years of use.

Other than the touchpad it is the exact same machine as my brother's MacBook Pro from a form factor perspective, of course it has a more powerful processor in it but you're not going to notice that on a day-to-day basis. I look forward to using it for 4-5 years like I did with my 2nd gen Air.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 12, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rabble posted:

1. When the machine is powered down the touchpad is completely static with no clickability at all. I believe the mechanism is that the taptic electromagnet pushes the touchpad up when powered on
The touchpad doesn't move at all. It's just a solid piece of glass. The whole "click" sensation is just your brain pulling tricks on you.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The touchpad doesn't move at all. It's just a solid piece of glass. The whole "click" sensation is just your brain pulling tricks on you.

Holy crap that is some master magician level trickery. It really feels like you're pressing down on something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rabble posted:

Other than the touchpad it is the exact same machine as my brother's MacBook Pro from a form factor perspective, of course it has a more powerful processor in it but you're not going to notice that on a day-to-day basis. I look forward to using it for 4-5 years like I did with my 2nd gen Air.

Actually depending on how old your brother's is, it might not.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rabble posted:

Holy crap that is some master magician level trickery. It really feels like you're pressing down on something.

How many generations until the Taptic Engine comes to iOS? I give it a year.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Rabble posted:

Pro goodness...

How do you like the weight and size of the machine coming from the that second gen Air? Considering a similar move. Thanks

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Secht posted:

How do you like the weight and size of the machine coming from the that second gen Air? Considering a similar move. Thanks

I personally haven't noticed the extra weight yet but I spent most of my time with it so far either on a table or laying in bed. Not sure how comfortable it would be to "walk and work" carry it in one hand and type with the other like I could do with the 11" Air. It's thicker and bigger but not by much. When I was carrying it around under my arm I didn't really mind the extra size or weight. It's going to be personal preference whether or not you value ultrathin over horsepower and a retina display. The 13" pro is only about a pound heavier than the 11" air so its not like you would be going from something thin and light to an eleven pound 17incher.

I'd say it's still very portable and the build quality is what you would expect from this generation of Apple products.

As long as you are aware of what you're buying and how you are planning on using it then I see no reason to get an Air at all. The new MacBook is now the ultralight option and the Pro isn't such a pig that you couldn't throw it in a backpack on your way out the door.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Apple.com posted:

With the Force Touch trackpad, force sensors detect your click anywhere on the surface and move the trackpad laterally toward you, although the feel is the same familiar downward motion you’re accustomed to in a trackpad.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

smackfu posted:

It does kind of seem like the same components as an iPad rearranged a bit and with an Intel chip instead of an Apple one.

It really doesn't.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I was going to say, it may be a 1% use case, but at 100 million laptops a year, that's still a very large number of users. I only go to maybe 2 live local music events a month, but all of them have an apple laptop attached to some fancy $$ music interface.

Yup. Being able to unplug the 64-channel rack from your board and iMac or TrashPro at the studio, bring it to a live or remote recording situation along with a Macbook Pro and connect to the exact same hardware is game-changing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My SSD came just now. :D Using Carbon Copy to transfer everything over now and then i'll install it in my MBP.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

e: I'm hoping there'll be a point where my MacBook will know I'm wearing my Apple Watch and let me bypass the passcode lock. Apple Touch ID will probably never get implemented into a MacBook, and really it shouldn't need it when you'll have your phone and watch on you anyway.
This already works with iPhones, so I have no doubt a watch version will be quickly released.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 12, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This already works with iPhones, so I have no doubt a watch version will be quickly released.

Huh? Is there a native way of doing this or are you talking about with apps

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Huh? Is there a native way of doing this or are you talking about with apps
See the edit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope an Android version is eventually made. For Knock it sounds like it's possible, but the devs don't want to spend the time on it right now because not enough Android phones support the type of blue tooth they want to use.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

New iMac inbound? It's Board ID was found in 10.10.3 beta. Shares the same video ConfigMap with the 27" iMac 5k, revealing that it is (at the very least) shares the same panel with Retina Mac, if not a straight-up revision of it.

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/03/04/new-board-id-of-mac-with-retina-5k-display-found/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

enMTW posted:

New iMac inbound? It's Board ID was found in 10.10.3 beta. Shares the same video ConfigMap with the 27" iMac 5k, revealing that it is (at the very least) shares the same panel with Retina Mac, if not a straight-up revision of it.

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/03/04/new-board-id-of-mac-with-retina-5k-display-found/

We are due for a new non-retina imac update, and it's possible Apple will phase out non-retina imac models too.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I said come in! posted:

We are due for a new non-retina imac update, and it's possible Apple will phase out non-retina imac models too.

True, true, but an important note: as the EDID and ConfigMap are the same as the 27" Retina, whatever machine this is has the exact same panel as the existing 27" iMac with Retina Display.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

enMTW posted:

True, true, but an important note: as the EDID and ConfigMap are the same as the 27" Retina, whatever machine this is has the exact same panel as the existing 27" iMac with Retina Display.

That's true, that didn't connect with me the first time even though that is what the linked site said.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

enMTW posted:

Maybe Apple gets Thunderbolt 3 early somehow and this is the update for Target Display Mode?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

If we're lucky, Apple will step up the iMac from a mobile 7970 (on the high end) to the 970m or 980m.

Just a GPU upgrade alone would be nice...

enMTW fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 13, 2015

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm pretty sure I saw Knock on Product Hunt within the past week or two and was intrigued. You reminding me prompted me to shell out the 4 bucks for it. Works well enough although sometimes before the Mac and Phone recognize each other I could have already typed my password 12 times. Sometimes it pairs up instantly. Neat trick for a few bucks but not nearly as good as an official Apple implemented setup could be.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

enMTW posted:

If we're lucky, Apple will step up the iMac from a mobile 7970 (on the high end) to the 970m or 980m.

Just a GPU upgrade alone would be nice...

I feel like it'd be really weird if Apple refreshed a computer that just came out.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

1st AD posted:

I feel like it'd be really weird if Apple refreshed a computer that just came out.

Wasn't there one iPad that came out like six months after the previous?

EDIT: If this is the Thunderbolt 3 update like I hope/suspect, I'd expect it to show up at WWDC.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Wasn't there one iPad that came out like six months after the previous?

EDIT: If this is the Thunderbolt 3 update like I hope/suspect, I'd expect it to show up at WWDC.

The iPad 4 came out 6 months after the iPad 3 w/ Retina, giving a much needed GPU bump and removing the 30-pin cable

Us poor iPad 3 owners :smith:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Us poor iPad 3 owners :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

My iPad 3 is feeling its age.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guys, have you heard of these things called SSDs? Holy crap the performance increase is nuts.

But no for real, my MBP was a pain in the rear end to use until I installed this Samsung drive. SSDs are amazing.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

1st AD posted:

True. The thing is, though, that when new models appear in beta OSes....they come out briefly afterwards. Historically speaking, of course. It's happened a bunch of times.

This could be an upcoming silent refresh, for all we know.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Guys, have you heard of these things called SSDs? Holy crap the performance increase is nuts.

But no for real, my MBP was a pain in the rear end to use until I installed this Samsung drive. SSDs are amazing.

I didn't believe people when they said how much my life would improve, but I was wrong.

There is nothing like restarting twice because you aren't sure you did it the first time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Checked out the new 13-inch rMBPs at the local store.

Force Touch is a pretty neat trick, it even works inside System Info, anything you can select can be looked up. In Safari, force clicking a link on a web page opens up a mini preview of what's behind that link.

Still and all, even with the supposedly even faster PCIe SSD and Iris 6100, it's not enough to get me to sell my Late 2013 rMBP..

BTW, iFixit posted their takeapart for the Early 2015 rMBP.

If the trackpad ever gets damaged, even with the Early 2015, as a tech you must order a replacement top case and keyboard. Ditto with the built-in mic, battery, keyboard, these parts are part of the top case/keyboard assembly and cannot be ordered separate so I dunno why the iFixit dudes are so obsessed with separating the battery out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

For those of you who have tried the new trackpad - has a force touch replaced a two-finger click?