Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

cursedshitbox posted:

you buy a ktm to perform maintenance.

This is a lesson you just have to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I haven't met a guy with a drz that wasn't a weenie.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ChewedFood posted:

I haven't met a guy with a drz that wasn't a weenie.

Define "weenie".

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I was thinking about getting a KTM EXC for dual sporting/adv touring stuff but then I downloaded the manual and read the maintenance intervals.

Seriously? at 135 hours non-racing use, replace the piston, valves, valve springs, valve seats, conrod and all engine bearings?

Fly and ride my Duke 690 for slightly more cash! The service intervals are in line with some of the Japanese bikes :)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Define "weenie".

Someone who rides a DRZ.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Someone who rides a DRZ.

This is the definition of "butthurt" not "weenie."

cryosis
Mar 26, 2007

Spiffness posted:

I guess.

If your buying a DRZ, I'd say buy a rattier one for cheaper. If you are able to drop $5k, you are very close to just working harder / being more patient and getting a much better 690 based KTM in the $6500-7k range.

So, I'd go rattier or save up longer.

builds character posted:

Seems like you're paying for bike + mods. Seems kind of expensive for what you're getting so I'd probably hold off but I don't know your market. MSRP is only 6100 new.

Yeah, I'm not all that interested in dropping 5k, but I just started looking after drinking the SM kool-aid and don't really know the market. I had heard that the DRZ is the on the friendly side for maintenance/sanity and KTM is on the other.

Slim Pickens posted:

OR spend 3k on a '03 WR450f, 1k on a sumo setup and about $600 on a street legal kit. :getin:

Ooh, those look nice. And I'd prefer being able to stretch those costs over some time. The conversion looks like something even I could muddle through. '03 specifically, or just something in the third gen?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SaNChEzZ posted:

Fly and ride my Duke 690 for slightly more cash! The service intervals are in line with some of the Japanese bikes :)

I'm still trying to justify your bike to myself. And my wife.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cryosis posted:

Yeah, I'm not all that interested in dropping 5k, but I just started looking after drinking the SM kool-aid and don't really know the market. I had heard that the DRZ is the on the friendly side for maintenance/sanity and KTM is on the other.

Ooh, those look nice. And I'd prefer being able to stretch those costs over some time. The conversion looks like something even I could muddle through. '03 specifically, or just something in the third gen?

I've just been casually looking at wr450s on cl and it seems like the 03s are always up for sale for 3k. Newer wrs come up every once in a while for a little more, but fuel injection didn't start till 2012 I think? Once I sell the second duc, that money's probably going toward a street legal wr.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm still trying to justify your bike to myself. And my wife.

Ha, I know how that goes, mine is still a girlfriend though, so it's a bit easier. After 7 years of being together I get the "THAT'S A RING" thing a lot, but then I just respond with how many motorcycles a ring equates to in reality.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

SaNChEzZ posted:

Ha, I know how that goes, mine is still a girlfriend though, so it's a bit easier. After 7 years of being together I get the "THAT'S A RING" thing a lot, but then I just respond with how many motorcycles a ring equates to in reality.

You could always tell her how many motorcycles a divorce costs instead.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SaNChEzZ posted:

7 years and still no ring? My condolences for the best years of her life.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

builds character posted:

7 years and still no ring? My condolences for the best years of her life.

Yeah, we'll be happily unmarried for 25 years as far as I'm concerned. Totally being selfish about this one, house and financial stability come before marriage.

Minkee posted:

That's the new poo poo right there.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

as far as I'm concerned.

at 7 years, your concerns aren't going to be valid for much longer lol

goonspeed sanchezz

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Minkee posted:

My parents divorce cost exactly one 1980s Honda Goldwing Aspencade in front of the bay window in the upstairs, formal living room all winter. :rimshot:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought at seven years you just become a domestic partnership anyways. Assuming you live together that is.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

I thought at seven years you just become a domestic partnership anyways. Assuming you live together that is.

You're thinking of common-law marriage and it varies greatly depending on locale whether those exist/are legal. The US is one of the few western countries that still allows them, and even then only nine states still allow them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Dude if she's responding with "that's a ring" you're gonna have to take care of that soon.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Angryboot posted:

Dude if she's responding with "that's a ring" you're gonna have to take care of that soon.

Time to trade her in!

Shiiit my spouse wants me to buy more bikes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Angryboot posted:

One way or the other this is the truth.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Bovril Delight posted:

One way or the other this is the truth.

The correct answer is to elope. On the back of a new bike.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm an idiot. nevermind.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 13, 2015

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

cryosis posted:

I had heard that the DRZ is the on the friendly side for maintenance/sanity and KTM is on the other.

The 690 KTMs are as or more reliable than the DRZ with fuel injection and much better [insert any component here]. Also more power and just generally great. I've been commuting on one every day for over 6 years.

The sumo-converted KTM motocross / enduro bikes are the ones that explode, but that's true of a lot of highly strung dirt bike conversions. They're not designed for every day use.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Ugh. Someone talk me out of trying to make this bike happen.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4930795757.html

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

builds character posted:

The correct answer is to elope. On the back of a new bike.

Eloping is the best. I eloped to Hawaii and got a $1k wedding complete with ukulele player.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Chichevache posted:

Ugh. Someone talk me out of trying to make this bike happen.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4930795757.html

It has poor fuel efficiency and won't be as fun to repair as, say, a Ducati? Maybe there's a chance a guy who likes Hitler thinks it's a cool bike?

There's not a lot to work with here, the TL1000 is cool.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Wtf is with that damper mount? Pretty sure that's not oem. Also "custom paint job" means bike went down at some point, I think that model still had the rotary damper and with no mention of if that was fixed or not, it's probably going to head shake like crazy.

That also seems like a lot for one of those, I wouldn't pay more than about 2200.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Wtf is with that damper mount? Pretty sure that's not oem. Also "custom paint job" means bike went down at some point, I think that model still had the rotary damper and with no mention of if that was fixed or not, it's probably going to head shake like crazy.

That also seems like a lot for one of those, I wouldn't pay more than about 2200.

Those are good points! I really loved the paint job because I'm a manchild who wants to upset his anti-smoking parents and I just think it looks cool. :shrug:

But after all my trouble with the DRZ lately I'd like my next bike to be more dependable. (I know, the drz is normally bulletproof. I just want something with a more reputable PO.)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
A TL1000 wouldn't be on my list of bikes to buy if my primary concern was reliability.

Buy an FZ1 and join the DRZ-->FZ1 crew. :getin:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

Those are good points! I really loved the paint job because I'm a manchild who wants to upset his anti-smoking parents and I just think it looks cool. :shrug:

But after all my trouble with the DRZ lately I'd like my next bike to be more dependable. (I know, the drz is normally bulletproof. I just want something with a more reputable PO.)

You've absorbed enough bad juju with your supposed-to-be-dependable bike you could probably get away with a trouble free Buell. Buy mine.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

You've absorbed enough bad juju with your supposed-to-be-dependable bike you could probably get away with a trouble free Buell. Buy mine.

:lol: I actually like the look of the Ulysses, but I'm not sure it is the right "next bike".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

I actually really like the paint job too, but it's always a warning sign when a bike is repainted. The TL mill is pretty reliable, AFAIK, it's more that the suspension setup is downright dangerous without proper maintenance - they pioneered their rotary damper on that bike and it just...didn't work very well. If you want a nice big, reliable, cheap Vtwin that's a little sporty, go find an SV1000.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

:lol: I actually like the look of the Ulysses, but I'm not sure it is the right "next bike".

Get a new aftermarket carb + exhaust for your DRZ and enjoy a new reliable bike. :colbert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

Get a new aftermarket carb + exhaust for your DRZ and enjoy a new reliable bike. :colbert:

Still needs to seat two and have a 0-100mph that's better than "TBD".

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Still needs to seat two and have a 0-100mph that's better than "TBD".

I hit 55 in third gear pretty easily with aftermarket carb and exhaust. It really does a ton for the bike. I mean, obviously the answer is something else but it does totally change the feel of the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Going 2 up on a DRZ is a good way to end a relationship.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

I hit 55 in third gear pretty easily with aftermarket carb and exhaust. It really does a ton for the bike. I mean, obviously the answer is something else but it does totally change the feel of the bike.

I love my DRZ very much. It has been a great beginner bike and I have learned a lot on it.

It is time to move on.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Buy an FZ1 and join the DRZ DS80-->FZ1 crew. :getin:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

I love my DRZ very much. It has been a great beginner bike and I have learned a lot on it.

It is time to move on.

ZRX bro. ZRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

iwentdoodie posted:

ZRX bro. ZRX.

Found one in Phoenix for 2200. :getin:

Depending on the DRZ I probably won't get a new bike till summer, when I have the time to do a fly and ride. I figure I get out there around 4 PM, buy the bike, and do a night ride home. :cool:

Edit

And my fiance wants to do it with me.