Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Light Gun Man posted:

And how could I forget, the best Zelda-ish game on the NES: Startropics!

Please everyone play StarTropics. It is a really good game and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
So I just got a free random NEC fullscreen LCD monitor. If it was widescreen I'd consider using it for a random HTPC application but this 4:3 fullscreen has video gaming written all over it. I'm just not sure what I will use it for yet. It's only got VGA and DVI inputs, so the first thing that comes to mind is using it with a Dreamcast...but my Dreamcast is already VGAed into my living room TV.

My question, are there any other consoles out that can output VGA and aren't obscenely expensive to do? I don't want to waste this monitor but I'm having trouble thinking of other options that wouldn't be financially stupid.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Speaking of Sega: 3D Outrun came out today and if you have a 3DS, tap to purchase now!! It's awesome!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Tyson Tomko posted:

So I just got a free random NEC fullscreen LCD monitor. If it was widescreen I'd consider using it for a random HTPC application but this 4:3 fullscreen has video gaming written all over it. I'm just not sure what I will use it for yet. It's only got VGA and DVI inputs, so the first thing that comes to mind is using it with a Dreamcast...but my Dreamcast is already VGAed into my living room TV.

My question, are there any other consoles out that can output VGA and aren't obscenely expensive to do? I don't want to waste this monitor but I'm having trouble thinking of other options that wouldn't be financially stupid.

Og xbox + emulators.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

RodShaft posted:

Og xbox + emulators.

Holy poo poo I had no idea the OG xbox could output VGA! This is so going to happen. Thank you!

A month or so ago I found some really cheap monitor/small tv mounts on monoprice so I'm sure I can come up with something really creative here. If I get my hands on another OG xbox I may even make it into a garage and/or guest room machine so I can play random emulators OR music/videos.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Tyson Tomko posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea the OG xbox could output VGA! This is so going to happen. Thank you!

A month or so ago I found some really cheap monitor/small tv mounts on monoprice so I'm sure I can come up with something really creative here. If I get my hands on another OG xbox I may even make it into a garage and/or guest room machine so I can play random emulators OR music/videos.

Along these lines, since hacking the Xbox is super old at this point, I can't find any good pages telling me how the heck to do it. Does anyone have any resources for that?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is the 360 retro yet? I'm pretty sure it came out like 10 years ago now.

I'd say it's at least very close. There are only 4 confirmed games for it pending release, and all of those will have next-gen versions (battlefield hardline, mortal kombat x, mgs5 phantom pain and rise of the tomb raider). The ps3 has more happening due to Japan and indies. I've been treating it as retro for a few years, if there's interest I can do a :spergin: megapost of sorts for it from a collector's standpoint.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Maybe you retro experts can help me out. I'm unloading quite a bit of retro gaming stuff and I was trying to get an idea of pricing. I checked the recent completed auctions on eBay. Is that a pretty good indicator? Some of the stuff seemed to fetch quite a high price (especially for SNES) and I wanted to make sure I wasn't misreading something. For example, the Gamecube component cable goes for over $200 now and Chronotrigger is $100 for just the cart.

Is there a recommended resource for setting a price? Is this even the right thread for this type of question?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Maybe you retro experts can help me out. I'm unloading quite a bit of retro gaming stuff and I was trying to get an idea of pricing. I checked the recent completed auctions on eBay. Is that a pretty good indicator? Some of the stuff seemed to fetch quite a high price (especially for SNES) and I wanted to make sure I wasn't misreading something. For example, the Gamecube component cable goes for over $200 now and Chronotrigger is $100 for just the cart.

Is there a recommended resource for setting a price? Is this even the right thread for this type of question?

Those are somewhat accurate prices. It's a terrible bubble.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Those are somewhat accurate prices. It's a terrible bubble.

So I should sell sell sell before it bursts?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

univbee posted:

I'd say it's at least very close. There are only 4 confirmed games for it pending release, and all of those will have next-gen versions (battlefield hardline, mortal kombat x, mgs5 phantom pain and rise of the tomb raider). The ps3 has more happening due to Japan and indies. I've been treating it as retro for a few years, if there's interest I can do a :spergin: megapost of sorts for it from a collector's standpoint.

Do it. There's enough interesting stuff on the 360 that has gone unnoticed. There's a bunch of good imports and even hidden gems exclusive to XBLA and surprisingly the terrible Indie store as well.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

So I should sell sell sell before it bursts?

Only if you can live with the regret. :smith:

If you don't care, yeah gently caress it, sell it all.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

univbee posted:

I've been treating it as retro for a few years, if there's interest I can do a :spergin: megapost of sorts for it from a collector's standpoint.

Yes please! That's why I was asking. I just picked up one recently and have started researching the exclusives.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm in the midst of doing this myself. Check out http://videogames.pricecharting.com/ if you haven't already.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

kynikos posted:

I'm in the midst of doing this myself. Check out http://videogames.pricecharting.com/ if you haven't already.

I tend to use rarityguide.com myself.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Welp, with the current pricing on 16bit/32bit games, I've decided it's time to start collecting for the Sega Master System. Pretty excited to grab one, mod it for s-video and FM audio and play the poo poo out of it.

E: Just got a Game Genie, Sword of Vermilion, and Advanced Daisenryaku World War to test some region mods on the Genesis.

This looks AMAZING.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 13, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
A challenger to Drakon appears!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDPd50h2jcs

Trigger warning: horrible mod job. Guy takes composite from the NES, shoves it through one of those cheap lovely eBay HDMI upscalers and sells it as a hdmi NES

mmmmmm dem pixels

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Composite to HDMI? Jesus.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

al-azad posted:

Do it. There's enough interesting stuff on the 360 that has gone unnoticed. There's a bunch of good imports and even hidden gems exclusive to XBLA and surprisingly the terrible Indie store as well.

The Indie store is really excellent. Every game has to have a demo so you can actually try it. And the user ratings work rather well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

That's actually normal, because we're in the pre-e3 radio silence stretch up to May/June now.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

flyboi posted:

A challenger to Drakon appears!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDPd50h2jcs

Trigger warning: horrible mod job. Guy takes composite from the NES, shoves it through one of those cheap lovely eBay HDMI upscalers and sells it as a hdmi NES

mmmmmm dem pixels

Ouch! I think I cut my eyeball on those jagged pixels :gibs:

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Kazvall posted:

Welp, with the current pricing on 16bit/32bit games, I've decided it's time to start collecting for the Sega Master System. Pretty excited to grab one, mod it for s-video and FM audio and play the poo poo out of it.

E: Just got a Game Genie, Sword of Vermilion, and Advanced Daisenryaku World War to test some region mods on the Genesis.

This looks AMAZING.

I didn't think you could make Churchill look more smug, but there you go.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Along these lines, since hacking the Xbox is super old at this point, I can't find any good pages telling me how the heck to do it. Does anyone have any resources for that?

Are you asking for info on modding an original Xbox or info on the VGA aspect of it? I've been a huge follower of the xbox modding scene since back in the day and would be happy to hook you up. The site http://www.xbox-scene.com/ is still around but (can be a pain to sort through it all) should have all the info you could ever want in the tutorials/forums. Anyway before I/we go on rambling just want to make sure this is what you were asking about.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Tyson Tomko posted:

I vaguely remember something about certain ones not able to output vga, but that may be a decade old hooey memory.

Wamdoodle posted:

Ouch! I think I cut my eyeball on those jagged pixels :gibs:
That's how composite looks on my hdtv. It hurts my heart to play NES on it.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
After some searching around I'm not sure if the OG xbox over VGA will happen or not. If the cables are out there they're not easy to find and probably not cheap. It does component well enough so maybe I'll use that 4:3 monitor with a laptop or computer something instead. Something to think about regardless and I'll keep on looking at what I can find.

I'm sooooo glad I've been too lazy to grab my credit card and put cash on my 3ds eshop account. I've been meaning to buy the Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies game for a while but have been putting it off. It FINALLY went on sale for 40% off so I pounced on that poo poo. It's the first "new" game I've bought in quite a while. Loving it!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
If we're still recommending Zelda-likes, Crusader of Centy for Genesis. Good luck finding a cheap copy.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

iastudent posted:

On the top is Sky Shark, and the bottom is Twin Cobra. Some of my favorite all-time shmups and I'm beyond happy to own the boards of them now.

Hell yes, I love Toaplan. Their latter games are especially goregeous. Hopefully they're not too expensive to acquire.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

RodShaft posted:

I vaguely remember something about certain ones not able to output vga, but that may be a decade old hooey memory.

That's how composite looks on my hdtv. It hurts my heart to play NES on it.

OG XBox does not have vga out

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm

...but it does! (with a patched bios)
Details here http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?/topic/603901-frostythesnowmans-vga-biosevox-m8plus-patcher-v08-bugfix/

flyboi fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 13, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cloks posted:

If we're still recommending Zelda-likes, Crusader of Centy for Genesis. Good luck finding a cheap copy.

I'd like to think that Sega bought out Atlus for the sole purpose of re-releasing Centy.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Hell yes, I love Toaplan. Their latter games are especially goregeous. Hopefully they're not too expensive to acquire.

I got those from various arcade forums which tend to price things more fairly than eBay, but even on there those particular boards aren't too much more.

Sadly, much of Toaplan's other games are overpriced nowadays.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cloks posted:

You missed the boat on that buddy, one of the first games I recommended. :clint:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Was watching Game Sack today during a break at work and found a Sunsoft game for some reason that flew completely under my radar and I'm sure the rest of the thread will be like "duh, idiot."

Hebereke / Ufouria: The Saga

I guess this game never came out in the states and according to Game Sack the PAL release is expensive as poo poo. Good thing I have an Everdrive! Checkmate, retro bubble :shepface:

Anyways it plays like baby's first metroidvania with quite a large map

You start as a dude who can't do much of anything but stomp on bad guys but as you progress through the game you remind your friends through suggestive means that they should be helping you which unlocks other abilities such as swimming/high jump and can switch freely between characters like Little Samson. On top of this there are items all over the place which can be collected and all that fun stuff.

And the art is really good

If you're as stupid as me and never played it I highly suggest giving it a whirl as it's pretty fun.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Just ordered a Sega Master System with a copy of Shinobi. Any other games you guys would recommend? I've never owned or played a Master System before so I'm not sure exactly what to get right off the bat.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ufouria's on the Virtual Console but be warned: the VC version is the PAL version running at 60HZ, but because Sunsoft used unusual techniques to create their signature bass sound, and because they actually retimed the music for the PAL release, the music is all hosed up when played at 60HZ.

All Frogs posted:

Just ordered a Sega Master System with a copy of Shinobi. Any other games you guys would recommend? I've never owned or played a Master System before so I'm not sure exactly what to get right off the bat.

Phantasy Star, Golden Axe Warrior, Wonder Boy in Monster Land and/or Dragon's Trap, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, hmm...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Ufouria's on the Virtual Console but be warned: the VC version is the PAL version running at 60HZ, but because Sunsoft used unusual techniques to create their signature bass sound, and because they actually retimed the music for the PAL release, the music is all hosed up when played at 60HZ.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1798/

Good thing the Japanese version has a translation patch!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

Was watching Game Sack today during a break at work and found a Sunsoft game for some reason that flew completely under my radar and I'm sure the rest of the thread will be like "duh, idiot."

Hebereke / Ufouria: The Saga

"Duh, idiot." :v:

It's a great game, but I definitely recommend the Famicom version over the European version. It's not cheap, but 4000 yen is better than $200.

While it's part of a fairly extensive series, I think the first game is the only one worth playing. Sunsoft seems to have tried to use the characters as mascots and slapped them onto a bunch of games that are just kind of okay.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Phantasy Star, Golden Axe Warrior, Wonder Boy in Monster Land and/or Dragon's Trap, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, hmm...

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

All Frogs posted:

The Shinobi port is pretty nice and stands apart from the arcade version, so you're off to a good start. Similarly, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is the only Alex Kidd game worth playing. Golvellius is Compile's answer to Zelda and plays a lot like The Guardian Legend. All of the Wonder Boy games are pretty cool. Kenseiden is extremely difficult and reminds me a lot of Castlevania.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

All Frogs posted:

In a couple days we'll be SMS buddies! I'm basically in the same boat as you. Never owned a Master System before. Have you considered doing the FM sound mod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISECbbAoBlw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Shlomo Palestein posted:

If you have any questions or get stuck at any point, feel free to ask me. I've modded a bunch of XBOXes and I know what you mean about the info being harder to find now that it's older.

• Locked thread